Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #17146
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #17147
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,323
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #17148
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Aww, man, after two months in Mexico, I never knew that you were supposed to tip the Pemex guys! And no wonder there were cute Pemex girls.

Good info. What's the situation in Chile and Peru?

Trice, I'm in Antarctica, again, saving money for the SA round. I'm way overdue for some good ole Texas BBQ and dog time. I still remember the nice visit with your fam.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien

bouldergeek screwed with this post 08-10-2013 at 06:19 AM
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #17149
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Gasolineras

In all of my months in Mexico I never experienced any of these behaviors at Pemex stations. I didn't know about tipping until Mike Mike told me and not only is it a nice gesture but they will watch your stuff when you go inside to pee or buy a drink. Never had a problem getting change for a 500 on a 200 peso purchase. They frequently have a wad of cash. They generally round centavos down or up depending on their mood and how many centavos. When you tip them they realize that you know the game and they can be very helpful with local information.

I had to pay a lot of money on "international transaction fees" on both my credit card and ATM card. I felt much better about carrying only a few thousand pesos in cash at any one time. The extra measure of security was worth it. Next time I will use a CC that doesn't have these fees. Paying the TVIP with credit card and getting refund back was all very simple and I got 400 airline miles. I did have one unfortunate incident with my hidden stash of US Dollars but was made whole by the establishment involved. That would never happen in the USA.

When I left Mexico at Tecate I had to circle around the block to go to Banjercito window to turn in TVIP as the office is only at the entrance to Mexico not the exit. It was simple. There was no one to collect my TC. I left Mexico and re-entered by air twice during my trip. In both instances Mexican Immigration collected by TC when I left and issued a new one when I re-entered. I only had to pay the fee once on the first entry. Presumably the last TC just expired at the end of 180 days and I will have no problem on my next entry. If you are driving/riding or taking a boat into a Mexican port you only need a US passport card. If you are flying you need your actual passport. The only document I was ever asked to show after my initial border crossing was the TVIP, never the TC or passport. They are very serious about this TVIP business and if your ownership papers are not in order they will simply not let you in. This has been gone over exhaustively on this site and it amazes me that there are still questions about it. Since it is the only document that was ever checked "downrange" its importance was underscored. I imagine that if you don't have it they will just impound your machine and you will be SOL. Evidently it is not sufficient for them just to see the decal... they want to look at the document.

To echo Trice and Turkeycreek: One plated self propelled vehicle per customer. (I think plated trailers carrying an unplated vehicle are an exception, you can get TVIP for towing vehicle with trailer. I guess that would eliminate big RV's towing a motorized vehicle. All of that was discussed here too.) Any questions Banjercito has a toll free number with friendly helpful English speaking persons and their call center is not in Bangladesh.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #17150
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
One vehicle title per person

We're Canadian and we never carry or usually can never find the vehicle "title". It's not important here, if a vehicle is sold you just sign over the registration paper. It's the vehicle registration that we need to produce, including insurance of course. You cannot register a vehicle you don't own, so that's why the registration is all we carry. We own too many vehicles and it was a pain having some in my name and some in my wife's name so now ALL our vehicles are registered/insured in my name.

Reading the last few pages am I correct thinking that we would NOT be able to cross into Mexico on two of our bikes if both were registered/insured in my name? Also, we would need to produce our actual vehicle "title"? or would our registration be proof of ownership?

My wife and I will be down south this winter and have been thinking of heading into Mexico so would like to be prepared before we head south. Thanks.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #17151
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,240
Is Mexico Safe?

Bross. You are correct. You can't. Register the one she will be riding in her name.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #17152
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Tvip

Vehicle registration in sufficient. We dp not carry our vehicle titles in the vehicle either. It is a legal document that is required for transfer of ownership of a vehicle in every state in which I have lived.

To enter Mexico with a motor vehicle and travel beyond the designated "free" areas you must have a TVIP. To get a TVIP you must have the valid vehicle registration in the name of the operator of the vehicle and that name must exactly match the other entry documents such as driver's license and passport. Additionally if a credit card is used to pay the TVIP the name on that credit card must exactly match the name on the registration, passport and driver's license. You can't pay or talk your way around this. The people at Banjercito are either on active duty with or in the employ of the Mexican military. They often carry sidearms and they don't mess around. Smile, say hello, and present the proper documents and be prepared to pay a refundable fee based on the year model of your moto. Go to Banjercito website or call 800 #.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #17153
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Ask for 195 and peel off a 200 and repeat every 2 hours. Reporting from the rooftop terrace at the Hostal Villa Colonial in downtown Zacatecas.
If you have time, go over Jardin Juarez and get a lomo Argentino at Garufa. Mmmmmmm.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #17154
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Bross. You are correct. You can't. Register the one she will be riding in her name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Vehicle registration in sufficient. We dp not carry our vehicle titles in the vehicle either. It is a legal document that is required for transfer of ownership of a vehicle in every state in which I have lived.

To enter Mexico with a motor vehicle and travel beyond the designated "free" areas you must have a TVIP. To get a TVIP you must have the valid vehicle registration in the name of the operator of the vehicle and that name must exactly match the other entry documents such as driver's license and passport. Additionally if a credit card is used to pay the TVIP the name on that credit card must exactly match the name on the registration, passport and driver's license. You can't pay or talk your way around this. The people at Banjercito are either on active duty with or in the employ of the Mexican military. They often carry sidearms and they don't mess around. Smile, say hello, and present the proper documents and be prepared to pay a refundable fee based on the year model of your moto. Go to Banjercito website or call 800 #.
Thanks for the info.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:37 PM   #17155
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

typo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Thanks for the info.
Pardon my hasty typos. Should read valid vehicle registration IS sufficient.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #17156
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Yep. That's the answer I gave her.
My bad
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #17157
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
. The people at Banjercito are either on active duty with or in the employ of the Mexican military. They often carry sidearms and they don't mess around. Smile, say hello, and present the proper documents and be prepared to pay a refundable fee based on the year model of your moto. Go to Banjercito website or call 800 #.
Dead on RMO, The Banjercito is literally "the bank of the army." But when it comes to vehicle permits, they are contracted to work for SAT, the Mexican IRS. Another reason to take them seriously. But most of the people I have dealt with in the last 7 years have been professional, courteous, helpful and at times very friendly. It is also worthwhile to note that the Banjercito is the most trusted government entity in Mexico.
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #17158
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Garufa Zacatecas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
If you have time, go over Jardin Juarez and get a lomo Argentino at Garufa. Mmmmmmm.
I second that! Take the double decker bus tour around the city. Great way to relax and get the lay of the land. I really enjoyed Zacatecas. I think I mentioned the great little coffee shop I went to in my RR. Pic of my hotel too.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #17159
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Banjercito

There are also retail establishments of the Banjercito that are essentially retail banks. There is a nice new one in La Paz with very nice people who will tell you how you have to go back to the port that you just entered from to the office at the Port HQ. Once you have ridden the 18 or 20 miles back there the very friendly staff will tell you that you can only get a TVIP there. In spite of the fact that you don't need a TVIP in Baja you have to turn it in at a border station. Who knew. I got to ride a nice road three times... was not really in the mood after ferry crossing and military check point at Port where I had a good time talking to the Marines. They were curious about my bike and Vietnam service. Took a cursory look at my papers, didn't search my stuff, and we saluted each other before I pulled away. I get the sense that Banjercito is kinda like the Mexican military's Federal Credit Union although they are open to the general public and advertise for your business like any other bank.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #17160
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,069
SAT is also known more frequently as La Hacienda.
Employees are recruited by someone turning over a rock and catching what crawls out. They make the US IRS look like Disneyland.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote