User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #15436
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
Head's up for Mexico City.
First, it looks very possible that motorcycles will be included in the daily restriction on vehicles based on plate numbers.
Second, they have incorporated a motorcycle and bicycle area at intersections just behind pedestrian crossings so you can filter to the front of lines and fill the space at lights.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:08 AM   #15437
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Hey Donnie!

Yes! But is it big enough to haul all the parts that fall off your bike??

Think I'd rather have this.

I think a back pack might work! Only small parts fall off! Well, except for that one time!
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #15438
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

On a serious note, I am moving more and more toward the thinking that south of the border, the smallest moto possible for what you need to haul is the best. Given proper ground clearance and a quality suspension. Of course this 800cc weighs about the same as the Orange 1190, plus orange includes in its base price what Blue wants you to mortgage the house for! But my main problem with this particular Blue is the amount of engines that have died. I have never actually researched engine failures on the 800, but five or more 800 engines have failed on RRs I happened to be following. I have read that Rotax addressed a oiling problem in the cam bearing area, but Radioman's moto, which had the entire engine replaced, is a 2011 model! Of course either the Blue or the Orange will fit through a motel door better than the R1???GSs.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:36 AM   #15439
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

FREE R1100GS BENT FRONT WIRE WHEEL.

I will put this in the more proper location in next few days, but I thought I would give folks here the first opportunity. I put about 20,000 miles on the wheel since it was bent. I put a tube in it because it would leak air if it had less than 20 pounds of air. I sent a picture to Woody's and they said it could not be fixed! The wheel has an ABS ring, but no rotors, I used them on the "new" used wheel. If you have a need for a hub or some spokes, it might be of value to you.

You pay shipping! I have no idea what it would cost to ship it. It was shipped from Texas to Mississippi by US Mail.

Donnie
Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 AM   #15440
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Donnie, I haven't heard of an oiling problem for the Rotax motors, I have a version of that motor in my bike.
The Adventure version of the new design F800 has a larger gas tank and stronger frame in that area, but I don't see it offering that much more than the standard F800. You can get traction control and a few other things on the new model, or a bare bones one but only in the USA, not here.
I have ridden with a guy who has a new F800 and he really liked it. We went over the bike and he showed me the obvious and not so obvious changes and the thing should do 100,000kms easy without any issues since they redesigned the alternator and appear to have the fuel pump controller, air filter, rear wheel bearings, steering head bearings, etc... issues taken care of.
They are more expensive here and your choices are limited. It'll still be a bit of a pig to wrestle around in the dirty parts.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #15441
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

You'll soon see these in the city of big smoke.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #15442
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Donnie, I haven't heard of an oiling problem for the Rotax motors, I have a version of that motor in my bike.
The Adventure version of the new design F800 has a larger gas tank and stronger frame in that area, but I don't see it offering that much more than the standard F800. You can get traction control and a few other things on the new model, or a bare bones one but only in the USA, not here.
I have ridden with a guy who has a new F800 and he really liked it. We went over the bike and he showed me the obvious and not so obvious changes and the thing should do 100,000kms easy without any issues since they redesigned the alternator and appear to have the fuel pump controller, air filter, rear wheel bearings, steering head bearings, etc... issues taken care of.
They are more expensive here and your choices are limited. It'll still be a bit of a pig to wrestle around in the dirty parts.

Hi Mike!

I have never read of your version having a problem, even though it uses the same engine with different tuning. I was following a couple from Canada to South America, Chile specifically if I remember correctly. Both 800GSs required a rebuild before returning. The tab was picked up by Canada BMW, since Germany BMW would do nothing. The title was something like "Bentilader" or some thing like that. I am too lazy to look it up. Radioman bought a brand new 2011, the engine eat itself and an entire engine was sent in by BMW to replace the faulty engine. When I was in Alaska about 18 months ago. A German was at the guys place that changes a lot of tires in Fairbanks with some issues in the cam area. While I was there, they were thinking a cam tensioner was faulty. I don't know the outcome. His wife was riding the 650 version of the 800 without problems. A fellow over in the Russia area had a short, abandoned RR when his 800GS failed. I have read of a few other 800GS motos with problems, but can't remember the specifics. Personally, I have more confidence in Rotax's quality that I do BMW's, but I have reservations about the 800GSs. I will continue to watch, because on paper, I really like the 800GS and the Adventure version makes it even more interesting, at least on paper. BTW, the incidences that I mention were not due to any investigation on my part, they just happen to occur on RRs I was following, plus the one I observed in Alaska.

if I were starting an extended South America or around the world ride and planned on being solo, I would purchase the new 650 Dakar with ABS! Another Rotax engine with a stellar reputation!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #15443
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Donnie, ok, yes I know of a couple of the incidents you mentioned but I wasn't sure about the oiling.
I remember a couple that had problems in Lima, Peru or some place and got a real raw deal from Motorrad. A buddy of mine had his entire motor replaced when an internal bearing went south, he paid for the install but Motorrad sent him the new motor. His bike later burned to the ground in a very violent fire that was limited to the bike, nobody could find the cause and the insurance paid him out. I have seen a few F8 motors in pieces at the dealer, there were cam chain issues on some. I replaced the tensioner on mine simply as preventive maintenance and the new improved tensioner was nothing more than the old parts having to be bought as a "bundle" and the pieces were exactly the same as the old one! No improvements there!
What is odd, is that BMW "opened" up the valve specs on the F8 and the F658 (mine) via service bulletin, and then "closed" the valve specs again in another bulletin but said anyone could keep using the revised "open" specs if they cared to without a problem. Go figure!
BMW also specified 15W-40 for the bike, but the local dealer here only used 20W-50 and never had 15W-40 for sale so all work was carried out with 20W-50. Now, BMW carries a recommendation for 15W-50. Go figure!
The range of the bike is around 350 to 400kms with normal throttle, I don't see the larger tank as being all that necessary on the so called "Adventure" model. Besides, you won't go more than a few hours on the stock seat before your asss end complains bitterly. Worst seat ever on a bike IMHO.
Chain adjustments are a pain to get absolutely correct until you get the hang of it, same goes for the simple task of checking the oil. They are a great platform for Mexico, but some parts can have you cussing.
When I had the chance to see the new F8 up close and give it a going over, BMW made some more user friendly modifications, like the center stand for example.
On the 2008-2012 models, you will be lucky to reach 100,000kms without the cam chain and the alternator (at least the stator and the regulator/rectifier) needing replacement. You'll get well over 40,000kms out of the factory chain and sprockets if you are religious with chain maintenance. When you have to start adjusting it, you'll be looking at replacing it. You can change the gearing on the F8 easily and there are devices to make the throttle more manageable but I never had a problem with it.
I am not convinced that they are a true "round the world" bike out of the box, but you can make one out of it, probably. The new F8's have more power and go like stink!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #15444
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Donnie, ok, yes I know of a couple of the incidents you mentioned but I wasn't sure about the oiling.
I remember a couple that had problems in Lima, Peru or some place and got a real raw deal from Motorrad. A buddy of mine had his entire motor replaced when an internal bearing went south, he paid for the install but Motorrad sent him the new motor. His bike later burned to the ground in a very violent fire that was limited to the bike, nobody could find the cause and the insurance paid him out. I have seen a few F8 motors in pieces at the dealer, there were cam chain issues on some. I replaced the tensioner on mine simply as preventive maintenance and the new improved tensioner was nothing more than the old parts having to be bought as a "bundle" and the pieces were exactly the same as the old one! No improvements there!
What is odd, is that BMW "opened" up the valve specs on the F8 and the F658 (mine) via service bulletin, and then "closed" the valve specs again in another bulletin but said anyone could keep using the revised "open" specs if they cared to without a problem. Go figure!
BMW also specified 15W-40 for the bike, but the local dealer here only used 20W-50 and never had 15W-40 for sale so all work was carried out with 20W-50. Now, BMW carries a recommendation for 15W-50. Go figure!
The range of the bike is around 350 to 400kms with normal throttle, I don't see the larger tank as being all that necessary on the so called "Adventure" model. Besides, you won't go more than a few hours on the stock seat before your asss end complains bitterly. Worst seat ever on a bike IMHO.
Chain adjustments are a pain to get absolutely correct until you get the hang of it, same goes for the simple task of checking the oil. They are a great platform for Mexico, but some parts can have you cussing.
When I had the chance to see the new F8 up close and give it a going over, BMW made some more user friendly modifications, like the center stand for example.
On the 2008-2012 models, you will be lucky to reach 100,000kms without the cam chain and the alternator (at least the stator and the regulator/rectifier) needing replacement. You'll get well over 40,000kms out of the factory chain and sprockets if you are religious with chain maintenance. When you have to start adjusting it, you'll be looking at replacing it. You can change the gearing on the F8 easily and there are devices to make the throttle more manageable but I never had a problem with it.
I am not convinced that they are a true "round the world" bike out of the box, but you can make one out of it, probably. The new F8's have more power and go like stink!

I could not see the justification for moving from a 800GS to a 800GSA, but if you were going to purchase a 800GS, I would look very hard at the Adventure series. I have ridden in a number of places up north and plan to ride places down south that fuel capacity would be an issue. But, I would not buy a different moto, simply for that reason. Spare fuel jugs are cheap!

The comments about cam bearing lubrication is gossip I have read, it may not be true. What is true, is that there has been a problem.

A 800GSA is certainly not a Dual Sport moto, but nether is the R1200GSA or the 990ADV. I see these as Adventure Tourers, meaning that they should be capable of traveling most roads in the world. Some with more difficulty than others! But not really suitable for off road, even though they could be used in that area with varying amounts of difficulty.

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 11:35 AM
Old 05-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #15445
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Had a long day yesterday, and tried to make it in time to meet with miguelito and his motorcycle group. We got there just as he was leaving, but we met up for lunch today. SMA is a great town to visit. Glad we made it here.

Oh and I found these little treats:

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #15446
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,390
Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #15447
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
You'll soon see these in the city of big smoke.

That's good news. Countries like Taiwan have had this for some years now. But expanding non-circulating
days to include motorcycles is a bad idea, IMO. Way too many low-end folks rely on scooters and mc's to
get around. I don't get it.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 03:48 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #15448
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Had a long day yesterday, and tried to make it in time to meet with miguelito and his motorcycle group. We got there just as he was leaving, but we met up for lunch today. SMA is a great town to visit. Glad we made it here.

Oh and I found these little treats:

There's even a "best consumed before __" on the right but it appears date-less. I guess "pedos de monja" really couldn't spoil now, could they?
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #15449
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse View Post
There's even a "best consumed before __" on the right but it appears date-less. I guess "pedos de monja" really couldn't spoil now, could they?
Nope. I wonder if "the fresher the better" applies, or they are better with age.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #15450
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post

I really enjoyed meeting you guys and having lunch Cory! Great discussions about motos in general, and a few of the preceding comments in this thread seem to bear out some conclusions we were zeroing in on as to that German brand.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote