Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #16081
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard View Post
With the amount of whinging, dick measuring and name calling that goes on in this thread it probably belongs in JM.

Take a guy to task for posting the type of camera body he uses? GMAFB.

Yeah, like you are perfect.

I just chalk it up to a couple of old fools that need more fiber in their diet. Either that, or they should have retired and gone riding 20 years ago.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 11:54 AM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #16082
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367

Good reason to bring a supply of nuts and bolts to Mexico

After lunch this BMW turn signal was found dangling, we fixed that with the house supply, then Jeff discovered the footpeg on the KLR had come loose with a wayward bolt as well.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #16083
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Good point. Guy posts about a brand new motorcycle farkled out for a trip to the Baja and nobody points out the diehards who ride beat up 250's on the same type of riding in order to make him look like an poser..

Funny. I had one clown call me a poser one time. That was in Jacksonville and he was a clerk at a shopping center. My crime was that I rode my GS from the Beaches to the Mall in full riding wear but it was also about a month after I had ridden coast to coast and a few years after the same bike had been in Mexico.

Poor kid probably still feels the heat from me telling him to get out and ride and not be such a judgmental dickhead.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #16084
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

That announcement about a 950 is either fairly recent or it flew under my radar because I was chatting with them about building one of their military bikes for me as an adventure tourer.

You should get one Mon. I'd love to test one out.
Craig at CJdesigns has fitted one of the Christini units to a 950 and everyone that has ridden it has given it rave reviews.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635152
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #16085
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Good reason to bring a supply of nuts and bolts to Mexico

Either that, or go to a Mexican hardware store. I lost a screw out of my helmet and had visions of riding back to the border with the visor duct taped in place. Arte sent me to a builder's hardware place in a little town of less than 1,000 population.

Long story short, the clerk vanished in the back and came out with the right screw in stainless steel rather than the original nylon. As he was putting it into my helmet he looked up at me and said "I used to live in Buffalo. Too fu*king cold. Now I am here and it's too fu*king hot."

Small world.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #16086
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Craig at CJdesigns has fitted one of the Christini units to a 950 and everyone that has ridden it has given it rave reviews.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635152

Thanks! I am subscribing to the thread.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #16087
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Jeff/Jaxton are crossing at the Colombia in the morning, then off towards Matehuala to see Real 14.

León after that to park the bikes & visit friends there, taking day rides in and around the Triangle.

He made a really interesting decision regarding Mexico insurance. I told him he should post about it.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #16088
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Good point. Guy posts about a brand new motorcycle farkled out for a trip to the Baja and nobody points out the diehards who ride beat up 250's on the same type of riding in order to make him look like an poser. I think the inference about Johnny was he was as i believe they say in Texas "all hat ..no cattle". Thats a lot to read into a mention of camera equipment. The putdown wrapped in accolades about Mike Mikes prowess with a point and shoot was still a putdown non the less.

Good point Jick, It's not like he said he was riding a Harley. In any case, he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #16089
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,122
SR, regarding the hacienda production it was very likely what that region produces today: frijol, milpa, papas, and chiles.
In that village, at chile harvest, the aroma is incredible.
Once, I was riding through there and stopped, shut off the bike and was breathing deep, taking it all in. Two old wrinkled up guys were watching me and smiled and touched their noses and waved. They were enjoying the same thing.
Amazing how human we really are when we let ourselves be.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #16090
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Zacatecas

Schizz, Check out page one of my RR, link below. Hotel Reyna Soledad Recommended by Miguelito. Nice place, great location. Great coffee shop next door.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #16091
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,819
Thanks, RMO!!

Miguelito knows his area of Mexico pretty well.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #16092
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
I regret 'dropping name' as I should have just said 'camera'.

Im the first to admit Im more fortunate than having talent. I learn or try to learn something every day. I also benefit from having had parents that were photographers and had a darkroom in our house.

A good camera doesnt make a good photographer any more than a fast racecar makes a good race driver.

Yet, its often said that you should own the best equipment that you can afford.
FWIW, I also own a Fuji X100 and a Fuji XPro1.
Does that make me a professional? No.
Does that help me enjoy experimenting with 'painting with light'? Fuck yes.

No offence taken.

Still curious as to what MM uses, just for curiosity.

Once I get to better bandwidth, Ill post some stuff up for some friendly critique.

Hasta Luego pendejos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Since you name dropped your brand and model name, the body for which retails around $3,300, I'll give you this:

It isn't the equipment, it's the photographer's eye

A $3,300 camera body isn't going to pick a subject for you, or put you in position, nor select time of day for you, or any other subtle aspect of photography.

Skip Hunt, on twtex.com, went to Colombia with a $300 point & shoot and post processed with Snapseed, an IPad app. His results were stunning. Skip has an artist's eye, and could probably blow a top of the line Hasselblad away by using a shoebox camera.

Skip Hunt

Sure, a big body, front name camera is what people expect to see their photographer carry at weddings, and for certain ISO and frame rate it may be the tool in specific situations, but 99 percent of the time, a camera like that isn't needed.

Not that any of this applies to you, but big body/big lens people are out there - the jacked pickup truck with diesel pipes segment of the population. They're not really into photography, as much as they are being seen with an expensive rig they can afford.

A DSLR, now matter how expensive, does not make a photographer. I had a chance encounter with a French photographer who lives in Chicago, and he reiterated that most studio guys have big rigs because that's what their customers expect, and expect to pay for. They don't want to pay studio rates and see a pedestrian camera on the tripod - although in many instances (he said), it would work just as good.

Time and time again, I've seen people with camera "Maseratis" being blown away with camera "Chevys".

Your work is probably great, but Mike Strah could do what he does with Skip's point & shoot.

Skip Hunt runs all over Mexico making photographs with a very average camera, and does work people with much bigger wallets would die to be able to do.
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:06 PM   #16093
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Once I get the bike down here and find out the boat hasn't sank while I was gone, everything will be more calm.
I would love to get up to VC for the weekend.
And yes, I will bring my camera and you are welcome to give it a go.

Speaking of point and shoots... there is a reason why more good shots are taken with an iPhone than any other camera - it's always with you. With a DSLR, it's always a mission to carry the bag, etc..

Nikon just came out with the A1 which is a very good camera for 1000 bucks. It's small and has a big sensor. No zoom though (like the X100) but good for 90% of situations.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hi DK, you know, I am almost shy to say it, but my camera is a Samsung pocket camera. My previous cameras were a Nikon and a Fuji, both pocket cameras all bought at Costco.
But...bring that megapixel beauty of yours and a quiver of lens and I'll take you to a few places where you can give it a work out and maybe pass some info on to me.
Always willing to learn.
Always willing to ride. Oh, and a few of those bottle things, too.

Sometimes I don't know if I am taking the picture or the picture is taking me...to some time and place and giving me a little glimpse of something.
I try to catch it so I can share it with others.
We are all just hunters and gatherers, we're wired for that, genetically, I think.
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #16094
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Once I get to better bandwidth, Ill post some stuff up for some friendly critique.

Hasta Luego pendejos!
Look forward to it.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #16095
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,572
Apologies to Tricepilot

Sorry trice,

I misinterpreted your post. Didn't realize you and D K were friends & you were just giving him a hard time.

Apologies for mistaking your intentions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard View Post
Says the guy with the KTM 400.

While I respect your experience in Mexico, you tend to come off like a condescending ass most of the time.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote