User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #1
OtterChaos OP
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 416
Five days in Baja, what to do?

I may have a chance to spend 5 days riding in Baja next week and was wondering where I might get to and what I might do. I'm not in any hurry and have never ridden in Mexico before so have no idea what places I might get to on such a short time frame. Any help would be appreciated. Trip would be on normal roads no single track etc. dirt/gravel would be ok.

edited to add, I have family in Coronado so would probably stay the night there and cross the border the next morning. Would it make better sense to backtrack and cross at Tecate or just go across in Tijuana?

OtterChaos screwed with this post 12-17-2014 at 12:43 AM
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #2
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,850
What are you riding and what are your interests? The ability to ride some dirt roads opens up a lot of additional possibilities.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Fosdick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
A couple of us will be entering Mexicali probably Monday morning. Maybe Sunday if we get to border by Saturday night. Heading to San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay, Bahia LA, San Francisquito, etc. Welcome to ride along. We'll be down there for two weeks. Both on 650s.
Fosdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,258
With the rainy and cool weather now, I'd stick with the Sea of Cortez side as much as possible. San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay, and maybe Bahia de Los Angeles. From Coronado, I'd cross at Tijuana, ride south to Ensenada, and then go east to San Felipe, etc.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,214
I'd recommend the following:

Day 1 - Cross at Tecate and take the Compadre Trail down to Ojos Negro, and then head west and stay at Horsepower Ranch. Maybe a side trip to Laguna Hansen between Tecate and Ojos.

Day 2 - Highway thru Ensenada and south to Santo Tomas, then dirt to the coast and south thru Erindira to Colonet. Stay at Hotel del Paraiso.

Day 3 - North on the highway from Colonet, and then take what may call the wine road east to Valle de Trinidad. A bit of Highway east, and then cut south through Laguna Diablo to San Felipe.

Day 4 - Backtrack to Valle De Trinidad, and then head south to Mike's Sky Ranch for the night.

Day 5 - Mike's north to Valle T; just a bit of highway and then cut east of Hwy 3, and you can pretty much stay on dirt all the way north to Tecate again.

Another option would be to just head south from Tecate to Mike's Sky Ranch on Day 1; to San Felipe on Day 2; hang around San Felipe Day 3 (maybe take a trip to the giant cactus south of SF); back to Mike's or HP Ranch on Day 4; and back to Tecate on Day 5.

Have fun! Baja is a blast!
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
[QUOTE=OtterChaos;25727905]I may have a chance to spend 5 days riding in Baja next week and was wondering where I might get to and what I might do. I'm not in any hurry and have never ridden in Mexico before so have no idea what places I might get to on such a short time frame. Any help would be appreciated. Trip would be on normal roads no single track etc. dirt/gravel would be ok.
QUOTE]

Normal roads in Baja, dirt/gravel can have a mix of everything thrown in. Not a lot of dirt as in compact dirt, but lots of gravel, rocks and sand, sometimes deeper sand. From Gonzaga Bay to Highway 1, you'd experience this. If you're experienced on this kind of stuff, you'll have a lot of fun. If not, it'll be a long day. Fuel up at San Felipe, top up at Gonzaga Bay. San Felipe to Gonzaga 100 miles. Gonzaga to Bay of LA 110 miles, or Gonzaga to Villa Jesus Maria 130 miles.
Bring tire patching stuff and a few liters of water
Old 12-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
OtterChaos OP
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

I'll be on a Moto Guzzi V7 so no trail riding for me but I can do decent dirt roads. As for interests I don't really have any per se, just want to get a feel for riding in Mexico/Baja.

The bike in question;
Old 12-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
OtterChaos OP
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalacticGS View Post
I'd recommend the following:

Day 1 - Cross at Tecate and take the Compadre Trail down to Ojos Negro, and then head west and stay at Horsepower Ranch. Maybe a side trip to Laguna Hansen between Tecate and Ojos.

Day 2 - Highway thru Ensenada and south to Santo Tomas, then dirt to the coast and south thru Erindira to Colonet. Stay at Hotel del Paraiso.

Day 3 - North on the highway from Colonet, and then take what may call the wine road east to Valle de Trinidad. A bit of Highway east, and then cut south through Laguna Diablo to San Felipe.

Day 4 - Backtrack to Valle De Trinidad, and then head south to Mike's Sky Ranch for the night.

Day 5 - Mike's north to Valle T; just a bit of highway and then cut east of Hwy 3, and you can pretty much stay on dirt all the way north to Tecate again.

Another option would be to just head south from Tecate to Mike's Sky Ranch on Day 1; to San Felipe on Day 2; hang around San Felipe Day 3 (maybe take a trip to the giant cactus south of SF); back to Mike's or HP Ranch on Day 4; and back to Tecate on Day 5.

Have fun! Baja is a blast!
Very cool! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check the map.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #9
OtterChaos OP
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

[QUOTE=Hill Climber;25734435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterChaos View Post
I may have a chance to spend 5 days riding in Baja next week and was wondering where I might get to and what I might do. I'm not in any hurry and have never ridden in Mexico before so have no idea what places I might get to on such a short time frame. Any help would be appreciated. Trip would be on normal roads no single track etc. dirt/gravel would be ok.
QUOTE]

Normal roads in Baja, dirt/gravel can have a mix of everything thrown in. Not a lot of dirt as in compact dirt, but lots of gravel, rocks and sand, sometimes deeper sand. From Gonzaga Bay to Highway 1, you'd experience this. If you're experienced on this kind of stuff, you'll have a lot of fun. If not, it'll be a long day. Fuel up at San Felipe, top up at Gonzaga Bay. San Felipe to Gonzaga 100 miles. Gonzaga to Bay of LA 110 miles, or Gonzaga to Villa Jesus Maria 130 miles.
Bring tire patching stuff and a few liters of water
Thanks for the ideas, I've ridden a few dirt roads on the bike but wouldn't call myself experienced but would be willing to give it a try. Have ridden motocross bikes in my distant past but am curious to see how I do now.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #10
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Very cool! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check the map.
Much of what indicated probably shouldn't be done on the Moto Guzzi.

You could do the Compadre Trail from Tecate to Ojos. Probably take the road to Mike's Sky Ranch. Depending on conditions, you might be able to make the "high road" along side of Laguna Diablo to San Felipe.

On the other hand, just taking pavement can be fun too. Stopping at the little towns for tacos, tamales, birria, cervezas, and margaritas.
"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,258
[QUOTE=OtterChaos;25734574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post

Thanks for the ideas, I've ridden a few dirt roads on the bike but wouldn't call myself experienced but would be willing to give it a try. Have ridden motocross bikes in my distant past but am curious to see how I do now.
You could probably do the dirt road from the end of the pavement south of Gonzaga bay to Hwy 1. I saw a Mazda Miata make it a few years ago when there were many miles less pavement than now. There is loose dirt/sand between tire tracks, lots of rocks (bad for cast wheels like those), and occasional sandy washes. You might think about a more dual sport oriented front tire if you want to ride it.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 10:44 PM   #12
OtterChaos OP
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

[QUOTE=jonz;25734639]
Quote:

You could probably do the dirt road from the end of the pavement south of Gonzaga bay to Hwy 1. I saw a Mazda Miata make it a few years ago when there were many miles less pavement than now. There is loose dirt/sand between tire tracks, lots of rocks (bad for cast wheels like those), and occasional sandy washes. You might think about a more dual sport oriented front tire if you want to ride it.
Thanks, I have changed the front tire to a Kenda 761 which has a bit more off road aspirations but just a bit more. I guess I'll head down and see what I see.
Old Yesterday, 12:21 AM   #13
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,850
5 days and pavement, I'd head south to where it's warmer. Day 1 down hwy1 to Cantavina or maybe BoLA. BoLA is kind of a push especially for your first trip. Day 2 down to Mulege or Loreto. Day 3 chill and do some local exploring or start back with an overnight in San Ignacio. Day back 4 to San Felipe (13 miles of rocky dirt but you should be fine) and day 5 back to Coronado.

Or maybe I'd just head south and see where I feel like stopping. All you really need is a AAA map and some pesos.

http://www.blackswanmoto.com
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM   #14
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
FYI, if you travel San Felipe-Puertecitos-Gonzaga Bay etc, there are some killer dips (vados) in the pavement a few miles north of Puertecitos. Most vados are signed... not all......
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #15
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post
FYI, if you travel San Felipe-Puertecitos-Gonzaga Bay etc, there are some killer dips (vados) in the pavement a few miles north of Puertecitos. Most vados are signed... not all......
Vado means ford
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote