Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #16846
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildlikeWonder View Post
I would of course rather have more time, but in my line of work I will never be able to take more than 2 weeks off.
Resign! Life is too short.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #16847
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Would someone please tell me why you would want to go to Mulege? Did I miss something? I used to hear about it back in the day and that's why I wanted to go but the poor little place is really trashed from a series of floods. I was underwhelmed. Loreto on the other hand is pretty, nice hotel, restaurants, plaza...worth a night or two. Bahia de Los Angeles is worth a visit but could be sweltering and humid this time of year.
Don Johnson's Hotel Serenidad. Back in the day, anyway. Flew a v-tail Bonanza down and back one Thanksgiving when they still had the Friday night pig roast and Arnold Senterfitt was running Baja Bush Pilots. Was a great time. Don't know about now. Time stands still for no one.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #16848
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
More Time

Quote:
I would of course rather have more time, but in my line of work I will never be able to take more than 2 weeks off.
I hear that! We have to take what we can get and do the best with it while we can. The great thing about traveling on your own is that you get to choose where and when to return.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #16849
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

OK, just heard from my good friend Tyler (R1200GSW) and he's in for a four day Labor Day weekend run to Rayones/Galeana area to ride with RW66. Now I just gotta get that Friday off.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 07-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #16850
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
I hear that! We have to take what we can get and do the best with it while we can. The great thing about traveling on your own is that you get to choose where and when to return.

Tell me about it.

3 days to the border, two days if you like death marches, and if something goes wrong with your vehicle, pull the flush handle. All that on top of business responsibilities.

Guess that makes actually getting there all the better!

Kinda wonder sometimes if Sjoerd is either the Canadian Connection or has a contract to pre-run for the monarch butterflies.

How does he do it?
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #16851
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by culturedape View Post
Hey guys,

I'm currently cruising around mexico 2up with my wife. We're in parras going toward mazatlan. It's great so far except some rain.

Was wondering where id be able to get a new chain for my suzuki v strom 650? I don't think I really need it but its good to know what to do when I do need to buy some parts and install a chain.

Martin over at the Honda dealer in Durango city described above (UTM 536193.46 m E, 2657509.80 m N) has a 525 DID chain for 700 pesos installed. No sprockets though.

Suerte.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #16852
ricard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Having a great ride around Mexico. I'm currently in San Cristobal de las Casas. I'm heading north tomorrow, I have 12 days to get to Los Angeles. I'm planning to ride up the west coast, I came down the interior. Any recommendations on what not to miss, what definitely to miss and where to stay? The ride so far is in ride reports: "Down to Mexico on an Airhead"

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900249

Thanks,

Richard
ricard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #16853
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Do NOT stop in Zipolite, if you want to make it to LA in 12 days. That place is really hard to leave.
kennyanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #16854
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Having a great ride around Mexico. I'm currently in San Cristobal de las Casas. I'm heading north tomorrow, I have 12 days to get to Los Angeles. I'm planning to ride up the west coast, I came down the interior. Any recommendations on what not to miss, what definitely to miss and where to stay? The ride so far is in ride reports: "Down to Mexico on an Airhead"

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900249

Thanks,

Richard
It's a bit of a departure from a purely coastal route but I highly recommend the road from San Blas to Durango when you get that far north. A truly great mountain route that should be 100% paved now. Takes a full day with no good overnight offerings, but well worth it. Then run the Espinazo del Diablo to Mazatlan if you've not done that one. If you have then I'll leave it to others to promote their favorite routes north from Durango. Ask about the route through Santiago Papasquiaro via Hwy 23. That's a nice route with options through Copper Canton or back to the coast.

We stayed at Hotel Hacienda Flamigos (21.540698,-105.288723) in San Blas. Parked next to the fountain by the pool. I'll stay there again.

I found the coastal route between San Blas and Mazatlan to be somewhat unremarkable.

Really enjoying your RR, BTW.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #16855
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
do not stop in zipolite, if you want to make it to la in 12 days. That place is really hard to leave.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #16856
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
It's a bit of a departure from a purely coastal route but I highly recommend the road from San Blas to Durango when you get that far north. A truly great mountain route that should be 100% paved now. Takes a full day with no good overnight offerings, but well worth it. Then run the Espinazo del Diablo to Mazatlan if you've not done that one. If you have then I'll leave it to others to promote their favorite routes north from Durango. Ask about the route through Santiago Papasquiaro via Hwy 23. That's a nice route with options through Copper Canton or back to the coast.

We stayed at Hotel Hacienda Flamigos (21.540698,-105.288723) in San Blas. Parked next to the fountain by the pool. I'll stay there again.

I found the coastal route between San Blas and Mazatlan to be somewhat unremarkable.

+1 I concur with Schizz on this plus after DGO I would return via Hidalgo del Parral then Guachochi (go check out the Sinforosa overlook) then to Creel; over the Sierra to Basaseachic via San Juanito then the great Mex 16, then start north toward home. The coastal route will roast you and bore you except for the part of Mex 200 between Lazaro Cardenas and Tecoman.
PAPA
SJTR

jimmex screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 04:19 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #16857
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
Do NOT stop in Zipolite, if you want to make it to LA in 12 days. That place is really hard to leave.
+ 1 On that!!!

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #16858
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

I'll Second everything said here...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #16859
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
I'll Second everything said here...
Well now that we have a motion and a second, I guess a vote is called for.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #16860
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
Having a great ride around Mexico. I'm currently in San Cristobal de las Casas. I'm heading north tomorrow, I have 12 days to get to Los Angeles. I'm planning to ride up the west coast, I came down the interior. Any recommendations on what not to miss, what definitely to miss and where to stay? ...
Call in to LA and tell them you have contracted Swine Flu Virus. You were refused entry into the US and are in quarantine for at least 30 days until September 1.