User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #1471
Paul_B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Here's my Tele with a closeup of the modified switch plate. Then a few simple amps I made with the LM368 chip. The first is a trial to see if the amp worked, and the second is the same thing but with adjustable gain, a larger speaker and a nice cigar box enclosure. Both are 9v battery powered and sound like you think they would, pretty cheap and tinny. Next is a homemede tube amp, maybe.

Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #1472
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_B View Post
Next is a homemede tube amp, maybe.
Going to use one of the kits? Or freehand it?

Going for a Marshall or Fender tone?
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #1473
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,697
Beautiful Tele.

Can't wait to get mine; it shipped today!

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #1474
Paul_B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
Going to use one of the kits? Or freehand it?

Going for a Marshall or Fender tone?
IF I build one it will be a Fender tone. I'm looking around online at kits and I honestly will probably just buy a Pro Jr. or a Blues Jr. for half of what it would cost to build my own amp that might or might not sound good.
Paul_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #1475
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
IF I build one it will be a Fender tone. I'm looking around online at kits and I honestly will probably just buy a Pro Jr. or a Blues Jr. for half of what it would cost to build my own amp that might or might not sound good.
I'd go with a 5C1 circuit. That's would be a Fender Champ 600. You can get a kit from Mojotone for $489.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #1476
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

My Dad just picked up another acoustic. Bought this from a guy that got it for his birthday... in 1974. He never touched it. Put it in a closet with no strings on it, and my Dad just picked it up. Basically new condition.

I don't think it was high end or anything, but kind of cool. I think he's giving it to my younger Sister.

Anyone know anything about these? (if there's anything to know).

It's a Fender, "made in USA" , presumably from 1974.

Hayduke screwed with this post 02-25-2013 at 04:25 PM
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #1477
bullittman281
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
hello,
I don't know if motojunkey has found a reasonably priced electric yet or not but here is my take on the deal. I'm a noob player as well and get as big or bigger kick out of wrenching on them as I do making noise. The secret squier deals are the SEs. They come from the strat packs.

The SE has a full size body and larger neck. Its very nearly the same as my MIM standard. They are identifiable by there 3 ply pick guard(the black ones have pearloid guards), better sealed tuners, full thickness body, and the serial number if still present is on a cheesy sticker on the back of the head stock. Its generally gone though. They came in back, white and a burst (I think). I only ever see black ones. So in your travels keep you eyes open for the SEs now that you know what they are. I have one that I've gone though and it gives up very little to my MIM.

some key things to look for with the squires are the neck and fret work. Most everything else can easily be fixed but if the fret work is bad then its much harder. Look down the neck and try to make sure it doesn't twist or have weird kinks in it. I briefly had a squier standard that had a curly looking neck and it never did play very well. Test each string at each fret for buzz to see if and of the frets are lower or higher than its neighbors. With some homemade tools fret leveling isn't the end of the world and can make a turd a real player, provided the neck isn't curly. Sharp fret ends can be carefully filed down so if that's the only flaw its not the end of the world.

I haunt craigslist and the pawn shops for SEs and pre 2000 affinities. I do not pay more than $50 for a squier. I actually got my "good" one for $10 but it was literally mashed (think Hendrix). I look for stuff that is filthy and slightly beat up with weird set up issues. It makes the bartering much easier. After a good set up they play great. There is NOTHING wrong with the low end squiers.

If your at guitar center or what ever music store play as many guitars that fit your budget as you can. If they have 10 bullets, play all 10 and pick the one that feels the best. I would wager that this goes for most guitars. I picked my MIM out of like 5 others. some were ok, some were real turds, and mine practically plays itself its so nice. It also still has the plastic sticky protecting the pic guard.

Another must have skill that will save money and open the door to screaming deals is being able to set your own guitar up. It sounds like you've started messing with the set up on you acoustic witch is good. A correctly set up guitar plays so much better then one that isn't. Its not hard to do and the electrics are easier that the acoustics. Lots if info on the net and youtube.

Hopefully this isn't all redundant and somebody gets something useful out of this.

bullittman
bullittman281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #1478
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittman281 View Post

Hopefully this isn't all redundant and somebody gets something useful out of this.

bullittman
Thanks for the info. It echos what I'm hearing/reading all over (not redundant - reinforcing) and the specific squire info is good.

I haven't purchased anything yet. I spent a few hours at a friend's house last week playing some very well set up acoustics and electrics and left motivated to go forward with modifying the saddle on my acoustic. I've been trying to score a replacement at a local shop so that I can hack on it and leave my original saddle alone, but I haven't had any luck. I've found one online but keep forgetting to order.

I also realized (and I don't know why it didn't stick sooner) that setup is very much personal preference. I'm able to tell that some guitars feel better than others, but I haven't quite nailed down all of the reasons why yet. Fun stuff to learn.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #1479
LPcreation
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
My Dad just picked up another acoustic. Bought this from a guy that got it for his birthday... in 1974. He never touched it. Put it in a closet with no strings on it, and my Dad just picked it up. Basically new condition.

I don't think it was high end or anything, but kind of cool. I think he's giving it to my younger Sister.

Anyone know anything about these? (if there's anything to know).

It's a Fender, "made in USA" , presumably from 1974.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Vintag...-/400269295770

I don't know anything about it, but it's def some sort of the "uni bar" series. The one I linked is the closest one I found. Not valuable in a financial sense, but still very cool.
LPcreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #1480
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Here's my Tele with a closeup of the modified switch plate. Then a few simple amps I made with the LM368 chip. The first is a trial to see if the amp worked, and the second is the same thing but with adjustable gain, a larger speaker and a nice cigar box enclosure. Both are 9v battery powered and sound like you think they would, pretty cheap and tinny. Next is a homemede tube amp, maybe.

Nice guitar! That one is from a special run that Fender did for Guitar Center a year or two ago. Reversed control plate, ash body (standard Mexican-made Tele's are alder), vintage 3-barrel bridge, butterscotch blonde finish. I like the reversed control plate. I did that to a Tele I used to have. It makes it easy to adjust the volume while playing.
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #1481
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,063
Quote:
Call Dan at www.fydamps.com You can have a Fender and a Marshall in one box. I just built one.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #1482
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Nice guitar! That one is from a special run that Fender did for Guitar Center a year or two ago. Reversed control plate, ash body (standard Mexican-made Tele's are alder), vintage 3-barrel bridge, butterscotch blonde finish. I like the reversed control plate. I did that to a Tele I used to have. It makes it easy to adjust the volume while playing.
They are making that special run again; I ordered one, and it should arrive via ups any minute!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #1483
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
They are making that special run again; I ordered one, and it should arrive via ups any minute!
I've got a Baja Tele on the way. I can't wait!
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #1484
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I've got a Baja Tele on the way. I can't wait!
It's here!

Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #1485
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: