’08 950SE - sold
’09 FE570 - sold
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #15992
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Im really in 2 minds about it.
Initially I was gonna put a set of TKCs on and ride it down, knowing I would need a new set on the way back.
The more I think about it, it would make more sense to put on some trail attacks/mt90s/saharas for the trip and either bring or ship a set of dirt tires down.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I have never used these guys before but I saw Garymond and AirheadWrangler recommend them in another thread. I travel to the US often enough that I can just bring them down. They are significantly cheaper in the US if you have the option.

http://motohouse.com.mx/

If you don't want to order online, any decent Motorcycle shop will have a line of distributors and can order you a variety of tires. It just takes a few days. The motorcycle shops around here stock a lot of standard tires. You cant be too picky about the brand. Look for a shop that deals in big bikes for recreational use, not the little pizza delivery boy bikes.
’08 950SE - sold
’09 FE570 - sold
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #15993
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Can we get the back story on this?That's a nasty bleed.
Ok, click http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...801826&page=15

Start reading from post #222
Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #15994
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYNOWTHEN View Post
Ok, click http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...801826&page=15

Start reading from post #222
I would have still been in the creek crying like a little bitch and bleeding to death.That's a hell of a way to break trail.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #15995
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
MapsWithMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Are they good for highways or are they capable of showing what is really there?
This map is available for Android also.

It appears to use OSM (Open Street Map) or at least a road that I added to OSM is shown in MapsWithMe. OSM is a volunteer effort, so some areas are extremely detailed and others not so much.

OSM maps are available for Garmin GPSs.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/O...armin/Download

More info on OSM http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #15996
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Click on the Button with your Mouse

My reacton to the notion that anything valuable can be had by participating in debate with high post count blocks of cheese in CS&M:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #15997
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Something on the order of 1 week from this weekend, should begin the journey from San Antonio that will involve riding 2 different bikes - 1 to get there and back (GSA 1200) and a DRZ on the dirt. San Antonio to the rally start in Durango. I keep thinking about it.

I've done some epic dirt riding in Mexico, for example, Mextrek.

They were all, mostly, rides with gringos on fairly short (by comparison) routes (some very difficult in their execution).

The chance to begin a ride exactly 2 weeks from today, with SR and virtually all other riders being Mexican, will be a lifetime priviledge. It's not that short a route from Durango (city) to the Pacific coast. I may bring my leftover Oxycodone.

I hope we survive. I've rarely been this excited before an adventure, as I am now.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #15998
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I've invested a lot of time getting ready for this physically.

CrossFit 3 - 5 times per week with Tricewife

Cycling long distances (compared to the Average Joe) - rode 60 yesterday from San Antonio to Sattler and back. Try to do this 2 - 3 times per week.

And also by the best means out there: dirt riding.

Richard's 500 mile mostly dirt challenge (on the KTM 500) a couple months ago was huge. Lots of water crossings and gnarly trail ruts.

But it wasn't Mexico.

On the trail in the pines crossing the high mountain spine of the Espinazo, with the canyon drops and climbs, rivers, and finally the salt spray air of the beaches at Mazatlán.

There, that's the dream.

That's what I'm thinking about on a Friday afternoon.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #15999
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I may bring my leftover Oxycodone.
Wait

Just checked

I have no more leftover Oxycodone
Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #16000
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Trice, if you agree to do the Rally Ruta del Cafe in the fall with Andres and Arte I will pay your entry fee for the rally. The hotel and bar bill are yours.
Deal?
Ok, ok, I'll help with with the bar bill.

Just got back from Costco with a sample print run. A couple held up ok as high as 12 X 18. I am going to try to get a session with a noted Mexican photog, I do some work with his brother who is a designer, and see if I can get some comments when I use his framing service. How did it go on your end?

I would like to thank you for your kick in the arse. I needed it.

I would like to thank Rocky Mountain Oyster for inspiring me more than once. He might not have known he was doing it, he is a very subtle individual, maybe that is his MO, I dunno but he is damn good at it! When you are around RMO you tend to learn how to listen in a new way.

And if RMO doesn't mind, maybe I can make a program music request. How about, in the same vein as that grat Indigo/Knopfler combo two versions of one song, you play Lorenna McKinnitt's version of Greensleeves and another version of Greensleeves of your choosing? Maybe bookend it with Sisters of Mercy's 1959 and Link Wray's Rumble?
That ought to pull the audience through a couple of quarter hours! Toss in something from the Velvet Underground or maybe a Lou Reed solo and Leonard Cohen set and call it good for the half hour, easy no sweat.
Did Van Morrison ever record Greensleeves?
I think you know the direction this is going!

Charlie and B W, thanks for the maps tip.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM   #16001
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Wait

Just checked

I have no more leftover Oxycodone
Well, dammit, now just how am I going to get through my next stint in the basement while posing as a rabid Tea Party supporting, neo-king konga line, rant a minute, reverse mortgage facist?

I'm telling you, if I have to do it with just the usual Crown Royal and mezcal, it won't be half as much fun.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #16002
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,122
Just to yank it back (no pun here, really) in the direction of all things Latino, maybe RMO could play some Juanes, starting with La Camisa Negra. Got to attend his Austin City Limits taping the other night. Three
thousand people all dancing all evening. Well, except for the middle-aged Gringo couple off stage left. What a performance!!

My Peruvian amigo and I were standing in front of the stage surrounded by young smooth-skinned women in revealing dresses dancing their hearts out. As the heat built the perfume blossomed, hanging heavily in the languid air while the young beauty before me gyrated, sweeping her shape across my thighs, the beat pulsating the crowd in a tantric dance............

Good times!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #16003
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Trice, if you agree to do the Rally Ruta del Cafe in the fall with Andres and Arte I will pay your entry fee for the rally. The hotel and bar bill are yours.
Deal?
Ok, ok, I'll help with with the bar bill.
This offer is like Salma asking someone to bring her a towel in the shower
Old 06-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #16004
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,472
Is Mexico Safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Just to yank it back (no pun here, really) in the direction of all things Latino, maybe RMO could play some Juanes, starting with La Camisa Negra. Got to attend his Austin City Limits taping the other night. Three
thousand people all dancing all evening. Well, except for the middle-aged Gringo couple off stage left. What a performance!!

My Peruvian amigo and I were standing in front of the stage surrounded by young smooth-skinned women in revealing dresses dancing their hearts out. As the heat built the perfume blossomed, hanging heavily in the languid air while the young beauty before me gyrated, sweeping her shape across my thighs, the beat pulsating the crowd in a tantric dance............

"And when cops came to haul me away all I could think of to say was 'no fumar espanol'. Huh. Apparently there is a double standard with this whole 'thigh touching' thing. Who knew?"
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #16005
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Just got back from Costco with a sample print run. A couple held up ok as high as 12 X 18. I am going to try to get a session with a noted Mexican photog, I do some work with his brother who is a designer, and see if I can get some comments when I use his framing service. How did it go on your end?

I would like to thank you for your kick in the arse. I needed it.
I'll add one more piece of blunt. You are lacking - but in only one area.

You have unusual talent. The only thing needed now, is marketing.

I'm not kidding. It could take off.