User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
rpilottx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
US to Tierra del Fuego

I am putting out a feeler about riding partners from the US to the tip of South America. I am thinking about leaving in Jan, 2015, and heading south. I am planning a month in Guatemala doing intensive language training and heading south from there.

Anyone interested? I am 62 and have done Alaska a few times. Don't have a hard schedule at this time. I normally ride a GSA but am thinking of getting a KLR for this trip.
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Jarle
The Warrior

Oddometer: 25
too early for me

A little too early for me.
I begin my trip in May 2015.

http://jarleeek.wordpress.com/
Jarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Section8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Heading South

I'm in for an October 2015 departure. Robert.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
rpilottx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,419
Well, nothing is set. I may be going too early in the season but I will definitely be riding to Guatemala in early 2015 for a month to two months of Spanish training.
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
ibtoddster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
you may run into cold temps

January would be best for tdf
remember sa seasons are opposite of ours
i'm planning leaving usa around nov 1, 2014
ibtoddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
cejnys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I am planning to leave mid Sep 2014 from Texas, hope to reach Ushuaia by the end of Feb 15....

www.aroundsouthamerica.info
cejnys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Rickboss
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I plan on going down this October 2014 and being in Guatemala for 2 months as well. I'd probably be taking off by the time you are getting there though...
Rickboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,399
Ya probably want to figure on arriving in Ushuaia the month of January.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
Iron Butt #35784
bush pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:00 PM   #9
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 809
A little to late (or early) for me. Have a great ride and enjoy the language school!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
xlcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
I'm in for an October 2015 departure. Robert.
I,m leaveing in October as well,maybe see you on the way.How are you getting to Columbia from Panama?
xlcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
Section8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
heading south 2015

Initially looking at the Stallratte, but am thinking of also flying it over might be an option, I'm heading to the HU meeting in Nakusp in August and will see what the general concencus is. It's half and half with the riders I've spoken with on boating or flying. Were you at last years HU meet on a modified Sportster? Robert.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #12
bdn
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejnys View Post
I am planning to leave mid Sep 2014 from Texas, hope to reach Ushuaia by the end of Feb 15....
I'm planning to leave from CA around same time and to reach Ushuaia end Jan- middle Feb 2015, I have a brand new 2014 GSAW but I now have second thoughts reading those issues with the final drive...which looks like were resolved by BMW, but I should have gotten the KTM or at least a bike with chain and not with shaft!!! :)
The bike has 670 miles and will have the first service soon, runs great but I'm not 100% sure now that it is the right bike for this trip....however, if the final drive is going to be ok and last to Houston TX then it should be fine all the way down to Ushuaia, I hope :). I'll meet you guys in Houston couple of days before we leave, btw I'm 37 yr old, borned and reaised in Romania and moved to US in 2002 with a work visa. I'm a US citizen now. This week I'm going to order the spare parts and than I should be all set. :)) See you guys soon! Great website!

bdn screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 11:37 PM
bdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:16 PM   #13
bdn
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
Initially looking at the Stallratte, but am thinking of also flying it over might be an option, I'm heading to the HU meeting in Nakusp in August and will see what the general concencus is. It's half and half with the riders I've spoken with on boating or flying. Were you at last years HU meet on a modified Sportster? Robert.
it looks like Stallratte is the best option if you go on the boat, do you know if they require a reservation in advance?
Old 07-20-2014, 11:45 PM   #14
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdn View Post
planning to leave from CA around same time and to reach Ushuaia end Jan- middle Feb 2015 , I have a brand new 2014 GSAW but I now have seconds thoughts reading those issues with the final drive.... The bike has 670 miles and will have the first service soon, runs great but I'm not 100% sure now that it is the right bike for this trip.
Brand new 1st generation of any motorcycle brand may not be the best bike for any extended trip.

Be aware that most motorcycles in Mexico, CA and SA are small displacement bikes.
Having only experienced traveling in Mexico, I like the idea of having a bike that blends in with the crowd and does not scream "rich gringo".
I take my GSA to Baja but prefer my DR650 for mainland Mexico and future CA and SA trips.
Easier to find mechanics to maintain (no fuel injection, final drive or fancy electronics).
For security most hotels allow you to park motorcycles in lobby or courtyard and smaller bike easier to handle.
Lighter to load and unload off ships or planes.
Can be picked up easily when it falls over.
Basically disposable if you decide not to ride home and you're not out much money if it's stolen.
I also make it a practice to cover my bikes when parked even here in the USA.
The larger GS would be comfortable and faster for the few days traveling the freeways but most roads south of the border are slow going with 80 to 100 kph speedlimits and towns seem to be around every corner.
I always have difficulty slowing down to enjoy the scenery and "smell the roses" and smaller bike forces me to take it easy.

Safe travels whatever you ride.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #15
bdn
n00b

Holckster, many thanks for the advice! You are perfectly right and it looks like I now have less than two months which should be enough time to get a smaller bike and get it ready for this trip.
The brand new GSA indeed is not the right bike for this adventure...I need a bike with chain, sprokets, no fancy electronics as you said and go very light, probably no panniers too, to be able to go between cars/trucks on small streets when needed.