lexluther11
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #21137
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I sit in Turn 15 Grandstand, Sect. 8. Looking to hit Veracruz sometime after April.

Y'all riding down?

Earlier today in the Texas Hill Country:

Is that the new Water Buffalo JD? Looks nice! Is that a stock windscreen?
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #21138
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Bloviating?

Too many syllables. If you mean bullsht, just step right up and say it and name names.

If you want to see some real Grade A 100% pure bloviating, go tune into one of the Harry Is Missing threads. Pay attention to the idea of using trained rescue dogs. Talk about a waste of cyberspace.

Most of us on here are too busy having fun to worry or overthink riding here.
When things come up, which have been at a higher frequency lately, we discuss and deal with it openly or in private.

Personally, I haven't seen much BS on this thread compared to other threads. Some mystery and intrigue, but hey!

It's Mexico!

Mystery, intrigue, and bullsht have been having a truly wild menage a trois here for centuries.

Part and parcel of what makes this nation fun to live in and ride in. Mystery, intrigue, and bullsht is openly practiced here and not hidden away like in some other nations including the one I am originally from.

The latest thing that gets my mind spinning is that it looks like The Rusty Machetes are expanding in numbers! That pegs the needle in the red danger zone. Any group that can figure out how to make a chastity belt for a bottle of bourbon is frightening. I bet NASA couldn't even do that. That kind of thinking lands peoples inventions in the Smithsonian.

dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #21139
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
You'll fit in just fine here. Be sure to post up a ride report to share with all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Of course. Its the absolute least I could do. I only wish there was a way to give thanks to all on this forum who share and contribute thier stories, expertise, observations whether good or bad.

Just saying..."thanks" online sometimes feels so lame considering the effort everyone puts in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Just wish to say that Lorie IMHO doesn't appear to be into "soft" adventure either

When you see someone doing as much research as she is doing she deserves a chunk of

I appreciate her not just hanging around, but contributing, and doing her "due diligence" and dialing in her risk management factors.

You have a lot of moxie, Shnizzlemeister.
At some point Wilbur has to get in the plane and fly it.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #21140
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 898
Quote:
Just keeps getting better

Mexico in pictures

by

lexluther11
Excellent reminder!
Thanks for the break Trice.

MysteryRider screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 11:27 AM
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #21141
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
just a few miles from me in a very safe and highly traveled area, a group of Mexican youth parked in a convenience store parking lot with very loud Mexican music playing. words were exchanged with the middle aged Mexican man. the middle aged Mexican man pulled his gun and shot 10 time, killing one of the Mexican youths.

not too long before this, a Mexican youth was knuckle dragging around with his face all wrapped in in a hoody. he was out of place in this particular Mexican neighbor hood. he was confronted by another Mexican middle aged man...a scuffle started and a shot was fired, killing the hooded Mexican.

and last but not least, two Mexican were in a movie theater. the retire police officer Mexican pulled his gun and shot the ex military Mexican after popcorn was thrown.

I think everyone should stay out of this part of Mexico!
That's funny No, we never see that here, ever.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #21142
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
"Mas vale morir de pie, que vivir toda una vida de rodillas..."

If you understand that translation you will appreciate the clash you hear about.

For the person who likes to devour books on Mexican history, that person will understand and appreciate the answer that Kiko gave you.

I believe what you're witnessing has huge threads of historical precedence, and in many ways, is cyclical in Mexico. Virtually expected.

My own answer to BW's question #1 above is: likely. At least to a couple of other states as their political climate morphs and linked to the "personality" of the controlling faction(s) (cartel(s), if you wish) of those states. Be sure, the fuerzas autodefensas movement in Michoacán and Guerrero is being eyeballed, and not just by the caudillos in DF or governor's mansions.

My own answer to question #2 is: Who is to say? Just how hot and spicy do you like your soup?
Thank you senor Trice. I am not unfamiliar with Mexican history. What I was hoping to get was some intel on how the average Mexican in other states views the autodefensas movement, and whether this was likely to become a nation wide phenomenon. The pochos up here seem to think that it will, but in my opinion they have always had an exaggerated sense of the danger in Mexico. This is a very swiftly moving development, rather like the EZLN in Chiapas in the 90's, so the story in print will be playing catch up at best. Some guys on AdvRider mix daily with the man in the street down there, and I was wondering what his attitude was.

As far as my own attitude is concerned, I'm still heading to Copper Canyon in April. But other than route 200 along the coast, I probably will not be travelling in Michoacan or Guerrero in the near future. With regard to the missing rider, the engineer in me knows better than to extrapolate from a single data point. In my opinion, Mexico has always been more dangerous than the US. Not because of narco violence, but simply because of the poorer infrastructure, the undisciplined driving, and the relative impunity with which the common or garden criminal can act. You put this on one side of the balance, and the beauty of Mexico and the grace of its inhabitants on the other. Each of us has our own scale and will get a different reading.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #21143
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
What I was hoping to get was some intel on how the average Mexican in other states views the autodefensas movement, and whether this was likely to become a nation wide phenomenon. The pochos up here seem to think that it will, but in my opinion they have always had an exaggerated sense of the danger in Mexico. This is a very swiftly moving development, rather like the EZLN in Chiapas.....
My familia Chilanga was just here last week and this topic entered into our conversations. They are upper middle class with professional degrees, just FYI. They take a strong positive view of the autodefensas and see this movement growing across the country. Not nationwide in the sense of it encompassing the whole country but a model that emerges in troubled regions across the country.
Anecdotal, not scientific, of course.

Maybe start a thread, "Mexico's Fuerzas Autodefensas and USA's 2nd Amendment". In the basement, of course.

Your travel plans make good sense to me, BTW.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #21144
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,420
Quote:
So is this still a local phenomenon, or is it something that will spread throughout Mexico? And what will this mean to security for the traveller in Mexico?
Quote:
Thank you senor Trice. I am not unfamiliar with Mexican history. What I was hoping to get was some intel on how the average Mexican in other states views the autodefensas movement, and whether this was likely to become a nation wide phenomenon.

Some guys on AdvRider mix daily with the man in the street down there, and I was wondering what his attitude was.
Sorry Señor BW, I did not extract your caveat from the prospectus in your earlier post.

IIWY, I'd invite SR or Kiko to the fore, two guys who fit your criteria and who live closest to the "action" (for now, unless the "action" moves). If fuerzas autodefensas pop strong in Veracruz, then MM is your man. These guys certainly 'mix regularly' with whom I would expect could provide you with the intel you seek.

Also, a suggestion via PM sent

tricepilot screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 11:56 AM
Old 02-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #21145
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryRider View Post
Excellent reminder!
Thanks for the break Trice.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #21146
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,526
Vigilante groups will have little sustainability without a source of revenue to maintain their activities. It may be a short-lived phenomenon. In addition, they may not have the wherewithal to maintain their secrecy.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #21147
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Tricepilot Motorcycle Gear Testing Labs, LLC, open for business with the arrival of the first of the newest series of shipments for SR
Old 02-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #21148
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,060
If you were to wander through Mexico and ask Mexicans their opinion of the autodefense movements you would get a variety of answers depending on their educational/social level, where they live, their age, which party they support, their gender, family status, number of children if any, etc., etc. I don't believe there is any such thing as an average Mexican with an average answer on this issue. IfI ask someone in my peer group about a current societal issue, I'll get a very different answer than if I go across town and ask the same question.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:54 PM   #21149
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Is that the new Water Buffalo JD? Looks nice! Is that a stock windscreen?
Thanks!

Yes, it's stock. Tinted on backorder. Same size.
Gives good protection for me riding the low seat
on low position.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #21150
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:

From Moto Tour Madagascar

Time to add a carpet needle to the tire kit
Another fixed with a mexicanada[IMG][/IMG]
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote