Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #16096
Johnny Drunkard
sQuishy

Oddometer: 6,515
Apologies to Tricepilot

Sorry trice,

I misinterpreted your post. Didn't realize you and D K were friends & you were just giving him a hard time.

Apologies for mistaking your intentions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard View Post
Says the guy with the KTM 400.

While I respect your experience in Mexico, you tend to come off like a condescending ass most of the time.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #16097
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard View Post
Sorry trice,

I misinterpreted your post. Didn't realize you and D K were friends & you were just giving him a hard time.

Apologies for mistaking your intentions!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #16098
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

And it's a KTM 500 - another bike I really don't know how to ride
Old 06-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #16099
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
A good camera doesnt make a good photographer any more than a fast racecar makes a good race driver.

I have a Nikon D700 and some good glass for it, but other than a telephoto for portraits, I'll never be any good with it because I'm not doing anything where a DSLR makes a difference. That, and I'm mostly a picture taker, not a photographer (with an eye for it).

I should probably get rid of it. Never have brought it to Mexico and can't see where I would bother with the bulk, the risk, or the hassel of pulling it out and putting it back in a bag.

For on the go photos, the best setup I've seen is where riders keep a P&S in a bag carabiner-clipped to their jacket. That, plus a riding glove with the thumb and pointer finger tips cut down.

I've tried a simple cord around the neck and a camera on that - most recently Richard's 500 mile challenge - but I couldn't escape the feeling that if I slid off the bike, I'd have something around the neck to catch on an object. Kind of related to the idea of why cops who wear ties usually only use clip-on ties.

It's probably my opinion only, but it's my impression that the #1 reason more photos aren't taken, even on "epic" rides (if only epic to the rider), is ease of availability of the camera.

There are also so many post processing platforms - the simplest and cheapest will do fine - that simple cropping and light adjustment is a snap, and fast.

When I take off for Durango this weekend and when riding SR's DRZ in the bosque backcountry, it will be the usual Canon Digital Elph in a Walmart carabiner case, clipped to my jacket. The glove is already cut.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #16100
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 777
Mrs. TC got a frantic call this afternoon from our housekeeper's sister, all upset because she had received a phone call claiming that our housekeeper had been kidnapped and money needed to transferred to the kidnappers right away. Mrs. TC found this strange since the housekeeper was standing right there in the kitchen talking with her. So the sisters talked on the phone and wailed and cried for 2 minutes and it was all over.

This is a common scam. It will be a random call. The caller will say "we have your sister/brother /cousin" The victim answering will usually say something like "Susie?" The scammer "will say yes, Susie." and then try to reel them in.

I don't know if this scam has a name but it should.

This is not likely to happen to motorcyclist riding through but I though you might find it interesting.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #16101
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
SR, regarding the hacienda production it was very likely what that region produces today: frijol, milpa, papas, and chiles.
In that village, at chile harvest, the aroma is incredible.
Once, I was riding through there and stopped, shut off the bike and was breathing deep, taking it all in. Two old wrinkled up guys were watching me and smiled and touched their noses and waved. They were enjoying the same thing.
Amazing how human we really are when we let ourselves be.
There are at least a couple dozen agricultural haciendas around here.

This Hacienda is privately owned and is being restored. It was textile mill. Going back to colonial times, they grew cotton in the Laguna area around Torreon. These textile mills were located on a river and had sophisticated dams and water workings to provide hydro power year round to the mill.

This one is owned by a private family and is still operated as a cattle ranch. It's an entirely preserved Hacienda. A small skirmish was fought there during the revolution and there are some bullet holes in the wall of the church. Interesting to see in Google Earth 631819.00 m E, 2726002.00 m N. They have everything, even a landing strip.

This one is in Zacatecas, You can almost tell from the color of the soil.

Some have gone to ruins. As most people must understand, after the revolution the Hacienda represented oppression, so they pilfered a lot of them and just let others go to ruins. I think they are very interesting and a while back started cataloging the locations of all of the old Haciendas I've came across. A man has to think of his future. Maybe the SR retirement plan will involve leading the Northern Mexico hacienda motorcycle tour.

My photography technique? Hold camera with left hand while steering and giving it gas with the right hand. While driving slowly and wobbly take as many pictures as I can without crashing or having to use the clutch. At home delete the bad ones, which is most of them. I use a Pentax WG-2 point and shoot? It takes great pictures, shock proof, water proof, and has a long charge life. I think the photos on top were taken with the new WG-2.

SR screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 05:34 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #16102
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Schizz, Check out page one of my RR, link below. Hotel Reyna Soledad Recommended by Miguelito. Nice place, great location. Great coffee shop next door.
Oh yeah, I know this place from my time there last January. Stayed in a hostal around the corner. The hotel is nice for the public parking off the street and easy access to El Centro.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #16103
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Mrs. TC got a frantic call this afternoon from our housekeeper's sister, all upset because she had received a phone call claiming that our housekeeper had been kidnapped and money needed to transferred to the kidnappers right away. Mrs. TC found this strange since the housekeeper was standing right there in the kitchen talking with her. So the sisters talked on the phone and wailed and cried for 2 minutes and it was all over.

This is a common scam. It will be a random call. The caller will say "we have your sister/brother /cousin" The victim answering will usually say something like "Susie?" The scammer "will say yes, Susie." and then try to reel them in.

I don't know if this scam has a name but it should.

This is not likely to happen to motorcyclist riding through but I though you might find it interesting.

It has been over a year since we had one of these situations here with the workers at the plant, but about a year ago we had 3 or 4....the authorities said that most of the calls like this, that they were able to trace, were made from cell phones in prisons from different parts of Mexico....the park manager even received one! The interesting thing is that they are experts in getting information from you and then using it to make you think they know you.
I always answer my phone in English and mostly when people that don't know me will hang up...if they know me, they will start talking to me....
I agree with you that most or all riders won't have to worry about this, but some may think it is interesting...
I agree...this is not likely to happen to someone passing through on a motorcycle....

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #16104
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
The D700 was my last camera!

I only got rid of it because a guest asked me to accompany them on a little hike in Croatia and after I gave the pictures, he asked me for my camera.
I wan't planning on selling it, so I only told him how much I paid for it.
sold!

Was going to get the D800, but there are some features omitted on that model, and I decided to go for the 5D3 because I had some credit at Adorama and blah blah blah, worked out. With the kit 24-105.

The D700 is a great camera and you should keep it. It's worth a lot more as a camera than it is in dollars.
I have a Nikkor 14-24 and a 80-400 for it too in case youre interested

Your canon Elph is a great camera. It has great iq for a p&s.

In the last couple of years, more and more mirrorless cameras have come out with APC size sensors. I mentioned the A1 - looks like a great camera for the money and it's pretty small as well.

I almost never use my big camera because it's intimidating and I feel akward carrying it around places where people are relatively poor.

The Xpro1 is a good compromise for the size vs iq.

I have Snapseed on the ipad and it does great for editing. I tend to use it more than Aperture just because it's simple and accessible.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

I have a Nikon D700 and some good glass for it, but other than a telephoto for portraits, I'll never be any good with it because I'm not doing anything where a DSLR makes a difference. That, and I'm mostly a picture taker, not a photographer (with an eye for it).

I should probably get rid of it. Never have brought it to Mexico and can't see where I would bother with the bulk, the risk, or the hassel of pulling it out and putting it back in a bag.

For on the go photos, the best setup I've seen is where riders keep a P&S in a bag carabiner-clipped to their jacket. That, plus a riding glove with the thumb and pointer finger tips cut down.

I've tried a simple cord around the neck and a camera on that - most recently Richard's 500 mile challenge - but I couldn't escape the feeling that if I slid off the bike, I'd have something around the neck to catch on an object. Kind of related to the idea of why cops who wear ties usually only use clip-on ties.

It's probably my opinion only, but it's my impression that the #1 reason more photos aren't taken, even on "epic" rides (if only epic to the rider), is ease of availability of the camera.

There are also so many post processing platforms - the simplest and cheapest will do fine - that simple cropping and light adjustment is a snap, and fast.

When I take off for Durango this weekend and when riding SR's DRZ in the bosque backcountry, it will be the usual Canon Digital Elph in a Walmart carabiner case, clipped to my jacket. The glove is already cut.
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #16105
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I would like to see a GoPro video clinic in Banamichi, and some sort of still capture conclave in Veracruz and/or Oaxaca
Old 06-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #16106
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
There are at least a couple dozen agricultural haciendas around here.

This Hacienda is privately owned and is being restored. It was textile mill. Going back to colonial times, they grew cotton in the Laguna area around Torreon. These textile mills were located on a river and had sophisticated dams and water workings to provide hydro power year round to the mill.

This one is owned by a private family and is still operated as a cattle ranch. It's an entirely preserved Hacienda. A small skirmish was fought there during the revolution and there are some bullet holes in the wall of the church. Interesting to see in Google Earth 631819.00 m E, 2726002.00 m N. They have everything, even a landing strip.

