ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
heepey
Lurker

Oddometer: 28
I have a GPSmap60csx that I have on Garmin's bicycle handlebar mount. It works well as a speedo and for navigating as well as it does in the car. The mount allows the GPS to easily move from one bike to the other. The controls are not very easy to use with gloves on. I wrap the wrist strap around something solid as insurance.
This is a multi use unit that I use for navigation, geocaching, data collection, as a speedometer when the dash goes out in the car, and carry it on both the street bike and the KLX650.
heepey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #17
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
So far I have been using an old Edge (I think 305) on my motorcycle.
The navigation on it is coordinate based with distance and direction only. However I can up load way points into it and get to a location, as long as I don't care about routeing. And it can store your tracks to upload to the computer. Its been kinda fun using it to go after tags and geo caches.

Not a replacement for maps or mapping GPSes but it is a tool.

The newer models look very nice and I'm sure they would be useful.

Craig
CBBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
stevenknapp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
I was just thinking about this. Specifically for a sportbike where space is limited and having SOME GPS would be better than none at all. My 276C would be too big I think. The new Edge 800 is even touchscreen.

Thanks for the insight!

FYI some good insight into the weather resistance of these.. http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/12/f...ion-tests.html
stevenknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
go::ahead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Does anyone have more experience to add to this thread? Doesn't seem to be many people going this route, I think it may be best for me though. Would like to hear more experienced opinions!

I just moved to Santa Fe and my maps collection has quickly doubled in size, not to mention most signage disappears around here. For years I've gotten by with google maps on my smartphone but data coverage is pretty much limited to urban areas in this state. At first I was looking at the Garmin Montana but really I would be using the unit much more on the mountain and cyclocross bikes than the KLR or truck, now I'm leaning towards the Edge series with turn by turn. For around $500 I'm only getting one GPS, has anyone gotten by with an Edge for similar usage? Gracias amigos!

Just for fun here is a pic of my ride down to the Rio Grand last night...

go::ahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #20
Adventurer

Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #21
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
I use a garmin e-trex vista for both my mountain bike and my motorcycle. They use the same handlebar mount. It is currently my only speedo/odo for my motorcycle. Works great.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #22
Adventurer

Oh geez, we used first gen e-trex on the ambulance to get coordinates to helicopters on remote scenes. I would hate to actually have to navigate on that thing! No I need the capability for turn-by-turn for the forest roads out here
Old 09-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #23
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Over the past 11 years I've had half a dozen different gps's and none of them were perfect. Now I use my droid phone with Google maps and a dashboard app most of the time. Works fine here in the East with good cell coverage but I suspect it wouldn't due for you.
bob393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #24
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob393 View Post
Over the past 11 years I've had half a dozen different gps's and none of them were perfect. Now I use my droid phone with Google maps and a dashboard app most of the time. Works fine here in the East with good cell coverage but I suspect it wouldn't due for you.
Ya I have gotten away with that setup that last few years but here in New Mexico data coverage is limited to cities (all 3 of them). I know I won't find a "perfect" GPS because it will be used for too many different things, I have found Garmin 605 refurbs fairly cheap though so maybe I could get a dedicated moto gps later on without sinking in too much money
2012 Masi CX SS
Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #25
Adventurer

Just scored a Garmin 605 for just over a bill on Ebay, I'll report back once I put some miles on the unit
2012 Masi CX SS
Old 10-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
Adventurer

Finally figured out how to load freeware maps onto the Garmin, go to http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...ap-to-the-GPS/ to upgrade from Basecamp for free. With a decent street map I found online I can atleast search by address, nearest gas station, etc. Not quite turn-by-turn but pretty close! Since these units are made for cyclists I used an old seat tube I had in the parts bin to use as a mount, I spaced all the clamped surfaces with thick rubber. Hopefully I don't vibrate the thing to death riding down the highway...

2012 Masi CX SS
Old 10-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #27
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 808
I picked up an Edge 200 today and it works OK on a motorcycle, put it on my Norton as the stock speedo does not work well...it has some features that work well on a MC. quick release mount, a backlight, and it would be easy to wire up a USB socket so that the charger cable could be connected full time...otherwise battery life is up to 14 hours per Garmin...rides can be uploaded to garmin connect or other sites (including Google earth) and that is a very cool feature but have only played with that a little so far.

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #28
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by go::ahead View Post
Oh geez, we used first gen e-trex on the ambulance to get coordinates to helicopters on remote scenes. I would hate to actually have to navigate on that thing! No I need the capability for turn-by-turn for the forest roads out here
The eTrex 20 has turn by turn navigating, a good color screen that is very visible in bright light, takes custom maps, has a uSD card slot and only costs $165 at gpscity if anyone is looking for an alternative for these purposes.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?

FatChance screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 01:07 PM
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #29
Adventurer

Might as well post up since I finally took a ride worth talking about, lately it has only been commuting around town. So yesterday I finally had a day off and decided to go wander around Los Alamos and the surrounding forests.
The gps mostly serves as well as I'd hoped for my purposes. However I'm having issues using the navigation features, hoping its just because I loaded a freeware map on the unit. I can create a 'course' in Connect and navigate that way but when searching by address or for gas I get an error saying "no roads close to the starting location" and the unit just creates a straight line from point A to point B. Hopefully using a better Garmin map will solve that issue, anyone else experience that problem?

Other than that I'm very happy with it. Having a gps takes one element of uncertainty out of exploring the vast public lands around me. Yesterday I ended up taking forest roads around and through Bandalier National Monument

2012 Masi CX SS