User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #17356
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
A few from this weekend.

This was a 200 km ride NW from Durango city to a place called Vencedores. This year has been particularly rainy and the Sierra is very green and scenic.

Panorama.

Pemex de la Sierra.

Walter Bishop on his new 2-fidy.

Careful, that moss is slippery!

Waterfalls. These are different than the waterfalls at Sallta De Agua Llovida that I put up a few weeks ago.

Trout farms means rainbow trout for dinner.

Cabins and fueling up for the ride back.

SR screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 06:50 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:33 PM   #17357
SR
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.slideshare.net/juansalas/usa-mexico

New rules!

SR screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 06:14 AM
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 PM   #17358
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Oddometer: 8,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Pendejoskis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
SOMEbody didn't get the memo.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #17359
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:

Its a veritable Mexican grammar lesson. I'll try to brush up.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #17360
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Tropical Storm Fernando

Heads up for anyone heading north or south on the coast highway Mex #180, tropical storm Fernando hit us here pretty hard.
At least 13 deaths near Roca de Oro in the Yecautla area which is up around the route that Schizz and Donnie did a little over a year ago, on the edge of what Andres and Arte call "Greenland". This is a little bit inland, west, from the coast.
Also, inland from Guiterrez Zamora in the San Rafael area, the road has been closed between San Rafael and Martinez de la Torre. This is the route that Schizz and Trice rode up towards Teziutlan and beyond a couple of years back.
The storm was last Sunday, and here in Boca del Rio, it dumped about 8 inches of rain in about 5 hours.
There are now closures of the coast highway and roads leading into and out of Veracruz with residents who are po'd at the lack of planning, response, and responsibility on the part of the state and municipal governments.
These are impromptu and can cause some pretty big traffic jams.
Anyone heading north or south should consider a route more to the west, via Tehuacan and Teziutlan or Puebla (city) for the next week or so. The high plain around Ciudad Serdan is drier, stick to the high ground.
The deaths resulted from a landslide that took out some homes. With the heavy rains, there is always the risk of landslides here, particularly in the Zongolica region. A couple of weeks back, two vehicles were swept off the Zongolica highway and down the mountain side. If you have ever ridden there, you know that is a one way ticket.
Usually, from August to October, we get heavier rains, these storms can pop up real fast, like Brett did a number of years ago. In this case, the CFE weather website had clearly shown winds and rain in the 3 day forecast but no alerts were issued. The CFE got it wrong by about 12 hours, but it still had it in the forecast. The state and local governments really and truly seduced fido on this one.
This is one of the best weather sites for Mexico:

http://app.cfe.gob.mx/Aplicaciones/Q...Bol_3dias.aspx

It offers a morning forecast (matutino) and an afternoon update (vespertino) for the day and a decent 3 day outlook that is usually available and updated by 10am on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Regional specific wind and rain forecasts are found on the page.
It's in Spanish but nobody will find it too difficult to understand.
The CFE is the Federal Electrical Commission of Mexico and they use it for their operations planning. Bookmark the website. I usually use a combo of the CFE site, WeatherUnderground, Accuweather, and Weather Spark, and a massive amount of wishful thinking and denial as Craneguy can vouch for!

And now back to our regular programming...
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #17361
SkizzMan
There, that's it

And it's on like Donkey Kong!

Got the big bike back in the barn tonight. LSBMW did a great job getting the FD rebuilt for me and even re-shoed the bike for Mexico no charge after I fetched the tires from TJ's. Leaving 2pm tomorrow for WeazyBuddha's in Edinburg then crossing over Anzalduas Bridge for the Sierra León Friday morning. Planning overnights in Aramberri, Real de Catorce/Concepción del Oro and Cola de Caballo before returning home Monday. Should be a really sweet little four day minitour.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #17362
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,899
Watch for rocks in the shadows; I hit one hard enough to damage a GSA wheel on road from Mex 85 to Rayones. Have a safe and fun trip.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:22 AM   #17363
culturedape
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Hallo kultuuraap

Don't have any particular shop knowledge for you but if the Suzuki website
lists a service shop I would say give them a visit.
What I do suggest is that you make sure they take the calipers apart to clean and
grease the slider pins. Ask if you may watch them do the work to learn
how simple it is . Then buy a spare set of brake pads to carry along for the next time
they need replacing . That usually happens at some inconvenient place in the
boondocks . Zie pm
Getting the slider pins looked after regularly can make the pads last much longer.
Dry dirty pins cause uneven wear , rapid demise of pads
Sjoerd, your guidebook has been fantastic and used many times in my almost 6 weeks in Mexico. ( my own hotel tip for monterrey old town: hOtel fundadores) and if it wasn't for expert mechanic Airhead Wrangler adjusting my clutch in Manzanillo we'd have been stranded. Great forum here, couldn't have done the trip without it.

Lesson learned regarding brake pads.. Rear ones wear fast if you are fully loaded 2 up. The Jerry rigged pads (hardening pasta on old pads) that were installed in tuxtla by the nice owner of "Motos Refacciones y Servicios" have worked great so far though.

Tomorrow crossing back into the us at Nuevo laredo. No fumigation this time and also no sjoerd Bakker guide for cheap hotels. Good that we still have our camping gear..
culturedape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:38 AM   #17364
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Got the big bike back in the barn tonight. LSBMW did a great job getting the FD rebuilt for me and even re-shoed the bike for Mexico no charge after I fetched the tires from TJ's. Leaving 2pm tomorrow for WeazyBuddha's in Edinburg then crossing over Anzalduas Bridge for the Sierra León Friday morning. Planning overnights in Aramberri, Real de Catorce/Concepción del Oro and Cola de Caballo before returning home Monday. Should be a really sweet little four day minitour.
Cant wait
Im at BWI and will be in McAllen by 2
See you tonight

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #17365
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,203
Quote:
More down to earth vocab for my Spanish classes this fall
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #17366
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Just tried out all these useful phrases with my Mexican wife.

My doctor assures me I'll probably be able to walk and reproduce again within a year. In the meantime I've accepted a position in the Vienna boy's choir. They needed someone to hit the really high notes for the dogs in the audience.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #17367
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Sorry to hear of your troubles, Craneguy.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #17368
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
All of those words, and even more, can be found by simply listening to customers at a BMW parts counter here.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #17369
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Nice!! We will need to see some photos!!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #17370
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Just tried out all these useful phrases with my Mexican wife.

My doctor assures me I'll probably be able to walk and reproduce again within a year. In the meantime I've accepted a position in the Vienna boy's choir. They needed someone to hit the really high notes for the dogs in the audience.
Ouch!!

SR screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 05:12 PM