Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #18901
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post

Does anyone living in mexico know of any cool festivals or parties going on within a day's drive of Leon/SMA and Guanajuato between December 23rd and January 2nd? We will be all around that area with day trips and visiting cities and people. I've heard Christmas down there is a blast and we are looking forward to experiencing the local flavor. You guys that live down there seem to have more knowledge with these things. What is the word on the street?
SILAO, a 15 min drive southE from Leon. Daily festivity, one sector of the town per day, starts Dec 15, ends Dec 31.
All houses on the colonia of given day offers free dinner, free drinks, all streets are closed, no cars allowed, every one is walking. No matter if you don't know anybody there or if they dont' know you, just walk by the side walks and you'll get invited inside for ponche, pozole, tamales, you name it.
The festivity is called "Los Barrios", Barrio means a sector of the town - or city. I used to live there for few years many years ago.
They are not "Posadas" Posadas are another daily festivity running paralel to "Los Barrios"

Same thing for Irapuato and Guanajuato (here they call the festivity "Iluminaciones" enlighting), although since they are bigger cities, the tradition is getting lost and people are less willing to invite unknowns.

Silao has pretty decent hotels in case you wanna try.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 12-12-2013 at 07:46 PM
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #18902
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Speaking of festivities, what are the details behind the torch relays? Do the they run around the clock? Do they run just one direction? Are there any "rules" so to speak? I must have past hundreds in the last week and every one of them had the same car alarm type siren.
Also why is it that every town fires off rockets and rings their church bells starting at five AM but you can't find a cup of coffee or breakfast until eight? I am traveling solo what am I supposed to do wide awake with three hours too kill
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #18903
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormdog View Post
Speaking of festivities, what are the details behind the torch relays? Do the they run around the clock? Do they run just one direction? Are there any "rules" so to speak? I must have past hundreds in the last week and every one of them had the same car alarm type siren.
Also why is it that every town fires off rockets and rings their church bells starting at five AM but you can't find a cup of coffee or breakfast until eight? I am traveling solo what am I supposed to do wide awake with three hours too kill
You really have to ask ?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #18904
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Up at 5am, give yourself the "Triple S Treatment" while checking the weather on the net. Out of the garage and on the road at 6am, stop at the first OXXO for a Red Bull and stop at the leña for a breakfast steak with onions and jalapeños and homemade tortillas at 7am. Cafe de la olla is ready by the time you finish the last bite of steak.

Do this with good people, do it often, it is one of the keys to the universe!

Local rider knowledge: Don't wait for breakfast to come to you, go and get it yourself!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #18905
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Luz y Fuerza

Time to say Merry Christmas to all you FF'ers and merry gentlemen!

The now restored cathedral in downtown Veracruz last Monday.

All the best in 2014! Happy Holidays!

I think Trice will like this one...

Old 12-13-2013, 06:00 AM   #18906
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,412
Trice does like that one
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #18907
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Gracias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
SILAO, a 15 min drive southE from Leon. Daily festivity, one sector of the town per day, starts Dec 15, ends Dec 31.
All houses on the colonia of given day offers free dinner, free drinks, all streets are closed, no cars allowed, every one is walking. No matter if you don't know anybody there or if they dont' know you, just walk by the side walks and you'll get invited inside for ponche, pozole, tamales, you name it.
The festivity is called "Los Barrios", Barrio means a sector of the town - or city. I used to live there for few years many years ago.
They are not "Posadas" Posadas are another daily festivity running paralel to "Los Barrios"

Same thing for Irapuato and Guanajuato (here they call the festivity "Iluminaciones" enlighting), although since they are bigger cities, the tradition is getting lost and people are less willing to invite unknowns.

Silao has pretty decent hotels in case you wanna try.
That sounds perfect. We are staying in Leon with my brother's inlaws so we have a place to stay. I never thought about Silao. It's where the airport is...but I never thought to go check it out. I'm excited to check out Leon too. My son and I were there for two weeks this summer and never actually went to any cool spots in Leon...even though we were staying there. We used it as a base and did day trips on the bikes...We plan to do some slow exploring and the Barrio festivals sound like exactly what we would like to see Gracias...esa es la información que quería!
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #18908
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:

Those are religious processions or pilgrimages. They start around the 1st of December and culminate Yesterday, on the 12th of December, which is the Dia De La Virgin de Guadalupe.

SR screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 08:56 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #18909
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,640
Near Silao at the shrine of Cristo Rey statue will be the Cabalgata, pilgrimage on horseback sometime around the first week of January. Calles bombed the first statue of Cristo Rey back in the 20's, some interesting history there for the history buffs.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #18910
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Those are religious processions or pilgrimages. They start around the 1st of December and culminate Yesterday, on the 12th of December, which is the Dia De La Virgin de Guadalupe.
Speaking of Guadalupe , I'm working on a route that runs South of
Guachochi > Guadalupe Y Calvo > to or West of Guanacevi >
Santiago Papasquiaro > Durango > and wherever else.

Of course I'll have to get to Guachochi and will most go likely through
Banamichi ( to get my bottle filled ) > Yacora > Basaseachi > Creel > Guachochi.

Anyone ridden the Guachochi to Guanacevi part of this.

Happy Solstice , Max
Old 12-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #18911
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT View Post
Of course I'll have to get to Guachochi and will most go likely through
Banamichi ( to get my bottle filled ) > Yacora > Basaseachi > Creel > Guachochi.
The route Jim and I did included that exact segment, but we just tapped Tom's big jug, didn't fill any bottles
Old 12-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #18912
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
BINGO43,

If you go to Silao, try one sunday after 7 or 8 pm. Go to the main square garden with the kiosko in the center. And watch, there is a ritual that I believe is still on going. All the single ladies walks in packs around the garden, the single boys walks around as well but in oposite way. They are around and around, spoting a girl they like, and throw a smile to her. The girl may or not smile back. So if the boy really likes one girl, this ritual may last for several sundays until the girl smiles back and holds for seconds the boy's eye contact. This is the sign for the boy that she will accept for a walk with him awaye from her friends, and later become his girlfriend.

you would think.... why it takes too long? better go and ask her out the first time you see her.... big mistake, 95% probabilities you better look for another candidate one. (speaks the voice of the experience here ON TWICE FAILURE, I was young and a higschool boy with no girl..)

there is another festivity in Silao called "Combate de las Flores" (Flowers' Combat) I believe is in October or November. This takes place at the antique train station, everyone is riding on pickup trucks, with girls and boys riding on the back of the truck, (there are also girls and boys walking on the sidewalk around as well, not only trucks) going around and around of the train station, everyone carries a bucket of roses, if you spot a girl you like it, jump out of the truck and go to the lady you liked and hand her a rose, she will take it or may be not, or smile or not. the key here is that she gets you one of her roses back to you, right there. If you get a rose, Sucess!! you will have a girlfriend!. Of course this is a singles festivity as well.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 12:00 PM
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #18913
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oye, Arte! Hay problemas muy, pero muy, graves con seguridad aqui en Veracru...(z)!

I had to hire a private security company. I screened a few and this one seemed to be the best.

It's called "La Doña Iguana Seguridad Privada SA de CV".

They are noted for their discretion and lack of being distracted by watching Televisa telenovelas or cel phone texting. I interviewed another one named "Tarantulas En Calsones de Rateros" but they couldn't give me a receipt for the IVA. Plus they kind of freaked me out a little.

I do like this one though, they just blend right in...nice uniforms!

The afternoon shift now hard at work.

Say hello to my little friend...

First try at wildlife photography other than drunken ADV nudie pics at the Seal Club.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #18914
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^ Looks like the new Boise State uniforms
Old 12-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #18915
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
......other than drunken ADV nudie pics at the Seal Club.
We always enjoy your selfies, don't worry about it