Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #16996
Ninja_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Ninjagirl

Maybe this can be a quick 'get your feet wet' trip if you've never been to Mexico, however, and few more days heading south, and you'll get to see the good stuff. See if you can squeeze in another couple days.

Anyhoo, don't go to Mexico, you'll probably just want to go back.
If we were to stick it out an extra couple of days and head further south....where would you recommend we go?

Thanks again!
Ninja_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #16997
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,692
West of Monterrey/Saltillo:

Parras de la Fuente

South/Southwest of Monterrey/Saltillo:

Real de Catorce

San Miguel de Allende/Guanajuato/Dolores Hidalgo**

**Best "bang for the buck" in one area. An easy 2 day ride from the border. I've done SMA to San Antonio in 1 day multiple times but do not recommend covering this type of distance in 1 day as an introductory ride into Mexico.

Pick any of the destinations mentioned and plug it into Google like this:

site:advrider.com San Miguel de Allende

You can change anything after "site:advrider.com" to your liking, the protocol will return pages of threads that already exist on whatever topic you choose. Browse to your heart's content.

Note that on all of these plans, you'll be largely on major cuota (toll) roads and not off the beaten path. Mx 85, 40, and/or 57 (the Grand Funk Railroad as I call it).

If I were you I'd go to San Miguel and spend about 4 days looking around the Jardin and the environs. Although its the most Americanized of all the places listed, you'll love the vibe, and you'll have an easy day ride to Guanajuato, the most international of the destinations listed (and a major university city). Dolores Hildalgo is pure history (and tile making).

Real de Catorce is a very unusual stop, well worth the visit but there's not much level about it, plus there is a long cobblestone ride up to the tunnel leading through the mountain into the town. Famous movie site.

Parras is the closest, basically just outside of Saltillo, a playground for the wealthy Saltillo families who park a second home there. Winemaking history galore.

Google using the protocols as described and see if any of this interests you. These are some good, but far from the only, options.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #16998
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Why would anyone believe anything that the Department of State says about anything? They are an integral part of the fear machine that is designed to keep us under control, not thinking for ourselves and herded like sheep. There is a black marble wall in Washington D.C. with the names of more than fifty thousand members of my generation that attests to the Department of State's, aided and abetted by the CIA and Executive Branch, ignorance and treachery. More recently do Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria ring a bell? The world is not a safe place and you certainly have no protection from the predations of our own government's highly secretive "security services". It is the "new world order". So, go ride your motorcycle in Mexico, but keep in mind that it is a risky business, you just might fall in love.
You've clearly been away from Mexico far too long, mi amigo bueno.

Take a deep cleansing breath and start planning your next ride. Soon it will be too dang cold to ride up there anyway.

How's the knee coming along?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #16999
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
West of Monterrey/Saltillo:

Parras de la Fuente

South/Southwest of Monterrey/Saltillo:

Real de Catorce

San Miguel de Allende/Guanajuato/Dolores Hidalgo**

**Best "bang for the buck" in one area. An easy 2 day ride from the border. I've done SMA to San Antonio in 1 day multiple times but do not recommend covering this type of distance in 1 day as an introductory ride into Mexico.

Pick any of the destinations mentioned and plug it into Google like this:

site:advrider.com San Miguel de Allende

You can change anything after "site:advrider.com" to your liking, the protocol will return pages of threads that already exist on whatever topic you choose. Browse to your heart's content.

Note that on all of these plans, you'll be largely on major cuota (toll) roads and not off the beaten path. Mx 85, 40, and/or 57 (the Grand Funk Railroad as I call it).

If I were you I'd go to San Miguel and spend about 4 days looking around the Jardin and the environs. Although its the most Americanized of all the places listed, you'll love the vibe, and you'll have an easy day ride to Guanajuato, the most international of the destinations listed (and a major university city). Dolores Hildalgo is pure history (and tile making).

Real de Catorce is a very unusual stop, well worth the visit but there's not much level about it, plus there is a long cobblestone ride up to the tunnel leading through the mountain into the town. Famous movie site.

Parras is the closest, basically just outside of Saltillo, a playground for the wealthy Saltillo families who park a second home there. Winemaking history galore.

Google using the protocols as described and see if any of this interests you. These are some good, but far from the only, options.
Pretty good "sampler" right there. Looking forward to my return to R14 in a few weeks. And Rayones, and Galeana, and Saltillo........

Will be Tyler's first ride into Mexico. Past the Border, that is. We did Reynosa and the hand-drawn ferry at Los Ebanos a coupla years ago on the Harleys. This time he's on a R1200GSW "WasserNoggin".

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #17000
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Pretty good "sampler" right there. Looking forward to my return to R14 in a few weeks. And Rayones, and Galeana, and Saltillo........
Like we talked about at Hut's in Austin....I love my "favorite haunts" in Mexico, but, for me anyway, time to branch out.

I'm still in "8th grade" compared to ADV dirt pros, but next month there's no return to "fill in the blank" for me.

SR babysat me on the ATV Ruta from Durango to Mazatlan, and with his guidance, I learned a ton about a part of Mexico that I will never forget.

Back roads Mexico draws me. As in remote back roads.

I hope Baja Bound makes me whimper. A friend asked me "what if you break a bone?"

Who wants that?

But expect about 6 weeks from now I begin to understand what the Baja aficionados were writing about. Close to all dirt Tecate to Cabo San Lucas.

Like my performance in high school and college, my grade might be a middle C.

But in the end, like before, I'm there for the after party.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #17001
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

My goal in life is to ride Baja with Vinçeńitzio, aka, the Sultan of Fumar, #747 on your program, so I'm taking these next few months to "step it up" .
Old 08-04-2013, 03:18 PM   #17002
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Heard In The Sierra Madre:

SR: "Tricepilot, you suck riding dirt bikes"

Tricepilot: "I want a second opinion!"

SR: "You're ugly too!"
Old 08-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #17003
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Old 08-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #17004
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd

Bakker

Two names that mean Mexico for US and Canada riders

We can opine about riding Mexico, but Sjoerd remains my #1 icon for researching, and knowing, and understanding Mexico as far as a non-Mexican can know it.

He knew more before we didn't know what we should know

He's been on roads even the Mexican government didn't know about

No0bs may someday learn to love Mexico like Sjoerd does

But he is the original
Old 08-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #17005
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

MikeMike

Photography

Mexico

You can stop there too
Old 08-04-2013, 03:50 PM   #17006
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
SR: "Tricepilot, you suck riding dirt bikes"

Tricepilot: "I want a second opinion!"

SR: "You're ugly too!"

Thats funny right there, I don't care who ya are, thats funny...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #17007
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
And its looking like I'll be joining you guys! Can't get enough Mexico!

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #17008
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
MikeMike

Photography

Mexico

You can stop there too
Well, thank you! And you know, if you ever get yourself back down to this side of the volcanic axis, I'll be able to get that black and white shot of you riding that is missing from your garage wall.

Now, I know what you're thinking!

Something like this, eh?

No? Ok, ok, I've got it! Something like this!

But like my good old friend, and mutual friend of Salma Hayek,

the late Tyson the monkey once told me, over a plate of manos de jaiba azul and bottle of cane liquor,

Man, I miss that monkey. I still get a shiver, in the dark, when I think of how he ended up...

Stuffed and hanging on a bottle in a beachfront bar...

MikeMike screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 06:19 AM
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #17009
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 408
gov

Attended a lecture by x CIA agent. He said. THe Cia is an intelligent agency, not an information agency. The only time you know they are lying is when their lips are moving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Only 101?
Oh snap! They need to update that.

As for government warnings, the one thing you learn very well while living in Mexico is that government is the last thing you will ever believe or rely upon.
Of course the US government, the Canadian government, whatever government is going to issue warnings. Because the moment some jackass gets in well over their head, they start shouting for consular assistance or diplomatic aid. Happens all the time. Too many people have become conditioned to rely upon government rather than themselves. That is not how nations were founded, nor how our ancestors lived their lives. Sadly it has become the norm. I remember hurricane Paulina very clearly, seeing the semi trucks loaded with aid for the people of Guerrero being held up by the military because the government wanted to be first in and distribute the aid. Mexican people will always help each other and they strongly distrust and dislike any government involvement because it always become politicized. Same thing happened when Stan nailed Tapachula with heavy rains. The worst was the earthquake in 1985 in Mexico City where the plane loads of aid sat on the runways while the government looted the resources and repackaged them with government logos and slogans. The tianguis were full of blankets and other products that had been looted and were for sale.
A little over a month ago, I was buying bread and ham and cheese to make a load of sandwiches for the people of Ursula Galvan during a "sandwich drive" to give the people at least one lunch and many local people here participated. Why? Because after some very heavy rains and flooding, the state government still had done absolutely nothing for the people. They didn't even lift a finger.
That's government at work.
Now, excuse me while I grow my beard longer and head from my cabin in the mountains. I'm outta here!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #17010
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
And its looking like I'll be joining you guys! Can't get enough Mexico!

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2
Alright!!