Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #17401
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

The bird problem is tragic. I have often seen, in the Tuxtlas, the capturing of birds and then the sale in the local markets. They use very fine nets and generations of families are experts in trapping birds.
One beautiful autumn day, a Park Ranger discovered a man sitting in the woods chewing away on a dead Bald Eagle. "Hey mister, the Bald Eagle is a protected species, and killing one is punishable offence", said the Park Ranger.

The man was swiftly arrested, and ushered before the judge.

In court, he pleaded innocent to the charges against him, claiming that if he didn't eat the bald eagle he would have died from starvation.

"I was so hungry" complained the defensive camper, "the Bald Eagle was the only food I could find!"

To everyone's amazement, the judge ruled in his favor.

In the judge's closing statement he asked the man, "I would like you to tell me something before I let you go. I have never eaten a bald eagle, nor ever plan on it. But I'd like to know: What did it taste like?"

The man answered, "Well, it tasted like a cross between a Whooping Crane and a Spotted Owl."

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #17402
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
One beautiful autumn day, a Park Ranger discovered a man sitting in the woods chewing away on a dead Bald Eagle. "Hey mister, the Bald Eagle is a protected species, and killing one is punishable offence", said the Park Ranger.

The man was swiftly arrested, and ushered before the judge.

In court, he pleaded innocent to the charges against him, claiming that if he didn't eat the bald eagle he would have died from starvation.

"I was so hungry" complained the defensive camper, "the Bald Eagle was the only food I could find!"

To everyone's amazement, the judge ruled in his favor.

In the judge's closing statement he asked the man, "I would like you to tell me something before I let you go. I have never eaten a bald eagle, nor ever plan on it. But I'd like to know: What did it taste like?"

The man answered, "Well, it tasted like a cross between a Whooping Crane and a Spotted Owl."

Aye, guey! The rabbit and the python joke is funnier.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #17403
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
This book is being published in English on Sept. 1o, for those interested: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ndez-narcoland
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #17404
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,044
Bosque de Chihuahua Railway.

Anyone have any idea if the Bosque de Chihuahua Railway right of way is
rideable ?

I'm planning on riding a route in October from Agua Prieta,through Huachinera,
Tres Rios, to Madera, after which I would like to ride the old railroad right of way
back to Casas Grandes. On the Antiguo Camino de Ferrocarril Nvo Casas Grandes- La Junta, taking the Bosque spur out of Madera.

I can find some photos of the train right of way, but no info on the condition
of the tunnels and bridges.

I'd consider two other experienced riders coming along.
I'll be on my KTM 690.

Twist it, Max
Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #17405
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
This book is being published in English on Sept. 1o, for those interested: http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ndez-narcoland
I took a look on Amazon for possible pre-order. Not there yet.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #17406
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Anyone have any idea if the Bosque de Chihuahua Railway right of way is
rideable ?
Tury will know. Send him a PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #17407
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Aye, guey! The rabbit and the python joke is funnier.
Good thing there is a wire mesh screen between the stage and the crowd
Old 09-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #17408
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I took a look on Amazon for possible pre-order. Not there yet.
FYI, I was able to pre-order the kindle edition.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #17409
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
FYI, I was able to pre-order the kindle edition.
Request you pre-order me a table at Ten Ten Pie and we share a bottle of Malbec
Old 09-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #17410
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,841
In. Its almost "that time" again.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #17411
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Call me jaded but there is nothing new in that book. All of this is common knowledge to anyone who lives here and understands the ebb and flow of politics in Mexico.

It is a terrific primer for anyone outside who wants to re-live some key events that have shaped Mexico in the 20th century.
The key to reading these books is to look for the inter-relationship amongst the players. This can be tough for those without a grounding in Mexican politics that sees more changes of allegiance than a battle involving Afghan fighters. Same goes for when you read Krauze's, now available in English, massive tome of the history of Mexico.

That author is one of the lucky ones, she's not one of the now silenced reporters and writers whose corpses litter the landscape of journalism.
This book could be a tremendous move forward if someone decides to do a documentary that will present the big picture on the big screen so the entire world can see the farce of Fox, the failure of Calderon, and the fraud of Pena Nieto. The 3 Stooges of modern Mexico.

The main problem is that, unless you read and understand Spanish, you are very limited in what you are going to read. The exceptions being with Krauze and now this book. For the most part, you are simply going to get an outsiders view of Mexico, usually this is totally useless. You might be thinking Alexis de Tocqueville's "America" but what you usually get is some asanine gringo perspective. Gringo journalists, apart from a very, very few with the right connections, simply cannot connect the dots that are the shady figures of Mexican politics. They don't have the proper historical grounding and with modern journalism standards so low, particularly in the USA which is a damn shame, you get some highly subjective nonsense that is passed off by some publishing house marketing department as being "an insider's look in the dangerous world of Mexican narcoviolence".
Usually, it's total bullsht.

Even the leading TV network, Televisa, is as crooked as a dog's hind leg.
If this book can set a new standard, that is fantastic, welcome, and needed! But if it slips under the radar of world attention, you'll find it heavily discounted some day soon at Barnes and Noble sitting peacefully amongst the business guru and 50 Shades wannabees.

I'm still waiting for Jorge Castaneda to write his memoirs of the Fox administration. He's probably too nice a guy to do it, but I hope he does.
Mel Gibson could play Fox in a movie, he'd probably nail it based on his lack of faculties.

What the world needs to see is how quickly Mexico decayed from Salinas to Pena Nieto. 5 presidencies that pushed a nation over the brink and past the point of return. Knowing how to spell "Echeverria" and why is a great start to understanding things. You can comfortably start there. Or why not really go for it and try to grasp Calles and get your mind around where true evil comes from and how it gets sanctioned and ingrained in a nation and lacerates its psyche for 71 years, skulking away, only to return to do it all over again with another twisted little freak of politics who dances while dangling as a marionette from the strings of those who really hold the power.

The best journalist in Mexico today is Lydia Cacho, she's got ten years on Hernandez, but you'll have to read Spanish to read her, I haven't seen any of her work in English.

Ahh, I feel better now, hope the book becomes a bestseller!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #17412
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Motoroberto , because you will have your papers before you cross the
border it really makes no difference where you enter Mexico.
That some people favour certain crossings is simply a reflection
of personal tastes , convenience . No matter which crossing you pick
it involves the same process in several steps. It is not a case as in restaurants
where one offers chicken, another specializes in Chinese food , or you
seek out Italian .
What you should consider is the regular daily rush hour commuter traffic jams at pretty well every border town downtown crossing - TRAFFIC HEADED TO THE USA is especially bad since the US SIDE IS VER SLOW
To avoid that simply time your crossing for late morning or early evening when the lineups are gone. These lines stretch for many blocks in special lanes along the border fence in designated lanes.with a bike jump to the head of the line in Mexico,do that on the US side and get screamed at by the officers.
Leaving at Matamoros, Reynosa, Laredo , all okay and easy for checking
out , canceling TVIP is handled at the riverside customs terminals
ForEagle Pass and Del Rio , El Paso ,Sonoyta and Nogales cancellation can be done at terminals on the the highways far south of each of these towns. You will not miss
seeing them.
Five days to Oaxaca is possible if you don't dawdle too much
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #17413
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Call me Jaded
ok:

Hola, Jaded
Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #17414
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Call me jaded but there is nothing new in that book. All of this is common knowledge to anyone who lives here and understands the ebb and flow of politics in Mexico.

Yet in spite of all the crap, from my perspective the average Mexican is hanging in there and many are doing well.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #17415
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

The rabbit and the snake are looming large, mijo!