Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #17356
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Schizz (or anyone), before you put your money down on a BMW GS of any kind, go for a half hour ride on a 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure.

You absolutely must ride this bike.

I guarantee you that within a few kms on the KTM you will feel like you have been riding it for 20 years. I had a chance to do that, yesterday. Do it!

I had the chance to A/B comparo it with a Ducati Multistrada tuned for track days with a pipe and chip The KTM is likely the best bike I have ever ridden for Mexico. Just try one before opting to go Spandau again. By the way, not only did the Mystery Rider hot rod that monster hawg of his, you need to take a ride in his "pick up", some time. That's all I'm saying. That was a day that made me feel 3 decades or so younger. No pics, I actually forgot I had my camera with me, that is how good that KTM is.
+1 for the KTM. I was worried that it wouldn´t live up to my ¨old¨ GSA. What GSA?
Orange is the Bomb!
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #17357
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I also think BMW engineers could do better with the final drive design. Spoke today with LSBMW's chief mechanic who has been working on my bikes since '82 and he explained that the 2012 GSA has a redesigned FD bearing that has been failing (bearing cage failure) and blowing the seal. So it's actually much worse than just a failed seal. But not as bad as the older design which would actually conceal the bearing failure resulting in greater damage. Fortunately no other damage occurred so I'm only out a weekend of riding.

The 2014 GSA-W is still expected to arrive in Austin this January and the FD bearing/seal has once again been redesigned. I'm hopeful.
This is like the space shuttle engineers redisigning the O-rings after the solid rocket failure. At least the FD seal failure probably won't get you killed.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #17358
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,942
Portrait of a man gone bananas over a KTM

Desde ayer...aqui en Mexico...
Part of my new series of "Riders in Black and White".
I call this one, "The Portrait of a Man Gone Bananas Over a KTM at Breakfast"

Don't confuse it with the one beneath it entitled, "Generic BMW Rider Takes Flight".

MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #17359
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Schizzman

Were you able to spec a new GSA-W or did you commit to take the first black one that lands? Are there any specs available at the moment? Hope the repairs are straightforward on your current ride.
Hey Jick,

Test rode the new GSW (as they are calling it) a few months ago. That's as close as I've gotten to riding a GSA-W. The new engine and redesigned frame sold me on the bike. And the wet clutch.

I've seen some specs on the GSA-W but can't remember where at the moment. About 20 lbs heavier than mine, IIRC. And MikeMike is on to something with the KTM 1190. This is the only other bike I'd consider against the GSA-W. It's just that it's so hard to give up the fuel capacity. Might break down and get one of each.

Turns out the FD bearing cage failed and took out the main seal. It's a known issue with the '12. Should be back in the garage Wednesday pm. Leaving for Mexico Thursday.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #17360
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
This is like the space shuttle engineers redisigning the O-rings after the solid rocket failure. At least the FD seal failure probably won't get you killed.
By the time I reached LSBMW the right side of the rear wheel was literally bathed in FD oil and the rear brake pads were done. Had I taken a right turn with any kind of lean angle I would've low-sided hard without even knowing why. Had that happened yesterday on the Three Sisters or this coming weekend down in Mexico it could very well have cost me my life. This has been on my mind the last few days.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #17361
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Schizz (or anyone), before you put your money down on a BMW GS of any kind, go for a half hour ride on a 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure.

You absolutely must ride this bike.

I guarantee you that within a few kms on the KTM you will feel like you have been riding it for 20 years. I had a chance to do that, yesterday. Do it!

I had the chance to A/B comparo it with a Ducati Multistrada tuned for track days with a pipe and chip The KTM is likely the best bike I have ever ridden for Mexico. Just try one before opting to go Spandau again. By the way, not only did the Mystery Rider hot rod that monster hawg of his, you need to take a ride in his "pick up", some time. That's all I'm saying. That was a day that made me feel 3 decades or so younger. No pics, I actually forgot I had my camera with me, that is how good that KTM is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryRider View Post
+1 for the KTM. I was worried that it wouldn´t live up to my ¨old¨ GSA. What GSA?
Orange is the Bomb!
After my latest experience with a shaft drive bike I'm thinking a chain might not suck all that hard. And you can alway carry extra fuel. Will be lining up a test ride soon.

SchizzMan screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 01:56 PM
Old 08-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #17362
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
After my latest experience with a shaft drive bike I'm thinking a chain might not suck all that hard. And you can alway carry extra fule. Will be lining up a test ride soon.
New RK chain 'n sprockets, plus a 28L Safari tank for my DRZ400E puts me in position to compete with the Beemers in Mehico.

Have youse guys seen this invite? Have to suspect you have.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iei9ZbejpM#t=31

George 99 screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 08:38 PM
George 99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #17363
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
First time I have seen a conversation about KTM's new 1190 in this thread, and it happens on page------1190
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #17364
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post
First time I have seen a conversation about KTM's new 1190 in this thread, and it happens on page------1190
Good catch, STormDog. (The ST is on purpose, I live ST. )
Old 08-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #17365
culturedape
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Anyone recommend a good shop in Mexico City? My v strom needs an oil change and brake pads.. Suzuki website says "patriotismo pro shop suzuki" but maybe some of you know a better one. Thanks.
culturedape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #17366
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
After my latest experience with a shaft drive bike I'm thinking a chain might not suck all that hard. And you can alway carry extra fule. Will be lining up a test ride soon.
C´mon down. You can try mine out.
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #17367
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,177
On my short list for next bike for sure.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #17368
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryRider View Post
C´mon down. You can try mine out.
Route change in the works. Oct-Nov timeframe, however. Will PM to coordinate. Thanks for the offer!!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #17369
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Hallo kultuuraap

Don't have any particular shop knowledge for you but if the Suzuki website
lists a service shop I would say give them a visit.
What I do suggest is that you make sure they take the calipers apart to clean and
grease the slider pins. Ask if you may watch them do the work to learn
how simple it is . Then buy a spare set of brake pads to carry along for the next time
they need replacing . That usually happens at some inconvenient place in the
boondocks . Zie pm
Getting the slider pins looked after regularly can make the pads last much longer.
Dry dirty pins cause uneven wear , rapid demise of pads
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #17370
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
A few from this weekend.

This was a 200 km ride NW from Durango city to a place called Vencedores. This year has been particularly rainy and the Sierra is very green and scenic.

Panorama.

Pemex de la Sierra.

Walter Bishop on his new 2-fidy.

Careful, that moss is slippery!

Waterfalls. These are different than the waterfalls at Sallta De Agua Llovida that I put up a few weeks ago.

Trout farms means rainbow trout for dinner.

Cabins and fueling up for the ride back.

SR screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 06:50 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote