Ahhh, BacanoraDisfrutarla
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #17942
motoroberto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShatter View Post
Motoroberto....How did you like Puerto Escondido? I'll be heading down there in January for a two month stay. A good friend of mine just opened a MOTO-FRIENDLY Hostel, 3 blocks from the beach (near the X-Games motocross course). The name of the Hostel is Vivo Escondido. His name is Ross, and he is an avid rider and would certainly welcome any business we could throw his way.

Wow I would have definitely checked his place out had I known about it.
When the wife and I were there it was off season and between events, so very quiet. We only got to visit the main drag briefly because we were staying in Carrizalillo, the inlet just west of town. We rode down from Oaxaca and stayed 3 nights. We were both due some 'do nothing but relax' time so we spent most of it doing just that. I really wish we had more time there. With two months I'm sure you will have a great time. I'll PM you with details of where we stayed.

Brooklyn to Puerto Escondido, MX:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931315
motoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #17943
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I don't know if any of you caught the episode of Car vs Wild on the Discovery channel where the gringo and the Brit ex-special forces guy head up Pico de Orizaba.
That is one episode of a reality show that is total bullsht.
First, it takes them 3 days to get to 4,500 meters. 3 days? You can literally ride to 4,621 meters or drive there in a mini-van from the port of Veracruz easily in less than 4 hours. Period. Ah, but that is on the Sierra Negra, you say! Yes, but you can still ride to one of the climber's shelters at 4,200 meters on Pico de Orizaba on a decent bike in less than 5 hours max. These guys in the show take a bizarre route and check in with the police before heading up.
More bullsht. You only check in with the cops if they stop you near the peak.
Everyone knows that they won't even bother to come looking for you unless someone tells them to or decides to report you missing. I have been stopped by Puebla cops twice outside of Texmaliquilla and they took my name and address but you don't have to check yourself out. Those two times were exceptions, usually there is nobody around. As for checking in on the Coscomatepec side, forget it, nobody gives a damn what you are doing. They briefly tried a registration effort on the Puebla side following two fatal climber falls and one serious injury in a 5 week period. Then they gave up, same as for the user fee that is outlined on some signs but nobody has ever collected.
During the program, these two guys use the Jeep to run straight over young pine trees and tear up the side of the mountain for no good reason. They could have simply used the marked roads and trails. Duh!
If they had permission to access the telescope road, they could have left after breakfast and been home before supper and gone 100 meters higher on the Sierra Negra than there supposed "record smashing" feat on Pico de Orizaba. By the way, the Sierra Negra or Cerro Negro or Tliltepetl is the sister peak of Citlaltepetl aka Pico de Orizaba. It is actually the 4th highest peak but most people consider it part of Pico de Orizaba (it isn't) so it is not recorded as such.
Just a head's up, if you watch that show, watch out for the bullsht they leave behind.
Here is the promo for the show:
"Gary Humphrey, a former British Special Forces soldier, Bill Wu, a California-based car fanatic and problem solver, and Ruby - their beloved 4x4, are back in Car vs. Wild taking themselves, and their trusty motor, to the limit to attempt motoring milestones never before achieved, in the most extreme places in the world. Watch them as they take on Mexico's Sierra Juarez Mountains, 1800m above sea-level, following a native American foot route to a sacred rock platform, the Sky Platform, never reached by car before. Bill & Gary attempt to smash the altitude record and get Ruby to be the highest car ever on the 14,000ft high Pico De Orizaba, Mexico's highest mountain. This volcano has a fearsome reputation as a killer peak- not everyone who goes up this mountain comes down. And the boys head toward a sacred lagoon, never visited by a car before. To get there they must travel up the winding, dangerous rivers of the Los Tuxtla jungle - which some say is protected by spirits. Taking on one river is usually challenge enough, but driving up one will need a new level of skill. With intense moments and boundaries pushed to the limits, they go where no car has ever gone before."

Pico de Orizaba is not 14,000 ft high as they state, second you do not have to navigate the dangerous rivers of the Tuxtlas to get there. The Tuxtlas are a good 250kms south of el Pico!

Mexico is safe, but it needs protection from reality tv!
everybody needs protection from realty tv, try the off switch
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #17944
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
everybody needs protection from realty tv, try the off switch
Hey Bob, heading south in 2014?
I left the tv on and turned off reality by mistake, been on a two decade quest to find the remote, I think it's time I quit looking for it.
Good news, Bob! No more suffering now that the bypass has been opened around Xalapa.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #17945
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey Bob, heading south in 2014?
I left the tv on and turned off reality by mistake, been on a two decade quest to find the remote, I think it's time I quit looking for it.
Good news, Bob! No more suffering now that the bypass has been opened around Xalapa.
Hi Mike,

Did the cross Canada trip in September. Vancouver to Newfoundland and part way back to Southern Ontario. 15000km 45 days. Abandoned the side trip to Elliot Lake due to heavy rain. I'll have to look up your old girlfriends' next time

Definitely heading south in 2014. I've had enough of the rainy BC winters, so I'll be spending 5 months in Tubac Az and of course riding in Mexico.

Is the seal club still open ?
Old 10-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #17946
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Mezquital, DGO

I tried to find a new road that goes from Durango, MX to San Blas on the coast today. Headed out to the town of Mezquital where I found the local gas station closed for business. I wasn't keen on leaving on what could be a 7 hour ride with any less than a full tank. I met a guy, Roberto, who told me a guy a few doors down sold gas out of jerry cans, so after sharing breakfast with him, I headed over there. Something smelled really good just outside a restaurant by the gas station, and I found out it is oregano, which apparently grows really well, and almost wild in these parts. There was a bagging operation right there which paid the locals 12 pesos per kilogram, or a little less than 50 cents per pound. Compare that to the stuff you buy in the spice rack at Whole Foods.

Read more if you care to here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=122
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #17947
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullShatter View Post
Motoroberto....How did you like Puerto Escondido? I'll be heading down there in January for a two month stay. A good friend of mine just opened a MOTO-FRIENDLY Hostel, 3 blocks from the beach (near the X-Games motocross course). The name of the Hostel is Vivo Escondido. His name is Ross, and he is an avid rider and would certainly welcome any business we could throw his way.
This is great info and a great potential resource. A couple months near the beach sounds like just what I need.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #17948
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 856
Question Points of Interest

Seems like every week a new rider is asking about recommended destinations for his first ride through Mexico... Then inmates chime in with the popular tourist destinations. Then other inmates say don't go to the tourist destinations and instead to go small towns and get lost. And guide books don't consider the interests of a motorcycle rider. It's all quite confusing for a first timer headed south of the border. I thought a map with some of the more popular destinations for new riders would be helpful to the community.

I added a few already, where else would you add?

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...U.kLOxzU38tZ08

Old 10-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #17949
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Tampico has a great Centro, plenty of gringo history (scenes from Treasure of the Sierra Madres was shot downtown), and a great beach area at the Playa Miramar that is pretty much unknown to gringos. That's an easy ride once you are at Monterrey, which is also an easy ride as long as it isn't blazing hot.

Also, Tuxpan is an easy extra day south of there. Charming city built on a river that has an ocean/beach tradition.

San Carlos is maybe 200 miles south of Arizona. That's a gringo sailing community, and on the outskirts of Hermosillo.

All of these places are what I would call "easy" places to go to for a novice rider. They are beach resorts. Good food, used to tourists, etc.

And, of course, Mazatlan is wonderful. Once they get the road from Durango to Mazatlan completed, and they are almost there, that should be a 2 day ride from Texas.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #17950
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
ride

Hello,

Two 61 yr old friends since toddlers want to ride from SoCal south thru Tijuana, to LaPaz, ferry to Mazatlan then to CC. Have about 3.5 weeks. Haven't been south of border except a day ride to Ensenada for lunch. Do not know Mexico at all. Both will be riding XT225s unless I take my mighty 95 dr350. Want to ride tar, dirt roads and trails, just not 250 miles of sand whoops. Just be plunking along to see some beaches and of course CC. Want to leave around Nov 10th. This just popped into my friends noodle yesterday. Read many ride reports and they are excellent but a little overwhelming as there seems to be so many routes to go, ALL fun. Our first ride together was in 1968 on Honda 90s to Eugene Ore and back from SoCal. Need to do this before the crutches come into play.
Have reliable bikes, Rotopax, bags, gear. No phone at all.

What do you think???

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #17951
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

Two 61 yr old friends since toddlers want to ride from SoCal south thru Tijuana, to LaPaz, ferry to Mazatlan then to CC. Have about 3.5 weeks. Haven't been south of border except a day ride to Ensenada for lunch. Do not know Mexico at all. Both will be riding XT225s unless I take my mighty 95 dr350. Want to ride tar, dirt roads and trails, just not 250 miles of sand whoops. Just be plunking along to see some beaches and of course CC. Want to leave around Nov 10th. This just popped into my friends noodle yesterday. Read many ride reports and they are excellent but a little overwhelming as there seems to be so many routes to go, ALL fun. Our first ride together was in 1968 on Honda 90s to Eugene Ore and back from SoCal. Need to do this before the crutches come into play.
Have reliable bikes, Rotopax, bags, gear. No phone at all.

What do you think???

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic

Mexican Rt. 1 though Baja is all paved these days as I recall. You probably could ride the dirt roads but the locals would think you were loco.

Cabo is supposed to have beautiful beaches. I can testify that Mazatlan has wonderful beaches.

You will be fine if you take your time.

Have fun!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #17952
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Is the seal club still open ?
Depends on timing, the manager's mood, and the celestial bodies particular alignments. I'll talk to him and bribe him with something shiny or potent.
Will this be an outing on the Asian or the European steed?
Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #17953
Moto Mikey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benny View Post
Seems like every week a new rider is asking about recommended destinations for his first ride through Mexico... Then inmates chime in with the popular tourist destinations. Then other inmates say don't go to the tourist destinations and instead to go small towns and get lost. And guide books don't consider the interests of a motorcycle rider. It's all quite confusing for a first timer headed south of the border. I thought a map with some of the more popular destinations for new riders would be helpful to the community.

I added a few already, where else would you add?

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...U.kLOxzU38tZ08

I'd definitely add Guanajuato, Oaxaca and Palenque to that list. If you're going to add roads too, add HWY175. That was one of my favorites
Moto Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:03 AM   #17954
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

The Misantla-Naolinco and the Tlapacoyan to Teziutlan roads are very good. Teziutlan was incorporated as a city in the mid-16th century city, Naolinco has fantastic food, decent hotels, and low prices on leather goods.
The route from Teziutlan to Tehuipango via La Gloria and the 5 haciendas and a little dog leg section is not to be missed if you are anywhere near the mountain sections of the eastern seaboard.
More people need to ride here. You don't know what you are missing.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #17955
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,374

Our man Turkeycreek, dueńo of Hotel Los Arcos in Banámichi, SON, and his adobe pizza oven he built from scratch.

(sorry for the Tapatalk photo size, it's defaulting to large for some reason)

What a GREAT place! Salma Hayek stayed here.

The motorcycle riding around here is fabulous!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote