Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #151
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
If you are considering a move to Mexico, remember that you can always go back to the states if you don't like it. Home Depot in Monterrey sells 12' extension ladders so you can get over that border fence. You can leave your bike at my house for safe keeping.

Probably less than 1% of Mexico is dangerous, same as any other country. You don't need a gun here, just good common sense.

Another angle for you to look at this decision may be to consider why expats move back to the states;

Usually the reasons for a retreat are:

The number one reason: They miss their children and grandchildren.

Number 2: They need medicare assistance.

Number 3: They never bothered to learn the language or customs of Mexico and so they never assimilated into the culture.

Number 4: They were extradited back to the states.

This is not to say that some move back because of the fear of crime. I've known many who have been victimized here, but to keep it in perspective, they were also victimized North of the border. Random acts violence are few and far in between here when compared to North of the border.

Just rent for about a year and see how it goes, it ain't for everyone.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #152
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
Guys,
Just read all 10 pages...I am tempted to tell you all to go fuck yourselves because this whole thread is so basically useless for real travelers...but I need your information.

And please don't just dismiss me if I offend you, I have ridden my motorcycle around the world blah blah blah

Quote:
The Mexican people are involved in growing drugs and moving drugs into the USA and they are killing each other but exactly where and why it has been impossible for me to find out.
On behalf of my Mexican friends, thank you for this comment.

I'll get with them and perhaps we can have a map drawn up for you, you know, places you should avoid in Mexico, like this:

Anywhere in dark blue, you should avoid
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:42 AM   #153
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
...Columbia...Columbia...l
Hey Mr. Worldly, it's Colombia.

Tricepilot could give one of those maps to Pirate John so he can become muy simpatico with bmwktmbill

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #154
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko
If you are considering a move to Mexico, remember that you can always go back to the states if you don't like it. Home Depot in Monterrey sells 12' extension ladders so you can get over that border fence. You can leave your bike at my house for safe keeping...

Kiko,

Eres mas pendejo que nunca!

Old 02-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #155
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja

Kiko,

Eres mas pendejo que nunca!
iguanas ranas!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #156
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Gosh I spend a couple of months in Guatemala and I stop paying attention to the Mexico threads, sorry I missed this one?

Quote:
Guys,
Just read all 10 pages...I am tempted to tell you all to go fuck yourselves because this whole thread is so basically useless for real travelers...but I need your information.
And folks seem to be responding to you in kind.

Quote:
I just ordered good mapping that would take me from Matamoros all the way to the Baja...there are a ton of dirt roads and National parks.
Of course, but you probably already know with your world travel experience that the map you bought will have little resemblance to reality once you get on the road. Also, the term the Baja is mostly used by gringos that have never been there or people residing in Arizona. Its called Baja California, or if youre a gringo from upper California, simply, "Baja."

Quote:
The Mexican people are involved in growing drugs and moving drugs into the USA and they are killing each other but exactly where and why it has been impossible for me to find out.
Nice comment. I'm sure the Mexicanos on this list appreciate that one. Are you sure that you have ridden your moto around the world or were you having a Holiday Inn Express moment?

Quote:
Have any of you experts checked them out or traveled east and west 300 miles or less along the border on the Mexican side?
It's some wild country. Sparcely inhabited. Mountains, deserts and canyons.
No, no one does that. That place is so crowded nobody goes there anymore. But, with your extensive experience you should know this as well.

Seriously though, many of us ride all over the frontera just because the riding is outstanding and its Mexico. If you want trouble, you can find it easily. You say you want to retire to Mexico. IMO the frontera is not the place to do it. The US/Mexico border never has been safe, on either side of the fence. This should not be a newsflash to most folks. Living near the border is like, well, living near a border, not much good goes on there. Get away from the border and get away from border problems, its as simple as that.

The question "Is Mexico Safe?" is ridiculous. Mexico is not safe and more than a few Mexicanos will tell you the northern borderlands are dangerous and have always been dangerous. The northern borderlands are Mexico's wild west. As you said, its remote, sparsely populated, rugged, and many folks that live and/or "do business" in these areas are tough as nails. Its beautiful wild country, on both sides of the fence.

I think I might be missing something, but isn't that one of the reasons we love to ride south of the border?

"safe" is a relative term. I think the US is not safe. I think travel on a motorcycle is not safe...... If you want to be safe, stay in your bathroom.

BTW, I ride a KTM and drink Starbucks. Sometimes I even ride my KTM to Starbucks, in Mexico. Does that make me hard-core?

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-14-2010 at 11:39 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #157
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,289
Quote:
Guys,

And please don't just dismiss me if I offend you, I have ridden my motorcycle around the world almost twice and in the process did all of north, central and South America.

You were on an Edelweiss tour, weren't ya?
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #158
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster
BTW, I ride a KTM and drink Starbucks. Sometimes I even ride my KTM to Starbucks, in Mexico. Does that make me hard-core?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
You were on an Edelweiss tour, weren't ya?
Are we having fun yet?

Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #159
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,763
Then fill out your profile so we can see what man like bike you ride.

QUOTE=varna2win]The beauty of ADV rider is if you make one comment in here everybody jumps on your ass. Maybe just maybe I don't know shit. One thing is for sure I'm not some candyass that rides a GS & drinks coffee at Starbucks. The Starbucks comment really pissed me off.[/QUOTE]
darmahman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #160
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko
If you are considering a move to Mexico, remember that you can always go back to the states if you don't like it. Home Depot in Monterrey sells 12' extension ladders so you can get over that border fence. You can leave your bike at my house for safe keeping.

Number 4: They were extradited back to the states.

Or they are two steps ahead of the Federales when they return to the States.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #161
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja
[/I]Tricepilot could give one of those maps to Pirate John so he can become muy simpatico with bmwktmbill

You characters keep me the hell out of this one. I'm in deep enough already.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:36 AM   #162
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot

Anywhere in dark blue, you should avoid
gimme 5.

also there are some cruisers ships that leave corpus christi and docks in cancun, probably from there only needs to deal with EZLN's Subcomandante Marcos !!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #163
oscar zerrweck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsymack
Hi Guys,
I{m in Mexico right now in Xilitla SLP,been in mexico for aweek now no problems only good people So far.Only problem has been the rain and cool weather for the last 4 days.Hope it clears up have about a month to play.Going to make aloop to west coast and then back north.Retirement {s great
later Patsy
hi path how was the ride back to del rio ,,where are the pictures ,,,hi tricepilot lets get dronk at tequila town
Old 02-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #164
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
gimme 5.

also there are some cruisers ships that leave corpus christi and docks in cancun, probably from there only needs to deal with EZLN's Subcomandante Marcos !!

Think we can invite Subcomandante Marcos to go riding with us the next time?

Maybe we can get him to wear his Che t-shirt and jacket ... that oughta really keep some of these Starbucks adventure riders on their toes.

I hear that Pancho Villa is recruiting:

Run Gringo Run! Stay away from blue countries!
Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #165
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar zerrweck
hi path how was the ride back to del rio ,,where are the pictures ,,,hi tricepilot lets get dronk at tequila town
Oscar! Good to see you posting again. Send my regards to Antonio and Ricardo. Hopefully I will be down your way again soon.

Mike