Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 10:56 PM   #21016
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Del Rio TX currently 30F. Lots of frost on the grass beside the road and on all the trees right to the hilltops near Alpine. Pretty, but f'n cold. 550 miles today and it never got over 45F

Turning south in the am

You poor thing! It was -24 when I left for work at 11.30 pm ...
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #21017
calimusjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Wicked Someday is Here !

Gentlemen, Here is the $64.00 question. (Some quick background first) I have ridden Baja several times and love/hate Mexico. 99% of my experience has been positive. I'm of the " no fumar" school of Spanglish. I am riding a TW200 (a WHAT?) from Arizona to basically circle the Mexican mainland. I 've followed the typical coastal route and am in Puerto Vallarta presently. My problem, I don't read Spanish newspapers, can not understand the machine gun speed of the T.V. commentators when I see a T.V. Nor do I have unlimited hours to sift through all of the last 50 pages - to get the latest status on the continueing situation in/around the State of Chiapis.
Finally, the question. What is the general consensus about riding through . . . . or after my swing up to Oaxaca . . . to just work over towards Villa-Hermosa and starting a circle of the Yucatan peninsula from there?
I have been around the block more than a few times, so I need some recommendations based on , latest known FACTS and not a lot of the , "Oh gosh, golly, if it was me. . . I've always wanted to ride to Mexico, but . . . "
Stumblin' along, soakin' up sun, interactin' with every one I can, enjoying every day, recordin' the action with a R.R., and willing to read your advice --- John
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #21018
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
Gentlemen, Here is the $64.00 question. (Some quick background first) I have ridden Baja several times and love/hate Mexico. 99% of my experience has been positive. I'm of the " no fumar" school of Spanglish. I am riding a TW200 (a WHAT?) from Arizona to basically circle the Mexican mainland. I 've followed the typical coastal route and am in Puerto Vallarta presently. My problem, I don't read Spanish newspapers, can not understand the machine gun speed of the T.V. commentators when I see a T.V. Nor do I have unlimited hours to sift through all of the last 50 pages - to get the latest status on the continueing situation in/around the State of Chiapis.
Finally, the question. What is the general consensus about riding through . . . . or after my swing up to Oaxaca . . . to just work over towards Villa-Hermosa and starting a circle of the Yucatan peninsula from there?
I have been around the block more than a few times, so I need some recommendations based on , latest known FACTS and not a lot of the , "Oh gosh, golly, if it was me. . . I've always wanted to ride to Mexico, but . . . "
Stumblin' along, soakin' up sun, interactin' with every one I can, enjoying every day, recordin' the action with a R.R., and willing to read your advice --- John
TW200 - We had Rhodetrip and wife on T-dubs last month. Made their way from Douglas AZ down to La Paz via 2 ferry rides and back.

For info, find the Mexican newspapers online for the major cities and use Google translate. You will get the gist of what is happening.

Granted, the news is often sanitized but even in translation you can red between the lines sometimes
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #21019
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,811
Mining The Innerwebz

Sometimes the internet seems a bit like mining for precious metals as it requires much time and some effort to find a single nugget while generating much more tailings. or waste material. Then there's the toxic stuff.........

Anyway, just wanted to share a nugget from Harry's thread as the topic has been addressed here as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase View Post
Well said Rick. Thanks for your parental viewpoint.

And in a general response to the discussion at hand I'll note that in the real world I work as a counselor type. I'm also involved in trauma chaplaincy and have long since lost count of the heartache moments I've dealt with -- everything from ER calls for mass casualty events to death notifications at family homes. Properly understood there is no virtue in harshness, and there is likewise no weakness in compassion

Two social commodities that are sadly lacking in so many circumstances are sound judgment and presence of mind.

Sound judgment is choosing the most effective response to a given need, and presence of mind is knowing what needs to be said -- or not said, in that same moment.

Yes, there are harsh realities -- but there are some things that are better left unsaid. So is this really the time and place to add injury to this family's grief and uncertainty with harsh or thoughtless words? Personally, I think not.

We teach others who we are by how we treat them. For those insistent on using the moment to make hard-nosed statements about the risks and realities of "adventure" riding, we'll let those words stand as a window into your soul.

IMHO,
Rick in AL, aka basketcase in some places...

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:04 AM   #21020
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post

to get the latest status on the continueing situation in/around the State of Chiapis.

What is the general consensus about riding through . . . . or after my swing up to Oaxaca . . . to just work over towards Villa-Hermosa and starting a circle of the Yucatan peninsula from there?
Chiapas: PM thread OP Arte or read his recent ride report. I say it will be stable but be aware you often find bridge ropers in Chiapas, more than anywhere else. Occasionally not on bridges too. Smile and give some pesos, or just smile. Always stop, though, don't run them, mostly for their safety.

Yucatán: Probably quietest area of México. Not consistently the prettiest countryside but world class beaches, cenotes, and ruins.

Oaxaca? Why ever leave Oaxaca?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #21021
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Sometimes the internet seems a bit like mining for precious metals as it requires much time and some effort to find a single nugget while generating much more tailings. or waste material. Then there's the toxic stuff.........

Anyway, just wanted to share a nugget from Harry's thread as the topic has been addressed here as well:
Schizz, I agree with you and the post you quoted. I often feel that in these types of situations people speculate as a form of voyeurism. It might also be an attempt to feel they have some control over a scary situation by trying to bend the story to match their reality. Sadly, some people just get a kick out of causing others pain. I'm pretty cynical most times but I'm trying to stay positive for Harry.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:29 PM   #21022
UKbri
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 163
We are in Mazatlan and leaving for San Blas tomorrow then Puerto Vallarta. Might catch you up some where down there TC.
UKbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #21023
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Check out Sayulita on the way. Its about 25 miles North of PV. Playa Escondida (just outside Sayulita) is about the nicest beach cabañas I've ever stayed in. Saludos, Jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #21024
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKbri View Post
We are in Mazatlan and leaving for San Blas tomorrow then Puerto Vallarta. Might catch you up some where down there TC.
UK, heading south out of Maz, It's fun to cut down SW back to the coast at Villa Union and ride between the beach and the palm groves for about 30 km to La Verde and Rosario. Beats the hell out of the flat hot highway.

El Cuchupetas is an iconic seafood restaurant located in Villa Union a few blocks off the main highway, with secure parking. The Cuchupetas signature dish is kind of sketchy in my opinion. It has a bunch of mayonnaise on it, but everything else is good. I like the coconut shrimp.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Maris...26835967427582
Right up there with La Mera Madre (for MikeMike)

Playa Novillero is a very small beach town with a very big beach. It is located a little further south and is not a bad place to kill some time. There are a couple of hotels there and some restaurants.

No rules, you can ride on the beach, no one cares!

Suerte!

SR screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 08:43 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 PM   #21025
calimusjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Question someday is Here !

Thank you gentlemen. I had forgotten about the translate mode. . . talk about brain fade . . . . sure enjoyed Rte 200 from Puerto Vallarto to Manzanillo. Seemed like about 10 miles total that was straight line. . . . the rest was curves.
John
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #21026
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,342
Wait til you ride the section from Tecoman to Lazaro Cardenas (if you do).
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:51 PM   #21027
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
Tecoman and Armeria are hot, so be alert. Jalisco Nuevo Generacion Cartel has been slugging it out with the Knights of Templar in those towns.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #21028
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,248

FOR SALE : nice dirt bike . Spotless, never driven on salty slushy roads of Canadian winters"
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #21029
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
The ocean water cleanses the soul. Not too sure what it does to wheel bearings and electrical connections?

SR screwed with this post 02-19-2014 at 09:15 AM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:37 AM   #21030
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post

FOR SALE : nice dirt bike . Spotless, never driven on salty slushy roads of Canadian winters"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
The ocean water cleanses the soul. Not too sure what it does to wheel bearings and electrical connections?
Right! Those of us from the rust belt know...

ODOT now has this wonderful liquid pre-treat brine solution they spray on the roads and it sticks to the roads. Wonder if it sticks to your car? Probably developed in a secret General Motors lab.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote