El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
Here we go again
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #17927
BullShatter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Motoroberto....How did you like Puerto Escondido? I'll be heading down there in January for a two month stay. A good friend of mine just opened a MOTO-FRIENDLY Hostel, 3 blocks from the beach (near the X-Games motocross course). The name of the Hostel is Vivo Escondido. His name is Ross, and he is an avid rider and would certainly welcome any business we could throw his way.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM   #17928
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mikey View Post
Can someone please explain to me what an oncoming car flashing their headlights at me means? I can't seem to figure it out. I've seen it multiple times a day for the past 3 weeks I've been in Mexico. At first I thought they were warning me of cops/military (like drivers in the USA) but haven't seen any on the road.. so then I thought they were warning me of bad road conditions/obstacles/etc but most times I never see anything out of the ordinary. The only thing left I can think of is that they are letting me know my moto headlight is on (which it always is)..
I think you got it !
Old 10-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #17929
JM
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Can someone please explain to me what an oncoming car flashing their headlights at me means? I can't seem to figure it out. I've seen it multiple times a day for the past 3 weeks I've been in Mexico. At first I thought they were warning me of cops/military (like drivers in the USA) but haven't seen any on the road.. so then I thought they were warning me of bad road conditions/obstacles/etc but most times I never see anything out of the ordinary. The only thing left I can think of is that they are letting me know my moto headlight is on (which it always is)..
If you are still riding with Trevor they may be warning you a Canadian is close by. :)

Postponing retirement one farkle at a time!
JM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:46 PM   #17930
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Crossing from Douglas, Arizona to Agua Prieta mañana.

Man, this is gonna be good
Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #17931
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Can someone please explain to me what an oncoming car flashing their headlights at me means? The only thing left I can think of is that they are letting me know my moto headlight is on (which it always is)..
This happened to me a lot. I asked some locals and they said it was because my moto light was on. Just those friendly mexicans looking out for you again Typically just the foreign bikes and/or big bikes have the lights on all the time.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #17932
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Cars used to flash their lights at me on two-lane roads until I figured out that the left side of the lane is NOT where I wanted to ride. After I switched to the right side of the lane no more flashing. The system for passing on Mexican two-lanes is a good system to know.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #17933
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
That's probably right. By law in Jalisco, motorcyclists are to ride in the right side of their lane. There is a question on your state motorcyclist license test that addresses this.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #17934
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Saltillo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZLADY650 View Post
The proposed route is crossing at Nuevo Laredo and spending the first night in Saltillo, then on to Real de Catorce.

Barb
I'm sure there are some interesting things to see and do in Saltillo, but I'd just head south right after Monterrey and just before Saltillo. If you cross at the Colombia crossing near Nuevo Laredo it's an easy ride to Real de Catorce. My son and I did it this Summer. You might spend an extra day there exploring the mines and the culture. Very cool place. Highly recommended.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 AM   #17935
billy the kid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
I was wondering the same myself , but am now positive that it is used for warning of an upcoming hazzard . Several times now I have had multiple oncoming cars flashing me and to shortly come across a road problem , rocks , broken down car etc .
I have taken to doing it myself a couple of times now and had friendly waves from the on coming drivers .

There could be other reasons too , but anytime someone flashes me now I am extra cautious .
Old 10-23-2013, 06:24 AM   #17936
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
It usually means: your light is on, danger ahead, but Schizz hit it with "move over because I am bigger than you and I am coming through" aka like the Mexican traffic sign that literally says, basically, yield to vehicles that flash their lights. Here, if someone flashes their lights they are taking right of way unlike in some parts of the world where they are signalling you to go first. Remember the difference.

Remember thst vehicle right of way is often decided by simple size of the vehicle.
The exception is a chauffer driven Suburban with some a-hole politician inside, or the politico's wife or results of their breeding experiments.

There is also a Mexican traffic sign that literally says you are to yield the right of way to vehicles that have lost their brakes.

With such helpful advice like that, who can complain about the lack of distance signs for the next city?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #17937
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,123
I don't know if any of you caught the episode of Car vs Wild on the Discovery channel where the gringo and the Brit ex-special forces guy head up Pico de Orizaba.
That is one episode of a reality show that is total bullsht.
First, it takes them 3 days to get to 4,500 meters. 3 days? You can literally ride to 4,621 meters or drive there in a mini-van from the port of Veracruz easily in less than 4 hours. Period. Ah, but that is on the Sierra Negra, you say! Yes, but you can still ride to one of the climber's shelters at 4,200 meters on Pico de Orizaba on a decent bike in less than 5 hours max. These guys in the show take a bizarre route and check in with the police before heading up.
More bullsht. You only check in with the cops if they stop you near the peak.
Everyone knows that they won't even bother to come looking for you unless someone tells them to or decides to report you missing. I have been stopped by Puebla cops twice outside of Texmaliquilla and they took my name and address but you don't have to check yourself out. Those two times were exceptions, usually there is nobody around. As for checking in on the Coscomatepec side, forget it, nobody gives a damn what you are doing. They briefly tried a registration effort on the Puebla side following two fatal climber falls and one serious injury in a 5 week period. Then they gave up, same as for the user fee that is outlined on some signs but nobody has ever collected.
During the program, these two guys use the Jeep to run straight over young pine trees and tear up the side of the mountain for no good reason. They could have simply used the marked roads and trails. Duh!
If they had permission to access the telescope road, they could have left after breakfast and been home before supper and gone 100 meters higher on the Sierra Negra than there supposed "record smashing" feat on Pico de Orizaba. By the way, the Sierra Negra or Cerro Negro or Tliltepetl is the sister peak of Citlaltepetl aka Pico de Orizaba. It is actually the 4th highest peak but most people consider it part of Pico de Orizaba (it isn't) so it is not recorded as such.
Just a head's up, if you watch that show, watch out for the bullsht they leave behind.
Here is the promo for the show:
"Gary Humphrey, a former British Special Forces soldier, Bill Wu, a California-based car fanatic and problem solver, and Ruby - their beloved 4x4, are back in Car vs. Wild taking themselves, and their trusty motor, to the limit to attempt motoring milestones never before achieved, in the most extreme places in the world. Watch them as they take on Mexico's Sierra Juarez Mountains, 1800m above sea-level, following a native American foot route to a sacred rock platform, the Sky Platform, never reached by car before. Bill & Gary attempt to smash the altitude record and get Ruby to be the highest car ever on the 14,000ft high Pico De Orizaba, Mexico's highest mountain. This volcano has a fearsome reputation as a killer peak- not everyone who goes up this mountain comes down. And the boys head toward a sacred lagoon, never visited by a car before. To get there they must travel up the winding, dangerous rivers of the Los Tuxtla jungle - which some say is protected by spirits. Taking on one river is usually challenge enough, but driving up one will need a new level of skill. With intense moments and boundaries pushed to the limits, they go where no car has ever gone before."

Pico de Orizaba is not 14,000 ft high as they state, second you do not have to navigate the dangerous rivers of the Tuxtlas to get there. The Tuxtlas are a good 250kms south of el Pico!

Mexico is safe, but it needs protection from reality tv!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #17938
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

With Jimmex at Tom and Lynn's Hotel Los Arcos in Banámichi, Sonora

Here's a pic of Tom's stash of Bacanora, which is basically 100% agave moonshine and native to Sonora
Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #17939
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Can someone please explain to me what an oncoming car flashing their headlights at me means?
Holy Shit, they do it to you too???

I thought it meant... Hey Jim... Glad your Back.. See you at the Boom-Boom Room tonight......

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #17940
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 995
On another note...

San Ignacio,

$6.00 tire change, front and rear...

I love this place...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!