Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #15541
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
The yoga class is only 90 minutes so little chance of a 4 hour erection. But a room full of women retaining flatulence for 90 minutes of yoga all because of one male student? That's pretty much guaranteed.

Flatulence: The presence of excessive gas in the digestive tract.

Not sure i'm a happier man for knowing the definition.., but I will try to use it in a sentence today...

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #15542
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Airdale., are you ok ? my sympathy for the tornado victims
My neighbor made a storm shelter from a 40 ft shipping container. We took cover there but only recieved rain.

Thanks for askin'

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #15543
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
I think a nice break in ride would be to Zacatecas.....I would like a debrief after you do a couple of thousand miles at the Garufa. The Lomo Argentino is on me.
buena sugerencia
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #15544
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Hello everyone.

Just finished the ride planning thread and thought I'd post here.

I'm planning on riding down from SD-Tijuana to Oaxaca where I'll be for the next couple of months.
Qué honda DK? I know lots of guys here have trip planning info here and will do a better job than I. My son and I are leaving June 3rd from San Antonio to head towards Oaxaca through Leon, Guanajuato, Morelia, possibly Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, . We are going to take our time on this three week trip, but we could hang out sometime when we get there. We would like to spend a few days in Oaxaca, drop the paniers and do some day trips up the canyons.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #15545
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Catching up on the IMS thread with a spread of tapas and sangria

Note: no queso here, it's fromage (fro-mahge-ahh)

The jefe was quite insistent on this point
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #15546
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
My son and I are leaving June 3rd from San Antonio
te espero en casona
Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #15547
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Getting the TVIP in La Paz - in person is better than getting it at the border?

Is it possible to order it online?

My thinking was going down the penninsula as I am a little more familiar with that area than the mainland.

My real concern is the area between Mazatlan and Oaxaca. I should be good everywhere else.

Also, Im not too much in a hurry, but Imdo have to get back to Oaxaca as soon as possible, so this trip in particular is just about transporting the bike.
Ill be here for the next few months, so will have plenty of time to explore...

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I just rode La Paz to Tecate (highly recommended border crossing over Tijuana) at the end of April. The border to Loreto or just North of there is a pretty tall order. Loreto to La Paz no problem. The LaPaz-Maz ferry is a great trip...Tues/Thurs/Sat/ in that direction. You can book it on line. I highly recommend getting a cabin, especially if you think you are going to scoot out of Mazatlan in a hurry. About $225 US for you, the bike and the cabin. Take tie downs, the ferry does not have them. The ferry guys are helpful getting your bike tied down but you must have the straps. GET YOUR TVIP AT THE FERRY TERMINAL ON LA PAZ SIDE! I don't know how long security check at Maz takes, it was maybe 1/2 hour 45 mins on La Paz side.

I would guess that if you are in a hurry to get to Oaxaca you would want to go down the mainland. Even though the ferry is an overnight deal when you would be sleeping anyway it is time consuming on either end and your progress is lateral not North/South. In that case you might want to use one of the border crossings further East in AZ, not TJ, maybe the busiest border crossing in the world. It is a damn long way to Oaxaca from the border!
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #15548
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I sold my BMW moto a little while ago. That is the moto used for the recent trip to Panama. I have sold four motos since I returned home April 4 and now only have the KTM 990 Adventure.
Yep... he did. To me! And it is going to head down to San Carlos, Mexico soon. That's home base Mexico for me.
And here is a pic...

Ain't she purdy? (only time I think Donnie ever washed her!)
And thanks for all the extra's you included Mr D, it is much appreciated.
You are a good guy. (but don't tell nobody)
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #15549
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

For sure!

I don't actually stay in Oaxaca, but down south, on the water

I have wanted to explore Oaxaca now for a few months, so any reason to ride up would be no problem.
I'll be here for a few months at least.
+52 1 612 120 6741 or PM me.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
Qué honda DK? I know lots of guys here have trip planning info here and will do a better job than I. My son and I are leaving June 3rd from San Antonio to head towards Oaxaca through Leon, Guanajuato, Morelia, possibly Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo, . We are going to take our time on this three week trip, but we could hang out sometime when we get there. We would like to spend a few days in Oaxaca, drop the paniers and do some day trips up the canyons.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 AM   #15550
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Getting the TVIP in La Paz - in person is better than getting it at the border?

Is it possible to order it online?

My thinking was going down the penninsula as I am a little more familiar with that area than the mainland.

My real concern is the area between Mazatlan and Oaxaca. I should be good everywhere else.

Also, Im not too much in a hurry, but Imdo have to get back to Oaxaca as soon as possible, so this trip in particular is just about transporting the bike.
Ill be here for the next few months, so will have plenty of time to explore...

David
My personal preference is to get the TVIP in person. Doesn't take much time and if there are any snags you have a shot at clearing it up on the spot. Any snags going the online TVIP route can potentially impact travel plans. It did for me once and that's all it took.

When you express the need to make good time to Oaxaca and your lack of familiarity with a mainland route I see it as your opportunity to explore new territory and there are plenty of riders here to give you good routing options for that. Just my POV.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #15551
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
DK-San Diego to La Paz

You don't need the TVIP to ride the peninsula. The Banjercito office is easy at Tecate, on the right as you cross the border. Open from 8AM to 4PM every day. The Banjercito office in La Paz is actually at the ferry terminal in Pichilingue... it is a walk up window and there is loads of secure parking (for 20 pesos) in front of it. Not sure about the hours.

It is surprising how far South and East Oaxaca is. I really enjoyed the ride up Baja but if I wanted to beat feet straight to Oaxaca would be tempted to go down the West coast of the mainland Hermosillo, Mazatlan, Guadalajara, Morelia, Toluca, Cuernavaca, Oaxaca. I am not personally familiar with this routing but there are many people on this site who are.

It is 714 miles from San Diego, CA to Loreto, BCS on some pretty gnarly two lane. Not a lot of traffic South of El Rosario but some pretty rough road riding. Thankfully not a lot of topes... just broken road surfaces and stretches of repairs. It is tiring riding and can be pretty hot and dry. No doubt that the West coast mainland route can be pretty hot and dry too.

Miguelito is knowledgeable about routes South from the States.

How is your Spanish? Don't know how long you plan to be in Oaxaca but the TVIP is good for 180 days. Maybe another reason to get it at Pichilingue if you are going to be South for an extended period of time.

It is 2130 miles from San Diego to Oaxaca. One of the map programs recommends slabbing over to Tucson and crossing at Nogales and then down through Hermosillo, Mazatlan, Guadalajara, etc. Do you have a GPS with Bici Mapas, Guia Roji Atlas, AAA Mexico Map... all useful but not perfect tools for getting you from here to there.

Let us know what you did and how. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #15552
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 347
San Diego to Oaxaca

An alternative to going down the Baja peninsula is to take I8 to Yuma and cross at San Luis Rio Colorado. The border crossing there is very mellow and you can get your tourist card and TVIP in less than an hour. After San Luis it is a short ride to Puerto Penasco, which is a Gringo hang out on the East side of the Sea of Cortez. Puerto Penasco to Hermosillo is an easy ride, and downtown Hermosillo is very pleasant. From Hermosillo you have the option of either heading to Copper Canyon stopping over night in Creel, which IMHO is well worth doing, or, you can take a longish day's ride from Hermosillo to Mazatlan.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #15553
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,918
Check out this concept bike:

http://www.400cc.com.mx/noticias/nt4...m_medium=email

The link will take you to a very interesting page IMHO.

Imagine that bike with a small magnetic tank bag, maybe a little fly screen or windshield, a set of decent soft panniers and maybe a more 50/50 set of tires?

I'd buy it and ride the wheels off the thing down here. Would be a great bike for Mexico. Especially with a carb and screw type valve adjustment.
Guess it would be like a DR650 with a lower seat height, no?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #15554
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Is Mazatlan safe?

Ive been told by a few locals here (near Porto Escondido) that I should avoid Mazatlan at all costs.

I dont have affinity towards either. Obviously skipping a slow ferry ride will get me down south quicker. But, there I would be totally a fish out of water until I get to either DF or Oaxaca - where my gf will join me and we will ride the rest of the way back to the boat.

I will do some research now on the mainland route as you guys suggested.
My goal is to do approx 500-600 mile days until I meet up with my gf. After that, ill be takng it slooooooowwwww.

Keep em cming

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
An alternative to going down the Baja peninsula is to take I8 to Yuma and cross at San Luis Rio Colorado. The border crossing there is very mellow and you can get your tourist card and TVIP in less than an hour. After San Luis it is a short ride to Puerto Penasco, which is a Gringo hang out on the East side of the Sea of Cortez. Puerto Penasco to Hermosillo is an easy ride, and downtown Hermosillo is very pleasant. From Hermosillo you have the option of either heading to Copper Canyon stopping over night in Creel, which IMHO is well worth doing, or, you can take a longish day's ride from Hermosillo to Mazatlan.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #15555
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-W View Post
Yep... he did. To me! And it is going to head down to San Carlos, Mexico soon. That's home base Mexico for me.
And here is a pic...

Ain't she purdy? (only time I think Donnie ever washed her!)
And thanks for all the extra's you included Mr D, it is much appreciated.
You are a good guy. (but don't tell nobody)
You got yourself a good-running bike there Amigo. It knows its way around
Mexico better than most of us.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote