Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #15586
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-W View Post
Yep... he did. To me! And it is going to head down to San Carlos, Mexico soon. That's home base Mexico for me.
And here is a pic...

Ain't she purdy? (only time I think Donnie ever washed her!)
And thanks for all the extra's you included Mr D, it is much appreciated.
You are a good guy. (but don't tell nobody)

Hey Royce!

There is one thing I forgot to tell you! If you find from time to time when you are riding through the small towns that the "hookers" all run out to the road trying to flag you down. They are mistaken, there must be someone else with a moto just like that one!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #15587
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
I saw a new style GS1200 in Durango with Mexico plates last weekend! It looks nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Check out this concept bike:

http://www.400cc.com.mx/noticias/nt4...m_medium=email

The link will take you to a very interesting page IMHO.?
Why wait, they already make that bike. Its called a 1979 XL500. You can buy one for $500. But seriously, there is something intriguing about that concept bike. Looks comfortable and low profile, interesting.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #15588
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

Question: How do you know when you are standing beside a major major market
morning man?

Answer: They will tell you.

I have several friends in the business Big Time. I'd drop names but am afraid that Certain Trolling People (tm) will hassle them or tell me that it's been years since they were on the radio and so I'll leave it there.

Anyway ... I have seen them on top, then out of work, and the cycle continues. Several people have said that I should do radio and I always think that I'd rather have my eye lids pierced.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #15589
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Hey Royce!

There is one thing I forgot to tell you! If you find from time to time when you are riding through the small towns that the "hookers" all run out to the road trying to flag you down. They are mistaken, there must be someone else with a moto just like that one!

Donnie

Now that's funny. Just as long as they aren't PO'd because they never got paid.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #15590
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,025
Is Mexico Safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I had lunch with a fellow in Texas six weeks ago that had already purchased one and had put several hundred miles on it. Hey Mike! Wake up down there, we might need you!
Yup. That you did. And he's still talking about meeting you. ;)

slowoldguy screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 08:15 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #15591
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,457
Quote:
Schizz,
Heads up on the new GS.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/03/0...pension-issue/

Note the part about the tranny and the traction control from Transport Canada.

They'll never admit there was a problem, but there is something about that bike...like the factory turbos and the old big Kawi cop bikes. At least with the H1's and Mach III's you knew what you were in for.
I've already given the new bike a good thrashing and found it to behave better than my '12 GSA and at higher speeds. But that was all pavement so not really a full test ride. I'll look into the attached article.

Meanwhile, some pix from tonight's Dave Matthews Band concert at the new race track.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 01:54 AM
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:12 AM   #15592
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Is Mazatlan safe?

Ive been told by a few locals here (near Porto Escondido) that I should avoid Mazatlan at all costs.

I dont have affinity towards either. Obviously skipping a slow ferry ride will get me down south quicker. But, there I would be totally a fish out of water until I get to either DF or Oaxaca - where my gf will join me and we will ride the rest of the way back to the boat.

I will do some research now on the mainland route as you guys suggested.
My goal is to do approx 500-600 mile days until I meet up with my gf. After that, ill be takng it slooooooowwwww.

Keep em cming

David
I spent a night in Mazatlan. On 3/17/13 before I took the ferry to LaPaz. Zona Dorada and the whole beach front are very nice...many nice hotels in a range of prices. At the recommendation of Skip Mascorro of Moto Discovery I stayed at Playa Mazatlan. If you book on line you get a credit voucher to use for food there. Brings the price down to under $100USD. It was the most I paid for a hotel in 4 months of traveling in Mexico and it was worth every penny. Summer may be cheaper due to "off season".

Are you going to Oaxaca City or Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca? If the latter, routing would be/could be different. Boat? Where? No boats in Oaxaca, Oaxaca. Some missing details of beginning and ending destination make advising difficult.

500-600 miles por dia on a moto on Mexican highways, even carreteras es muy dificil y peligroso. I don't think you have time to cover that distance during daylight hours even in the summer. Rule 1 here is don't ride at night. The things you can't see will hurt you. You have to stop for gas, for food, to pee, to pay tolls, and you need to drink lots of water...it is hot and the wind over your body sucks it out of you. 2-3 liters might not be enough over 12 hours of riding. Out on the carreteras it can be remote, hard to find a hotel, no help if you have a problem and at night you are a prime "target of opportunity". My GS likes to do 75-80 miles an hour as long as there is gas in the tank...my aging body not so much. Those sustained speeds work reasonably well on US freeways in the Southwest...the cuotas in Mexico are a different story, some are two lane, some have very uneven road surfaces, the lanes of the divided roads often do not have the lane and shoulder width that we are used to, even at 70-80 mph car drivers come up on you very fast and expect you to move to the right on what we would think of as the "shoulder" of the road and at that speed you come up very fast on "doble semi remolques" sometimes without adequate or any taillights. Good luck with that.

As Jimmex and maybe others reported Mex 200 between Puerto Escondido and Zihua is hot and there are hundreds and hundreds of topes. I did not find it all that boring but the topes are a pita. Hot yes and even hotter now... High speeds...no way...that is why there are topes. The routes through the Sierra that were suggested to me sound great...again not 75-80 mph roads. It is easy to hurt yourself in Mexico, it is less easy to get help, when you are riding solo you are really on your own...lots of friendly people will find you to be a curiousity and will help you to an extent but resources are pretty limited down there even if your language skills are reasonably good there is only so much they can do...even at hospitals.

Might be a good plan to consider letting gf and boat be satisfied with slightly indefinite arrival over never arriving. I found that a tight schedule and a moto don't work so well in Mexico. Too many good opportunities and the chance of less good ones. Others may have found differently as you may. You also have to factor in rain and hurricane season now.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #15593
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Radio

The big hurdle is getting the FCC license if you are talking about something on the US side. Back in the days of "border radio" they put a 100kw station on the Mexican side and scorched the airwaves for thousands of miles.

A las otros cosas, "Desculpeme" es suficiente don Bato.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #15594
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

PE to Huatulco

DK - If you are referring to MX 200 I just rode that Huatulco to PE. No, not a great road. 75-80 mph. Your memory may not serve you well , 75-80 kph...maybe. From PE to Acapulco and on to Zihuatanejo there is good and bad road and Acapulco is a mess...the whole route is topelandia...no 500-600 mile days there. You did say miles?
Old 05-23-2013, 02:00 AM   #15595
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I spent a night in Mazatlan. On 3/17/13 before I took the ferry to LaPaz. Zona Dorada and the whole beach front are very nice...many nice hotels in a range of prices. At the recommendation of Skip Mascorro of Moto Discovery I stayed at Playa Mazatlan. If you book on line you get a credit voucher to use for food there. Brings the price down to under $100USD. It was the most I paid for a hotel in 4 months of traveling in Mexico and it was worth every penny. Summer may be cheaper due to "off season".

Are you going to Oaxaca City or Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca? If the latter, routing would be/could be different. Boat? Where? No boats in Oaxaca, Oaxaca. Some missing details of beginning and ending destination make advising difficult.

500-600 miles por dia on a moto on Mexican highways, even carreteras es muy dificil y peligroso. I don't think you have time to cover that distance during daylight hours even in the summer. Rule 1 here is don't ride at night. The things you can't see will hurt you. You have to stop for gas, for food, to pee, to pay tolls, and you need to drink lots of water...it is hot and the wind over your body sucks it out of you. 2-3 liters might not be enough over 12 hours of riding. Out on the carreteras it can be remote, hard to find a hotel, no help if you have a problem and at night you are a prime "target of opportunity". My GS likes to do 75-80 miles an hour as long as there is gas in the tank...my aging body not so much. Those sustained speeds work reasonably well on US freeways in the Southwest...the cuotas in Mexico are a different story, some are two lane, some have very uneven road surfaces, the lanes of the divided roads often do not have the lane and shoulder width that we are used to, even at 70-80 mph car drivers come up on you very fast and expect you to move to the right on what we would think of as the "shoulder" of the road and at that speed you come up very fast on "doble semi remolques" sometimes without adequate or any taillights. Good luck with that.

As Jimmex and maybe others reported Mex 200 between Puerto Escondido and Zihua is hot and there are hundreds and hundreds of topes. I did not find it all that boring but the topes are a pita. Hot yes and even hotter now... High speeds...no way...that is why there are topes. The routes through the Sierra that were suggested to me sound great...again not 75-80 mph roads. It is easy to hurt yourself in Mexico, it is less easy to get help, when you are riding solo you are really on your own...lots of friendly people will find you to be a curiousity and will help you to an extent but resources are pretty limited down there even if your language skills are reasonably good there is only so much they can do...even at hospitals.

Might be a good plan to consider letting gf and boat be satisfied with slightly indefinite arrival over never arriving. I found that a tight schedule and a moto don't work so well in Mexico. Too many good opportunities and the chance of less good ones. Others may have found differently as you may. You also have to factor in rain and hurricane season now.
That's some solid travel advice from a man who's done some real traveling down south.

Hope you get your knee fixed up real soon before Mexico begins to miss you.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:24 AM   #15596
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
I'll echo whats been said about riding 500-600 miles in Mexico in a day. Its not advised. I have done 600 in one day, and on the klr. It was rough, took about 12 hours, and I would never do that again. I had a deadline to make and I was pushing real hard to make it. Going way to fast over bad desolate roads. Even if you plot a route over cuotas it may prove to be too much.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
Old 05-23-2013, 04:03 AM   #15597
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
The big hurdle is getting the FCC license if you are talking about something on the US side. Back in the days of "border radio" they put a 100kw station on the Mexican side and scorched the airwaves for thousands of miles.
You probably know more about radio and television production than everyone else here combined. When I was in the Rio Grande Valley I remember several television stations that seemed to have studios in the USA but who broadcast out of Mexico.

According to Wiki:

Mexican border stations [edit]

Some Texas cities along the Rio Grande border other Mexican cities. These Mexican cities sometimes have television stations that also serve their Texas counterparts. Digital television transition has not been completed in Mexico, thus still broadcast in analog and some larger cities on the Mexican border broadcast in both analog and digital television.
AC refers to analog channel VC refers to the station's PSIP virtual channel. RF refers to the station's physical RF channel.

Then that is followed by a surprisingly lengthy list of stations. List on the page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tions_in_Texas
Old 05-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #15598
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Yup. That you did. And he's still talking about meeting you. ;)
Now how am I supposed to interpret that!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #15599
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
I'll echo whats been said about riding 500-600 miles in Mexico in a day. Its not advised. I have done 600 in one day, and on the klr. It was rough, took about 12 hours, and I would never do that again. I had a deadline to make and I was pushing real hard to make it. Going way to fast over bad desolate roads. Even if you plot a route over cuotas it may prove to be too much.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1

I rode from Escuitla, Mexico which is located a bit north of Tapachula to Nuevo Laredo in two days last year when my daughter got sick. It was 70 to 95 MPH everywhere it was possible and some places that it was not! I just replaced the front wheel that was bent on that ride! None of my route was on Quota Roads and was approximately 1,200 miles.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 AM   #15600
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

I have a Mexico question. Do any of you use the USB Air Cards or what ever you call them to connect to internet in Mexico? Can I purchase a Telcel loadable USB to use in my computer? Can the USB then be reloaded at the Oxxos? The private home located in the mountains where I stay at a lot when in Mexico does not have internet. I ask at the local town and they did not know, even though it was a small Telcel distributor.