Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #16996
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Silly Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Girl View Post
We were thinking of riding from Laredo, TX to Monterrey on 85D....spending a night. See a touch of Mexico...and then head back to the US. We've never seen Mexico and it sounded like a fun trip.

Has anyone from the US taken bikes along this route (recently)? What are the risks? We know the basics, like cross in the morning at a less busy crossing, don't be out or ride at night, stay on toll roads when possible, watch out for "topes", etc..

We are hoping for specifics on this route and monterrey from recent experience, There are a few threads and discussions around the net but most are outdated (2007 down) and I know the situation there changes frequently.

Of much that I've read....people say...don't be flashy. I'm on a bright red BMW F650GS and my other half is on a Silver KTM 950 Adventure. I have red hair and we typically wear bright yellow jackets. Even if I dyed my hair and we ditched the jackets.....will we just stick out like a sore thumb and look like targets?

Also...how much of a risk are the road blocks......and are we likely to get pulled over by police who see us as moving ATM Machines?

Thanks - Any advice would be welcomed.
With all due respect these are really silly questions. Just go, and stay for as long as you can...four months is not even enough ...my whole riding suit and helmet are hi vis yellow...I want to be seen...it might be a good idea to read more of this thread...don't take any of the responses personally...noobs get hazed a bit here, especially when they are not particularly well informed...lastly: "red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme". If you know where that came from you might be able to ride safely in Mexico, or at least post safely here.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #16997
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
"Motorcyclists in Mexico are statistically more likely to be killed by kindness than any other cause."

From kikopedia.com.
Kiko speaks! Es verdad compañeros.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #16998
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Kindness

When you tip your bike over in Mexico five people come to pick it up for you before you can hit the kill button. When you tip your bike over in Colorado some smart ass in a Porsche Cayenne rolls down his window and tells you to "be more careful on that thing" and speeds off in a shower of gravel. There are of course exceptions but Mexico is mostly a country of friendly helpful people...don't listen to Fox propaganda or the insane ravings of xenophobic wing nuts in the US Congress.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #16999
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

U.S. State Department

Why would anyone believe anything that the Department of State says about anything? They are an integral part of the fear machine that is designed to keep us under control, not thinking for ourselves and herded like sheep. There is a black marble wall in Washington D.C. with the names of more than fifty thousand members of my generation that attests to the Department of State's, aided and abetted by the CIA and Executive Branch, ignorance and treachery. More recently do Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria ring a bell? The world is not a safe place and you certainly have no protection from the predations of our own government's highly secretive "security services". It is the "new world order". So, go ride your motorcycle in Mexico, but keep in mind that it is a risky business, you just might fall in love.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #17000
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
From The IMS Laboratory

Let's run some typical US State Department warnings on Mexico through the Care-O-Meter:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:05 AM   #17001
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Let's run some typical US State Department warnings on Mexico through the Care-O-Meter:

You care that much?Surprising.
ben2go is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #17002
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

To improve interest, the US State Department will begin showcasing a different Mexican TV Weather Girl with each new published warning on Mexico travel
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #17003
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Travel Warning of a Different Kind

Here's a new kind of warning: WARNING: failure to explore all that Mexico has to offer will have you wishing you took a more adventurous path when you're too old to travel.

This book has some amazing recommendations

Read the reviews online

You could travel for years and still not discover all the Mexico has to offer

One Hundred & One Beautiful Small Towns in Mexico

Guillermo Garcia-Oropeza

Crostobal Garcia Sanchez
Old 08-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #17004
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Morning Coffee & A Fresh Mexico Video

From the Ride Report Mexico on a DR 650
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #17005
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,189
Only 101?
Oh snap! They need to update that.

As for government warnings, the one thing you learn very well while living in Mexico is that government is the last thing you will ever believe or rely upon.
Of course the US government, the Canadian government, whatever government is going to issue warnings. Because the moment some jackass gets in well over their head, they start shouting for consular assistance or diplomatic aid. Happens all the time. Too many people have become conditioned to rely upon government rather than themselves. That is not how nations were founded, nor how our ancestors lived their lives. Sadly it has become the norm. I remember hurricane Paulina very clearly, seeing the semi trucks loaded with aid for the people of Guerrero being held up by the military because the government wanted to be first in and distribute the aid. Mexican people will always help each other and they strongly distrust and dislike any government involvement because it always become politicized. Same thing happened when Stan nailed Tapachula with heavy rains. The worst was the earthquake in 1985 in Mexico City where the plane loads of aid sat on the runways while the government looted the resources and repackaged them with government logos and slogans. The tianguis were full of blankets and other products that had been looted and were for sale.
A little over a month ago, I was buying bread and ham and cheese to make a load of sandwiches for the people of Ursula Galvan during a "sandwich drive" to give the people at least one lunch and many local people here participated. Why? Because after some very heavy rains and flooding, the state government still had done absolutely nothing for the people. They didn't even lift a finger.
That's government at work.
Now, excuse me while I grow my beard longer and head from my cabin in the mountains. I'm outta here!
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #17006
Ninja_Girl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thank you all for all the great feedback! It really helped to lift some of my fears and we may change our plans and spend a little more time down there :)
Ninja_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #17007
Ninja_Girl
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I will then post something positive about Colorado, Chicago, and let's not forget Cleveland, Ohio. It appears it deserves a travel warning directed to young women.
Haha. That cracked me up! I'm actually from Cleveland, Ohio, lol. Good advice :) I hate that the news focuses on only the bad and never on the good.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #17008
Ninja_Girl
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Ninjagirl

Maybe this can be a quick 'get your feet wet' trip if you've never been to Mexico, however, and few more days heading south, and you'll get to see the good stuff. See if you can squeeze in another couple days.

Anyhoo, don't go to Mexico, you'll probably just want to go back.
If we were to stick it out an extra couple of days and head further south....where would you recommend we go?

Thanks again!
Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #17009
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

West of Monterrey/Saltillo:

Parras de la Fuente

South/Southwest of Monterrey/Saltillo:

Real de Catorce

San Miguel de Allende/Guanajuato/Dolores Hidalgo**

**Best "bang for the buck" in one area. An easy 2 day ride from the border. I've done SMA to San Antonio in 1 day multiple times but do not recommend covering this type of distance in 1 day as an introductory ride into Mexico.

Pick any of the destinations mentioned and plug it into Google like this:

site:advrider.com San Miguel de Allende

You can change anything after "site:advrider.com" to your liking, the protocol will return pages of threads that already exist on whatever topic you choose. Browse to your heart's content.

Note that on all of these plans, you'll be largely on major cuota (toll) roads and not off the beaten path. Mx 85, 40, and/or 57 (the Grand Funk Railroad as I call it).

If I were you I'd go to San Miguel and spend about 4 days looking around the Jardin and the environs. Although its the most Americanized of all the places listed, you'll love the vibe, and you'll have an easy day ride to Guanajuato, the most international of the destinations listed (and a major university city). Dolores Hildalgo is pure history (and tile making).

Real de Catorce is a very unusual stop, well worth the visit but there's not much level about it, plus there is a long cobblestone ride up to the tunnel leading through the mountain into the town. Famous movie site.

Parras is the closest, basically just outside of Saltillo, a playground for the wealthy Saltillo families who park a second home there. Winemaking history galore.

Google using the protocols as described and see if any of this interests you. These are some good, but far from the only, options.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #17010
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Why would anyone believe anything that the Department of State says about anything? They are an integral part of the fear machine that is designed to keep us under control, not thinking for ourselves and herded like sheep. There is a black marble wall in Washington D.C. with the names of more than fifty thousand members of my generation that attests to the Department of State's, aided and abetted by the CIA and Executive Branch, ignorance and treachery. More recently do Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria ring a bell? The world is not a safe place and you certainly have no protection from the predations of our own government's highly secretive "security services". It is the "new world order". So, go ride your motorcycle in Mexico, but keep in mind that it is a risky business, you just might fall in love.
You've clearly been away from Mexico far too long, mi amigo bueno.

Take a deep cleansing breath and start planning your next ride. Soon it will be too dang cold to ride up there anyway.

How's the knee coming along?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote