Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #19096
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
On my list of words never to use in Mexico.
Don't say pilas in a tiangue, either.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #19097
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
Toluca....where I sit now.

Toluca.......Oaxaca?
Glad you're having a great time. Epiphany stories like yours are fun.

Oaxaca without a doubt. Don't be in a hurry to leave. There's lots to do in the environs around that town too.

Then cherry on the cake it by making the twistie run to one (or more) of the southern Oaxacan beaches.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #19098
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
On my list of words never to use in Mexico.
I would advise that it would represent more risk to use the word "Madre".

that word fluctuates very easy from safe to risk threshold if not utilized in the apropiate tone, sentence, right people, etc...

while Cabron depends on to who and how, sometimes is a compliment, others means offensive but still taken as compliment... hard to explain.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #19099
Lilbloody
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Will you be using a GPS? I can give you coords for any particular site for either GPS or Google Maps, etc.
Yup - definitely using a GPS to whatever degree it's useful. Sounds like rt 20 is not to be missed then.

A question about topes (I'm assuming a road like this will have lots of 'em).. are they visible from any kind of distance and is it possible to go around them, generally speaking? My understanding is that they are square, and I've gotten a look at some - (cough) - compelling video footage of a guy high-siding rather dramatically after hitting one at speed...

Cheers,
Heather
Lilbloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #19100
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbloody View Post
Yup - definitely using a GPS to whatever degree it's useful. Sounds like rt 20 is not to be missed then.

A question about topes (I'm assuming a road like this will have lots of 'em).. are they visible from any kind of distance and is it possible to go around them, generally speaking? My understanding is that they are square, and I've gotten a look at some - (cough) - compelling video footage of a guy high-siding rather dramatically after hitting one at speed...

Cheers,
Heather

Topes!!

They come in all shapes and sizes. Most are marked by a sign, some are not. Many are painted, many are not. Sometimes the road is painted for topes but there are none. Sometimes you can get around them or through a gap, most times you can't. Sometimes they make perfect sense, other times no sense at all. There are some definable patterns for locating topes which differs in cities vs. towns, but you can't completely rely on this. You'll learn the patterns and begin anticipating topes your first day or so.

Topes, IMO, are the single greatest reason for riding Mexico on a Dual Sport bike with a lot of suspension travel and why the GSA excels there. Your bike will do fine but cast wheels and less suspension travel means taking greater care. But damaging bikes or crashing is not a common thing among Mexico riders as far as I can tell so don't let it worry you. Just be vigilant, that's all.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 12-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #19101
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
While we are giving spanish lessons, let's discuss the use of the word "pedo."

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
Old 12-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #19102
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Well it's been rough, but the big Triumph is past it's 1000 mile break in and ready for Mexico. Picked it up Friday night at closing and took it in first thing Monday for its first service. Today it rolled over 1000.

Also came across some really brave deer.

Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #19103
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

^^Puro pedo, el piloto.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #19104
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Well it's been rough, but the big Triumph is past it's 1000 mile break in and ready for Mexico. Picked it up Friday night at closing and took it in first thing Monday for its first service. Today it rolled over 1000.

Cory, must have been too sacrificed to ride those 1K miles on the past days, but I understand you, someone has to do the dirty job.

ibas como Pedo (Speeding)

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:08 PM   #19105
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #19106
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
My 2c on the topes. If you fail to see one and hit it at a good speed , a dual sport bike will gobble it up with the longer travel suspension and few cuss words. On a low street bike, there very well may be a crash / and or / damage to motorcycle. I have toured Mexico -Sonora Chihuahua -Siniloa areas on a Suzuki 1000 street bike with a very low 4-1 exhaust . It was tricky to not scrape the header collector and sometimes I would turn and attack the speed bump on an angle so both wheels are on the tope at the same time, giving better clearance, other times a burp of the throttle as the front wheel goes up, to wheelie a bit to get over the speed bump. I did hit one that I failed to see at 35 mph , tired, not paying attention, and it damn near took me out. It was not much fun on the topes , but the street bike really was fun on the twisty mountain roads. There's a lot of great paved roads in northern Mexico ......
Old 12-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #19107
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Hekto, great skulls pic!
It is shouting for a black and white conversion, well, ok, at least I am
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #19108
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,809
Quote:
Well it's been rough, but the big Triumph is past it's 1000 mile break in and ready for Mexico.

Me gusta un chingo!
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #19109
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Plzn, do the #175 from Oaxaca up to Veracruz and stop by.
Yes my friend! I will definitely spend time there and in Veracruz. Looking forward to meeting you and breaking bread with you Mike.

Right now ..... I am "believe it or not" at a Company Xmas party with a guy I met on the road from Toluca who rides a Harley. Met him in Linares and he invited me to his house to meet his family. I'm now sitting, drinking and enjoying the Mexican hospitality of complete strangers! Pictures will come later.

:cheers:
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #19110
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Topes!!

They come in all shapes and sizes. Most are marked by a sign, some are not. Many are painted, many are not. Sometimes the road is painted for topes but there are none. Sometimes you can get around them or through a gap, most times you can't. Sometimes they make perfect sense, other times no sense at all. There are some definable patterns for locating topes which differs in cities vs. towns, but you can't completely rely on this. You'll learn the patterns and begin anticipating topes your first day or so.

Topes, IMO, are the single greatest reason for riding Mexico on a Dual Sport bike with a lot of suspension travel and why the GSA excels there. Your bike will do fine but cast wheels and less suspension travel means taking greater care. But damaging bikes or crashing is not a common thing among Mexico riders as far as I can tell so don't let it worry you. Just be vigilant, that's all.
I'm by far no expert but have real time 1st hand experience less than 12 hrs ago traveling for the first time in Mexico. Just when you THINK you are ready... Not a chance! I decided to take the rural route today through many rural towns. Beautiful ride and scenery. I cannot count the number of topes I encountered in and out of these towns. Some marked but many not. You soon pick up the pattern of slowing down regardless entering a town. I made the mistake of not slowing and an UnMARKED tope sent my airborne. Yep... That brought a new meaning to paying attention to the road. No marking or any warnings. That was not the last non marked tope. Listen to the warnings the guys who travel often express. I did and luckily no major damage. Some of these ropes are RIDICULOUSLY GRANDE!! I also ran into a reverse drop
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote