Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #18211
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
The World Trade Bridge is the commercial traffic only crossing. It's only Semi trucks. Best to cross at one of the two downtown bridges. It's been a while, but I think that the place to turn in the TVIP is right between the 2 downtown bridges. If you are planning on going on to San Antonio or NW, the Colombia bridge is a good option.

I considered going into a rant about not paying mordidas and taking the ticket to the station to pay thereby not contributing to the culture of corruption, which makes life better for everyone else on the road, but I'm too busy this morning.
SR,

Thanks for the reply. I usually cross in downtown but was wondering if there might be a better way. I will have to check out the Colombia bridge.

It was late Sat afternoon. It was obvious what he was wanting to do. He kept saying "ticket" but was not making any effort to write one. I do not speak Spanish and did not want to delay the trip that much. I was speeding so it was a matter of who I paid. May have been the wrong decision but it was the path of least resistance.

Currently in Mazatlan and will be heading back home sometime next week.

Once again, thanks for the response.
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #18212
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,175
Nice video. Thx
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #18213
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Nice video. Thx
Here's your Sonora version Tom:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #18214
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Public Service Announcement

If you're having a party and you're going to serve tacos, or you're just in the middle of Mexico trip planning and you want a quick but delicious lunch or dinner, be sure to add the two miracle ingredients to your taco filling: chopped cilantro and mango. Also great in guacamole.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #18215
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Dust View Post
It was late Sat afternoon. It was obvious what he was wanting to do. He kept saying "ticket" but was not making any effort to write one. I do not speak Spanish and did not want to delay the trip that much. I was speeding so it was a matter of who I paid. May have been the wrong decision but it was the path of least resistance.

Currently in Mazatlan and will be heading back home sometime next week.

Once again, thanks for the response.
I'm nobody's daddy or judge. I've been in situations where they really had me in a bind for time and I broke out the fast cash too. If I have time, I tell them to write me a ticket, let them have my drivers license, and go pay the next day. It feels great to not hand them cash!

They usually ask a bunch of questions about where you are coming and where you are going. This has nothing to do with whether you were speeding or ran a red light. They are trying to figure out if they have you in a crunch for time. It's tough when you are on the road, and they know it!

I've been let off multiple times with no fine or mordida by saying write me a ticket. Obviously they would rather let me go then spend the time writing a ticket that they wont collect on. So don't break out the cash until they actually start writing the ticket. It does help to speak some Spanish in these negotiations!

A few weeks ago I got a ticket in the city. The next day when I went down to the pay Kiosk, the computer system was down and they gave me back my license with no payment at all.

BTW, are you in Maz for that Pata Salada endurance ride?

SR screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 07:00 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #18216
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
The next day when I went down to the pay Kiosk, the computer system was down and they gave me back my license with no payment at all.
Your AirHawk is horseshoe shaped!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #18217
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
De acuerdo, excellent BBQ. Thanks for the rub. We are going to try to recreate this weekend in Mexico. I'm not sure how to ask for a pork butt in Spanish, but we will figure it out.
I believe it is a shoulder roast or a Boston Butt they use it a lot in the Yucatan for Cocinita Pibil. You want it with the bone in.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:03 AM   #18218
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
SR,

I am in Mazatlan for the Pata Salada ride. The certification for the ride is done by the Asphalt Rats Endurance Motorcycling. I am one of the AREM officers here to verify the ride. Finisher's will receive a certificate from the AREM and also a certificate from the IBA.

Also here to help them party. My wife is flying in tomorrow evening.

If you have time to come down, look me up, would like to meet you.
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #18219
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Pork butt

Quote:
De acuerdo, excellent BBQ. Thanks for the rub. We are going to try to recreate this weekend in Mexico. I'm not sure how to ask for a pork butt in Spanish, but we will figure it out.
Just don't ask for a maricon gordo.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:58 AM   #18220
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Tvip deposit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
I've always used a credit card when entering Mexico but I'm considering using cash.

Is the TVIP fee ($44?) the same if you use cash for the guarantee deposit instead of a card?

Are there disadvantages or advantages to using cash?

I'm going next week.
As I recall from last December there is a TVIP fee of around $38? Then there is the refundable deposit. It was around $305 for my GS. Probably should not go expecting to pay $44.

Trice and Jimmex were just down there. What did you guys pay?
Old 11-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #18221
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Clutching Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyb. View Post
Just back from my first ride down into Mexico.

All in all Mexico is rad and I will be back down on the bike soon!
Jimmyb (foreground) and Kevin departing downtown Hidalgo del Parral for points south on their KTMs.

The Tricemobile sits soaking up the morning sun

Favorite times in Mexico are the morning roll-outs. Gear packed, breakfast finished, a pot of caffeine down, bike warmed up.

Each day is a new adventure and the excitement of discovering what lies ahead for that day cannot be matched.

Rolling through town, at the same time navigating, and also taking in the mix of morning smells including bakeries and diesel fuel, and mixing into the way-to-work traffic.

Once the highway out of town is discovered, it's clutch into high gear and a mile wide smile.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #18222
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Favorite times in Mexico are the morning roll-outs. Gear packed, breakfast finished, a pot of caffeine down, bike warmed up.

Each day is a new adventure and the excitement of discovering what lies ahead for that day cannot be matched.

Rolling through town, at the same time navigating, and also taking in the mix of morning smells including bakeries and diesel fuel, and mixing into the way-to-work traffic.

Once the highway out of town is discovered, it's clutch into high gear and a mile wide smile.
Different strokes for different folks, the morning roll-out is celebrated differently down here some times. It can entail being up way before dawn and then heading out before sunrise to the Pemex and then to a meeting point and then riding about an hour or so to a roadside breakfast leña.

Nothing like hand made tortillas over an open fire, a breakfast steak with fresh onions and jalapenos, beans, and fresh salsa or a heaping plate of scrambled eggs with local homemade longaniza sausage or chorizo. Cafe de la olla, maybe spiced if you like it that way. For about half the price of restaurant breakfast.

The route is then chosen and discussed over coffee, hit the head, and then roll on out. That's when the ride really starts, the first part is only the commute to breakfast. You've already done almost a hundred clicks before the sun is really up and you've earned breakfast. Not a bad habit.

Here's a hazy wood smoke shot from the leña on the libre to Xalapa in Cerro Gordo, they've just opened.

How do you find a good leña? Keep your eyes open as you approach or leave small towns, there'll be one or two, and they'll be really good.
Watch for the smoke, that's what separates a leña from a typical comida corrida.

Buen provecho!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #18223
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
As I recall from last December there is a TVIP fee of around $38? Then there is the refundable deposit. It was around $305 for my GS. Probably should not go expecting to pay $44.

Trice and Jimmex were just down there. What did you guys pay?
You guys have the numbers right. I think CWC was just wondering if there was a difference in cost of the TVIP if bonding (based upon age of the bike) by cash or using plastic to do so, and the answer is no. Total cost = TVIP fee + bond amount.

The TVIP is always an FAQ around here, so I keep adding to post #2 to this thread.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #18224
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Many of you will remember back on October 5th when Tom (Turkeycreek) posted up about his get-off upon hitting one of Mexico's traffic speed controllers.

Here for the first time are pics of the aftermath:

The best news is that Tom is relatively unscathed from that biff.

My buddy Milton Otto and others have 3/4 helmets, but as the damage to Tom's helmet shows, you just never know when you're going to drag the face portion of your noggin over gravel.

You can't prevent all accidents, but this is photographic evidence on why I personally will always wear a full-face helmet, and carry Medjet insurance.

I've had my own nasty, gnarly get-off on pavement in México, outside of Guadalajara and before the small burg of Mascota. While I didn't drag my face shield over the tarmac there, I did grind the knuckle armor of my right glove over the road while sliding, and ground it down to the leather.

And I started riding México with crappy little half boots. When I chipped a bone in my ankle in the above mentioned crash, and it swelled up like a grapefruit, I started looking for serious foot/ankle/shin protection.

You can't make México totally safe, but there are some risk management steps you can take to address some of the riding risk exposure.

And I still don't know why Milton wears a 3/4 helmet. I continue to give him grief about it.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #18225
MassiveLee
It's a small world

Oddometer: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Just don't ask for a maricon gordo.
MassiveLee is online now   Reply With Quote