Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #16606
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Salma/Yacht

Trice,

For all we know the yacht that DK works on could be Salma's husband's yacht. For security reasons those boat crew folks have to sign an NDA. (Non Disclosure Agreement) As many of them really want to keep their jobs they are pretty close mouthed about any particulars.

Salma might easily walk onto the boat as you were being keelhauled.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #16607
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Banjercito/Palomas

When I crossed at Palomas on 15 Dec 2012 they did not even look at the bike. I handed them my driver's license, bike registration and credit card and they handed me back a credit card receipt, the TVIP document that I was only asked for once "downrange" in 4.5 months, and the sticker that they instructed me to put on the windshield. There was no one in front of me in line and it took all of about 15 minutes. The only thing that they seemed to check thoroughly was that the credit card, driver's license and vehicle registration all had the same name.

When I returned through Tecate they did inspect the bike and even took a foto of the VIN, they then scraped the hologram off with a razor scraper.

I just looked at the paperwork. The $3900 Mexican Pesos deposit was fully refunded. The $634.92 pesos ($48.84 USD) charged for the Holograma is not refunded.

Note to D K: The TVIP is only good for 180 days and if you go over that time period there are substantial fines and you don't get your deposit back. If you don't cancel out the TVIP you can't bring another vehicle into the country. They have records and they check. One of the riders here had to ride all the way back to San Francisco from TJ because he had not cancelled the TVIP on his GSA and was trying to re-enter on a Dakar... "sorry senor but this is not the motorcycle that is on your import document you must bring that one back here and cancel the permit before you can bring this one in." There was no talking his way out of that one. When you call Banjercito you might ask about this. I think that you have to cross out of the country and then back in with a new TVIP. This usually works out for most of us because the tourist visa is only good for 180 days. You may be on a different visa so you have to watch the TVIP expiration closely. If you are closer to the Guatemalan border you can go out and come back in there.

When I left Mexico at Tecate there was no Mexican Immigration Office at which to turn in my Tourist Visa. I hope that won't be a problem when I return. If you are entering Mexico in or on a vehicle you don't need your American Passport if you have a Passport Card... that could change without notice. I carried my passport because I knew that I would also be flying in and out of Mexico during my trip.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #16608
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,557
I know this is the thread to come to for Mexico advice, but can we declare TVIP thread detours to be in the spirit of oil threads?

mark883 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #16609
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Trice,

For all we know the yacht that DK works on could be Salma's husband's yacht. For security reasons those boat crew folks have to sign an NDA. (Non Disclosure Agreement) As many of them really want to keep their jobs they are pretty close mouthed about any particulars.

Salma might easily walk onto the boat as you were being keelhauled.
Fear of Salma's husband and his henchmen keeps me incognito and my spidey senses tuned

Well, except for my license plates

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #16610
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
I know this is the thread to come to for Mexico advice, but can we declare TVIP thread detours to be in the spirit of oil threads?

You could; but TV IP info is a lot more important than what kind of oil someone likes/or doesn't like.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #16611
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Thanks Rocky

As stated before a few posts ago, Im all good with the TVIP.

I was simply seekng clarification as to WHAT ELSE was needed besides the TVIP. Sounds like the holograma is it?

Ive decided to cross at Otay Mesa and do everything at the customs office. That way I can go whenever it suits me, and if something goes pear shaped, I can high tail it out of there and still get back to the boat.

Salma might be hot but my gf is hotter
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #16612
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post

Salma might be hot but my gf is hotter
You know the rules!!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #16613
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Happy 4th of July, people

Stars and Stripes
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #16614
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 347
Feliz Cuarto de Julio!

From ex-Mexico.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #16615
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
You could; but TV IP info is a lot more important than what kind of oil someone likes/or doesn't like.
It's also more important than most of the other stuff that passes for "Is Mexico Safe" info around here lately...:)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
kennyanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #16616
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,341
Got a late start and was rewarded with a long line crossing the Border and massive traffic through Monterrey. But I made it in time for a nice meal and the good company of RW66. All-in-all a good day.

Monterrey was exceptionally clear so I stopped for a pic of Saddleback Mountain.

Then up a bit into the cool damp mountain jungle to Cola de Caballo where there is the highest bungee jump in all of Mexico. Shame I had to miss out.

The bungee jump station

After breakfast we will see the famous falls then enjoy a nice DS ride through the mountains.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #16617
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Well, except for my license plates

As Richard Pryor once said " you are a license plate pressing mo fo"
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #16618
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post

I feel ya Bro, but what can be done? Topics like TVIP, passport, visa, etc., will always be current affairs on this thread. And should be, I think. It is Mexico, after all, so as soon as we all figure out how to navigate the "system", such as it is, they will surely change it.

Last year I stopped in at Allende with an expired TVIP and asked real sweet-like if they could refund the deposit anyway. La Señorita Banjercito replied real sweet-like that they already had the deposit money. No other fines or penalties were applied. I then received a new TVIP just minutes later and went on my way.

As far as RMO's question about closing a tourist visa it's not required for land travel. I was hassled once at Puente Colombia for this but I believe he was just trolling for a twenty and he let it go.

Now I'm off to see the Cola de Caballo falls.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29 AM   #16619
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Now I'm off to see the Cola de Caballo falls.
Make sure to get the money shot:

Old 07-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #16620
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

As far as RMO's question about closing a tourist visa it's not required for land travel. I was hassled once at Puente Colombia for this but I believe he was just trolling for a twenty and he let it go.
Unless you are transiting Mexico to Guatemala or Belize, don't get an entry stamp on your passport. I have spoken to people who have been hassled for trying to re-enter Mexico with an entry stamp and no exit stamp. And yes, the agents were looking for money. Don't give them the pretext
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote