Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #18421
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
+many on this. It has a post apocalyptic feel. Or maybe the set in From Dusk to Dawn. It is definitely the graveyard of many dreams.
My kind of place.

"All of which falls into the many folds of Mexico, like nuggets of eluvial gold, is to be sought out and treasured."
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #18422
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Puerto Penasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
my kind of place.

"all of which falls into the many folds of mexico, like nuggets of eluvial gold, is to be sought out and treasured."
not!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #18423
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
not!
Oh c'mon! There are some real gems, the armpits of armpits, little towns with so much...who knows what...but they've got a lot of it!

Eluvial, I thought the word would give SR a smile, as opposed to aluvial which would see him getting his feet wet!
Old 11-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #18424
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
Or maybe the set in From Dusk to Dawn. ....
The movie has it's merits.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #18425
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
got a name or location of a key gated garage in Toluca?

if you pay for a 1 day turibus do you get access to both centro and sur lines for that 1 price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
or as is said here in Mx

DF = DeFecados

It really worths to visit DF but without a bike. take the Turibus, http://www.turibus.com.mx/ it has different interesting routes, you can go off and on from the bus the whole day at any interesting point you like and pickup another turibus at no additional cost, etc.
is the faster way to know the essentials. So leave the bike in Toluca in a gated garage, take a bus to DF, stay for three days to know the must, go back and keep on riding.
do not miss downtown, once there you will understand why was batized as "La Ciudad de Los Palacios" back in XIX century.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 01:12 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #18426
eakins
Butler Maps

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoroberto View Post
"someone has to know a key hotel that is easy to get to & right at the end of the subway lines? you then can stay for a day or 2 and ride the subway in to the centro. or is that insanity too?

ideally you stay at the end of the blue line, but a line that bisects it would also work."

I stayed at the Ramada Via Veneto which is across the street from the Ermita stop on the blue line. I believe it's on the border of Benito Juarez/Coyoacan. It's 9 stops from the Zocalo.

Also was walking distance to the Churubusco museum and Frida Kahlo's house. They have a small parking lot that always has an armed guard.
Butler Maps website:
Old 11-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #18427
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,697
Official info

Lot´s of info in this site, I agree on visiting the city using public transport a tourist taxi service can be arranged at many hotels but it is $$$$$$.
To get on with your route arrive to and leave the the city very early

http://www.mexicocity.gob.mx/
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #18428
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVIGATOR View Post
A tourist taxi service can be arranged at many hotels but it is $$$$$$.
Well, the point is, don't use a "tourist taxi service"

Find Mr. Mom and Pop taxi guy and/or a collectivo used by Average José.

This might mean bypassing the well-meaning but also well-connected guy at the front desk.

(For safety reasons sometimes taking a taxi arranged for by the hotel is the way to go for short jaunts)

Always agree on a price (with taxis) before you get in or at least drive away.

Collectivo prices are commonly posted.

Strike out on your own (using safety and common sense protocols), then you can chop 4 or 5 $$$$ signs from your quote above
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #18429
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
+1

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #18430
eakins
Butler Maps

i'd say the key is to know your spanish and ask for a collectivo not a private taxi. even then i've asked other people working at the hotel for one to find what the locals use. for short rides yes a taxi is key and cheap. we would ride all over Guanajuato for a few bucks in a taxi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Well, the point is, don't use a "tourist taxi service"

Find Mr. Mom and Pop taxi guy and/or a collectivo used by Average José.

This might mean bypassing the well-meaning but also well-connected guy at the front desk.

(For safety reasons sometimes taking a taxi arranged for by the hotel is the way to go for short jaunts)

Always agree on a price (with taxis) before you get in or at least drive away.

Collectivo prices are commonly posted.

Strike out on your own (using safety and common sense protocols), then you can chop 4 or 5 $$$$ signs from your quote above
Butler Maps website:
Old 11-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #18431
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
We have established that everyone's idea of a motorcycle trip is different. If a person is strictly into riding, don't go anywhere near Mexico DF. Stay in the rural mountain roads.

If you want to see Mexican culture, then riding past DF is like going to the US from another country and driving right past Washington DC and New York city. OMO, if you want to see DF, pull your skirt up, get a reservation at a decent hotel right downtown like the Holiday Inn that Jimmex mentioned, ride in, park the bike and go see the Zocalo, Cathedral, Palacio de Bellas Artes, castle at Chapultapec, Zona Rosa, maybe the Basilica de Guadalupe Victoria or the big Mercado. Once you get down town and settled in, it is interesting to walk around and see the spectacle.

I've been to DF a few times and got it out of my system. Now I would just as soon ride past it, but I am glad I've been there.

SR screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 02:11 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #18432
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,420
I still go there looking for Tenochtitlán

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #18433
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Eakins , if you really REALLY want to visit in Mexico city I would recommend HotelMontecarlo at Av Republica de Urugauy , only two blocks southwest from the Zocalo . Nice older hotel with great secure parking garage and very good economic rates and super easy to locate .Ya'd be amazed at how little you need to spend for a comfortable stay in the very heart of the historic center within walking distance of all kinds of stuff. Leave the bike parked there and spend days riding around on the subway if that is what you like to do.
Don't know why anybody would hotel in Toluca in order to take the commuter trains or bus to the DF .
But if that is your gameplan there are also huge inexpensive hotels in Toluca which would gladly rent you a great room and then also permit you to leave the bike in their gated secure garage area for your daily visits to the DF . Check out Hotel Miled, they have about 5 great BIG properties scattered around Toluca.Stayed at their hotel on Av M Hidalgo (at start of Passeo Tollocan and on south side of railroad to DF) in the east end of city 7 months ago ( how time flies) and found it to be a bargain.Should be easy enough to get to the RR station or bus depot
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #18434
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Don't know why anybody would hotel in Toluca...

So they can breathe in January, February, and March?
Old 11-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #18435
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
We have established that everyone's idea of a motorcycle trip is different. If a person is strictly into riding, don't go anywhere near Mexico DF. Stay in the rural mountain roads.

If you want to see Mexican culture, then riding past DF is like going to the US from another country and driving right past Washington DC and New York city. OMO ,if you want to see DF, pull your shirt up, get a reservation at a decent hotel right downtown like the Holiday Inn that Jimmex mentioned ride in. Park the bike and go see the Zocalo, Cathedral, Palacio de Bellas Artes, castle at Chapultapec, Zona Rosa, maybe the Basilica de Guadalupe Victoria or the big Mercado. Once you get down town and settled in, it is interesting to walk around and see the spectacle.

I've been to DF a few times and got it out of my system. Now I would just as soon ride past it, but I am glad I've been there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Eakins , if you really REALLY want to visit in Mexico city I would recommend HotelMontecarlo at Av Republica de Urugauy , only two blocks southwest from the Zocalo . Nice older hotel with great secure parking garage and very good economic rates and super easy to locate .Ya'd be amazed at how little you need to spend for a comfortable stay in the very heart of the historic center within walking distance of all kinds of stuff. Leave the bike parked there and spend days riding around on the subway if that is what you like to do.
Don't know why anybody would hotel in Toluca in order to take the commuter trains or bus to the DF .
But if that is your gameplan there are also huge inexpensive hotels in Toluca which would gladly rent you a great room and then also permit you to leave the bike in their gated secure garage area for your daily visits to the DF . Check out Hotel Miled, they have about 5 great BIG properties scattered around Toluca.Stayed at their hotel on Av M Hidalgo (at start of Passeo Tollocan and on south side of railroad to DF) in the east end of city 7 months ago ( how time flies) and found it to be a bargain.Should be easy enough to get to the RR station or bus depot
These two posts nail it for me. And you can spend 2-3 days just walking El Centro without paying anyone to haul you around. But there's plenty of cheap transportation available. The City runs on it.

And there is some incredible riding available in/around Mexico City even if dancing with cages ain't your thing. The most surreal riding experience available in all of Mexico, IMO, is Mexico City during Semana Santa. You'll see far more open pavement than traffic as The City pretty well clears out for the holiday. After spending the day hooliganning around town exploring the sites and sampling the taquerias tuck into bed with a glass of Reposado and enjoy the Omega Man DVD you packed down. Good times.

Any other time of year you can get in/out of The City without too much trouble by simply timing it right. It just requires a certain grade of chill.

I'll check out Sjoerd's hotel recommendation next time. Sounds good.

Dang, I think I've talked myself into making a return trip this Spring.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote