Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #31
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
On Saturday (4/3) I posted this --

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase
New question.

A local friend who also rides a DR650 ordered the Wolfman side racks. He has not yet installed them and we were looking at them this evening. The racks are very well made.

But -- we both have the Suzuki OEM tail rack, and it seems the Wolfman racks are designed to mount right next to the frame. The problem is, there is no space between the frame and that Suzuki tail rack.

When we held the Wolfman racks up to the outside of the tail rack where the bolts recess, it appeared the brackets would not fasten properly at the rear foot-peg mounts.

So how do the Wolfman racks mount on the DR650 with the Suzuki tail rack without being in a bind?
I heard back from Wolfman today and the current DR650 racks are configured to mount sans luggage rack. IOW, on the DR they are currently designed to mount flush to the frame as we thought.

However, one of the guys at Wolfman has a DR and has ordered the OEM rack so they can install it on a DR and then do the technical work for fitment with the Suzuki rack. I appreciated his prompt reply and candor.

As I noted earlier the fit and finish is excellent, so the Wolfman racks will be worth waiting on for those who are not pressed by a calendar deadline.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #32
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,142
I had no problem whatsoever mounting wolfman's racks on my bike and I have a BBQ rack.
grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:56 PM   #33
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubneets
I had no problem whatsoever mounting Wolfman's racks on my bike and I have a BBQ rack.
Roger that. I'm just making an observation about mounting the Wolfman racks with the OEM Suzuki rack, not presenting a criticism of the Wolfman product.

Hey, the way it works they will get the kinks worked out and expand their sales base.

basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #34
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Buckle placement on seat

Hey guys, considering the Wolfman expedition bags. I already have SU racks.

I sit pretty far back on the seat on my XR650L. In all of the pictures it looks like the buckle for the top strap will be directly under me (not too comfy).

Anybody have any experience on where the buckle actually ends up on an XR650l?

Thanks,
Andy
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper
AndyCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #35
BBriggs
El Noobo

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCBR
Hey guys, considering the Wolfman expedition bags. I already have SU racks.

I sit pretty far back on the seat on my XR650L. In all of the pictures it looks like the buckle for the top strap will be directly under me (not too comfy).

Anybody have any experience on where the buckle actually ends up on an XR650l?

Thanks,
Andy
The buckles can position so that they are all the way to one side, off the seat.

Berg
Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #36
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Berg. Nice to know that is an option.

Looks like a sweet setup.

Andy
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #37
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by grub View Post
I had no problem whatsoever mounting wolfman's racks on my bike and I have a BBQ rack.
I just ordered the Wolfman side racks and Expedition pvc saddlebags, in black on black,
for my BBQ rack equipped 07 DR650.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:53 PM   #38
AndyCBR
Gnarly Adventurer

Just wanted to update on my experience with these racks/bags on the TAT.

The setup was bombproof and I am so glad I got away from the hard bag options. I took a few pretty good spills and I can assure you hard bags/racks would not have made it. The added "give" of the soft bag system makes them and the racks fare pretty well in crashes.

About the only difficulty I had was with zippers sticking from tons of fine dust getting lodged in them. Ended up using chain lube to help during the trip. The dust conditions were extreme so I wouldn't consider that a fault of the bags.

Great setup,
Andy
Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #39
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
I've been running Wolfman racks and expedition bags on a KLR650 for over a year. I thought I'd want hard bags, but Wolfie's system is versatile and relatively bombproof. The bags are made of the same material as commercial whitewater rafts, and will take a hell of a beating. The material is fairly easy to patch (check out a rafting supplier for materials should you have a puncture.) The racks are very well constructed, and add a measure of tail-end security in tip-overs, grunches, and other stupid mishaps.

If anyone has doubt about the durability of the PVC material used in the bags, I can only offer this:

I have a 15 year-old Cascade drybag of the same stuff, welded with the same techniques. It's been in canoes, rafts, bush planes, Landcruisers, and has been dropped, hurled, sat on, and floated down class 5. It recently traveled over 25,000 miles on KLRs while loan to some fellow ADV riders. It doesn't leak a drop. This is a sound construction method.

The thing that really sold me on the soft/simple/rugged system was riding my buddy's fully-farkled GS1200 adventure -- the luggage on which cost about half what I have into the whole KLR. I loved those shiny metal boxes. So big, so nice. . .

Until I mounted the beast and took a chunk out of my right shin on the hard metal edge. Inexperience, I thought. The next day, I mounted up again and hit the sore place right in the same spot on the same corner. $#!+ The notion formed in my mind, "If one of these were to come down on you in an off, it would sting a bit."

I looked at the newly-offered Rotopax mount for the Wolfie racks with a lil' drool on my chin. However, fitty bucks is after all fitty bucks. After a brain-out session, it occurred that simply welding a piece of hot-rolled steel into the inner portion of the "racetrack" would provide a fuel-can mounting point in conjunction with the Rotopax locking gizmo.

I'll post pics when it's done and painted.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 10-26-2011 at 10:16 AM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #40
SanSergio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Wolfman Rules!!! IMO!!!

Hello Everyone.... I personally enjoy the heck out of the Wolfman Bags. There is alot of thought from a riders perspective put into the design and construction of their bags. I live in Colorado so have been to their headquarters a few times and have been treated very well each time I've stopped to visit

Here is my new set up of Wolman Bags.....

Here's another view......

Here is my old set-up.....

I use two tank bags; One on the tank and the one on the tail (Tool Bag)
The Duffel Bag was great but made me top heavy and restricted my rider space when standing, yet make a very nice back rest for easy road trips. The old set-up made it back in one piece from the Copper Canyons!!!
Cant wait to go back with my new set-up. There are plenty of straps and tie-down points to accomodate any packing job you can think of or MacGyver on the fly.

This is my two cents... I lucked out on the first set of bags I ever bought, my only past experience and influence was packing my ALICE Pack and Sea Bag in the Marine Corps. You learn to pack light and pack tight!!!
SanSergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #41
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Well as soon as they come out with some side racks for the Honda XR650l I'll swoop on them and some Expedition Dry Bags.

I'm a waiting...
Hi Steve

You mean like these?

"Man, there's nothing worse than watching a mouth breather trying to smoke a cigarette." jdrocks
opjocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #42
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Homemade Rotopax Fuel Farkle

I wanted to mount a Rotopax can to the left side of my KLR650 with Wolfman racks. One can run the can and the bags together this way with a few strap adjustments. There is an aluminum plate offered for this purpose, but it's pricey. I wanted to see what I could come up with on the cheap with stuff from the shop. I am, after all, a KLR owner.

I didn't have any appropriate aluminum in the shop. I'd thought of phenolic sheet, but I didn't have any of that, either, and it's very costly. I'd considered welding a piece of steel to the racks, but that would spoil the powder coat.

Walking through my favorite discount store, I spied this:

Hmm, high-density polyethylene. Won't rust. Acoustically dead. Easy to mill. And this was 3/8" thick, easily up to the task of supporting about ten pounds, even over the rough stuff. Also, it's a nice match for my new translucent IMS tank, and cost less than the shipping on a similar piece from MSC.

In the shop, I cut a 5 1/2" square of the stuff, and carefully fit it inside of the "racetrack" on the racks. It's a snug fit so things won't move around. I drilled the plate for the quarter-twenty fasteners slightly under size, so the fasteners will actually thread into the material. No tapping needed, a steel screw will tap the plastic. This should avoid fretting.

A couple of strap clamps later, and this is what it looked like. At this stage, it's still a sort of mock-up. The supplied fasteners were a little short. I need to get longer ones tomorrow so the nylocs bite properly and I can put a washer under them.

The can mounts right up. I'd use a safety strap as shown for use without the bags. When used in conjunction with the Wolfman bags, that gas can ain't going nowhere.

Total investment (less the cost of the mount) well under ten bucks. Nearly fifty miles without stops -- priceless. Tell you how it works soon.

Canuman screwed with this post 11-06-2011 at 06:52 PM
Old 11-07-2011, 10:51 AM   #43
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
LOVE that Rotopax mount!

Also, I emailed Wolfman about racks for the 2009+ KLX250S and got this response:

Quote:
Hello Mike,

We are considering the KLX250S but I don’t know if or when they will be put into production. Check in with me periodically or our website. Thank you for your interest and I hope if we come out with them we do it in time for you!

Dusty Wessels

Office 800-535-8131
dusty@wolfmanluggage.com
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #44
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
LOVE that Rotopax mount!
Just got it all bolted together and stress tested. It's hell for stout. The Rotopax is squished against the rubber bits of the strap clamps, and the former cutting board is wedged tightly within the Wolfman "racetrack." I have no doubt it will take a hit. Will in never break? Can't say that much, but if I yard on the Rotopax, the entire luggage rack flexes. Confidence is high. Buying new stainless fasteners doubled the cost. If I drove down to Fastenal, I'm fairly sure I could have purchased a box for the cost of the twelve I used. Had to ride to see my honey, so Fastenal wasn't on the way.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #45
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Just bought Expedition Dry line Duffel bags for on the top on the weekend but haven't tried them out yet. Look nice a strong though. I have had the side racks for a while and they are great. The RotoPax fits perfect.

lexluther11 screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 05:42 PM
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote