Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #18781
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Brave souls in Mexico or those headin' down that way: watch out for bandidos that glow in the dark!
Old 12-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #18782
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
I know you guys love your big GS and GSAs, that's why it' fun to tease you about them. I rented one for a weekend and we never really bonded, but if I had to deal with Texas sized slab, I'd seriously take another look.

I really like riding with you guys on the big BMWs and watching the suspension work, they are amazing machines, just a little porky (err a big boned) IMO.

I never ride 2 up and don't do too much slab, so a smaller bike works fine for me. But I can't tell a lie, it's not a good feeling flogging the little wee as hard as I can and still getting left in the dust by a liter bike.

Have a good weekend Ya'll. Who's going riding?
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #18783
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I can't tell a lie, it's not a good feeling flogging the little wee
OK, there's so much that can be done with this I don't know where to start.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #18784
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
Brave souls in Mexico or those headin' down that way: watch out for bandidos that glow in the dark!
I read where they're all in a hospital in Pachuca losing their hair and a lot.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #18785
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
OK, there's so much that can be done with this I don't know where to start.
I set it up for you like a wiffle ball on a T!
Old 12-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #18786
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
SR, c'mon now and be honest. You and I both know the real fun is convincing those wrestling and suffering with the little understood but often studied "der Kaiser" complex to follow you.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #18787
SR
Beastly Adventurer

From what I have seen riding with good BMW GS riders (you know who you are), the Wee actually rides a little faster only extremely tight sections of curves, on tight curves the bikes are about even. When the curves open up the GS walks away and on the flats and inclined sections the GS runs away. The Wee tops out around 100 mph whereas the GS will do 115+, so you really need to be moving fast down the highway before the cruising speed is an issue. The Wee has crappy suspension but it is so incredibly nimble with an amazingly smooth revving engine. I love mine.

I don't know about the GS off road, it seems like no one ever wants to try taking them off road. The Wee sucks off road, flexing and twisting and constantly scraping bottom and bottoming out. The good news is that with the money I saved buying a Wee instead of a GS, I bought a brand new dirt bike, so off road is not an issue

SR screwed with this post 12-07-2013 at 08:16 AM
Old 12-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #18788
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,691
I enjoy mine off-road but unless I know the route, I'm reluctant to go into an area that I'm unsure I can make it through. For moderately rough dirt roads the GSA is a lot of fun because the engine and suspension work so well. (I have Wilbers shocks) Down in Mexico, you don't want to take unnecessary risks with a big bike IMO, because the consequences are so severe. I couldn't imagine, for instance, trying to get the GSA through the route we rode from El Salto to Mazatlan. That's what the EXC is for.
All this moto talk is making me want to go riding. Its currently 20f here...
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #18789
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,640
lol. I think I'll just stay on the sidelines for this one. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #18790
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I couldn't imagine, for instance, trying to get the GSA through the route we rode from El Salto to Mazatlan. That's what the EXC is for.
I remember for a short time, you were ruminating about taking the GSA on this past summer's Durango to Mazatlán ATV Ruta.

You talked yourself out of it, or maybe SR did.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #18791
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
SR: "The Wee sucks off road, flexing and twisting and constantly scraping bottom and bottoming out."

Here's a V (not a Wee) high centered on a palm stump down in Guatemala. Had to grab the pic quick before going over to help.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #18792
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I remember for a short time, you were ruminating about taking the GSA on this past summer's Durango to Mazatlán ATV Ruta.

You talked yourself out of it, or maybe SR did.
After seeing the pics of JDowns little 250 Sherpa being man-handled down in Columbia this week, I'm wondering if my DRZ is too big for some of this stuff.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #18793
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
After seeing the pics of JDowns little 250 Sherpa being man-handled down in Columbia this week, I'm wondering if my DRZ is too big for some of this stuff.
Too big? I doubt it. I think a DRZ is great off-road in the gnarliest of stuff. But I understand reading John's report the current Super Sherpa mania.

I got DRZ baptized this summer when I rode SR's DRZ on the aforementioned DGO to MAZ run and it was the almost perfect bike for it. Only tweak I could have used would be bar risers to fit me.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #18794
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Laugh BMW Boxers

Quote:
My hog ('11GSA) has hauled me and my GF over Ophir Pass, Cinnamon Pass, and Owl Creek Pass then back to Texas in relative comfort. Pulls like a tractor and keeps its line better than you would expect. If I had to have just one bike, hands down it would be the GSA. Pretty is as pretty does.
I remember hearing of a few highly justified white knuckles coming over Ophir Pass. Don't know Cinnamon, Owl Creek is a must ride. One of the places I haven't fallen yet.

Y'all notice that Helge's bike doesn't habe a tank bag?

Pisses me off that BMW continues to release products that are not fully thought through. Never trusted the brake and clutch reservoirs sticking up on the bars on the 1200 when they had a perfectly good and seemingly bullet proof design on the 1150. For the price of the mofos and the number of experienced riders I would think they would do better from the get. Is it typical German (especially BMW, and it goes for the cars too) arrogance that they don't listen to the people who ride the suckers. FD is just not excusable. It is supposed to be a ready to go dual sport off of the showroom floor. Do they get a big slice of Touratech's action?

There are guys that ride GS's like a dirt bike. I am in awe but I am clearly not one of them. Jim Hyde's crew throws those things around like they were enduro bikes.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #18795
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
All this moto talk is making me want to go riding. Its currently 20f here...
Heading out tomorrow on the WR with Miguel, Alex and Hector. Some 4 wheeler guys said that a route we used to do a few years ago is all washed out and too gnarley get through now, un-passable! Miguel felt that we owe it to ourselves as Adventurers to do an independent assessment of the condition of said route

I just switched the front sprocket from a 14 to a 12 and reprogrammed the FI for low end response. Lets see what happens!