Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #16546
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Several folks have told me that there are some simple cures for vertigo and I am not majorly worried. There are techniques, exercises, and drugs.

But honestly, some of those drugs numb a person to the point where I honestly think that tequila in a flask would do the same thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I take medicine for Vertigo. I use a small amount and sometimes if I am going to ride curves intensely all day long, I will take a little extra. Besides that, walking will work miracles. I suffer no ill effects that I know of. The original prescription zonked me out so bad I could not function, so I cut it back to what works for me. If I feel it creeping up on me, I don't increase the medicine, I increase the walking.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #16547
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I will be in Lazaro Cardenas at Hector's place. Come on over!
The one NW of Zihuatenejo??

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #16548
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
I take medicine for Vertigo. I use a small amount and sometimes if I am going to ride curves intensely all day long, I will take a little extra. Besides that, walking will work miracles. I suffer no ill effects that I know of. The original prescription zonked me out so bad I could not function, so I cut it back to what works for me. If I feel it creeping up on me, I don't increase the medicine, I increase the walking.

What are you taking? A couple of folks have suggested Meclizine, which is evidently the over the counter version of Anti-Vert.

I haven't sweated it too much. It's been windy out here, and the POS motorhome that I am working out of literally sways so much in a stiff wind that it makes me sea sick, and I am sure that's part of what's going on. I recently bought a nice Avion trailer that I expect to use as my home base for future motorcycle trips so if it doesn't have leveling jacks when I get it delivered those will probably be added pretty quickly.

Someone told me that some drug (which escapes me at the moment) that is prescribed for anxiety and depression was being prescribed for vertigo and that's what prompted me to say, with some sincerity, that I might as well pack a flask of tequila.

Mine is probably at least partly a physical ear thing. When this hit me in a big way in Arkansas 9 months ago the emergency room physician said that he could tell that I had moisture on my inner ear and he gave me some nuclear sinus meds to dry that out. Since then I often have a mild buzzing in my ears.

Seems to be pretty common. I had this hit in 2002 but it went away in a few months. Both then and now it was triggered by strong cross winds. There was a mild thread hijack here at ADVRider a few days ago when the conversation changed to vertigo. And a pal of mine was telling me that getting his ears thoroughly cleaned solved his vertigo.

I have had a childhood fear of heights but that usually doesn't stop me from doing anything, it's just that I don't really care for some overlooks and that kind of thing. But with vertigo going on, and a constant sense of falling, it's pretty tough at times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #16549
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
....there were flies buzzing around the carnitas pot
Must be the same scene as in this restaurant in Durango

You should have been there to see the interaction between the battalion of flies and Schizzman as he tried to enjoy his meal

If the flies were that thick at the table - I can't imagine what the kitchen looked like

SR was right - we should have gone to Pollo Loco

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #16550
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Yesterday, up early, before the dawn, and waiting on it. On the road with the first light. Going to see what's hiding up on the altiplano de Serdan because that is the place where all good things go to hide, or just to hang out.

Look for the signs, and turn the corner. (Yes, Georgia O'Keefe crossed my mind but not her legs while I was framing this one, nothing like a little bush on the side).

Sometimes you get lucky and you find a doorway around the corner. One that you and the bike can just squeeze into. Sorry, Georgia.

If it looks like this one, you know it'll be good.

Once through, you'll see things differently. Schizz, Citlaltepetl called, she says she missed you and was pouting, but I talked to her for a bit and she put on a little show. She says it's her good side but once you've seen her from a few angles you might beg to differ.

All of this, and more, is found only two easy days riding from a border that only exists in point of view.

There is a lot going on in that last shot, there were flies buzzing around the carnitas pot, dogs scratching and dogs sleeping, people hawking and gawking and scratching and sleeping, a few swimmers in the lagoon, and me shooting into the sun.

You sing for your supper up on the high plain.

It's Canada Day, today! Felicidades to Bob Loblaw and Sjoerd!
Hmmmmmm, pouty mouth, eh?

Me likey.

Nice pix, BTW. Quote-worthy, fer sher.

Oh, and feliz Dia de los Canuckistanenses.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 07-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #16551
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,918
Thank you, and remember, ask not for whom the flies buzz around the carnitas!
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #16552
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Must be the same scene as in this restaurant in Durango

You should have been there to see the interaction between the battalion of flies and Schizzman as he tried to enjoy his meal

If the flies were that thick at the table - I can't imagine what the kitchen looked like

SR was right - we should have gone to Pollo Loco

Damn flies!

Old 07-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #16553
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Shipping a bike from TJ

Looks like I got most of my affairs in order to ship the bike fro TJ to DF.
Thanks SR!

One question remains: getting the customs stamp.

Because Baja is a free zone, ther is no 30km customs point. Does anyone know if its possible to get the stamp anywhere near TJ?

Last piece of the puzzle
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #16554
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post

Because Baja is a free zone, ther is no 30km customs point. Does anyone know if its possible to get the stamp anywhere near TJ?

Last piece of the puzzle
IMO you could do that right at the border aduana itself, that's not something that a downrange checkpoint would accomplish
Old 07-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #16555
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
Looks like I got most of my affairs in order to ship the bike fro TJ to DF.
Thanks SR!

One question remains: getting the customs stamp.

Last piece of the puzzle
If by "customs stamp" you mean Temporary Vehicle Import Permit (TVIP)
Go to www.banjercito.com and click on "Red de Sucursales y Cajeros" in the box titled, "CONOSCA MÁS", then "MAPA DE SUCURSALES" in the top-right corner. Click on Baja (Norte) and find the address and info for the TJ Banjercito branch.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:26 PM   #16556
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
IMO you could do that right at the border aduana itself, that's not something that a downrange checkpoint would accomplish
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Can this be done by a Customs Officials right at the border in the Baja area?
This is where my money is. For me, this is a guess, since I've never done this particular process. But my intuition tells me it should be able to be done right at the brick and mortal border aduana, not at a downrange checkpoint. Just a guess.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #16557
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Mike, are you a Ranger also? Just wonder'in - I'm from the north side, between The Woodlands and Conroe off 1488. Would like to buy your a beer sometime and extract some mexican adventure stories!!
Yes, I graduated with class 4-81. I'm down in the south. Clear Lake/League City.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #16558
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

So it's a Chupacabra Stamp?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #16559
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,505
Quote:
The RR kicks off later today...
Hurry up already! I'm doing the pee-pee dance waiting for this thing!

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #16560
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,166
They don't stamp anything at the 30k checkpoint, they just check your TVIP.