Oddometer: 829
Thanks for the kind words Jick.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #16847
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Mobile Titty Bar

Are you bored Mike? Is the weather bad? Been huffing glue or gasoline again?
Old 07-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #16848
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Mulege

Would someone please tell me why you would want to go to Mulege? Did I miss something? I used to hear about it back in the day and that's why I wanted to go but the poor little place is really trashed from a series of floods. I was underwhelmed. Loreto on the other hand is pretty, nice hotel, restaurants, plaza...worth a night or two. Bahia de Los Angeles is worth a visit but could be sweltering and humid this time of year.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #16849
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Are you bored Mike? Is the weather bad? Been huffing glue or gasoline again?
Correct on all counts!

However, in my defense, someone did post, a few days ago, that this place was like a "tomb". Point taken, I'm going to the beach after a little post nuke.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #16850
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
RMO is correct, this is monsoon season. The vados can run high and heavy. I was stuck in San Vicente, just south of Ensenada for 3 days when the bridge washed out. Rode across the river when the water was down enough. Not a little bridge but the bridge on Mex Hwy 1. The worst part is that we were short of cash and the phone lines went down with the bridge - no working ATMs.

You can ususally wait out the water for a few hours or give a guy in a pickup truck 200 pesos for a lift. I had the local police take me across the river in their pickup truck. All part of the adventure
Good reason to always carry tie-downs.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #16851
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
It's a good route. No issues in BCN or BCS or in Sonora. Los Mochis has been quiet this last year.

Like Going South said, Las Mochis to Nogales will bore you to tears. You can leave MEX 15 in Hermosillo, take Mex 14 to Sonora 089 and come up along the Rio Sonora valley. Depending on the day of the week, clear your permit in either Naco (weekends) or Cananea. You will cross at Naco either way. You will avoid a potentially long wait at Nogales and enjoy a great ride through some beautiful country.

This route will take you through Banamichi, where I live and have a small hotel (more shameless self promotion) Spend the night here or just grab a cup of coffee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Took that route (the Mexican part, kinda) back in 08. GREAT trip and never felt threatened. Here's a RR if your interested - although I took as much dirt as possible. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthre...eferrerid=3049
Went in at a boarder crossing just on the Calif. side near Yuma Az. and came back through Big Bend Tx.
You'll love it - How much time are you taking?
Quote:
You are taking some pretty big risks north of the border. Did you ever see "Easy Rider". You could get wet in Baja this time of year, certainly sweaty. Skip Mulege unless you are really interested in seeing what happens when it really rains down there, I don't know what it is with Mulege,it kind of sucks, go to Loreto. Cabo San Lucas? Why? Gringolandia on steroids. Check out Todos Santos on West Coast. La Paz is actually still a nice place. I didn't get there but Cabo Pulmo comes highly recommended. All of this is weather dependent. Hwy 1 in BCS is frequently crossed by "vados", the low places where torrents of water and debris cross the road and sometimes just take it out. Can cause unexpected and extended delays. Some riders here get away with it, but my experience is that you can't rush Mexico on a moto. Check out the last part of my RR for Baja impressions.

You might consider crossing into Mex at Tecate, riding Valle de Guadalupe to Ensenada, through Ensenada to hotel I mentioned just South of San Quentin. Have fun!
I appreciate the intel.

I am planning a tight schedule. I'm young enough that I can manage the mileage. I only have 16 days to spare.

As far as why Cabo, because I want to go to the end.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #16852
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

The End

I get it about the end. That is a good reason. That's why I went to Ushuaia. Young with the ability to ride long distances is not the issue...weather, road conditions, and riding in Mexico is. Rule 1, don't ride at night is one of those conditions. Jimmex is right about the tie downs and you will need them for the ferry. Have fun!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #16853
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,669
Rule #2 is don't blast through Mexico. Its a big hearted country with big hearted people.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #16854
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
This route will take you through Banamichi, where I live and have a small hotel (more shameless self promotion) Spend the night here or just grab a cup of coffee
I'll definitely be seeing you when I make the trip!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #16855
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Tight Schedule

My Mexico riding friends, all of whom are at least ten years younger than I, unanimously said don't schedule too tightly. They were correct for a lot of reasons. Riding Mexico is not like riding an Iron Butt in the US of A. I look forward to a RR Childlike Wonder.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #16856
ChildlikeWonder
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
My Mexico riding friends, all of whom are at least ten years younger than I, unanimously said don't schedule too tightly. They were correct for a lot of reasons. Riding Mexico is not like riding an Iron Butt in the US of A. I look forward to a RR Childlike Wonder.
I would of course rather have more time, but in my line of work I will never be able to take more than 2 weeks off.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #16857
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
I would of course rather have more time, but in my line of work I will never be able to take more than 2 weeks off.
Resign! Life is too short.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #16858
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,491
Quote:
Would someone please tell me why you would want to go to Mulege? Did I miss something? I used to hear about it back in the day and that's why I wanted to go but the poor little place is really trashed from a series of floods. I was underwhelmed. Loreto on the other hand is pretty, nice hotel, restaurants, plaza...worth a night or two. Bahia de Los Angeles is worth a visit but could be sweltering and humid this time of year.
Don Johnson's Hotel Serenidad. Back in the day, anyway. Flew a v-tail Bonanza down and back one Thanksgiving when they still had the Friday night pig roast and Arnold Senterfitt was running Baja Bush Pilots. Was a great time. Don't know about now. Time stands still for no one.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #16859
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

More Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
I hear that! We have to take what we can get and do the best with it while we can. The great thing about traveling on your own is that you get to choose where and when to return.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #16860
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,491
OK, just heard from my good friend Tyler (R1200GSW) and he's in for a four day Labor Day weekend run to Rayones/Galeana area to ride with RW66. Now I just gotta get that Friday off.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote