Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #21511
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,350
[QUOTE=FlowBee;23553760]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKbri View Post
Hell No ! You could loose an eye or snap an ankle if you're not careful.

Does that lead to one of El Chapo's mansions, or to a warehouse in Douglas AZ ?

Both !
Old 02-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #21512
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,507
Seen Recently in Veracruz

Albert must have had these two straggler wannabees in mind

Old 02-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #21513
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Baaaa!

We were sizing them up for barbacoa, uncle Bob.

At least I was...
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #21514
AndyT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwithafork View Post
Have you guys had good success finding acceptable maps as you roll through central and into south America, or is there a good source online that is preferential to purchase relatively accurate maps from? Thanks!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ht=maps+mexico
Old 02-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #21515
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Looks like I may have a short window in the next couple of days to catch a flight to Phoenix, get some gear and a bike together and hit the border at Aqua Prieta.
The game plan is to meet up with inmate Rexbuck somewhere around Aquascalientes or Guadalajara and ride back north with him on his return from Jalisco. Roughly, Guadalajara (or Guanajuanto) to Huejuquila then backroads to Durango then Hwy 23 to Parral then up to Basachic then Banamichi likely with a stopover at Tom and Lynn's Hotel Los Arcos. From there back to Phoenix.

On the way down I am looking at riding 45 to 49D to Torreon onwards to 45 through Rio Grande. Anyone have any input on this routing down? Anyone have a better route or a "do not miss" section? I assume 4 to 5 days from Scottsdale and 7 days on the return.

Jick
I have been from Zacatecas to Phoenix several times and if you are trying to see a lot of country and make time you can make Phoenix to Nuevo Casa Grandes crossing at Douglas. I have done that a couple of time in one day...but I like to cross at Antelope Wells New Mexico.....however the mountains between Agua Prieta and Janos is a nice ride. Then go to San Buenaventura then 28 through Gomes Farias and on to Ciudad Cuahtemoc and on south to Hidalgo de Parral. That is another day and you spend a lot of time in the foot hills and it is cooler and nice ridding..... from Parral you can go south and then around Rodeo you can take 34 over to 49 and on into Zacatecas. From Zacatecas to Aguascalientes is only a couple of hours....I ran over there last weekend...but if you are going to meet up in Guadalajara I would recomend you take 23 south of Fresnillo to Guadalajara.
If your in the Fresnillo area give me a shout....maybe I could show you around a bit or ride with you a while.
Enjoy your ride!!!

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:42 PM   #21516
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
Bob Loblaw....
That "el Chepo " stayed at the pricy Miramar Hotel in Mazatlan just proves what I have been telling folks all along:
A High priced hotel does not vouch for sterling quality of the clientele, it only winnows out the low - budget and attracts the big spenders doing the same things and if they are criminal their viciousness
gets expressed with more force down a longer chain of command.
There can be good and bad people anywhere.The appeal of fancy hotels is largely a question of stroking vanities and bragging rights and having a need to keep up appearances.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #21517
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
Jick
I have been from Zacatecas to Phoenix several times and if you are trying to see a lot of country and make time you can make Phoenix to Nuevo Casa Grandes crossing at Douglas. I have done that a couple of time in one day...but I like to cross at Antelope Wells New Mexico.....however the mountains between Agua Prieta and Janos is a nice ride. Then go to San Buenaventura then 28 through Gomes Farias and on to Ciudad Cuahtemoc and on south to Hidalgo de Parral. That is another day and you spend a lot of time in the foot hills and it is cooler and nice ridding..... from Parral you can go south and then around Rodeo you can take 34 over to 49 and on into Zacatecas. From Zacatecas to Aguascalientes is only a couple of hours....I ran over there last weekend...but if you are going to meet up in Guadalajara I would recomend you take 23 south of Fresnillo to Guadalajara.
If your in the Fresnillo area give me a shout....maybe I could show you around a bit or ride with you a while.
Enjoy your ride!!!
RW66
I will be sure to contact you if I get in your backyard. Would be my pleasure to make your acquaintance. At this moment I am on a flight to Phoenix so I will look closer at your route later tonight when I am in Arizona. I think you are on the money with the southerly portion but I'm undecided about the northern section. Not sure if I have had too much vino but i can't find highway 28 on my map. Your post and invitation is appreciated.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick

Jick Magger screwed with this post 02-26-2014 at 06:54 AM
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:19 AM   #21518
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 9,098
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:38 AM   #21519
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

You go thinking like that and you'll end up somebody's watch list.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:56 AM   #21520
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
In Mexico the only people on the watch list are the politicians and they are watching each other. Like going on a fishing trip with two Baptists and a case of beer.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:11 AM   #21521
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

And a pack of Marlboros.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 AM   #21522
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

A guy I met in Tamaulipas who was taking photos with his camera and using a telescope for some add'l zoom.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #21523
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Those pics turn out really cool, Kiko.
People do them even with an iPhone and adapters these days.
Drives the neighbors totalmente loco, aunque.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 AM   #21524
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 9,098
“In Mexico your wishes have a dream power. When you want to see someone, he turns up.”

― William S. Burroughs, Junky
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #21525
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

It has been mentioned on this thread many times that you are safer if you avoid illegal drugs in Mexico. Long story short, an American who hung out with the mala gente (wrong crowd) was murdered last week here. The perp has been 'captured' and is in jail. The police and the local cartel worked together on this since the perp tried to mask the crime as a cartel hit, hence the dicho:

Dime con quien andas y te dires quien eres.

And the people in the pueblo are pleased since the perp was a low life drug dealer, wife beater, and child abuser.