User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #1591
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,223
MexTrek Returns

In other news, Richard and the gang of 20 are returning through Reynosa today, after riding round the "Sierra Leon" epicenter based in Galeana.

A few bent bikes and bruised bodies, but otherwise no problems with the Zetas or CdG boys.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #1592
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot
In other news, Richard and the gang of 20 are returning through Reynosa today, after riding round the "Sierra Leon" epicenter based in Galeana.

A few bent bikes and bruised bodies, but otherwise no problems with the Zetas or CdG boys.

Should we alert the ladies at Boys Town, or have any of the local bars stock extra beer?

In other news it looks like the final drive has gone out on the silver GS, so until I can get that repaired I won't be leading anyone into Mexico ... unless I borrow Bosswoman's K1200LT and I don't see that happening.

We are heading to Progreso. Maybe we can do a little exploring with the Land Rover.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 05-31-2010 at 09:10 AM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #1593
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Mexican advantage....

Advantage of being in Mexico?

You can watch Fox's feed of the NAPCAR race without having to listen to that idiot Darrel Waltrip.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #1594
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
40% of Monterrey police force is gone:

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/

If you read the whole story, there is a plan before Mexico's Congress to dissolve municipal police departments due to widespread corruption and ties with drug cartels.

In March, 23 members of a council that includes the governors of Mexico’s 31 states and the mayor of Mexico City signaled their assent to a plan to eliminate local police forces....

The president has deployed about 65,000 army troops and federal police nationwide to combat drug cartels and other criminal organizations, with part of their work involving dismantling municipal police departments accused of having corrupt officers.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #1595
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko
The president has deployed about 65,000 army troops and federal police nationwide to combat drug cartels and other criminal organizations, with part of their work involving dismantling municipal police departments accused of having corrupt officers.
In related news, the Attorney General of the United States, Eric Holder, today abruptly fired every Congressman/woman and Senator for the same basis as the above post.

Then he fired himself.

For the same reasons.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #1596
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883
NAPCAR race
So, watching stock car racing gives you the naps too, eh?

Cure: Just dump some Skittles into the toilet bowel and flush. The multi-colored orbs going round and round simulate your average NASCAR race.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #1597
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

NASCAR: Juan Pablo Montoya!!!!!

(Sorry: He's Colombian, not Mexican)
Old 05-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #1598
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Indy Car: Helio Castroneves!!!!!

(Sorry: He's Brazilian, not Mexican)
Old 05-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #1599
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Indy Car: Danica Patrick!!!!!

(Honorary Latina Chick)

PS: 5th place Indy 500
Old 05-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #1600
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

And Now a Word from our Sponsor

Monica Gonzalez, Captain of the Mexican Women's Soccer Team:

Old 05-30-2010, 11:08 PM   #1601
Stranded in Iowa
couch adv`r

Oddometer: 298
I would like to travel down to Mexico and such. But what kills me is stories like what happened to this fella:
Seattle to Argentina on a KLR 650 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505

He broke his back when he accidently ran into a donkey. He got the worst treatment ever in a Mexican hospital. Absolutely horrible. Luckily he got a Med Jet flight after paying a bribe to have someone place a call for help.
In the end he was a paralegic (spelling?) that committed scuicide.

I also understand that the only people who say that Mexico is dangerous are people who don`t travel there.
But what happens if your badly injured? Sounds like your badly f*****.

Thou shalt explore the outer limits of engine-braking, backfire, and hurl fireballs from thy tailpipe.

Renting Alaska: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155041
Stranded in Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 04:08 AM   #1602
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
ya don't have to go to Mexico to hit a donkey (burro down there but who's counting?) Lots of wild burros in both Texas and Arizona. Assume so in Nevada as well. As to hospital care, there's bad hospitals in lots places. Luck of the draw is my conclusion. Too bad for that dude, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded in Iowa
I would like to travel down to Mexico and such. But what kills me is stories like what happened to this fella:
Seattle to Argentina on a KLR 650 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136505

He broke his back when he accidently ran into a donkey. He got the worst treatment ever in a Mexican hospital. Absolutely horrible. Luckily he got a Med Jet flight after paying a bribe to have someone place a call for help.
In the end he was a paralegic (spelling?) that committed scuicide.

I also understand that the only people who say that Mexico is dangerous are people who don`t travel there.
But what happens if your badly injured? Sounds like your badly f*****.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:27 AM   #1603
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99
ya don't have to go to Mexico to hit a donkey (burro down there but who's counting?) Lots of wild burros in both Texas and Arizona. Assume so in Nevada as well. As to hospital care, there's bad hospitals in lots places. Luck of the draw is my conclusion. Too bad for that dude, but...

ehhh.. The donkeys, horses, cows, goats and sheep are pretty well behaved down here. The taxi / bus drivers, not so much.

I'm actually more worried about the Forest Rats (ie Deer) around home. They're much stealthier.

You rides your bike and you takes your chances, as they say.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:31 AM   #1604
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranded in Iowa
Unfortunately, motorcycling is a dangerous activity and you may be seriously injured or killed participating in this sport. You may also be far from medical care and/or the medical care you receive may or may not save your life or limb.

Even if you tout safety and wear all your gear, and encourage others to wear their gear and not ride at night, and you in fact write magazine columns regarding motorcycle safety and you specifically focus upon the hazards of hitting animals on the road, you still may be killed in this exact manner......

Consider the fate of:

Larry Grodsky

He wrote the safety column in Rider Magazine. He hit a deer in Texas and died. People still ride motorcycles in Texas and everywhere else.

Your link refers to Clayton Schwartz, a.k.a. Ozymandias. His thread is stickied to serve as a sober reminder to do all that you can to be safe in our chosen sport.

If what happened to Clayton in Mexico and afterward gives you the chills, you're not alone. If what happened to Clayton makes you think that specifically being in Mexico had anything to do with his fate, you need to do more thinking.

You made a trip to Alaska on your bike, so you're not a shrinking violet. But frankly, your imagination about what could happen to you just because "It's Mexico" may well serve to keep you north of the border.

And don't forget, if the donkeys don't get you in Mexico, the bandidos will. Certainly the water could make you sick and you could die. You might die in a Mexican hotel, in bed, from a heart attack. A boulder could fall off a Mexican mountain. Then there are the famous earthquakes down there. Volcanos too. And beware the chupacabras.

In the end, Clayton's thread isn't a warning to stay out of Mexico. He, and his mother Marylyn, would want you to go. It would honor his memory. Do what you can to be safe. Don't ride at night, wear your gear, look out for livestock etc. etc. etc.

You're an explorer. Get on out there.

tricepilot screwed with this post 05-31-2010 at 09:05 AM
Old 05-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #1605
ZONKR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
"If you are looking for perfect safety, you will do well to sit on a fence and watch the birds…"
Wilbur Wright

I used to fly an ultralight airplane and this quote was on the hangar wall at the airfield.
BMWMOA 116478
ZONKR is offline   Reply With Quote