Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #16321
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,202
Less than 24 hours until the start of the Ruta Durango - Mazatlan. 7 am tomorrow in front of the Catedral with the Federales leading out of town. Adrenaline is flowing, today is final bike prep/gear prep and staging.

Everybody finishes in Mazatlan after two days and an overnight in the Sierra at Mexiquillo. However, if things go well, SR and I will not return via pavement, we will take a different route back in one day on Monday. Ojala que si.

For the return on Monday, we took SR's Jeep and a trailer to El Salto to stage late in the day yesterday. When we come up from Maz on our own, we come out of the Bosque at El Salto. Well, that's the plan.

Rainy season has just started, and a hail storm dumped on us as we arrived in El Salto:

Also, SR's mechanic/welder friend who is riding modded his bike for night riding on this event.

It's not uncommon, in the event of a flat or breakdown, to come in in the dark.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #16322
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

SR, who had been on the route planning meetings and who is doing the GPS files, said that tomorrow, we're riding right into/through the area that Richard Grant wrote about in this book:

He also said he believes Grant made up a lot of the drama in the book to sell copies.

I have this book, thought it was a good read, but I have no perspective on whether Grant's story was true or false to any degree.

Word is, the people who control the part of Sinaloa and Durango we are riding know we're coming, are good with it, so all should remain tranquilo.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #16323
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

He also said he believes Grant made up a lot of the drama in the book to sell copies.

I have yet to read the book but I spoke to a few people in Alamos who were interviewed for background and they say he took their information and turned it around 180 degrees. They are not impressed.

I will read it though
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #16324
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:

SR's 40th birthday

He says "Let's do the Durango Loop"

We did

Epic on a scale to be saved for a ride report

Security Notice: Durango (city) and Durango (state) are safer than your local interstate highway with your texting teens

This was the best day ever on a moto in Mexico.

2 days off until the big off road to the Pacific @ Mazatlán
Very fun ride indeed. I'll throw up my pictures when I get a chance. I forgot my camera today.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #16325
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Very fun ride indeed. I'll throw up my pictures when I get a chance. I forgot my camera today.
Just don't forget it tomorrow
Old 06-20-2013, 07:26 AM   #16326
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I have yet to read the book but I spoke to a few people in Alamos who were interviewed for background and they say he took their information and turned it around 180 degrees. They are not impressed.

I will read it though
When I began reading it, I took it as a true story - until I got to the last chapter. The ending seemed a little farfetched. But it could be true. I did enjoy the read.

Fiction or non-fiction, it will be a hoot to be off the beaten path in the back country of the Sierra Madre tomorrow.

Maybe I'll have a different perspective on the book tomorrow night!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #16327
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Apologies for the late response, but thanks a lot a Amigos! Forty and Sporty, Baby!
El Alacran!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #16328
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post

Where do you guys keep th small bikes when you are riding the big ones?

D
Those dirt bikes are in an undisclosed location, under lock and key with with an alarm system, security cameras, an electric fence, and barking dogs.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #16329
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

This book/movie was about the general area northwest of Durango (city) of tomorrow's leg:

So since SR is a geologist, and we will be there, we're going to also look for Bogey's gold mine

Old 06-20-2013, 07:43 AM   #16330
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

RMO met John Huston, IIRC
Old 06-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #16331
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
When I began reading it, I took it as a true story - until I got to the last chapter. The ending seemed a little farfetched. But it could be true. I did enjoy the read.

Fiction or non-fiction, it will be a hoot to be off the beaten path in the back country of the Sierra Madre tomorrow.

Maybe I'll have a different perspective on the book tomorrow night!
There are a few tidbits in this book about Sierra Madre culture that anyone could pick up in a 45 minute conversation with someone from the Sierra, but the end of the book is ridiculous and makes no sense at all.

All the Author did was drive around in the Sierra for a few weeks and write a book about it. Then he sold a bunch of copies. Genius! Why didn't I think of that.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #16332
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

The url for the expedition is in the above
Old 06-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #16333
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,618
Quote:
Less than 24 hours until the start of the Ruta Durango - Mazatlan. 7 am tomorrow in front of the Catedral with the Federales leading out of town. Adrenaline is flowing, today is final bike prep/gear prep and staging.

Everybody finishes in Mazatlan after two days and an overnight in the Sierra at Mexiquillo. However, if things go well, SR and I will not return via pavement, we will take a different route back in one day on Monday. Ojala que si.

For the return on Monday, we took SR's Jeep and a trailer to El Salto to stage late in the day yesterday. When we come up from Maz on our own, we come out of the Bosque at El Salto. Well, that's the plan.

Rainy season has just started, and a hail storm dumped on us as we arrived in El Salto:

Also, SR's mechanic/welder friend who is riding modded his bike for night riding on this event.

It's not uncommon, in the event of a flat or breakdown, to come in in the dark.
There's always the unexpected when traveling Mexico. Weather knocks out the Veracruz leg, which was the trip's main purpose, then delivers a hail storm while driving a vehicle to El Salto for the rally. Kept looking at the windshield waiting for cracks to appear. The little town practically shut down to watch and the Pemex guys caught a nice break as we crowded our vehicles around the pumps for cover.

These pix remind me of this

Was good to not be the star in this scene.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #16334
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

All the Author did was drive around in the Sierra for a few weeks and write a book about it. Then he sold a bunch of copies. Genius! Why didn't I think of that.

Writing can be awfully hard work. During his productive Key West days Hemingway went to Sloppy Joe's bar around 1PM but what few realized was that he locked himself into his studio around 3AM every day. His goal was to write about 20 pages a day, of which he typically kept 3.

Likewise, Tennessee Williams lived with his father and a boyfriend but neither had the key to William's studio, , which was a separate building, were forbidden from knocking, and Wiliams would stay in his studio for days.

I am kinda impressed that this guy actually drove around the Sierra. If you watch the TV series Justified they do an excellent job of capturing the flavor and culture of Eastern Kentucky. Yet my understanding is that the author of the series of novels that the show is based on had never actually been in Kentucky, at least when the show started. (It's filmed in Pennsylvania, incidentally).

A lot of people, even for fiction, do a tremendous amount of research.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #16335
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,247
Feliz cumpleaños, SR