Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
bkwags OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
BKWags: WI to Niagra Falls, NJ, Down Coast to NC and home

Hey all,

Looking for some nice roads for my wife and I to take on a trip to see relatives in NJ and NC. Do a little sight seeing and have a some local food and meet some of the folks in the area.

We start in Madison WI, head to MKE, take the ferry across to Muskegon. We want to stop in Niagara Falls, Northern Jersey, take the coast down to Morehead City NC, then hit the Dragons Tail before heading home.

The first part of the trip to the Dragons Tail will be leisurely. After that it will probably be a quick shot home.

We like to drive about 250-300 miles per day on secondary roads and ~400 or so on the highway. Planning on taking 2 weeks, maybe more, with a couple days each in northern NJ and NC to visit family.

Thinking about doing this in late May.

Appreciate any suggestions!
BKWags
bkwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
4PawsHacienda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
Heading west from Morehead City(Beaufort NC one of my favorites) to Dragon area I'm guessing you'll head towards Asheville, if so add 15 minutes to your trip by taking Hwy 64 around Raleigh, the section from Raleigh to Winston Salem is a PITA, from there west it's smooth and fast. Also a very long day.

Coming down the coast through the quiet side of the Chesapeake is a pleasant ride. 13 & 17 are decent roads. If you can figure out how to miss the larger NC cities - do it, they don't have anything you haven't seen before. Asheville is good, so's the beer.
4PawsHacienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
OldSilverFox
Let's Go!

Oddometer: 421
If your in central WI and not done the north shore of Lake Superior it's well worth the trip. Ride on the north side of the lake and continue on the north side of Lake Huron until you get to Espanola. Take # 6 south ( very nice ride) and cross the swingbridge to Manitoulin Is. Continue on to South Baymouth to take the ferry to Tobermoray . (Check Ontario Ferries http://ontarioferries.com for the rates and schedule). There are lots of nice back roads and small towns to meander through to get to Niagara Falls from Tobermoray south. You could then cross into Niagara Falls NY and continue east.
Enjoy your ride.
TCAT Ride Report .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825909
OldSilverFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
antirich5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
Which part of NJ are you heading too?

There are surprisingly nice ways to get here from your direction; good back roads and nature as well.

but lots of places you want to avoid as well ;-)

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM   #5
bkwags OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antirich5 View Post

There are surprisingly nice ways to get here from your direction; good back roads and nature as well.

We'll be based in NW Jersey, near Sussex for a couple days. On the way down we may spend a night in Wildwood. Rekindle some old memories. Maybe play some shuffle board, like my folks used to. If the boards are still there???? Now that I am of that generation myself.
Old Yesterday, 06:41 PM   #6
NJ-Bill
Life is good

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwags View Post
We'll be based in NW Jersey, near Sussex for a couple days. On the way down we may spend a night in Wildwood. Rekindle some old memories. Maybe play some shuffle board, like my folks used to. If the boards are still there???? Now that I am of that generation myself.
If you visit Wildwood on your way to NC, you should take the ferry from Cape May to Lewes, DE.
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #7
bkwags OP
Adventurer

Niagra to NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by antirich5 View Post

We'll be staying a day or so in Kinnelon and then headed south from there. I am interested in hearing about ways down from the falls. Would like to see some scenery but still make time.

Definitely would like to know about the places to avoid.
Old Today, 09:40 AM   #8
bkwags OP
Adventurer

Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Bill View Post
If you visit Wildwood on your way to NC, you should take the ferry from Cape May to Lewes, DE.
That's the tentative plan right now. I need to do a bit more research and get their schedule.
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #9
bkwags OP
Adventurer

Huron

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSilverFox View Post
If your in central WI and not done the north shore of Lake Superior it's well worth the trip. Ride on the north side of the lake and continue on the north side of Lake Huron until you get to Espanola. Take # 6 south ( very nice ride) and cross the swingbridge to Manitoulin Is. Continue on to South Baymouth to take the ferry to Tobermoray . (Check Ontario Ferries http://ontarioferries.com for the rates and schedule). There are lots of nice back roads and small towns to meander through to get to Niagara Falls from Tobermoray south. You could then cross into Niagara Falls NY and continue east.
Enjoy your ride.
Not sure we'll have the time for that. IF we decide to do the loop backwards, we might free lance that if we have the chance. I have done the Lake Superior loop and Lake Mich loops, so putting Lake Huron on my "done that" list would be nice.