Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #17266
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
This thread is an addiction....DAMMIT MAN!

Good stuff for those who visit and desire to explore the beauties of Mexico. I'm so ready to hit the road I can't wait until December. I started my list to prep:
  • Ensure "Maria Silva" is tuned, equipped and ready to roll ...... Check
  • Join ADVrider......Check
  • Contact and order book from Sjoerd......Check
  • Pointers from the well seasoned Advriders....Check
  • Filter any and all negative US Media about Mexico ....Check
  • Erase any preconceived ideas gained about Mexico from US Media......Check
  • Stop telling those close minded family & friends about my next adventure outside of the US.... (Funny thing is... when I traveled to the Philippines & Dominican Republic solo, I heard the same thing) Oh well.... lmao..... Check
  • Initial plan to RUN through Mexico to Costa Rica....SCRATCHED. Will spend the majority of the time in Mexico to enjoy her beauty ........Check
  • No set plan but have a general direction to go and places desired to see but not a must. Just Point South, take it slow, enjoy the adventure making the route as I go.....Check
  • Use paper maps to enhance the Avdenture
  • Initiate contact with fellow Inmates in Mexico & surrounding countries for possible meet, greet and fellowship..... WIP
  • Keep plugged in with the "Is Mexico safe....thread"..... Check
.............Ok back to the TOPIC at hand ...........I'm all.......>
That would make for a good intro to "The Idiot Manual For Adventure Motorcycling", a la John Muir's Volkswagon maintenance manual with its simple yet effective wisdom and its humor.

You've likely been enjoying Jdowns RR and I recommend to you John's mode of travel. That is, have a rough idea of your route and turn around point then solicit inmate input via your Ride Report. Choose among the suggestions, research and map 'em. This has high appeal to me for its fusion of planning, wandering and leveraging the experiences of those who have gone before me.

Maybe we need to be more like dogs.

Looking forward to reading about your travels.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 09:49 AM
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #17267
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
All good stuff but this was your best decision

I would next dwell in Guatemala. Lot's of magic there.

You'll eventually get to points south. Those countries aren't going anywhere.
I agree Trice ! Thanks again for your feedback. Beer on me the next time i'm in San Antonio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

You've likely been enjoying Jdowns RR and I recommend to you John's mode of travel. That is, have a rough idea of your route and turn around point then solicit inmate input via your Ride Report. Choose among the suggestions, research and map 'em. This has high appeal to me for its fusion of planning, wandering and leveraging the experiences of those who have gone before me.

Maybe we need to be more like dogs.

Looking forward to reading about your travels.
Good stuff Schizz.... thanks for the link to Jdowns report. Have not read that YET but will do. A lot can be learned from Man's best friend.
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #17268
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Schizz, cool post with the dog's perspective!

It has convinced me that the next time I go to the local BMW dealer, I need to take a syphilitic pit bull the size of a small camel with me.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #17269
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Ask for 195 and peel off a 200 and repeat every 2 hours. Reporting from the rooftop terrace at the Hostal Villa Colonial in downtown Zacatecas.
that was always my MO.

i never needed to ask for an amount, however, as I always pumped the gas. never had an attendant refuse my request to pump myself.
i'd then stop 5p short of the amount I was paying and call it good.

...then if I had 500 notes, I would asked to break those into 200s & 100s.
a Pemex work who just received a tip and not having to pump the gas was always an honest and friendly chap. at this point you could ask any area specific questions and get an honest answer.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #17270
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
My ATM fee minimization was such.

-Bank Of America debit card used at Santander or Scotia bank ATMS. The have agreements to waive each others fees. I have an online only acct that costs me no fees. Not sure if this acct is still available. Let BOA know how long I was out of the country so the card would work.

-USSA debit card (you need to be a member. if you are more versatile than BOA card) USAA would refund up to $15 in fees per month on ATM withdraws.
Always get the max out of the ATM you can per day. Never went over the $15 allowance. Was able to use card at any ATM. Let USAA know you'll be out of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
In all of my months in Mexico I never experienced any of these behaviors at Pemex stations. I didn't know about tipping until Mike Mike told me and not only is it a nice gesture but they will watch your stuff when you go inside to pee or buy a drink. Never had a problem getting change for a 500 on a 200 peso purchase. They frequently have a wad of cash. They generally round centavos down or up depending on their mood and how many centavos. When you tip them they realize that you know the game and they can be very helpful with local information.

I had to pay a lot of money on "international transaction fees" on both my credit card and ATM card. I felt much better about carrying only a few thousand pesos in cash at any one time. The extra measure of security was worth it. Next time I will use a CC that doesn't have these fees. Paying the TVIP with credit card and getting refund back was all very simple and I got 400 airline miles. I did have one unfortunate incident with my hidden stash of US Dollars but was made whole by the establishment involved. That would never happen in the USA.

When I left Mexico at Tecate I had to circle around the block to go to Banjercito window to turn in TVIP as the office is only at the entrance to Mexico not the exit. It was simple. There was no one to collect my TC. I left Mexico and re-entered by air twice during my trip. In both instances Mexican Immigration collected by TC when I left and issued a new one when I re-entered. I only had to pay the fee once on the first entry. Presumably the last TC just expired at the end of 180 days and I will have no problem on my next entry. If you are driving/riding or taking a boat into a Mexican port you only need a US passport card. If you are flying you need your actual passport. The only document I was ever asked to show after my initial border crossing was the TVIP, never the TC or passport. They are very serious about this TVIP business and if your ownership papers are not in order they will simply not let you in. This has been gone over exhaustively on this site and it amazes me that there are still questions about it. Since it is the only document that was ever checked "downrange" its importance was underscored. I imagine that if you don't have it they will just impound your machine and you will be SOL. Evidently it is not sufficient for them just to see the decal... they want to look at the document.

To echo Trice and Turkeycreek: One plated self propelled vehicle per customer. (I think plated trailers carrying an unplated vehicle are an exception, you can get TVIP for towing vehicle with trailer. I guess that would eliminate big RV's towing a motorized vehicle. All of that was discussed here too.) Any questions Banjercito has a toll free number with friendly helpful English speaking persons and their call center is not in Bangladesh.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #17271
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
...at this point you could ask any area specific questions and get an honest answer.
+1 on that.

With one important caveat!

Ajuantami tantito while I explain. One day, a few years ago, I was frolicking about in one of the sierras south of the Zongolica region, not far from Mixtla de Altamirano http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrvaoR-xRjY
I wasn't on that particular road from the video, but on a slightly lower one running more or less parallel, loose gravel, and I came to the inevitable "fork in the road". Keep going or head down into the valley?
Lo and behold, walking up from the valley, there's a very weary and weathered older local gentleman. As he gets closer I greet him and ask him which way and how far to Zongolica. He points back down the road he is walking up and says "4 hours".
4 hours, chingao says I. He acknowledges that and nods "yes, indeed".
Aha says I, thinking fast, "Ok, 4 hours walking, but how long on the moto"?
"Haven't got an idea", he says, "I have never owned a motorcycle".
Can't beat that logic. And then the fog rolled in and it started a cold drizzle...
Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #17272
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Cuesta Blanca

Took a little trip the Cuesta Blanca, yesterday. Left the port with 26c and on the high plain it was 13c! You can shiver in Mexico in the middle of the summer if you really want to.

First, here's one for the Rocky Mountain Oyster and Turkey Creek, and yes, gentlemen, you really CAN get anything you want here...

Solo rides (because the Mystery Rider is working on his doctorate in electronics...in his garage) invoke "solitude" aka the fine art of being alone without being lonely. Excellent way to cleanse the mind, the soul, and whatever else has the smudge of the 21st century on it...

Black and white is usually my thing, an illustrative graphic kink or quirk I have, but from time to time some things just need to be done in color...

The next shot is a different angle on one I have posted here before, I was about 50 meters south of where I took this same shot a few months back, turned out differently...

Back to monochrome, El Pico is one of my favorite things to shoot, but it's kind of like a video with Nina Hartley, after awhile you run out of angles to connect with that haven't been done before, then the old girl surprises you with something new...

Took a wrong turn and rode past this and noticed the Jesus was a little crooked, after a few kilometers of contemplating how I could possibly straighten out Jesus, I turned around. On arrival, I thought I would be cursed if I touched anything and decided a shrine without parallel lines is better than some gringo messing with it. You only notice the crookedness from the south...philosophical in a way...

You have to really want to take this shot to get to the right vantage point. It, like most things in life that bring you contrast and a different perspective, began with a wrong turn...

If you can't see Mexico in the next two shots...head for Canada on your next ride. You'll only notice that the food is worse but the people have better sweaters.

If I had known my new fork seal was going to start leaking again after only 500kms, I would have spent a little while longer at the above mirador and asked for some divine intervention to rectify the woe which awaits me at the local BMW parts counter. But no sense crying over spilled fork oil.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #17273
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
The Tiger is resting at WB casa. Thank you WB
JD
It will be very rested and ready to ride on labor day weekend

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #17274
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Took a little trip the Cuesta Blanca, yesterday. Left the port with 26c and on the high plain it was 13c! You can shiver in Mexico in the middle of the summer if you really want to.

First, here's one for the Rocky Mountain Oyster and Turkey Creek, and yes, gentlemen, you really CAN get anything you want here...
MikeMike, great fotos. The 24 horas restaurant kind'a reminds of the one in the movie Dusk To Dawn tho.

Looks a great time, I can hardly wait 'til the next time I'm south of the border.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #17275
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
MikeMike, great fotos. The 24 horas restaurant kind'a reminds of the one in the movie Dusk To Dawn tho.
Thanks, George. Actually, I swear the bar that inspired the one in from Dusk to Dawn was the old "La Diosa" (the Goddess) strip club that was just outside of Angel R. Cabada a few kilometers before the ascent into the Tuxtlas.
It's gone now, but if a parking lot could talk...
These are the places that neither mariachis nor Jimmy Buffet would ever sing about.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #17276
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Excellent photography MM.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #17277
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
The Tiger is resting at WB casa. Thank you WB
JD
It will be very rested and ready to ride on labor day weekend
It will NEED to be.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-17-2013, 07:49 PM   #17278
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Schizz, cool post with the dog's perspective!

It has convinced me that the next time I go to the local BMW dealer, I need to take a syphilitic pit bull the size of a small camel with me.
When "Rabid" just won't do.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #17279
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 855
MikeMike - Thanks for the Restaurant Alicia photo.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #17280
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

You're welcome, TC. I thought that might be one of the tunes you play when you take out the guitar.

Jimmy, thanks, that area is southwest of where we came off the mountain after the "Jimmy" ride. Some very interesting things in this area.