Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #19096
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Your toll ticket is your insurance policy while on that road for damages against your vehicle.
Literally?

+1 on toll road usefulness. I will use some to get to Huatulco in your neighborhood MikeMike.

57 south from Matehuala was a drudge but all views are great to the noob. (first hand knowledge).

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #19097
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Toll Road Safety

Keeping with the spirit of the Safety aspect, I would add this:

When you are cruising at a free spirited pace on the Toll road be aware that others will be going MUCH faster. 100+ mph is not uncommon. On a boring straight Cuota it was easy for me to not pay attention to my rear view mirror.

Most of the toll roads I rode on had wide shoulders. People use these shoulders as auxiliary traffic lanes. They will move over to allow you to pass without having to cross the center line. (some just stay there). I too move over for the faster traffic. (they can come up on you VERY quickly). I stay over to right most of the time so moving further is quick and easy.

All that being said, beware of the speed of oncoming traffic as well.

Some one should elaborate on the dangerous oil slicks at the Toll Plazas. The site of my only nap last year.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #19098
Lilbloody
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
+1 on jimmex's and Mark's recommendations.

From Houston it's a direct route through Reynosa then head directly west to the PanAm (Hwy85). I recommend running the loop west of the PanAm through Cola de Caballo to Los Lirios and back. One of Mexico's beautiful slot canyons awaits you there.

Do you like a smooth, almost sweet Tequila? Check out La Picota tequileria just north of Cd. Victoria on the PanAm. There's a tasting room - don't miss the Reposado. Don't like the stuff? You'll want to stop just to tour Sergio's cactus garden. Impressive.

Look up Edward James and Las Pozas. Maybe you're already familiar with him. No artist should miss seeing this place. And the ride to Xilitla is nice.

If you route across the Sierra Gorda to Queretaro don't miss the monolith at Villa Bernal. Neat little Pueblo Magico where my cousin lives. Only 45-60 minutes from downtown Queretaro. If she's home I'll ask if she will put you up. Cool lady, neat old house.

If you go to Real de Catorce consider the Linares-Galeana-Aramberri-Dr. Arroyo-Matehuala route.

Consider buying Sjoerd Bakker's Mexico guide. Will help stretch your funds and bring you closer to the people of Mexico. Also packed with travel guide info. Like avoiding the toll roads for the libre roads to save money and see more of the country.

Here's a good trip planning link that shows Pemex gas stations:
http://guiapemex.pemex.com/Paginas/mapas.aspx

You're gonna love Mexico!
YES!! God, thank you. Awesome information. This is quite honestly making me relax a bit about the safety issue.. though perhaps "relax" is the wrong word.. easing my paranoia is probably more accurate. Upon close inspection there are some amazing looking twisties that run through the mountain range below Monterrey that under circumstances I'm used to (such as being located in the U.S.) I wouldn't hesitate to target... any word on Rt 20 from Santiago at 85 to Saltillo? Is this really unsafe?
Lilbloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #19099
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Guys..

Checking in to say hello from MEXICO! I promise a road report will come. So far, my travels have taken me from Reynosa (where I met Arte for breakfast...what a great guy and THANK YOU again Arte).

Reynosa to Linares
Linares to Leon (Should have bypassed but oh well)
Leon to Maravatio
Maravatio to Toluca....where I sit now.
Toluca.......Oaxaca?

I learned quick to stay away from if possible from the toll ways. Soooo much better experience through the little towns. The ride from Maravatio to Toluca was pretty neat. However, those TOPES can creat havoc if youre not paying attention. I would not want to be on a lowered bike!

OK..until the next time.

ADIOS!
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #19100
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
Literally?
Yes, you will have to go through the process and it is slow, but like the CFE electrical issues, they will pay. Hang on to the toll receipt.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #19101
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbloody View Post
YES!! God, thank you. Awesome information. This is quite honestly making me relax a bit about the safety issue.. though perhaps "relax" is the wrong word.. easing my paranoia is probably more accurate. Upon close inspection there are some amazing looking twisties that run through the mountain range below Monterrey that under circumstances I'm used to (such as being located in the U.S.) I wouldn't hesitate to target... any word on Rt 20 from Santiago at 85 to Saltillo? Is this really unsafe?

That's the loop I was refering to. You'll ride through a beautiful slot canyon. You can loop back to Santiago then proceed south on the PanAm for either Xilitla or Real de Catorce or simply continue west to Saltillo. Don't miss Cola de Caballo falls just uphill from Santiago. This is a popular family recreation area serving Monterrey. You'll see families riding quads and picknicking along the roadside, etc.

Will you be using a GPS? I can give you coords for any particular site for either GPS or Google Maps, etc.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 09:44 AM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #19102
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Plzn, do the #175 from Oaxaca up to Veracruz and stop by.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #19103
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Keeping with the spirit of the Safety aspect, I would add this:

When you are cruising at a free spirited pace on the Toll road be aware that others will be going MUCH faster. 100+ mph is not uncommon. On a boring straight Cuota it was easy for me to not pay attention to my rear view mirror.
Those guys need to stay outta the fast lane, dang it!

Quote:
Some one should elaborate on the dangerous oil slicks at the Toll Plazas. The site of my only nap last year.
You just covered that.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #19104
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oil slicks at the toll plazas, yep, very common and a PITA.

Now, one of these days maybe someone from Pemex can explain to me why gas jockeys feel obligated to water down the painted areas in front of the pumps every 5 minutes. Watch for this, very slick, the normal oil and crap accumulates there and then it gets water on top of it and paint under it.
Kind of like the clay with water on top of it in the mountains, without the great view that suddenly goes from horizontal to vertical.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #19105
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Plzn, do the #175 from Oaxaca up to Veracruz and stop by.
Did that route last time in rain and fog. Plan to ride it again with hopefully nicer conditions. Epic route either way.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:11 AM   #19106
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
When I see that oil slick at the caseta, I mention it to the people working there. It is not safe and we are paying for safety. Anyway, there are usually at least a few people standing around the Caseta doing nothing. Pongase las pilas cabrones and clean it up.
On my list of words never to use in Mexico.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #19107
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,302
You could do a lot worse than "cabrones", especially as a gringo
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #19108
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,217
I think they spray grease ON the Pemex concrete. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #19109
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
On my list of words never to use in Mexico.
Don't say pilas in a tiangue, either.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:54 AM   #19110
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
Toluca....where I sit now.

Toluca.......Oaxaca?
Glad you're having a great time. Epiphany stories like yours are fun.

Oaxaca without a doubt. Don't be in a hurry to leave. There's lots to do in the environs around that town too.

Then cherry on the cake it by making the twistie run to one (or more) of the southern Oaxacan beaches.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote