Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #15196
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,390
So Pilot815 and I were headed to the Anzalduas bridge for permits today. Well, his KLR started acting up, coughing and stalling and dying two or three times.

He decided to take my advice; I told him, if it starts again head back to my garage and let's tear into it.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #15197
rodrut
Ride Central America

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Or you might prefer to come with SR and I next month to run the Sierra off-road from Durango to Mazatlán. Leaving DGO June 21 (Friday), overnight in the Sierra, and hit the beach at Maz Saturday afternoon.

Not so much coffee on that run but a tequila or two Friday night at the cabins

Dirt

Lots of it
That sounds like my kind of trip. I would like to join you guys for that one. Thanx for the heads up.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #15198
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
So Pilot815 and I were headed to the Anzalduas bridge for permits today. Well, his KLR started acting up, coughing and stalling and dying two or three times.

He decided to take my advice; I told him, if it starts again head back to my garage and let's tear into it.
zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance
deja vue
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #15199
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Nothing a little gas in the tank could not solve.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #15200
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Nothing a little gas in the tank could not solve.

Yup, made the mistake of not filling the tank all the way and then not riding enough in the last couple weeks and forgot. I didn't think that fuel starvation would be a problem at 120 miles on the trip odo.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:24 AM   #15201
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,266
Hey JD!

When is your new Water Buffalo going to get here?

I know the "Water Buffalo" moniker was first used for the original water cooled 750 Suzuki back in the early 70's or late 60's, but if you think about it, the tag will fit the new GSA even better. It is a big ol' thang that will normally take the easiest route, but if necessary or "riled up", it can go through or over just about anything! That's my story and I am sticking to it!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #15202
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Hey JD!

I know the "Water Buffalo" moniker was first used for the original water cooled 750 Suzuki back in the early 70's or late 60's, but if you think about it, the tag will fit the new GSA even better. It is a big ol' thang that will normally take the easiest route, but if necessary or "riled up", it can go through or over just about anything! That's my story and I am sticking to it!
You know, Donnie, Harley has a water cooled model, too.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #15203
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
You know, Donnie, Harley has a water cooled model, too.
Yes, I know. But that model will only go to the local dealership to be worked on and/or have new chrome installed.

On a serious note. I have wanted a Harley all of my life, but had to accept the fact that they made nothing suitable for my riding style! I was not willing to adapt my riding style to match their limit abilities. However, during my road touring (Goldwing) days, I actually wished that they would have re-tuned the V-Rod engine a bit and put it in a touring moto. I would have purchased one.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #15204
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Hey Pilot, they do run way better with gas in the tank. I've found out a few times that hard way that the mileage of the KLR drops extremely fast at high speeds on the highway, by well over 30%.
Pilot was feeling a bit peppy yesterday. I got left behind more than a few times at lights. I don't think he notices speed limits signs at all.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #15205
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Quote:
Hey JD!

You got that right. I'd gone out a couple of times on the very light and giggly fun new-to-me WR250R and when I got on the GS after a couple of weeks off I felt like I was on a ponderous, unwieldy aircraft carrier.

Pedro Navaja may have it right with a light bike. I can see myself riding the WR longer distances once setup right. After all, it's the backroads most of us enjoy most.

A KLR is (obviously) a good alternative. I'd been pondering possibly picking up a used 690R but after reading and pondering the choice quite a bit, decided to stick to the KLR. I've got a new KLX450 front end coming, mucho spendy but cheaper than a KTM to make a good, reliable bike better. I'm also going to upgrade the shock and possibly the tank and, of course, the bars. It should be a very nice Mexico bike by the time I get done with it.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #15206
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,352
[QUOTE=SR;21367723]Have you guys seen these riding shorts? I thought bicycle riding shorts were a good idea but these look even better. I just ordered a pair.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...tan-race-short

I took the WR450 out last weekend. The handling is amazing. The suspension is a modern technological marvel! The seat is a little hard.

Looks like fun in a twisted sort of way. I'm sure you're grooving on that new scooter.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #15207
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Quote:
Hey JD!

LSBMW says January but I think we'll see it when we see it. I intend to wait for a color I like anyway. Some say yellow is the fastest.

If Mom can find that old pic of my uncle's Water Buffalo I'll post it here.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #15208
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Hey JD!

That, and water buffalo evokes memories of the infamous rubber cow BMWs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #15209
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Pilot, they do run way better with gas in the tank. I've found out a few times that hard way that the mileage of the KLR drops extremely fast at high speeds on the highway, by well over 30%.
Yeah I've noticed that too. In this case however, I went to fill up and didn't fill it all the way, but I cant remember why. Maybe because I knew I was going to be removing it for maintenance. However due to weather and other things I haven't been riding it, and I forgot about that. When I had a million possible reasons for it to stop running going through my head, I never thought it would be out of gas at 130 miles, about 70 short of when I usually fill up. I just decided to flip the reserve on and sure enough, it worked!

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #15210
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pilot has been in Mexico too long. He doesn't understand speed limit signs anymore. The only understands topes!!
He asked me if I paid attention to speed limit signs. I looked at him and said "sure, when the police are around." It's worked well thus far, I have only been pulled over once and it was like 8 years ago.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1