Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #17731
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren42 View Post
The hotel I'm at in Zihua says no.
Got any more details? What are they saying exactly. A slide cut can be cleared by a Cat in half a day.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:34 AM   #17732
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
No need to go all the way back to DF anyway.
Take IF OPEN, Mex 134 only as far as Cd Altamirano east there to Iguala via mex 51 and south on Mex 95 to Acapulco
Nice ride , two days of scenery, one if you start at dawn and
rouse like a maniac
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #17733
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
.......if you start at dawn and rouse like a maniac
Old 10-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #17734
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,969
Mex #180 heads up

Heads up for the Mex #180 southbound. Some people might be coming down for the national BMW rally that is split this year between Papantla and Boca del Rio. Watch out for semis crowding the center line and extending into the south bound lanes on the coast highway (more than usual). What is happening is that, due to the heavy rains, the small shoulder on the northbound lanes has totally dropped off in many areas, that leaves a big chunk of highway missing on the extreme right on the northbound lanes.

The highways in Mexico are already narrow, but now, the semis are hugging the center line and often extending into the south bound lanes. Many are double semis that have a "whip" effect with the second trailer, this is worse if there is any wind or if the pavement is slippery. Pay attention, riding two abreast or even staggered is not the best idea.

I have long been against staggered riding in Mexico as it doesn't work properly on narrow roads, conflicts with the 3 lane rule, and usually means that some poor sucker in a group ride gets screwed and has to suffer the series of bumps and crappy pavement on the shoulder side.

Some Mexican group rides still insist upon strictly following the staggered ride guidelines, to the point of it becoming dangerous. With the usual hand and leg boogaloo dance people do to warn other riders about topes and pot holes, the whole thing is quite ridiculous.

If you are riding in a group, think twice about it, especially if you are visiting and you do not know the fellow riders. I say ride your own ride and a la chingada with ideas that don't work, don't feel obligated to join in. Sometimes, I think riders here have adopted group ride techniques simply because they see it done in other countries that don't have the issues with pavement that are present in Mexico. Some local clubs take issue with this but it's safety first and always.

If you have been on a group ride with Mexican riders who strictly follow the staggered ride rule, you will know what I mean.

If you have led a ride you will know what I mean when you get peppered with questions and looks as to why you are moving from side to side in the lane.

Somewhere, the Mystery Rider is laughing his arse off at this, the stories he could tell...
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #17735
motoroberto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Rode MX 131 from Oaxaca city to Puerto Escondido yesterday. Took just over 5 hours, 2 up. A few nasty snotty mud bits where they are still clearing the road and a bit of heavy rain kept us at a cautious pace, or could probably be done quicker.
All in all totally doable with caution.
Also I can add to the list of 'animals that have crossed the road in front of me' a tarantula.
One day I'll get a photo account and be able to post a proper RR. Apologies.

Brooklyn to Puerto Escondido, MX:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931315
motoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:45 AM   #17736
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoroberto View Post
Also I can add to the list of 'animals that have crossed the road in front of me' a tarantula.
If it didn't wave, it owns a Harley.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #17737
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Here is one from the DGO-MAZ highway last week. I didn't take it. It is from the newspaper.

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #17738
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

SR, more than a few roads over on this side are the same. Between those drop offs and the striking teachers and caneworkers, you have to think out the route well in advance. Tuxpan and Xalapa have been shut down today, nobody in or out for hours.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #17739
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Here is one from the DGO-MAZ highway last week. I didn't take it. It is from the newspaper.

Does the paper mention where exactly this was? It looks like right near the turn off to Los Bancos
Old 10-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #17740
SR
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Does the paper mention where exactly this was? It looks like right near the turn off to Los Bancos
Sorry, I don't recall where is. I grabbed it out of the paper about a week ago. Maybe I'll go investigate this weekend?
Old 10-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #17741
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Maybe that pit is the new turn off to Los Bancos
Old 10-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #17742
SR
Studly Adventurer

Just like a big blind tope, if you come come around the corner fast and find that hole, nothing you can do but lean back, pull up the front end and give her gas
Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #17743
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
That must have scared the Bajesus out of them. Hope they didn't get out on that side, lol
Baja Ho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #17744
billy the kid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
OK , I know I am missing some info somewhere , but searching I can't locate an answer .
I saw that MotoMikey has a 180 day TVIP . For the life of me I can't find if you have to hand this back in when crossing into Guatemala or just keep your sticker on and ride back through Mex on the return journey , saving getting another TVIP . (so long as it is within the 180 days) .
I know I have read some details on this somewhere . But have got myself confused . (not difficult)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #17745
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

You don't have to cancel a TVIP when exiting Mexico to the north, or to the south.

If you're going to need it again, and it has "time on it", then "keep it open"

What you do have to do to enter Guatemala is to cancel your Mexico FMM ("tourist card", "tourist visa", whatever your favorite saying is).

You will cancel on the Mexico side, and get a stamp in your passport. This is the stamp you will need to enter Guatemala.

Note that to get "stamped out of Mexico" your FMM has to have the payment receipt with it. If you've lost or misplaced this receipt, you'll pay for a new FMM on the spot and then immediately cancel it.

I've seen this first hand with my own eyes. No names to protect the innocent.