Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 03:49 AM   #17326
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
You know, Chiapas is also wet in July.
The "mad men" will have a field day.
Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle...and drizzle.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #17327
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

You know, Chiapas is also wet in July.
I see what you did there!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #17328
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
http://www.amazon.com/Incidents-Trav...vel+in+yucatan and
http://www.amazon.com/Incidents-Travel-Yucatan-Vol-ebook/dp/B004TQ832S/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1377271023&-3&keywords=incidents+of+travel+in+yucatan

Fellow pendejos and puto-heads. This stuff is FREE on amazon for those of you who have kindles. Use this to write your ride reports.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #17329
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Don't forget our fellow 'Pendejoskis'!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #17330
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,911
Hot Off The Press

Here it is folks, the brand new, full-on video from the June 2013 ATV Ruta Durango - Mazatlán, just finished and published

If you watch this, you'll get a perfect sense of what it'll be like when you come down in June 2014 and do it yourself.

I look pretty blown out at the El Cid finish line hotel at the end of the video. At that point, I was about as exhausted as I've ever been, but feeling the high from having done it.

Really, come and do this. It can be brutal, but it's quite the party too at the beginning and the end

If you love Mexico and like dirt, this event is for you

"Go Full Screen" and turn the volume up

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #17331
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Oddometer: 8,711
Just lucky, I guess.

Got lucky today when my FD seal let loose a few miles from LSBMW while getting the street shoes put on at TJ's. Was able to limp real slow to the shop where the work is still covered under warranty. Would've been a different story had I been farther from the shop. Like, say, Mexico next week. Hoo Boy, dodged one there.

Probably lucky to get 31k outta the seal running at the speeds we do. Will be packing a replacement seal kit when the new bike gets here. Robert K still says January. Can't wait. First black one's mine.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #17332
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,293
Schizz,
Glad you didn't have it crap on you somewhere in the sticks !
I still see no logical reason for these FD seal failures.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #17333
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Especially with as few washings as my bike has seen.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #17334
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,288
DR650 now sold in Mexico
http://suzuki.com.mx/motos/dr650se/
Only took 17 years (1st year was 1996 for the model)
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #17335
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,159
Hey Schizz, thats a bummer, did it let go in one big dump, or just start weeping?
glad it was warranty work...

I know what you mean about the washing, I thought the crud helped to keep the seal in place, my bike has never seen a
presser washer..

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #17336
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
I can see reasons for those final drive seal failures. Single sided swing arm and bevel gear drive was just "one bridge too far" to assure longevity or simple fixes.
Too many functions compounded into a single design puts excess stress on those things and the resulting layer cake means it will take lots of skill, time and money to
repair. It is only a mechanical failure , not the end of the world , but I expected better of BMW . Would car owners put up with such things failing commonly?
Here is how I fared with a similar failure. Might have been related to a hard landing when a dip in the road to a small town in Nicaragua suddenly appeared !
In 2010 while on my Gs 1100 the thing gave out shortly after crossing from Florido Copan into Guatemala. It'll was lucky in that I quickly found a parking spot for it at a restaurant and it was only a 30km bus ride to Chiquimula for the night. Next morning , Sunday , it was easily arranged with a fletero to get the bike to the hotel and Monday another fletero was paid $80 to haul bike and me to Guatemala City and the main BMW service point . They immediately put the bike into the hands of techs and it was done next day .
Cost was really low compared to Anglo American rates, around $200 for labour AND parts. It was a great emergency fix , but later that year , unrelated, the tranny oil
showed chewed up pieces of a shim washer so I parked it and got the V Strom. I have a replacement tranny I still have to put in and now the back wheel shows too much slop so I will look for a good FD unit.
Sjoerd Bakker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #17337
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,293
Sjoerd,
That was actually my point about FD failures. Of course, BMW engineers know how to do a better design. The question is; why don't they. Why do they insist on taking a relatively simple function and then putting theit own spin on it, so that it is overly complex and thus prone to either failure or problems. For what its worth, I have never experienced a FD failure in any of the thirty or so cars I have owned. Motorcycle riders should expect the same reliability.
Old 08-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #17338
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Got lucky today when my FD seal let loose a few miles from LSBMW while getting the street shoes put on at TJ's. Was able to limp real slow to the shop where the work is still covered under warranty. Would've been a different story had I been farther from the shop. Like, say, Mexico next week. Hoo Boy, dodged one there.

Probably lucky to get 31k outta the seal running at the speeds we do. Will be packing a replacement seal kit when the new bike gets here. Robert K still says January. Can't wait. First black one's mine.
Mexico next week, can't wait!!!!
Pilot and I are touring DC this weekend.....
Next week end.....touring Mexico!!!!! It will be great....glad you you were able to get the problem fixed before we got out in the middle of no where like Rayones, Galiana, or Cieniga de Toros.....dodged a big one!!

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #17339
SkizzMan
There, that's it

FD Update

I also think BMW engineers could do better with the final drive design. Spoke today with LSBMW's chief mechanic who has been working on my bikes since '82 and he explained that the 2012 GSA has a redesigned FD bearing that has been failing (bearing cage failure) and blowing the seal. So it's actually much worse than just a failed seal. But not as bad as the older design which would actually conceal the bearing failure resulting in greater damage. Fortunately no other damage occurred so I'm only out a weekend of riding.

The 2014 GSA-W is still expected to arrive in Austin this January and the FD bearing/seal has once again been redesigned. I'm hopeful.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #17340
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Schizzman

Were you able to spec a new GSA-W or did you commit to take the first black one that lands? Are there any specs available at the moment? Hope the repairs are straightforward on your current ride.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote