User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #18181
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
No Radio

Due to a scheduling conflict I will not be on the air today. Please remember all of our Veterans. Thanks amigos.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #18182
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Due to a scheduling conflict I will not be on the air today. Please remember all of our Veterans. Thanks amigos.
And that leaves us with a chasm of cultural emptiness!
However, there is a remedy. I recommend everyone watch "Hecho en Mexico" which is an amazing documentary that comes very, very close to nailing things as to how Mexico is today. It was made by a gringo and offers a very objective view, something sorely lacking in most media efforts here, today.

The camera work, content, line up, and the wrestling into submission of the 800lb octopus in the room that is 21st century Mexico, is sublime.

It is available in a subtitled version in English. The translation is not too shabby, more accurate than most.

The chapters of "Alma/Soul", "Quien Soy/Who Am I" and "Nana Guadalupe" are very moving. The extra section from the billiards room is also worth paying attention to.

Duncan Bridgeman is the filmmaker, and he has stitched together a modern day version of Alexis de Tocqueville's "Journey to America". He really "gets it" he understands things and lets those whom he is filming, lead you towards a deeper understanding of a country that survives "in spite of".

Amongst the most important points, is one that I have always tried to emphasize, and that is that even atheists believe in the Virgin of Guadalupe here. You'll never know Mexico unless you do so, it's like a lens that lets you see both ways...to examine yourself internally and to place yourself in perspective externally.

Get a copy and go "deep".
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #18183
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
And that leaves us with a chasm of cultural emptiness!
However, there is a remedy. I recommend everyone watch "Hecho en Mexico" which is an amazing documentary that comes very, very close to nailing things as to how Mexico is today. It was made by a gringo and offers a very objective view, something sorely lacking in most media efforts here, today.

The camera work, content, line up, and the wrestling into submission of the 800lb octopus in the room that is 21st century Mexico, is sublime.

It is available in a subtitled version in English. The translation is not too shabby, more accurate than most.

The chapters of "Alma/Soul", "Quien Soy/Who Am I" and "Nana Guadalupe" are very moving. The extra section from the billiards room is also worth paying attention to.

Duncan Bridgeman is the filmmaker, and he has stitched together a modern day version of Alexis de Tocqueville's "Journey to America". He really "gets it" he understands things and lets those whom he is filming, lead you towards a deeper understanding of a country that survives "in spite of".

Amongst the most important points, is one that I have always tried to emphasize, and that is that even atheists believe in the Virgin of Guadalupe here. You'll never know Mexico unless you do so, it's like a lens that lets you see both ways...to examine yourself internally and to place yourself in perspective externally.

Get a copy and go "deep".
Mike

Sounds interesting. Where is it available on line with English subtitles? I see it on YT in Spanish. Thanks

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #18184
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Mike

Sounds interesting. Where is it available on line with English subtitles? I see it on YT in Spanish. Thanks
JM, Netflicks in the USA has both Hecho en Mexico and El Infierno according to a friend of mine. Keep in mind that Hecho is a documentary and El Infierno is a very black comedy but uncannily accurate and also reflects how things are. In fact, the opening scene in the movie Traffic was an uncanny depiction of an actual event that happened, if you are ever down here where I am, I'll take you to La Vibora and tell you the story.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #18185
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524
Happy Veterans Day to all who served. I appreciate my freedom.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #18186
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #18187
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Happy Veterans Day to all who served. I appreciate my freedom.
+1 I feel even more priveleged on this day in particular.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #18188
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Quote:
JM, Netflicks in the USA has both Hecho en Mexico and El Infierno according to a friend of mine. Keep in mind that Hecho is a documentary and El Infierno is a very black comedy but uncannily accurate and also reflects how things are. In fact, the opening scene in the movie Traffic was an uncanny depiction of an actual event that happened, if you are ever down here where I am, I'll take you to La Vibora and tell you the story.
I will check it out MM and see if it is on in Canada but we get a pretty watered version of Netflix up here. It may have to wait until i get down to the US. I sure hope to be able to take you up on that offer of a guided tour. All you guys who either live or have the capacity to live semi nomad existence's in and out of Mexico make me a little envious. With any luck i will get a chance to get into mexico early in the New Year. Until then keep overwhelming me with stories.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #18189
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Nice story for this day...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hundred...422531?cmp=rss

Old 11-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #18190
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
All you guys who either live or have the capacity to live semi nomad existence's in and out of Mexico make me a little envious. With any luck i will get a chance to get into mexico early in the New Year. Until then keep overwhelming me with stories.
Stop in (and stay if you wish) at Casona Tricepilot if you can on your next way down. I'll show you a map with some off-the-beaten path/unusual destination suggestions for 2014/5.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #18191
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Stop in (and stay if you wish) at Casona Tricepilot if you can on your next way down. I'll show you a map with some off-the-beaten path/unusual destination suggestions for 2014/5.
Appreciate the invite Trice. I do hope to take you up on that. The amount of information on this thread can overload the casual observer. I'm not organized enough to record and file all the interesting threads discussed here. I'm sure before my next trip into Mexico i will be posting the usual "Anyone have a recommendation for route…." My place is almost set up in Az(well we have real plates now instead of paper) so back at you on the hospitality when i am down there. PS Just had a message from Mrs Magger. She didn't drink your wine and should send it tomorrow from Scottsdale.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #18192
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Quote:
I think Trice probably had a vest or two like that...and they let him fly planes!

The only vest similar to SR's was the survival vest, which when you think about it, most of the contents of which would probably make a great back-country Sierra Madre motorcycle survival tool.

It didn't take the Air Force too long to figure out I logged more landings than take offs, so I was quick to be sidelined to fly a desk for the majority of my career.

Now Tricewife, she was a jet pilot's pilot.

Happy Veteran's Day - virtually everybody has somebody in their family somewhere who served in the military. Deep respect and admiration to them.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #18193
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Appreciate the invite Trice. I do hope to take you up on that.
I'd like to take you over to Two Brother's BBQ. The new top Q spot here. Forget Harmon's and Texas Pride (where Guy Fieri raved on about in DD&D).

Quote:
PS Just had a message from Mrs Magger. She didn't drink your wine and should send it tomorrow from Scottsdale.
At 0800 tomorrow morning I'm getting a "subtle innuendo" and for that they're giving me a versed and demerol cocktail. At least for about 30 seconds I'll feel like , then I'd much rather they let me drink that bottle of wine, and share it with the nurses, there's one in there that's
Old 11-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #18194
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Quote:
At 0800 tomorrow morning I'm getting a "subtle innuendo" and for that they're giving me a versed and demerol cocktail. At least for about 30 seconds I'll feel like , then I'd much rather they let me drink that bottle of wine, and share it with the nurses, there's one in there that's
For 30 seconds she may appear to be Selma…so if your quick enough..good luck with procedure.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #18195
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
0800 tomorrow morning I'm getting a "subtle innuendo" and for that they're giving me a versed and demerol cocktail. At least for about 30 seconds I'll feel like , then I'd much rather they let me drink that bottle of wine, and share it with the nurses, there's one in there that's
No photos required!

This has been a public service announcement from the Citizens for Much Less Information Please

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk