Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #17131
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Thanks Sjoerd!

That's just the kind of answer needed here.

Now, what to do if two riders are taking two bikes across, both bikes owned by one of them? Is there an easy, reliable way they can TVIP both bikes without having to retitle/re-register one of them?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry Schizz, one vehicle to a customer. You will have to transfer ownership of one of them to your friend and re-register it. (you could be joint owners on the one you transfer.)

I have also had the experience where we tried to pay for 2 permits and deposits on the same card. They wanted the credit card to match the name on the bike docs.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #17132
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Girl View Post
Hey.....I have a quick question for you'all. Is there any reason that you would be required to have a credit card (Visa/Mastercard) going into Mexico........

or rather.......can you get through the entire trip without one (using only cash and debit cards)?

Thanks!
Debit card has always worked fine for me.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #17133
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_Girl View Post
Well.....it's not exactly like that. It's dual names on the title....but my name is so long that they ran out of space and his doesn't show up. But last night I checked the registration...and his name is on that. So if we don't need the title we should be ok. :)
You are on the cusp of answering your own question

As long as your individual names appear at least once, clearly and completely, on the title or the registration for each bike you're fine. You just can't use one name for two separate, motorized, plated vehicle TVIPs. Pretty simple.

Both titles and registrations work for Mexico. This is not true all over CA or SA.

The only technical hitch is if there is a lien on either bike, if so, PM me
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #17134
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,472
Sjoerrd. The trip I used cash was a main Reynosa crossing and the exit hassle might have just been having to go to the banjercito. But by then my bike was having to be push-started and my tolerance for additional hassle was not very high. lol

The next trip I just broke down and used a CC.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #17135
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Sjoerrd. The trip I used cash was a main Reynosa crossing and the exit hassle might have just been having to go to the banjercito. But by then my bike was having to be push-started and my tolerance for additional hassle was not very high. lol

The next trip I just broke down and used a CC.
Add hot, tired, aggravated, and additional hassle does become intolerable. Completely makes sense.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #17136
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Go to a dollar store and get one of those pens that are used to check for counterfeit currencies.
Ask the Mystery Rider about his Pemex experience on his trip back from Colorado.
I am not saying that you should be paranoid, but hey, every single government official will check your money here before they accept it, so why shouldn't you check American dollars when they are handed back.

Just a tip. Carry enough small peso notes to cover your gas fill ups. Some $50 peso notes or $100 peso notes are much, much better to have than a some $500 or $1000 pesos notes that are next to worthless at little stores and even some Pemex stations at a shift change. Remember too, Pemex gas handlers work primarily for tips, giving them $5 pesos or less than 50 cents for not spilling gas all over you or the bike, or better yet, when they are knowledgeable enough to just hand you the nozzle is a nice gesture.
Even $3 pesos is good, it's the gesture that counts, especially if you are traveling solo and heading for the can and your tank bag looks tempting.
Works for me. And move your bike just to in front of the pump island so they can signal in other people waiting.
Some of the Pemex locales are still insisting on using the electric locks on the washrooms where you have to pay for access. So then you have to go fishing around for coins that you just gave to the pump attendant.
The locked box with a suggested donation is nice to see. Leave a peso if the facilities are clean. Walk past it if they are not.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #17137
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Add hot, tired, aggravated, and additional hassle does become intolerable. Completely makes sense.
Yup. The memories are floating back to me. I recall receiving some smallish slip of paper with the rest of my group ( who all used cc's) when canceling the TVIP. Then push starting the bike and considering the possibility of leaving the $400 as a "good will gesture" rather than having to start it again. Nephew1 could see me doing the mental math and refused to leave until I got the money back. I did.

But had I known the first U.S. official I encountered was going to make me turn the g-d bike off again requiring me to push the fully loaded bike to station 2, I might have just abandoned the bike and walked back. It was a KLR. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #17138
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Sorry Schizz, one vehicle to a customer. You will have to transfer ownership of one of them to your friend and re-register it. (you could be joint owners on the one you transfer.)

I have also had the experience where we tried to pay for 2 permits and deposits on the same card. They wanted the credit card to match the name on the bike docs.
Yep. That's the answer I gave her.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #17139
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Go to a dollar store and get one of those pens that are used to check for counterfeit currencies.
Ask the Mystery Rider about his Pemex experience on his trip back from Colorado.
I am not saying that you should be paranoid, but hey, every single government official will check your money here before they accept it, so why shouldn't you check American dollars when they are handed back.

Just a tip. Carry enough small peso notes to cover your gas fill ups. Some $50 peso notes or $100 peso notes are much, much better to have than a some $500 or $1000 pesos notes that are next to worthless at little stores and even some Pemex stations at a shift change. Remember too, Pemex gas handlers work primarily for tips, giving them $5 pesos or less than 50 cents for not spilling gas all over you or the bike, or better yet, when they are knowledgeable enough to just hand you the nozzle is a nice gesture.
Even $3 pesos is good, it's the gesture that counts, especially if you are traveling solo and heading for the can and your tank bag looks tempting.
Works for me. And move your bike just to in front of the pump island so they can signal in other people waiting.
Some of the Pemex locales are still insisting on using the electric locks on the washrooms where you have to pay for access. So then you have to go fishing around for coins that you just gave to the pump attendant.
The locked box with a suggested donation is nice to see. Leave a peso if the facilities are clean. Walk past it if they are not.
200 peso notes work work well for GSA jockeys.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 02:45 PM
Old 08-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #17140
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,590
Never give a Pemex pump jockey a 500p note when purchasing gas for a moto. You're just asking to play the 'where's the rest of my change, can't you do math?" game. Even more fun when neither one of you speaks the other's language very well.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #17141
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Never give a Pemex pump jockey a 500p note when purchasing gas for a moto. You're just asking to play the 'where's the rest of my change, can't you do math?" game. Even more fun when neither one of you speaks the other's language very well.
Well, not without introducing him to your friend Kenny Entos.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #17142
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Another note is that when you see 2 or 3 Pemexs in close proximity and you choose the one with all of the pumps open while the others are all full of cars, then guess what? The one without the cars is the one that has had the pumps re-chipped. Your 20 L Honda tank can now accept 40 Litros of gasoline. Another tell tale sign is as soon as you order the gas, all of the station attendants will come up to you and start conversation to distract you from watching the pump totals.

The locals already know which one to avoid. For example, the first Pemex coming out our Monterrey and headed North to Texas once you swing thru the left hand tunnel is oftentimes re-programmed. The next two Pemexs within 500 meters also on the right have not been tampered with to my knowledge.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #17143
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
The next two Pemexs within 500 meters also on the right have not been tampered with to my knowledge.
As has often been said, "Eso se llama "local rider knowledge".
Always free for the asking, throughout Mexico and beyond.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #17144
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #17145
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
jeezz! this is the fastest response including a video clip instead of words....

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote