Old 02-15-2014, 07:15 AM   #21076
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddywoodgo View Post
Thanks mate,
Im a dirt kinda guy.
Im planning on heading east, then south.
Not going to go down the penninsula.
cheers and thanks again
Eddy
If you want a little dirt, just before you get to the toll station at La Rumerosa, take the dirt road to the right. It's the old dirt highway that switchbacks down the grade in spectacular fashion. Besides the views, you get to avoid to toll as well.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:29 AM   #21077
UKbri
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddywoodgo View Post
I'm also interested in hooking up with anyone else heading south, but happy to go solo too. I'm on a DR 650.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Eddy
Our 'couple of days in Mazatlan' has turned into a few weeks so you'll probably catch us up at some point. We'll be heading down to Manzanillo and beyond if we ever break free from this place.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #21078
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Tecate Entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
G'day mate

I crossed at Tecate January 23rd (with three Ozzies who were a blast to ride wth)

About as easy as it gets since there was no line and minimal checking

Much much better crossing than San Diego/Tijuana.

Be sure to get your tourist visa and TVIP though, you'll need the tourist visa when you push south in Baja and you'll need the TVIP to go to the mainland.

I have no paved route to describe out of Tecate, since we were on all dirt to Ensenada
The Tecate entry is indeed pretty painless. Banjercito office is on right just after you cross the border. Not sure where migracion is but is probably close by. If you are planning to ride down the Baja and take the ferry to the mainland from LaPaz you will not need TVIP until you get ferry landing. There is Banjercito office there that was not too long a wait when I was there last spring. If you are going down the Peninsula just take the Valle de Guadalupe road out of Tecate to Enseñada and head South on the 1. Take a look at my ride report. Try to read the report by the two young Swedes who took the journey to Ushuaia, one on a DR. Third gear failed on her near Chile/Argentina border and eventually they abandoned that bike. Guy I met in Zacatecas last winter had major problems with stator. No part available in Mexico. Took him about three weeks to get it sorted. When I have a minute will PM you links. Please browse through my RR in sig line below.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #21079
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,542
Mexico began importing Suzuki DR650s in 2013 so parts should now be available, however, dealers generally do not stock much inventory so the part may have to be shipped from DF to you.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #21080
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Everyone has gone strangely silent on bob loblaws post...no replies or comments......clarification?
I'll comment based on my personal experiece...

When we went to Chiapas on past October, we got stopped twice by cartel cdg. on our way south they were about 40 km before get to Aldama (rt 180), on the road repair areas, the were all fully armed with AK's I guess ( I don know much about guns) and they had hats with CGD embroidered letters and an image of weed leaf. They actually were signaling us to slow down only (we were speedin real fast for a dirt road ) but we stopped (read my RR). They chatted a little and let us thru.

On our way back, again, some 30 km north after passing Soto La Marina (rt 180), again, they stopped us, only to us, it was clear that they were waiting for us, in a four door pickup truck, again fully armed, different guys, while one of them asked questions, the other 3 were watching the road and waving thru the few vechicles passing there. They only wanted to check on us, who we are and what doing, etc.

again after the few questions they did let us thru. And they immediately went into their truck heading south..

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 01:25 PM
Arte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #21081
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
I'll comment based on my personal experiece...

When we went to Chiapas on past October, we got stopped twice by cartel cdg. on our way south they were about 40 km before get to Aldama (rt 180), on the road repair areas, the were all fully armed with AK's I guess ( I don know much about guns) and they had hats with CGD embroidered letters and an image of weed leaf. They actually were signaling us to slow down only (we were speedin real fast for a dirt road ) but we stopped (read my RR). They chatted a little and let us thru.

On our way back, again, some 30 km north after passing Soto La Marina (rt 180), again, they stopped us, only to us, it was clear that they were waiting for us, in a four door pickup truck, again fully armed, different guys, while one of them asked questions, the other 3 were watching the road and waving thru the few vechicles passing there. They only wanted to check on us, who we are and what doing, etc.

again after the few questions they did let us thru. And they immediately went into their truck heading south..
"you gotta be able either to sing "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic" or "Dixie" with equal enthusiasm... dependin' upon present company".
The ferryman in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Wales"

Baja http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863001
Oaxaca http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=866523
akaDigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #21082
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
I have not ridden in Tamaulipas in 7 years and I don't know Bob so I've got no opinion about what happened that day. If that had happened to me in Jalisco on a Saturday morning, then my guess is the guys in the Dodge pickup were Jehovah's Witnesses.

Safety issues for riders who are tourists are much different than those of us who live here, so my perspective and opinions about what works for me oftentimes will not apply to you.

You may want to consider a tour group ride. There is a Canadian in Ajijic who runs a clean tour and one of my friends who I have ridden with for 8 years is the tour guide. He knows Mexico better than most of the posters on this forum as he has lived here and ridden here for 18 years. They do tours all over Mexico, your cost may be something like $475/day. They pick you up at the airport in Guadalajara and they handle everything. You will be riding a BMW GS1200, or F650GS, or F800GS. Your choice.

I will take this as a little joking , a little ball busting and thats fine, fire away.
But from what I have posted up so far do I seem like a tour group type person? Seriously....?for every post that reads "a bad thing happened"... there is one that says.." I rode through and nothing happened".

This aint Fox news!

Fair and balanced reporting is in order, I think anyway. But, as always, its up to the poster to decide. But, as I said earlier, it valuable local news and it helps us ( noobs) to understand different possible scenarios. Here we have 2 very different ones, handled in very different ways, both with the same outcome.

I get the feeling that if once its initially reported, there is a wee chatter , and then it gets ignored or hopefully ignored. This will be an experience that will be a revelation for me personally, and frankly, a pretty good culture shock.

But I am not pretending that its safe as houses, because its not. But im still coming there. And im NOT going to hide behind the skirts of some tour group, all safe and sanitized.
theshnizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #21083
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,777
I wouldn't consider a tour group "safe and sanitized". They guys with guns could work them over too, if they chose. They have the guns and the element of surprise.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:37 PM   #21084
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I will take this as a little joking , a little ball busting and thats fine, fire away.
But from what I have posted up so far do I seem like a tour group type person? all safe and sanitized.
I wasn't kidding you, just offering an option. I've not taken a motorcycle tour anywhere but it works for some riders.

There seems to be about 8 states in Mexico that are lit up. Pick your itinerary and go for it.

Riders who comment about this area or that area as safe based upon a short trip 2 or 3 years ago are simply unaware. A lot has happened in 2 or 3 years both good and bad.

It would be truthful if I said: "I ride wherever I want in Mexico." It would be more truthful if I said: "I ride wherever I want in Mexico, but there are some places I don't want to ride."
Old 02-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #21085
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
I wasn't kidding you, just offering an option. I've not taken a motorcycle tour anywhere but it works for some riders.

There seems to be about 8 states in Mexico that are lit up. Pick your itinerary and go for it.

Riders who comment about this area or that area as safe based upon a short trip 2 or 3 years ago are simply unaware. A lot has happened in 2 or 3 years both good and bad.

It would be truthful if I said: "I ride wherever I want in Mexico." It would be more truthful if I said: "I ride wherever I want in Mexico, but there are some places I don't want to ride."
I am a tour operator along with owning a hotel and I while several ADV denizens of this thread have stayed here I would not expect any of them on a tour. Motorcycle tours offer a "soft adventure." Tour operators take the hard edges off and provide a safety net. We travel with a sag wagon, an enclosed luggage/recovery trailer in the US (no trailer in Mexico) and we take care of all the rooms and meals and we are there at the border. It opens up touring to more people and that is good. $450 or so is not a bad price depending on whether gas is included. The route is planned, you stay at nice hotels, eat at nice places and you basically have no worries. Not for everyone but we have had repeat clients and some clients who have toured with other companies. With so much info on the web about routes and everything else, it is easy to do it on your own if you want. But if you want it even easier and you have the cash, tour companies are there.

The riders here on this thread can handle adventure that is not always "soft"

Turkeycreek screwed with this post 02-15-2014 at 06:17 PM
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #21086
calimusjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Someday is Here !

Kiko - - - I have a Ride Report going - Someday is Here ! It has what pictures I have and a recounting of my experiences over the last nine days on the mainland.
Basically all positive.
Today at a gas station south of Zihuatanejo, I mentioned to the attendant that there were sure a lot of Military vehicles headed north. He laughed. He then went on to say - In the mornings, they all race north. In the afternoon they all come racing back south . . . is no big thing.
I guess we all see and hear what we want to see - and hear. I'm still headed south - riding solo - carefully - on a slow bike. What's the worst that could happen to someone 75 years old?
Worrying about the Boogie Man doesn't cut it. Now if you want to discuss "Bed Bug" bites . . . that's different. John
calimusjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #21087
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds like you're having a great time. Stop by if in the hood south of Guadalajara, I'll be here til April.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #21088
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,157
I have been following this thread for quite a while. Getting closer to out trip to Copper Canyon, last week in March, I am wondering if there is any recent update, route/lodging recommendations?

We are old guys on big bikes, crossing from AZ at Senoyta, headed to Creel. Our tentative route is South to Batopilas via Guachochi. There south and west, via Rodeo/Tubares/Choix to El Fuerte and on to the ferry at Topolobampo for a return to AZ via Baja.

Thanks!!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #21089
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,209
[QUOTE=cwc;23465834]This is a nice route. It took us all day, from 7 a.m. to near dark to go from Durango to Ruiz, but that was with a fair sized group.

There is lodging in Jesus Maria. [Quote]

If that ride from Estacion Ruiz to Durango included much gravel then you guys
must have been boogying, hauling the mail , burning the road, roosting gravel ... ( have I missed any other terms for speed?) all day.Not quite the formula for sightseeing, in my estimation anyway.
If you, Ozark , find that you might want a less dirt oriented ( okay nearly all paved) route that is as much fun and also scenic
you might consider taking the aforementioned route to Jesus Maria ( named after a Mexican historical figure) and as far as the road fork to Mesquital and Durango If you do not relish the thought of riding hard and pushing gravel all day then you could take the road going to the east at the fork and stick to asphalt ( there is only the 12km of gravel mountain descent north of JM.)
There is a Pemex and small hotel at San Juan Capistrano and
rugged spacious scenery and more hotels and Pemex in
Huejuquillo. This lets you ride at a relaxed pace to enjoy the country,
not as a demo of your riding skill and stamina for a studly accompanying group trying to prove .....?
At Huejuquillo you can turn north to Fresnillo or southeast across the altiplano and mountain ridges to Huejucar and Mex 23. Either road is plenty scenic and varied and paved with regular hotel spacings , so no need to panic or ride into
night.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #21090
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
75 and riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by calimusjohn View Post
Kiko - - - I have a Ride Report going - Someday is Here ! It has what pictures I have and a recounting of my experiences over the last nine days on the mainland.
Basically all positive.
Today at a gas station south of Zihuatanejo, I mentioned to the attendant that there were sure a lot of Military vehicles headed north. He laughed. He then went on to say - In the mornings, they all race north. In the afternoon they all come racing back south . . . is no big thing.
I guess we all see and hear what we want to see - and hear. I'm still headed south - riding solo - carefully - on a slow bike. What's the worst that could happen to someone 75 years old?
Worrying about the Boogie Man doesn't cut it. Now if you want to discuss "Bed Bug" bites . . . that's different. John
An erection?