Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #15901
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,205
I will leave my house, headed for Mexico June 13. After much thinking, I have decided to be on the road in Mexico traveling solo June 15. That will be the two year anniversary of Sheryl's death. I will also be traveling June 16 which is her birthday. Sheryl really loved traveling in Mexico! I still think about her every day, those two days will be no different. I will return home approximately July 13.

If you see a KTM broke down on the side of the road please stop, it will probably be me!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #15902
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I thought you was a Mexican! You sort of look like one and your Spanish is really really good!
Lol! I need to put him on my visit list.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #15903
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Mike and others, you have provided an interesting tale of the current cartel situation.

Frankly, I am a little surprised that it seems as if the bureaucrats are collaborating with the Zetas. I would have expected the various guv'mental elements and the Southern Cartel and a few others to join together to wipe out the Z's. No?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #15904
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I left DGO early and had a late breakfast in Mazatlan at the Shrimp Bucket. There is a market (Las Changeras) setup in Old Town Mazatlan where they sell beautiful fresh shrimp, scallops and other seafood, cheap!
If my Google Image Foo is good, this is the El Cid and its pool in Mazatlán. This is the event hotel in Mazatlán for the Durango - Mazatlán off road event coming up SOON!

SR and I and about 98 fellow vagabundos (virtually all Mexican riders) should be poolside somwhere exactly here on Saturday night the 22nd of this month, if we don't get lost in the Sierra:

Since Sunday will be our day off until the Monday (24 June) ride back to Durango - I'm putting in a request to go find the biggest langosta platter Maz has to offer sometime on Sunday.

And I buy since it's part of my DRZ 400 rental
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #15905
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
After much thinking, I have decided to be on the road in Mexico traveling solo June 15. That will be the two year anniversary of Sheryl's death. I will also be traveling June 16 which is her birthday. Sheryl really loved traveling in Mexico! I still think about her every day, those two days will be no different.
Good thoughts and vibes to you Donnie in the memory of Sheryl.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #15906
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
If my Google Image Foo is good, this is the El Cid and its pool in Mazatlán. This is the event hotel in Mazatlán for the Durango - Mazatlán off road event coming up SOON!

SR and I and about 98 fellow vagabundos (virtually all Mexican riders) should be poolside somwhere exactly here on Saturday night the 22nd of this month, if we don't get lost in the Sierra:

Since Sunday will be our day off until the Monday (24 June) ride back to Durango - I'm putting in a request to go find the biggest langosta platter Maz has to offer sometime on Sunday.

And I buy since it's part of my DRZ 400 rental
Your Foo is in tact. There are 3 different pools at the Cid and that is one of them. I'll take you up on your lobster offer. But you have to get that bike out the mountains!!

I already have the place in mind. Costa Marinera.
https://www.facebook.com/lacostamarinera

If we keep talking about it, we are going to Jinx this ride and be eating peanuts and doritos on the side of the road!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #15907
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:

If we keep talking about it, we are going to Jinx this ride and be eating peanuts and doritos on the side of the road!
Nuh-ah

Now that I've seen that platter, I'll carry the damn bike out of the Sierra if I have to
Old 06-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #15908
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,205
Quote:
Good thoughts and vibes to you Donnie in the memory of Sheryl.

Thanks! She was a wonderful person!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #15909
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Nuh-ah

Now that I've seen that platter, I'll carry the damn bike out of the Sierra if I have to
Maybe I'll be part of the Secret Service advance team to make sure Mazatlan is safe for you guys.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #15910
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Maybe I'll be part of the Secret Service advance team to make sure Mazatlan is safe for you guys.
Ha, I got this quote before you could delete it Jim!! Get down there and scout it out!!

These icons cover it all !!
Old 06-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #15911
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 977
[QUOTE=SR;21548071]I rode down the Espinazo to Mazatlan and back yesterday. It was a lot of curves for one day. I can never get over just how much fun that road is to ride! The curves are so perfect and perfectly linked together. The vstrom eats it up.

There was light traffic and the road is in perfect shape. There is a lot of burning going on in the Sierra right now and the air was kind of hazy.

For anyone who hasn't done it, this stretch of road, without stopping is almost 2 solid hours of tight curves.

I left DGO early and had a late breakfast in Mazatlan at the Shrimp Bucket. There is a market (Las Changeras) setup in Old Town Mazatlan where they sell beautiful fresh shrimp, scallops and other seafood, cheap! I picked up a few kilos, threw it in my saddle boxes with some ice and headed back up. If anyone does this, remember the ice last longer if you put it on the side opposite the muffler. I learned this the hard way the first time I tried this trick. . Of course you could throw in some vegetables and spices, put it all on the muffler side and have sopa de mariscos ready to eat by the end of the day.

Las Changaras

There are 4 or 5 restaurants right around the shrimp lady's where you take in the shrimp you just bought, and for about $3.00 US. They will cook it up the way you like or 6 different ways and serve it with all the extras, rice, beans, tortillas.
They are all very good, at the top of the picture that pink rose is one of them....

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #15912
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
I think all of us have thought of a CSM thread, here we go. LINK
Thanks Weazy, I'm liking that thread already. Someone should have started that thread years ago. Now people who want to talk about this !! can do it here, and the other conversations can go there!!. IMHO, the light hearted stuff about riding and traveling in Mexico and the serious topics are both important, they just never have combined well.

SR screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 04:32 PM
Old 06-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #15913
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post

Las Changaras

There are 4 or 5 restaurants right around the shrimp lady's where you take in the shrimp you just bought, and for about $3.00 US. They will cook it up the way you like or 6 different ways and serve it with all the extras, rice, beans, tortillas.
They are all very good, at the top of the picture that pink rose is one of them....
Excellent information right there!

BTW, I was thinking I should have given you a call in Maz. I went on the fly and by the time I got there it was too late. But we will see you on the weekend of the 22nd.

SR screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 07:46 PM
Old 06-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #15914
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Thanks Weazy, I'm liking that thread already. Someone should have started that thread years ago. Now people who want to talk about this !! can do it here, and the other conversations can go there!!. IMHO, the light hearted stuff about riding and traveling in Mexico and the serious topics are both important, they just never have combined well.
The thread is not so bad. New technique for me: I'm for the most part not going to respond to the regular CSM players down there like the Cameras & Vstroms dude, Monkey King, BedtimeforBongos, etc. who are expert trollers. You know the guys with 25,000+ CSM posts. I think it was Mark Twain who said one cannot argue with the stupid. They will bring you down to their level where they are much more experienced and will easily defeat you

The thread will be a good place for us normal Mexico riders to discuss CSM and not contaminate this thread. Just learned new stuff about MikeMike and Weazy down there, so the thread has served a good purpose already

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #15915
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
I just learned new things about Trice and SR.
They wear leisure suits.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote