Oddometer: 1,078
http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/01...ver-70-permit/

Hmmm.......
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:17 AM   #19653
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Shnizzle, worse things than that. are happening here in Mexico. That is only a little idea of the gestapo tactics Peña Nieto has been employing. His government's methods rarely affect tourists but that is a prime example of how much things have deteriorated government wise.
Good news is that, outside of politics just like anywhere else, the country is still what you are looking for!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:38 AM   #19654
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,609
So, does that mean that they want to SEE the TVIP on the windshield now?

They really pulled a WTF on that one.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #19655
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I can remember doing some work for the marketing of marinas in Mexico about 10 years ago. They had huge hopes for the infamous "escalara nautica" on both coasts.
Same for bringing cruise ships to Veracruz.
The only time the cruise ships actually come here, for the most part, is when they are redirected due to hurricane activity in the Gulf.
But!
The Rainbow Warrior Greenpeace vessel is coming to port in about a month or so, I can remember the last time it was here. There will likely be some eco events related to its stay.

The erosion of human rights in Mexico is becoming a serious problem, the wide ranging power grab that the federal government is doing is not unlike the early years of the PRI.
You can bet things are going to get more "interesting" here.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #19656
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,507
to B
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I can remember doing some work for the marketing of marinas in Mexico about 10 years ago. They had huge hopes for the infamous "escalara nautica" on both coasts.
Same for bringing cruise ships to Veracruz.
The only time the cruise ships actually come here, for the most part, is when they are redirected due to hurricane activity in the Gulf.
But!
The Rainbow Warrior Greenpeace vessel is coming to port in about a month or so, I can remember the last time it was here. There will likely be some eco events related to its stay.

The erosion of human rights in Mexico is becoming a serious problem, the wide ranging power grab that the federal government is doing is not unlike the early years of the PRI.
You can bet things are going to get more "interesting" here.
a 5 day trip to Baja Norte netted me 5 military checks, one fderal police check. and two inland US Border patrol checks where I was asked to produce my passport

Thought I might have time warped to Nazi Germany.

In 6 years of reasonably extensive Mexico travel I have never been stopped by a Federale.

I pulled over just before a cuota caseta near Tecate to get out my change (dont like to hold up the line while I fumble around for money)

There were 4 cops off to the side. One quickly came over. Asked for my papers, name where I was going. He had a fairly intimidating demeanour

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 06:44 AM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:44 AM   #19657
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
a 5 day trip netted me 5 military checks, one fderal police check. and two inland US Border patrol checks where I was asked to produce my passport

Thought I might have time warped to Nazi Germany.

In 6 years of reasonably extensive Mexico travel I have never been stopped by a Federale.

I pulled over just before a cuota caseta near Tecate to get out my change (dont like to hold up the line while I fumble around for money)

There were 4 cops off to the side. One quickly came over. Asked for my papers, name where I was going
Bob, there are some big changes happening within federal branches, the federales and the military. You are going to see them become more like sheep dogs to the tyranny as they move the old guard and non-compliant younger guard out and replace them with stooges.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:10 AM   #19658
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Going South, yep, lot's of construction. That is part of a big condo-shopping mall complex going up where the old TorreMar hotel used to be.
Palacio de Hierro is coming to town.
The metrosexuals shall rejoice! The rest of us will be into tacos and tianguis as usual instead of sushi and shopping.

Mark, one hour here on a Friday morning can be really interesting when you can find a place to park! LOL!

A few more from ayer...

El desayuno bajo el puente con aves...

Heavy metal, bridge to nowhere...

View of a prisoner of progress...

When large cats play...

The daily struggle of concrete and steel versus these little guys...

I'm not seeing much progress, just a lot of the eternal conflict known as
Man Vs. Nature, quite a fight, and one helluva an undercard, but the ring
girls and the announcer left the building...

Whew! Too deep for a Saturday AM, time to brew up some of La Esperanza's finest! Nature in a mug!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #19659
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I was planning to build a boat when I retired, and sail to Mexico in the winters.Now I'm not so sure.I'll have to do more research in 30 years.
Manic Cycles=My Blog
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #19660
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,609
Oh no... Not the palacio de Hierro! There goes Vera Cruz.

I walked through one of those when I met my friend at the Satelite Mall in the north DF, on my first trip. I was dressed in my finest grungy BMW rallye jacket and other smelly attire.

Got a few strange looks.

I thought, on the latest trip down there was less of a military / police presence. Not as many machinegun pickup truck convoys. However, JD did get inspected a bit more than the rest of us at a checkpoint. Not a yard-sale type inspection, but "Vere are you papers!", etc. Being last in line and bad Spanish got me a slightly easier time at the checkpoint.

We did pass a couple Federales on the cuota out of Parras. At a respectable speed, but still slightly over the limit. Can't do that in Ohio.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:53 AM   #19661
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
"After inspecting more than 1,600 vessels in late November, the Mexican government’s Treasury Department announced it had initiated seizure orders against 338 boats it accused of lacking a $70 permit. The office says it has four months to decide whether to release the boats or sell them at auction."

No sympathy from me for the boat owners (Sherlocks) or those who side with them (Hermans)

Let's see...the math:

(At least) 1,600-338 = 1,262 boat owners followed the law and had the appropriate permit.

Am I missing something here? What do the 338 have anything to whine about? - enforcement of a law already on the books? It's like the TVIP - you know when and where you're supposed to have one.

I've known riders who have thumbed their nose at the TVIP requirement - and made the renegade run on the mainland without one. Get pulled for not having a TVIP where required, and like these boats, your bike could be confiscated.

And cry me a river if it happens, Sherlock, but no sympathy from me

Boat owners can be like horse owners, quite the prissy, self absorbed lot.

Pony up the fee, Herman, like you were told

Don't whine about Mexico and her laws, or when she chooses to enforce them.

And sorry the hamburger you got in Jalpan didn't taste like the one back home in New Jersey, or that the chickens wake you up in Taxco.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #19662
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
"After inspecting more than 1,600 vessels in late November, the Mexican government’s Treasury Department announced it had initiated seizure orders against 338 boats it accused of lacking a $70 permit. The office says it has four months to decide whether to release the boats or sell them at auction."

No sympathy from me for the boat owners (Sherlocks) or those who side with them (Hermans)

Let's see...the math:

(At least) 1,600-338 = 1,262 boat owners followed the law and had the appropriate permit.

Am I missing something here? What do the 338 have anything to whine about? - enforcement of a law already on the books? It's like the TVIP - you know when and where you're supposed to have one.

I've known riders who have thumbed their nose at the TVIP requirement - and made the renegade run on the mainland without one. Get pulled for not having a TVIP where required, and like these boats, your bike could be confiscated.

And sorry the hamburger you got in Jalpan didn't taste like the one back home in New Jersey, or that the chickens wake you up in Taxco.

there it is again the 80/20 rule. In this case 80% of the owners played by the rules 20% cheated and got caught. Tough cheese
Old 01-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #19663
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Whoa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Let's see...the math:

Not enough or too much caffeine this AM! If you don't register your boat here the authorities will have words with you and more. Why do people think they can ignore the rules of a sovereign nation with impunity.

For those of you who do not put your holographic sticker on your windshield you could be stopped. A year ago I was told to put the sticker on. With the sticker on I got stopped a total of twice in four months and was only asked for documents once, that was at the inspection station 30 miles or so past the Palomas border crossing. I was stopped but waved through at the BC Sur/Norte check point. The dirt bikers in front of me were all inspected more closely. We all have different experiences with this. I usually ask the checkers if all is well ahead. There is no question that my Vietnam Vet license plate got me a few go aheads when they looked at. These young soldiers understand service.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #19664
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,687
From Our IMS Weather Department

Another Polar Vortex is on it's way next week, less severe and more focused than the one that just passed.

Looks like charming weather for Mexico mainland and the Baja

If I had ever had plans to move to Ohio, I hereby cancel them
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #19665
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Checkpoints

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
to B

two inland US Border patrol checks where I was asked to produce my passport
WTF ICE/Border Patrol operating on Mexican soil or were those checks in SD County?

If you travel by land or boat to Mexico you are not required to carry your passport. Only passport card if you have one.

I was never stopped in BC except just north of Guerrero Negro.