Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #21076
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,391
[QUOTE=cwc;23465834]This is a nice route. It took us all day, from 7 a.m. to near dark to go from Durango to Ruiz, but that was with a fair sized group.

There is lodging in Jesus Maria. [Quote]

If that ride from Estacion Ruiz to Durango included much gravel then you guys
must have been boogying, hauling the mail , burning the road, roosting gravel ... ( have I missed any other terms for speed?) all day.Not quite the formula for sightseeing, in my estimation anyway.
If you, Ozark , find that you might want a less dirt oriented ( okay nearly all paved) route that is as much fun and also scenic
you might consider taking the aforementioned route to Jesus Maria ( named after a Mexican historical figure) and as far as the road fork to Mesquital and Durango If you do not relish the thought of riding hard and pushing gravel all day then you could take the road going to the east at the fork and stick to asphalt ( there is only the 12km of gravel mountain descent north of JM.)
There is a Pemex and small hotel at San Juan Capistrano and
rugged spacious scenery and more hotels and Pemex in
Huejuquillo. This lets you ride at a relaxed pace to enjoy the country,
not as a demo of your riding skill and stamina for a studly accompanying group trying to prove .....?
At Huejuquillo you can turn north to Fresnillo or southeast across the altiplano and mountain ridges to Huejucar and Mex 23. Either road is plenty scenic and varied and paved with regular hotel spacings , so no need to panic or ride into
night.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #21077
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
75 and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
Kiko - - - I have a Ride Report going - Someday is Here ! It has what pictures I have and a recounting of my experiences over the last nine days on the mainland.
Basically all positive.
Today at a gas station south of Zihuatanejo, I mentioned to the attendant that there were sure a lot of Military vehicles headed north. He laughed. He then went on to say - In the mornings, they all race north. In the afternoon they all come racing back south . . . is no big thing.
I guess we all see and hear what we want to see - and hear. I'm still headed south - riding solo - carefully - on a slow bike. What's the worst that could happen to someone 75 years old?
Worrying about the Boogie Man doesn't cut it. Now if you want to discuss "Bed Bug" bites . . . that's different. John
An erection?
Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #21078
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
An erection?
Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is entertainment!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #21079
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
The Tecate entry is indeed pretty painless. Banjercito office is on right just after you cross the border. Not sure where migracion is but is probably close by. If you are planning to ride down the Baja and take the ferry to the mainland from LaPaz you will not need TVIP until you get ferry landing. There is Banjercito office there that was not too long a wait when I was there last spring. If you are going down the Peninsula just take the Valle de Guadalupe road out of Tecate to Enseñada and head South on the 1. Take a look at my ride report. Try to read the report by the two young Swedes who took the journey to Ushuaia, one on a DR. Third gear failed on her near Chile/Argentina border and eventually they abandoned that bike. Guy I met in Zacatecas last winter had major problems with stator. No part available in Mexico. Took him about three weeks to get it sorted. When I have a minute will PM you links. Please browse through my RR in sig line below.

Thanks for the info. I try find your RR. I'm headed down the main land.
My DR has been good to me, hopefully she stays that way. DSM8 has been putting up with me and he has extensive workshop and great wrenching skill. I have been all over the bike so hope she appreciates it and continues to purr.
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #21080
Eddywoodgo
two wheeled nomad

Oddometer: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Mexico began importing Suzuki DR650s in 2013 so parts should now be available, however, dealers generally do not stock much inventory so the part may have to be shipped from DF to you.

That's good news. Procycle shave said if I have an address, they'll ship it.
Eddywoodgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:00 AM   #21081
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
"you gotta be able either to sing "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic" or "Dixie" with equal enthusiasm... dependin' upon present company".
The ferryman in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales"
tactical politics
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #21082
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
The riders here on this thread can handle adventure that is not always "soft"
Just wish to say that Lorie IMHO doesn't appear to be into "soft" adventure either

When you see someone doing as much research as she is doing she deserves a chunk of

I appreciate her not just hanging around, but contributing, and doing her "due diligence" and dialing in her risk management factors.

You have a lot of moxie, Shnizzlemeister.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #21083
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Bob does the Bob Bob does the Bob

Bob update.
Dateline: Datsingara, somewhere on the altiplano in Mexico

Bob is doing well, recovered fully...from Tamaulipas event and previous evening in the VIP room at The Seal Club.

Had many deep windshield scratches expertly removed.

And mentioned he was looking for "adventure".

So the bartender said, "Zen. You need a major zen señor moment, señor.
Have one of these and one of those and wait for them to kick in.
Drinks are on the house, the owner/manager is in a fine mood because he got his caliper unstuck on his Harley, yes, that is the old motor by the way over there in the corner."

Upon entry to the VIP room you must bow in the direction of McFoil and the Oklahoma boys aka The Rusty Machetes.

The ride starts before dawn, decent ride up to the departure point right around here....want another one? The Henneiken keg just got tapped...

There is a well advised compulsory stop to visit at least one Virgin.

Next, you don't really know where you are, GPS is useless, this ride is so old school the school wasn't even built yet.

Feeling hungry, stop by the kitchen with the bull out front.

Not sure which gets harsher, the light up there or the attitude of The Seal Club's owner when he hasn't got his cigar lit yet.

The tricky part is knowing exactly when you are on it and when you are not.
Where does it begin and where does it end?
It doesn't really do either. The start can be the finish and vice versa.
If you see this sign, you are getting close. But unless you can read the symbols and know the hand motions, you'll miss it by a mile, at least.

If anyone can tell me the spelling mistake on that sign, I will buy them breakfast, lunch, supper and pay for their gas.
You'll have earned it.
No, it isn't the one you are thinking of, you have to think outside the crate...motor.

The Zen ride is now...The Bob.
Life looks really different through a scratch free windshield.
Pay attention to the bartender's pour.

Once photo rights are secured, Bob's rating of the rider will be posted.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #21084
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Nice!
Old 02-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #21085
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Nice!
Wait till you taste what gets applied to the windshield scratches.

The exit from the region requires the ability to follow arrows and ride
on a 6 inch edge of roadway depending on oncoming traffic.
Big oncoming traffic.
Trafico muy grande.
Bob said he could do it with his eyes closed, the rest of us did.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:15 AM   #21086
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 220
Great pictures Mike. As always. Good to see the bottle getting used. I'm going to have to find a way to re-supply the Seal Club before next January. I wish they bottled the 21 year old in a full handle. Most of the Machetes are going down to Austin mid April for the MotorGP race. Anybody else thinking about that? I could to a hand-off of a bottle if anyone is planing a Veracruz run sometime shortly after April.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #21087
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Here's a little teaser from my Baja ride photo collection

La Madrugada at Loreto, BCS

Old 02-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #21088
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,781
I have a different approach to staying safe in Mexico. I do not do research, I don't check with the USA advisories and quite frankly, I don't pay much attention to things that are written here concerning safety. I think there is entirely too much bloviating!

So what do I do? About the same as I do in the USA. With a couple of exceptions. First, just as in the US, I do not do drugs, hang around people that do drugs or go to places that drugs are present. I do not go to inner cities where it is obvious once should not be, whether a tourist or not. Regardless of where you are at, if it don't feel right of safe, get out!

Things specific to Mexico and places further south, first and foremost watch road conditions! Whether it be pot holes, topes, land slides, road cave ins, animals or just about anything else. NEVER assume a One Way street is only used one way, look both ways before crossing! I also don't hang around border towns any longer than necessary.

And what I consider the most important thing down here, never assume if you get yourself into trouble that the LAW can be depended on! For the most part, you are on your own! NEVER FORGET THIS!!!

I have traveled many tens of thousands of miles in Mexico and used this tecnique in every state in Mexico. It works for me! I have not/will not cross at El Paso, other than that, there is no where I won't go given the guidelines stated above.

I think safety down here is way over thought! Riding a motorcycle is more dangerous that driving a car. If you ride a motorcycle, the question is not if you will ever fall down, only when and how often. Is riding in Mexico more dangerous than riding in the USA. YES, to think otherwise is ludicrous! If you ride, you have already accepted the first risk, if you ride in Mexico and further south, you will have to accept the additional risk or pretend that the additional risk is not present. The most dangerous course of action, in my opinion, is to pretend that the additional risk does not exist. It can also cause the name of your Thread to be changed! Obviously I have made my decision, you will have to make yours.

This is only my opinion and BTW, I would do research if I were riding the far outback off road type routes.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #21089
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
I could do a hand-off of a bottle if anyone is planing a Veracruz run sometime shortly after April.
Do I have to sign anything that guarantees that the bottle will make it to Veracruz?
Old 02-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #21090
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,282
I believe Donnie just summed up this whole thread !