Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #15601
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Sometimes I have someone else drive and I connect my Banda Ancha and play on the commuter in the passenger seat.
Sounds fun! Pic of the commuter? ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #15602
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Zacatecas me suena interesante...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
Hay bingo 43
I don't mean to hijack your ride but it is a little cooler from Saltillo go south to Guanajuanto through Zacatecas. Last week end my son Pilot815, and I slabbed it from SMA to Saltillo and it was pritty hot...if you do decide to come through Zacatecas let me know if you would like a local to talk with. (I think you have PMd with Pilot815 before)
I'm interested. I'm going to stay a few days in Leon. My brother's inlaws live there. I was going to head down there through Real de Catorce...but if I went through Zacatecas I could see Aguas también and you're saying it would be cooler?
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #15603
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Going the Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I rode from Escuitla, Mexico which is located a bit north of Tapachula to Nuevo Laredo in two days last year when my daughter got sick. It was 70 to 95 MPH everywhere it was possible and some places that it was not! I just replaced the front wheel that was bent on that ride! None of my route was on Quota Roads and was approximately 1,200 miles.
That said, Donnie, and that is quite a feat without question, and all went well...but...as you know all too well you can lose your wallet and cash in Lazaro Cardenas and make zero miles a day for some time even though you made a new good friend. Stuff happens in Mexico and it can take time to fix it. You are one of the most experienced Mexico riders here and even you, like me, dumped the KLR, in a moment of inattention.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #15604
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Fast on 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
It's called Banda Ancha. I have it and it works like a charm. They should have it at any decent sized Telcel distributor. It's about 400 pesos for the device and that includes some data service, about a month worth. When you buy it, it takes them about 10 minutes to get you set up.

My new 8 cylinder Jeep Grand Cherokee will do 600 miles a day in Mexico all week long. It loves to haul ass on Autopista and it eats topes and pot holes for breakfast! Sometimes I have someone else drive and I connect my Banda Ancha and play on the computer in the passenger seat.

With a fast vehicle, I can make more miles in Mexico than I can in the US. On the Mexican Autopistas I can go as fast as I want. In the US it feels like slow motion on the interstate highways.
People do indeed drive very fast in 4 wheeled vehicles in Mexico. Somewhere on a very gnarly part of MX 200, I was going as fast as I wanted to go and much to my shame got passed by a dump truck! Knowing the road and being highly insulated from the consequences of the road surface can be quite useful when you want to haul ass.

Mexico is hard on suspensions. My low mileage Ohlins front started leaking after around 6k miles when I was still maybe 1500 miles from home.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #15605
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Even on the tollroads/carreteras?

I drove from Porto Escondido to Hatulco in a jeep on a crappy and windy road, bit it was no problem to do 75-80 in most parts...

D
That is about 72 miles, hour and a half, not recommended at night.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #15606
Graveler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Its a hell hole.....
Graveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #15607
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Verizon?

It's probably been spoken of here..but I know I used my phone in larger cities in Mexico through verizon and it was like a dollar a minute. Texts worked well but they were like 25cents. What about using your Iphone for the internet in those cities to send emails? If you log on to the internet through Verizon phone service is that cheaper than the broadband spoken of? Do any of you that live there have experience con un teléfono estadounidense usando el Internet?
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #15608
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
I use my AT&T iPhone extensively in Mexico. Following AT&T's advice I bought their Mexico call plan for $3.95/month, IIRC, to make calls in Mexico for <$1/minute. 79 cents/minute maybe. Will have to check. Then I set the phone for International Roam on and auto-update for email off. This gives me control over Data Roam charges which are very high. I only manually update data after getting a wifi connection. Don't recall text fee. Keep in mind that international carriers can charge your US account for up to three months from the moment of use so any rate buy-down fees must stay active on your account for several billing cycles.
This makes prepaid international data packages tricky to use so I quit trying.

Wonder how Banda Ancha might work with my AT&T phone??

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 08:15 AM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #15609
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,132
Is Mexico Safe?

[QUOTE=SchizzMan;21474084]I use my AT&T iPhone extensively in Mexico. Following AT&T's advice I bought their Mexico call plan for $3.95/month, IIRC, to make calls in Mexico for

slowoldguy screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 11:43 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #15610
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
It's probably been spoken of here..but I know I used my phone in larger cities in Mexico through verizon and it was like a dollar a minute. Texts worked well but they were like 25cents. What about using your Iphone for the internet in those cities to send emails? If you log on to the internet through Verizon phone service is that cheaper than the broadband spoken of? Do any of you that live there have experience con un teléfono estadounidense usando el Internet?

My Verizon experience is pretty ancient (just to placate certain old men going through their 2nd childhoods ) but about 2006 you couldn't get a Verizon connection in Tampico. When I rolled into Monterrey suddenly I was overwhelmed with texts and voice mails from people wondering if I was OK because I had changed my route and schedule and my satellite tracker had gone dead for several days because I parked my bike in an parking garage with a concrete roof.

More recently (like maybe 18 months ago) I was using an AT&T data device, working along the border, and evidently connected to Telcel data without realizing it. AT&T sent me an almost $1,000 bill (it was really something like $997 - damned close to a grand) but they did settle it for roughly a penny on the dollar with the promise that I'd lock out all the Mexican signals. Which I did.

Pre- iPhone a lot of my friends who did business in the USA and who were mostly in Monterrey used to carry two cell phones on their belts - one for the USA and one for Mexico and Europe. You don't see that as often but it was the low hassle way of doing things.

Today, I use an iPhone and an iPad extensively and, as the trolls/stalkers like to repeat, I haven't traveled much out of the frontier for a few years. Wifi is pretty popular in Mexico and I've got a few regular haunts where a person can get excellent Wifi.

Bottom line: MikeMike and the guys that actually live in Mexico can hook you up. For a simple, low hassle fix just look for wifi, particularly if you are in cities.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #15611
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
I lucked out with the AT&T prepaid $30 and did not go over my allowable data and did not get any straggler charges. Worked like a champ. YMMV.

That sounds like a smart move because it does put a cap on data and phone charges.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 AM   #15612
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
The big hurdle is getting the FCC license if you are talking about something on the US side. Back in the days of "border radio" they put a 100kw station on the Mexican side and scorched the airwaves for thousands of miles..
The song by Wall of Voodoo / Stan Ridgeway, (Mexican Radio) I thought was about that, BIG horse power radio stations
in Tijuana...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #15613
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
That sounds like a smart move because it does put a cap on data and phone charges.
No it does not. The way it works is you prepay for a set amount at a lower rate and if you exceed that amount you pay a much higher rate for that data. No such thing as a cap.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 05-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #15614
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
That said, Donnie, and that is quite a feat without question, and all went well...but...as you know all too well you can lose your wallet and cash in Lazaro Cardenas and make zero miles a day for some time even though you made a new good friend. Stuff happens in Mexico and it can take time to fix it. You are one of the most experienced Mexico riders here and even you, like me, dumped the KLR, in a moment of inattention.
I would tell you how many times I dumped my KLR, but I can't count that high!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #15615
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
The song by Wall of Voodoo / Stan Ridgeway, (Mexican Radio) I thought was about that, BIG horse power radio stations
in Tijuana...
As is ZZ Top's "Heard It On The X".