ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #18376
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone
 
Blind Warrior's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: San Clemente, CA
Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I recommend Tom's Hotel Los Arcos de Sonora in Banámichi. Jimmex and I stopped there just a few weeks ago.
+1 on Hotel Los Arcos, and the owners Tom and Lynn. Ask them where Martin's is for some of the finest tacos I have ever had.
__________________
2009 R1200GS, 2007 DRZ400, 1996 XL1200

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #18377
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post


...
As always, there had to be a story, and that is when I noticed the three palm prints, faded, understated, but once seen, not forgotten...



Two large prints that you can make out with the filtered shot and one smaller one very difficult to see...some day I hope I can find a local and find out what happened, just to know, that's all.



...
The texture of the plaster in very interesting. Las manitos are very cool. I'm thinking about having the neighborhood kids do hand prints on the new straw bale house
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #18378
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Almost Southern Oregon
Oddometer: 288
Mexicali to Banamichi

You folks talking about Banamichi and Hotel los Arcos have me thinking of doing a slight reroute at the start of my trip. About how many riding hours is it between the border crossing at Mexicali and Banamichi?
If all goes well I should be there next week at this time on my way South
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #18379
Powershouse
Beastly Adventurer
 
Powershouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Minn-knee-sooo-taaa
Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Make sure Noshoes knows he gets a complimentary "Sonoran Cheerios" breakfast

I brought some home to use as seeds. Forgot about them unroll I was cleaning out my gear one day. My teenage son asked me what they we're and I offered him one. Later he commented that it was wrong for something so small to hurt so bad. ;)
__________________
Wisconsin Rustic Road Century
Powershouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #18380
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
The texture of the plaster in very interesting. Las manitos are very cool. I'm thinking about having the neighborhood kids do hand prints on the new straw bale house
Great idea! That is a very long and old pre-Hispanic tradition, it will be a nice thing to do for the neighborhood. Some day their children will see them and then their children...

PM me if you want some other pics of the surface, I have some with only the surface and the palm prints.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #18381
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post
You folks talking about Banamichi and Hotel los Arcos have me thinking of doing a slight reroute at the start of my trip. About how many riding hours is it between the border crossing at Mexicali and Banamichi?
If all goes well I should be there next week at this time on my way South
SD, it is a haul Google pegs it at 414 mi, 8 hours 26 mins with most of that via México 2 which is a quota/toll road. It is high desert.
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #18382
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 1,209
Stormdog , since 8.5 hours riding time from Mexicali to Banamichi
is really too much to expect for one riding day in comfort the
simple solution is to spread the ride over TWO days with an
overnight hotel in Sonoyta or Caborca , both good.
That way you can ride relaxed with attention to the road and
scenery. And no need to rush for the toll route which takes a
more northern path than the old free road.
It is a vacation trip after all ? Either route will get you to Santa Ana and Magdalena
where you get on the state roads to
Banamichi
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #18383
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Almost Southern Oregon
Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Stormdog , since 8.5 hours riding time from Mexicali to Banamichi
is really too much to expect for one riding day in comfort the
simple solution is to spread the ride over TWO days with an
overnight hotel in Sonoyta or Caborca , both good.
That way you can ride relaxed with attention to the road and
scenery. And no need to rush for the toll route which takes a
more northern path than the old free road.
It is a vacation trip after all ? Either route will get you to Santa Ana and Magdalena
where you get on the state roads to
Banamichi
Sjoerd
I do not mind the 8.5 hour ride but I doubt I will be crossing the border till 10 am ish and breaking out of Mexicali is somewhat time consuming. Caborca or magdelana were my planned stopping points for the first night anyway so I think I will stick with plan "A" Just the talk of Banamichi got me rethinking my plan.
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:37 PM   #18384
motoroberto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
motoroberto's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Fooklyn NYC
Oddometer: 131
So after 3 weeks I have finally finished my ride report.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931315

Thanks to MikeMike, Sjoerd, SchizzMan and Tricepilot and anybody else I forgot who gave me helpful information before and during my trip.

Is Mexico safe? Fuck me if I know, but I had no problems. I think if you want full guaranteed assurance that your trip will be perfect or reimbursed if not, fly to an all-inclusive and hang out with the rest of the chicharrones.

If not, enjoy your adventure!
__________________
'07 KTM ADV 990
'73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Brooklyn to Puerto Escondido, MX:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931315
motoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #18385
TheBlurr
Banned
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 5,588
Time frame

So I May just tell my Boss to take this job and shove it next week and try to make Mexico City from Las Vegas and back before Christmas.
So I will have three weeks total.
I would like to spend a few days in Mexico City as I do have a couple friends there.
Am I cutting myself to short? I was thinking of averaging around 300 miles a day, a quick google shows it roughly 2000 miles one way depending on route.
And what route would be the safest/most scenic and or historic

thanks

Edit
Have passport, done a bit of international travel so I am aware of basic precautions, plus I look like shrek so villagers either will want to feed me, or have the torches and pitchforks ;)
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #18386
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 4,042
Mexico DF is one of the worst places to ride a bike unless you are working for a pharmacy or a pizzeria. Or you can follow someone who has it wired. But you'll get tired of the traffic.
There are about 999,999,999 better destinations in Mexico.
Tell your friends to meet you in Oaxaca.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #18387
going south
hero & Zero...
 
going south's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Alaska, Mazatlan. sometimes seattle!
Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
There are about 999,999,999 better destinations in Mexico.

Well if thats true... then I better order up a new set of tires and get busy....

__________________
going south...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #18388
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer
 
rockymountainoyster's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Back in the San Juan Mountains
Oddometer: 981
Montana>DF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
So I May just tell my Boss to take this job and shove it next week and try to make Mexico City from Las Vegas and back before Christmas.
So I will have three weeks total.
I would like to spend a few days in Mexico City as I do have a couple friends there.
Am I cutting myself to short? I was thinking of averaging around 300 miles a day, a quick google shows it roughly 2000 miles one way depending on route.
And what route would be the safest/most scenic and or historic

thanks

Edit
Have passport, done a bit of international travel so I am aware of basic precautions, plus I look like shrek so villagers either will want to feed me, or have the torches and pitchforks ;)
Getting to the border this time of year will be a major challenge. Days short, weather unpredictable and at the least damn cold. There are those who would disagree with me but 300 mi/day is a bit ambitious if you want to do much other than ride your moto and have a very superficial experience of the place. Riding tired and pressed for time in MX not the best idea. Remember rule #1: Don't Ride at Night. This rule is not for sissies, it is for survivors. Mexico City is very difficult. Great place to ride in taxis.
__________________
The Way South http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=849812
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #18389
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Mexico DF is one of the worst places to ride a bike unless you are working for a pharmacy or a pizzeria. Or you can follow someone who has it wired. But you'll get tired of the traffic.
There are about 999,999,999 better destinations in Mexico.
Tell your friends to meet you in Oaxaca.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Getting to the border this time of year will be a major challenge. Days short, weather unpredictable and at the least damn cold. There are those who would disagree with me but 300 mi/day is a bit ambitious if you want to do much other than ride your moto and have a very superficial experience of the place. Riding tired and pressed for time in MX not the best idea. Remember rule #1: Don't Ride at Night. This rule is not for sissies, it is for survivors. Mexico City is very difficult. Great place to ride in taxis.
True. Mexico City is a tough town to ride around in. One wrong turn can cost you big in time. But it can also be a hoot and a holler of a place to hooligan around on a bike. Especially if you have a good bike for it and a general sense of the town's layout. And an airhorn.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #18390
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Stormdog , since 8.5 hours riding time from Mexicali to Banamichi
is really too much to expect for one riding day in comfort the
simple solution is to spread the ride over TWO days with an
overnight hotel in Sonoyta or Caborca , both good.
That way you can ride relaxed with attention to the road and
scenery. And no need to rush for the toll route which takes a
more northern path than the old free road.
It is a vacation trip after all ? Either route will get you to Santa Ana and Magdalena
where you get on the state roads to
Banamichi
or take the coastal road and check out Puerto Penasco for a day or 2.
then there looks like a sweet paved road from magdalena to sinoquipe along the rio sonora.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014