SkizzMan
There, that's it

Oddometer: 8,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Moto parking deluxe....

West out of Monterrey?.........

Skip Saltillo guys

Run 1 more hour (mas o menos) out of Saltillo and stay at the El Farol in Parras

Again, only If you are going West (40), not south (57) out of Saltillo to DF or San Miguel

Plan on a weekend arrival? Call to reserve.

There are other options in Parras, but this is what you want
Cash or AmEx only, BTW.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #16427
SkizzMan
There, that's it

After Zacatecas

Soooo, hung around Zacatecas El Centro for awhile trying to connect with my friend and failing miserably when I heard from pilot815's dad, RW66. So I bailed on Zac and rode up to Fresnillo to meet Roy and his Triumph Tiger. Roy bought me dinner and put me up for the night then treated me to breakfast the next day. Good company and a solid rider, too. He's been working in Mexico for many years and is a good friend and resource for adv riders passing through so be sure to look him up when passing that way.

Roy and his Tiger

After breakfast with Roy Saturday I took off for Mazatlan bypassing Durango and mixing it up on the new cuota and the best sections of the Espinazo del Diablo before checking in at El Cid to wait for Trice, SR and the guys to get in.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SkizzMan screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 08:20 PM
Old 06-25-2013, 08:20 PM   #16428
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I dread entering Texas tomorrow (Colombia) and sharing the road with IPhone using drivers
This is always a shock to me when I cross back. It's like they are trying to kill me as soon as I cross the bridge. Is riding in the US safe?

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:24 PM   #16429
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,549
Schizz,

Good on ya for checking out Plateros

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #16430
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Waiting on the sun.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 AM   #16431
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Waiting on the sun.
But not the roosters, I'm betting.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #16432
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
+1 Plateros is a very worthwhile stop over. The Temple of the Santo Nino de Atocha can't really be described but must be experienced. Also in the area, the mining museum in Fresnillo is a worthwhile stop.

The Plateros church is the 2nd or 3rd most visited church in Mexico. It is amazing to see all the tour busses there each weekend...it is very interesting for such a small nowhere pueblo that they get so many visitors to the church....the Santo Niño de Atocha is very well known and respected in the area.
+1 on the mine tour....the last 100 yards as you come out of the top of the mine will test your stamina.......worth a visit...however it is open only on Sat and Sun.

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #16433
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Gracias, Trice
Lets call it a cultural exchange. I also have a bottle for you as promised. Only 10 cases of this 2007 vintage remain...sorry only 9 now
I hope to have a chance this winter to visit Casa Madero in person.
Just got back to the Casona here in San Antonio

I'll figure out how to ship you your Casa Madero en la mañana

Looking forward to the Quails' Gate!

I'm certain I'm in for something much more refined than my usual pairing of gas station wine and cheeze whiz
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #16434
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
This is always a shock to me when I cross back. It's like they are trying to kill me as soon as I cross the bridge. Is riding in the US safe?
Ditto on all of that. When I got back into San Diego County, California, USA I encountered numerous homicidal idiots distracted by everything other than the task at hand. Sorry to say that some of them, the ones driving the fastest, bore Mexican plates. This dissipated with some distance from the border. Soccer moms in SUV's on cell phones... jeesh.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #16435
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
But not the roosters, I'm betting.
One was already at it while I was taking pix.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #16436
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
The Plateros church is the 2nd or 3rd most visited church in Mexico. It is amazing to see all the tour busses there each weekend...it is very interesting for such a small nowhere pueblo that they get so many visitors to the church....the Santo Niño de Atocha is very well known and respected in the area.
+1 on the mine tour....the last 100 yards as you come out of the top of the mine will test your stamina.......worth a visit...however it is open only on Sat and Sun.
So I get home, unpack, then head out for groceries where I encounter this

This also followed me home. Best Malbec ever.

Cheers!

SkizzMan screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 08:04 AM
Old 06-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #16437
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Shipping a bike to Mex City

I dont mean to derail this thread from epic riding and fine wine, but I do have a question:

I find it increasingly difficult to take enough time off to ride my bike from LA to South Mexico, so I have 2 choices left.

Either break the ride into many 2-3 day segments or (here comes original question) ship the bike.
I can ship it either from San Diego or within Mexico itself.
I heard about a train service from TJ to DF, but nobody seems to know any concrete evidence.

Has any of you Mex Vets shipped a bike?

And yes. I know its a crime NOT to ride through Mexico, but my job is more important...

David
’08 950SE - sold
’09 FE570 - sold
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:03 AM   #16438
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Shipping Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
I dont mean to derail this thread from epic riding and fine wine, but I do have a question:

I find it increasingly difficult to take enough time off to ride my bike from LA to South Mexico, so I have 2 choices left.

Either break the ride into many 2-3 day segments or (here comes original question) ship the bike.
I heard about a train service from TJ to DF, but nobody seems to know any concrete evidence.

And yes. I know its a crime NOT to ride through Mexico, but my job is more important...

David
It will be interesting to see the replies to this one! My first question would be how do you deal with TVIP without being there in person? Cu$toms broker? I imagine you could take the bike across at TJ yourself and then ship it with a common carrier or by rail. I have a moto friend who owns a trucking company in Tulancingo, Hidalgo, near DF. PM me if you want his contact info. You also might get one of the Mexican riders to ride it down for you once you get it across the border with TVIP.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #16439
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,787
Quote:

David
No problem shipping w/i Mexico, but I doubt shipping from USA to Mexico will be feasible. Saludos, Jim
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:11 AM   #16440
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,823
Logistics Group International - Mexico

Quote:

David
David - here's your LINK

Their number is (713) 957-4812

I'd give those pros a call and put your question to them. They might be able to do it, or if they're into bigger projects, they might be able to point you in the direction someone who can do it.

TVIP: Get the TVIP online and ship it with the bike

I haven't had any coffee yet so I may be able to come up with other/better ideas. This is what you get from me for now before caffeine
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote