Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #1561
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,023
Thanks for the info PJ. I'll forward to my neice.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #1562
Eduardo
Eduardo

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99
Is Mexico safe?

In a word, yes.

Just returned (along with Digiamo and Steve from Nashville) from a month long trip thru Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala. No hint of trouble throughout.

Nearest thing was when a local rancher offered us tent space rather than let us go on to the next town as there "had been some trouble there." Didn't get the particulars but did accept his offer. Hey, we're cheap, free camping was right up our alley.

Speaking of which, we camped a total of 11 nights thru the trip. Not bad. Hotels are cheap but free is cheaper.

Saw a lot of not third-world stuff. Some areas of Tobasco and Chiapas looked like Kansas, what with all the corn fields and John Deere harvesters. Much, much agriculture and not subsistence kind'a farming either. Another hint that things are better than many think, the sign in the central square in Palenque, "Free Internet Zone", provided by the local gum'mint.

Food was great, folks are better. Again, no real hint of trouble.

Hola, Ditto completely. I feel I'm in a dangerous country here, and long for the simplicity and friendly faces of Mexico/Guatemala. They have their problems too, but don't seem to let that effect their lives as much as we do with our "problems".

Viva Mexico. Vida de Aventura. Saludos

Here's a couple banditos, they even shared their candy.

He wanted to share his sucker, but I declined

Escape the Tundra: Tenth winter in Mexico and Guatemala 2009/2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531184
Minnesota to Guatemala 2008/2009 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423949
Eduardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #1563
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Eduardo, you may have seen the posts about Sam, who dropped by at the RV campground unexpectedly and who wants to ride to Guatemala. I wanted to put him in touch with you, but he left without giving me his email address.

Sam, if you are reading this then I strongly advise you to drop a line to Eduardo. He dah Man when it comes to Guatemala!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #1564
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo
Hola, Ditto completely. I feel I'm in a dangerous country here, and long for the simplicity and friendly faces of Mexico/Guatemala. They have their problems too, but don't seem to let that effect their lives as much as we do with our "problems".

Viva Mexico. Vida de Aventura. Saludos

Here's a couple banditos, they even shared their candy.

He wanted to share his sucker, but I declined
Great pics! It wouldn't take much at all to make those little guys happy and leave a good feeling with the locals about us gringos pendejo. Since my next trip down (in exactly 2 weeks ) will be in the Suburban, I'll have a little more room to pack some simple gifts for the ninitos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #1565
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo

YUM!!!
the little goat is ready for BIRRIA DE CABRITO...!!!

LIKE BIRRIA DE ZACATECAS!!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:35 PM   #1566
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
YUM!!!
the little goat is ready for BIRRIA DE CABRITO...!!!

I was thinking the same thing. Th line between "pet" and "cabrito" is pretty fine.

I keep telling Bosswoman that we need a goat for a pet and she's not so sure.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #1567
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
I was thinking the same thing. Th line between "pet" and "cabrito" is pretty fine.

I keep telling Bosswoman that we need a goat for a pet and she's not so sure.
I love baby goat(s).

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 PM   #1568
PirateJohn
Banned

I know. The image is a sheep. It's the best that I could come up with.

Seriously, cabrito is very tasty, all jokes aside.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:22 AM   #1569
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
Huh....

Last I checked, I thought I was in Mexico???
Attached Images

mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:47 AM   #1570
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,405
You are indeed in Mexico.

Home Depots in Mexico have a BMW final drive department
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #1571
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
You are indeed in Mexico.

Home Depots in Mexico have a BMW final drive department

Right next to the plumbing department.

I shouldn't laugh. I have something wrong with my silver GS and will be taking a look at various things today to see where the pop and crunch is coming from.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #1572
PirateJohn
Banned

Today's news is interesting. The Mexican Feds arrested some dude in Miguel Aleman that they accuse of being a Gulf Cartel officer and who caught their attention by "circulating suspiciously" around a few streets.

Read between the lines. Miguel Aleman is supposed to be the stronghold of the Zetas. This dude was Zeta hunting.

It's not over with, but as I read things the Gulf Cartel has pretty well decimated the Zetas.

~~~

Suspected Gulf Cartel leader arrested in Miguel Alemán

May 28, 2010 9:36 PM
Ana Ley
The Monitor
MIGUEL ALEMÁN — Mexican sailors arrested a purported Gulf Cartel leader and a Rio Grande City man during a traffic stop Wednesday in this city.

Authorities arrested Jose Alberto Silva Martinez, aka “El Polito,” while he was riding in a vehicle near the intersection of Plan de Guadalupe and Fifth Street, according to a statement from the Mexican navy. Silva, 37, is believed to be a Gulf Cartel officer overseeing operations in Miguel Alemán.

Wednesday’s traffic stop led to the arrest of two other suspected Gulf Cartel members, including Rio Grande City native Juan Miguel Ruiz Moreno, aka “El Cuchi,” 34. Federal agents also arrested Jorge Luis Lopez Albarran, aka “El Gordo,” 23.

Officials said the trio was riding in a black vehicle that was “circulating in a suspicious manner” when sailors pulled over the driver. Authorities found two firearms, four ammunition clips and marijuana inside the vehicle.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #1573
PirateJohn
Banned

And this has to take either the Brass Balls of the Year Award of the Dumbshit of the Year Award. Perhaps a Darwin nomination?

Want to get yourself killed? And in the US at that? Then steal a ton of marijuana from the Gulf Cartel.

Remember that there are a million people on the US side of the Rio Grande Valley, and 85% are Hispanic. And there are a million people on the Mexican side. So considering the number of folks in this area we don't have that much crazy crime, but when we do have it you can almost always count on drug involvement being at the heart of the trouble.

~~~

Police: Gulf Cartel ordered San Juan home invasion that left one dead

May 28, 2010 9:11 PM
Jared Taylor and Lindsay Machak
The Monitor
SAN JUAN — Three men involved in a fatal home invasion told investigators they were hired by the Gulf Cartel to abduct a man who had stolen nearly a ton of marijuana, police said.

The botched kidnapping ended with the death of 21-year-old Roberto “Bobby” Hinojosa early Wednesday morning, San Juan Police Chief Juan Gonzalez said.

Lucas Hernandez Peña turned himself in to U.S. customs officers at the Hidalgo-Reynosa International Bridge late Thursday night, about half an hour after two of his associates were formally charged with several felonies, including capital murder, in San Juan Municipal Court.

Investigators are looking for at least five other suspects in connection with Hinojosa’s slaying, including his wife and her relatives, who may be withholding information from police, Gonzalez said.

“They are withholding information that’s critical to the investigation,” the chief said.

Hernandez, 42, told police he was involved in the attack early Wednesday morning at Hinojosa’s house on the 2000 block of Sunset Drive. He told investigators his conscience made him confess, but police believe he likely faced serious consequences from his cartel bosses in Mexico.

“I’m pretty sure he doesn’t want to end up dead on the side of the road,” Gonzalez said.

Hinojosa had apparently stolen about a ton of marijuana from the cartel, prompting the retaliatory attack, the chief said.

At least three men stormed into the house about 1 a.m. Wednesday, firing seven gunshots that killed Hinojosa in front of his wife and 3-year-old son in their bedroom. Hinojosa returned fire, hitting Hernandez in the hand, investigators said.

Two other suspects, Palmview resident Oscar Gomez and Benito Rios of Rio Grande City, were arrested early Wednesday morning after a police pursuit led to a south Pharr residential neighborhood. Hernandez left a trail of blood as he fled the scene on foot and eventually escaped to Reynosa, where he received treatment at a medical clinic.

Rios, 29, was formally charged with capital murder and several other felony counts during an arraignment hearing late Thursday night. At that same hearing, Gomez, 21, was charged with engaging in organized criminal activity, tampering with evidence and two counts of evading arrest.

Hernandez is expected to be arraigned today on one count of engaging in organized criminal activity, a first-degree felony, punishable by up to life in prison a fine of up to $10,000 upon conviction.

A fourth suspect arrested Friday also is set to be arraigned today. Rio Grande City resident Rigoberto Hernandez, 33, was found in Mission and is expected to face charges of organized criminal activity.

The two Hernandez men are not related, according to authorities.

Hinojosa’s father, Lalo Hinojosa, said Wednesday afternoon that he did not believe his son was involved in drug smuggling.

But as he cleaned up the younger man’s house Thursday evening after investigators had cleared the scene, Lalo Hinojosa said he apparently didn’t know his son as well as he had thought.

“I don’t know what to say,” the father said. “I didn’t want to believe it.”
Old 05-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #1574
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,405
Have Another Beer....

Staring out into the wild blue yonder
So many thoughts to sit and ponder
About life, love, and the lack of
And this emptiness in my heart
Too old to be wild and free still