This one is in Zacatecas, You can almost tell from the color of the soil.

Some have gone to ruins. As most people must understand, after the revolution the Hacienda represented oppression, so they pilfered a lot of them and just let others go to ruins. I think they are very interesting and a while back started cataloging the locations of all of the old Haciendas I've came across. A man has to think of his future. Maybe the SR retirement plan will involve leading the Northern Mexico hacienda motorcycle tour.

My photography technique? Hold camera with left hand while steering and giving it gas with the right hand. While driving slowly and wobbly take as many pictures as I can without crashing or having to use the clutch. At home delete the bad ones, which is most of them. I use a Pentax WG-2 point and shoot? It takes great pictures, shock proof, water proof, and has a long charge life. I think the photos on top were taken with the new WG-2.

SR sign me up for the Northern Mexico Hacienda tour......
Before the last letter took over Zacatecas I explored Haciendas around here most weekends....I also had a metal detector to help find old nails, bolts, horseshoes etc.....I don't do that anymore because of the safety.....

Maybe a bit of info you might enjoy.....I have a cousin that grew up in Col. Juarez Chihuahua.....that is close to Casas Grandes...a lot of riders stay there on the way to copper canyon if they cross the border south of Deming NM....anyway my cousin loved old Haciendas and there is one just outside of Old Town.....Old Casas Grandes.....he bought it and fixed it up as a house, but I don't think he lived there much.....anyway a couple of years ago when I was visiting he showed me his guest book and it had the signature of Laura Bush....this was when George jr was the Gov of Tex..... He said that she and a girl friend from ElPaso came down to the area to do some pottery shopping and they had a Bar-B-Q with them and they stayed in the Hacienda for the night....anyway, I thought it was interesting......his hacienda is not a big one like the ones in your pictures, but I could really fill the history when I was there.

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
Old 06-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #16107
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
I was at the hacienda south of Nuevo Cass Grandes around 2008. At that time they were trying to collect money from anyone who stopped by in order to "restore the place". They had a very long way to go. They were nice people, but I don't know why anyone would stay there; other than to say they did.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #16108
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I would like to see a GoPro video clinic in Banamichi, and some sort of still capture conclave in Veracruz and/or Oaxaca
I'll get working on it. It will be best to wait until the fall so Señor Feil will be available to instruct and it won't be so beastly hot.

Any one else interested, give a shout

And also, our new straw bale annex to the hotel should be well along by then. Bales coming tomorrow.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #16109
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I was at the hacienda south of Nuevo Cass Grandes around 2008. At that time they were trying to collect money from anyone who stopped by in order to "restore the place". They had a very long way to go. They were nice people, but I don't know why anyone would stay there; other than to say they did.

The one I am referring to is south of Old Town....it was rebuilt before 2008....I don't know for sure but I would guess the reconstruction was complete around 1995 or so.....this one is...was...a nice place.....most people would enjoy stayng there. It has been several years since I have been up there and I don't know what he has done with it or if he still owns it but it was real nice when I was there. I do know that these old places cost a ton of money to fix up...and probably maintain and since he did not live there much he may have sold it by now....I really don't know

Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #16110
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
SR sign me up for the Northern Mexico Hacienda tour......
Before the last letter took over Zacatecas I explored Haciendas around here most weekends....I also had a metal detector to help find old nails, bolts, horseshoes etc.....I don't do that anymore because of the safety.....

Maybe a bit of info you might enjoy.....I have a cousin that grew up in Col. Juarez Chihuahua.....that is close to Casas Grandes...a lot of riders stay there on the way to copper canyon if they cross the border south of Deming NM....anyway my cousin loved old Haciendas and there is one just outside of Old Town.....Old Casas Grandes.....he bought it and fixed it up as a house, but I don't think he lived there much.....anyway a couple of years ago when I was visiting he showed me his guest book and it had the signature of Laura Bush....this was when George jr was the Gov of Tex..... He said that she and a girl friend from ElPaso came down to the area to do some pottery shopping and they had a Bar-B-Q with them and they stayed in the Hacienda for the night....anyway, I thought it was interesting......his hacienda is not a big one like the ones in your pictures, but I could really fill the history when I was there.
You are the first one on the list for a hacienda tour. People have been saying that Zac is getting much more tranquillo? We have been meaning to go check out the balnerios in Valpariso.

Interesting about the hacienda in Casas Grandes. I was talking to a guy who restored a hacienda and is working on another. He said it is very expensive because the federal Department of Culture, or something like that, gets involved and assigns an Archieologist to the project, for whom the owner gets to pay, and everything must be done to original specs.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote