Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #16066
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I think they make the best wine in Mexico hands down. The Cab and Merlot are both excellent. I don't even like white wine but their Chenin Blanc is excellent with sea food. If you have room please do pick up a bottle of the white for SRa SR.
I do have the pillion open and could bring a variety for all to enjoy.

If you've got specifics from their website (other than just white vs red), I'll try to get them.

JD will probably want to sample most of them and provide his opinion
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #16067
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Since you name dropped your brand and model name, the body for which retails around $3,300, I'll give you this:

It isn't the equipment, it's the photographer's eye

A $3,300 camera body isn't going to pick a subject for you, or put you in position, nor select time of day for you, or any other subtle aspect of photography.

Skip Hunt, on twtex.com, went to Colombia with a $300 point & shoot and post processed with Snapseed, an IPad app. His results were stunning. Skip has an artist's eye, and could probably blow a top of the line Hasselblad away by using a shoebox camera.

Skip Hunt

Sure, a big body, front name camera is what people expect to see their photographer carry at weddings, and for certain ISO and frame rate it may be the tool in specific situations, but 99 percent of the time, a camera like that isn't needed.

Not that any of this applies to you, but big body/big lens people are out there - the jacked pickup truck with diesel pipes segment of the population. They're not really into photography, as much as they are being seen with an expensive rig they can afford.

A DSLR, now matter how expensive, does not make a photographer. I had a chance encounter with a French photographer who lives in Chicago, and he reiterated that most studio guys have big rigs because that's what their customers expect, and expect to pay for. They don't want to pay studio rates and see a pedestrian camera on the tripod - although in many instances (he said), it would work just as good.

Time and time again, I've seen people with camera "Maseratis" being blown away with camera "Chevys".

Your work is probably great, but Mike Strah could do what he does with Skip's point & shoot.

Skip Hunt runs all over Mexico making photographs with a very average camera, and does work people with much bigger wallets would die to be able to do.
Says the guy with the KTM 400.

While I respect your experience in Mexico, you tend to come off like a condescending ass most of the time.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #16068
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Mexican Wine

Quote:
SR - look over their wine selection and pick one - I'll bring a bottle to Durango
I had some very good wines from Baja. There is a wine shop in San Cristobal de Las Casas, right on the Guadalupe walk street that has only Baja wines. They are not a tasting room, sales only, so I didn't get to try. When I went through the Valle de Guadalupe in Baja I got to try a few. The Chenin Blanc, which I also don't like much, was quite acceptable.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #16069
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Photography and Gear

A lot of photographers are like a lot of bikers, moto and bicycle, they need and I do mean need a quiver of tools all farkled out for the right tool for the job.

My point and shoot is very frustrating at times. In bright light I can't really compose as I would like to, even though I have been able to get some good images and a couple of very good images. A DSLR is truly a better tool for some circumstances. Ansel Adams shot with a large format camera because it was the best tool for the work he was doing. You don't do deep focus photographs that are intended to be enlarged to gallery sizes and show no grain with a Hasselblad or even a NikonF (among Ansel's options) It takes a 4x5 or 8x10 view camera to get the results that Ansel got. It was his eye that put him in a place with his tool that made the difference.

Mike Mike has a very good eye and he is innovative in his approach, he pushes the envelope and gets some stunning results. He also doesn't try to do things he has discovered that he can't achieve with the tool he uses, or at least he doesn't show them to anyone.

I can pretty much assure you that you are only going to get snapshots with whatever you choose to shoot with if you are screaming through the countryside at high speed and banging out 300 plus miles per day.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #16070
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Photography

A picture is "taken" a photograph is "made", that takes time, even war photographers take time with their work. That is why many of them die doing it.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:45 AM   #16071
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard View Post
Says the guy with the KTM 400.

While I respect your experience in Mexico, you tend to come off like a ............................................
There's an old saying about judging others according to our own condition.

If you ever meet and ride with Trice you'll likely think as highly of the man as the rest of us do. And he will likely think well of you.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:53 AM   #16072
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
There's an old saying about judging others according to our own condition.

Pot. Kettle. Black.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #16073
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,608
Yep! Two at a time even.

Spending my evenings this week getting my bike and gear washed and
packed for the next little adventure south. Looks the the "Parras
Contingency" is working out and so I must now figure out the resulting
route options to Veracruz. Looking into Fresnillo-Zacatecas-Ajijic-MC-Ver
or just head to MC for a couple of nights then on to Ver.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #16074
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 852
Quote:

It isn't the equipment, it's the photographer's eye
I have taken outstanding fotos with my pre-war Brownie (hard to get film these days) and I have taken really shitty fotos with SLRs and DSLRs. I have not been shooting very much and my eye is no longer well practiced. When I get in the grove, it will happen.

MikeMike sees the foto before he shoots it. He has an artist's eye. Nice work.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #16075
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 852
CNN.com has another vapid piece on Mexico HERE

Nothing new but worth noting as it is generally favorable towards Mexico. Maybe a trend in the making?
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #16076
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,199

Bingo43 and his son Jaxton arrived here at the Casona around noon with a truck/trailer driven by Jeff's dad. Here Jeff unloads his BMW and Jaxton is ready to pull off the KLR.

His dad promptly left to go back to Mizzou, while we headed to a Mexico planning session.

At Harmon's BBQ. Jaxton and Jeff with Ray Harmon

Protein upload before their ride later today to Laredo

Jeff wanted to wind out the Rocket 3

Route tweaking, insurance printing, and some baggage sorting, then they'll begin a fabulous 3 week father/son adventure in Mexico.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #16077
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
CNN.com has another vapid piece on Mexico HERE

Nothing new but worth noting as it is generally favorable towards Mexico. Maybe a trend in the making?

There was another favorable article recently. I posted it about a week ago on Facebook but to be honest I can't remember if it came from CNN or not.

Interesting quote from the article and was also in the other article that I referenced: "Outside of war zones, more Americans have been killed in Mexico in the last decade than in any other country outside the United States"

Well ... duhhhhhhh ... there are more Norte Americanos in Mexico that any other country. So that stands to reason.

Another interesting quote: ""Americans," Bailey said, "have a gift for finding trouble if they're looking for it." "

Yeah. Stay away from drugs and 99% of the time you should be good.

I will have to say that when I first came to Texas circa 2008 you couldn't get in trouble in Tamaulipas. Now, the state is a hotbed of trouble.

Ditto with Monterrey, which had no trouble until fairly recently.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #16078
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Hi DK, you know, I am almost shy to say it, but my camera is a Samsung pocket camera. My previous cameras were a Nikon and a Fuji, both pocket cameras all bought at Costco.
But...bring that megapixel beauty of yours and a quiver of lens and I'll take you to a few places where you can give it a work out and maybe pass some info on to me.
Always willing to learn.
Always willing to ride. Oh, and a few of those bottle things, too.

Sometimes I don't know if I am taking the picture or the picture is taking me...to some time and place and giving me a little glimpse of something.
I try to catch it so I can share it with others.
We are all just hunters and gatherers, we're wired for that, genetically, I think.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #16079
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Wow, name calling!

This reminds me of Poltergeists. Someone opened a portal to the Basement and now they are starting to come back up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Yep! Two at a time even.

Spending my evenings this week getting my bike and gear washed and
packed for the next little adventure south. Looks the the "Parras
Contingency" is working out and so I must now figure out the resulting
route options to Veracruz. Looking into Fresnillo-Zacatecas-Ajijic-MC-Ver
or just head to MC for a couple of nights then on to Ver.
With the amount of whinging, dick measuring and name calling that goes on in this thread it probably belongs in JM.

Take a guy to task for posting the type of camera body he uses? GMAFB.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #16080
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard View Post
With the amount of whinging, dick measuring and name calling that goes on in this thread it probably belongs in JM.

Take a guy to task for posting the type of camera body he uses? GMAFB.
Good point. Guy posts about a brand new motorcycle farkled out for a trip to the Baja and nobody points out the diehards who ride beat up 250's on the same type of riding in order to make him look like an poser. I think the inference about Johnny was he was as i believe they say in Texas "all hat ..no cattle". Thats a lot to read into a mention of camera equipment. The putdown wrapped in accolades about Mike Mikes prowess with a point and shoot was still a putdown non the less.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote