Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #18481
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
Somewhere there should be a TVIP sticky.

I learned something new about TVIP's recently, at least new to me. I was travelling with someone who had recently purchased a bike from a dealer and only had a temporary California registration for the bike. According to the Aduanero at the border, the bike was not eligible for entry into Mexico under the "No Hassle" rules for the tourist zone because the registration was temporary. However, he said we could get a TVIP from Banjercito as long as he could show proof of insurance. He had a temporary Mexican Insurance policy which he used to get the TVIP, after which the Aduanero let the bike cross into Mexico. YMMV.
It would be interesting to know at what crossing this occurred.

Given this was a California temporary plated bike, was this a crossing into Baja or the Sonora Free Zone with a need for a TVIP later?

Never once heard of any border official connecting the rider being able to produce proof of insurance so that he, the official, will give a green light for a TVIP. Might be a tweak I've never heard of.

Or a border official being "officious"

Related stories:

Earlier this year

More
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #18482
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
From time to time I add TVIP related answers to FAQs to post #2 to this thread.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #18483
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 855
Quote:

I learned something new about TVIP's recently, at least new to me. I was travelling with someone who had recently purchased a bike from a dealer and only had a temporary California registration for the bike. According to the Aduanero at the border, the bike was not eligible for entry into Mexico under the "No Hassle" rules for the tourist zone because the registration was temporary. However, he said we could get a TVIP from Banjercito as long as he could show proof of insurance. He had a temporary Mexican Insurance policy which he used to get the TVIP, after which the Aduanero let the bike cross into Mexico. YMMV.
You started telling me about this when you guys were here but I must have been pulled away. Perhaps he accepted the insurance as a 2nd proof of ownership to augment the temp tag.

I have crossed into Sonora with temp tags, into the free zone with no issues and several times without even stopping at the border or the down line checkpoint.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #18484
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,620
On at least three occasions the Banjercito chica has asked for my Tx insurance voucher to cross-check ID and VIN. Twice at Allende and once at Colombia. Was also asked to show my Tx voucher at the Ojinaga border crossing even though neither TVIP nor visa were involved. That was during the Around The Bend rally a couple years ago. Or so.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #18485
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Can anyone recommend the safest route through Argentina? I want to get through as fast as I can!
East to West is a little faster.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #18486
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:

TVIP and Insurance are like two ships passing in the night.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #18487
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Look!

A container ship!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 11-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #18488
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
TVIP and Insurance are like two ships passing in the night.
As are customs and immigration
Old 11-25-2013, 12:33 PM   #18489
Purch23
Dirtbiker

Oddometer: 168
I traveled by myself from the east coast to ride Baja. Never had one instance of trouble. Going again this March although a buddy wants to come along this time.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #18490
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Starting next year all states will require vehicle insurance. They may have asked for proof of insurance with the TVIP under the logic that the TVIP will be good into next year, which includes a period where insurance will be required?

Many states in Mexico, especially those up north already require vehicle insurance.

Mandatory vehicle insurance is a good thing for those of us who already buy insurance. Like all rules in Mexico, enforcement likely won't be too stringent, but theoretically it should help out with rates. It might also get some of these clowns off the road who really shouldn't be driving, because the can't afford to crash.

SR screwed with this post 11-25-2013 at 02:47 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #18491
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
It would be interesting to know at what crossing this occurred.

Given this was a California temporary plated bike, was this a crossing into Baja or the Sonora Free Zone with a need for a TVIP later?

Never once heard of any border official connecting the rider being able to produce proof of insurance so that he, the official, will give a green light for a TVIP. Might be a tweak I've never heard of.

Or a border official being "officious"

Related stories:

Earlier this year

More
The crossing was at Naco. Six of us arrived at the border and were waved over by the Aduanero into the secondary inspection. He would not let the bike with the temporary registration cross into Mexico, but he was kind enough to tell us that we might be able to get a TVIP from Banjercito. Luckily this was a Saturday, as the Banjercito in Naco is only open on Saturday and Sunday. At the Banjercito the clerk only asked for insurance paperwork on the bike with the temporary registration, and not for the other five.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #18492
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Starting next year all states will require vehicle insurance. They may have asked for proof of insurance with the TVIP under the logic that the TVIP will be good into next year, which includes a period where insurance will be required?

Many states in Mexico, especially those up north already require vehicle insurance.

Mandatory vehicle insurance is a good thing for those of us who already buy insurance. Like all rules in Mexico, enforcement will likely won't be too stringent, but theoretically it should help out with rates. It might also get some of these clowns off the road who really shouldn't be driving, because the can't afford to crash.
It hasn't gotten them off the road in the US.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #18493
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Now here is something I thought I would never see.

http://twobytwowheels.com/

Guaterider gave me the heads up on this, thought I would share it.
Interesting, and in Argentina of all places.
Don't forget these stories from Ireland:

RTW Motorcycle Stolen in Dublin

Noah's KTM 690 Stolen in Dublin

XR650 Stolen in Dublin ('08)
Old 11-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #18494
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
A fellow Dubliner just told me the following joke this morning:

What do Batman and a Dubliner have in common? They both can't go into a shop without Robin'.

Ireland is a good example of the kind of property crime you get with total gun control.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #18495
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
I've been asked for my Tx voucher going back several years and, rightly or wrongly, I associate it with ID confirmation since my passport & DL have my full name and my reg and CC have my initials. My Tx voucher is otherwise useless in Mexico, anyway.