User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #21511
UKbri
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 153
Is Mexico Safe ?

Hell No ! You could loose an eye or snap an ankle if you're not careful.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 PM   #21512
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486
Bri now that you are in Guadalajara, heads up if routing south on Lopez Mateo to Colima or Michoacan. Some of the 2' wide steel drainage grates that span the width of Lopez Mateo are missing some steel, enough for you to lose your front wheel. I try to keep a good distance behind the vehicle in front of me so I am not surprised at the last moment.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:45 PM   #21513
UKbri
Just a Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Bri now that you are in Guadalajara, heads up if routing south on Lopez Mateo to Colima or Michoacan. Some of the 2' wide steel drainage grates that span the width of Lopez Mateo are missing some steel, enough for you to lose your front wheel. I try to keep a good distance behind the vehicle in front of me so I am not surprised at the last moment.
Is Mexico Safe? Thanks for the heads up but I think we'll be headin up to Leon.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #21514
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
That was funny. My Spanish teacher just left. She is from Bogota, and said the quote is very accurate.
I used a Spanish teacher from Bogota for years! I went for a vacation in Bogota a few years ago and she told me not to go because it was not safe
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:41 PM   #21515
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 815
Phoenix to Guadalajara

Looks like I may have a short window in the next couple of days to catch a flight to Phoenix, get some gear and a bike together and hit the border at Aqua Prieta.
The game plan is to meet up with inmate Rexbuck somewhere around Aquascalientes or Guadalajara and ride back north with him on his return from Jalisco. Roughly, Guadalajara (or Guanajuanto) to Huejuquila then backroads to Durango then Hwy 23 to Parral then up to Basachic then Banamichi likely with a stopover at Tom and Lynn's Hotel Los Arcos. From there back to Phoenix.

On the way down I am looking at riding 45 to 49D to Torreon onwards to 45 through Rio Grande. Anyone have any input on this routing down? Anyone have a better route or a "do not miss" section? I assume 4 to 5 days from Scottsdale and 7 days on the return.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick

Jick Magger screwed with this post 02-24-2014 at 10:04 PM
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:18 AM   #21516
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,486

Maybe a future Ivan Ramirez, but for Team Suzuki. Mexicans doing what they do best, having fun together as family.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #21517
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,344
Mazatlan

I was in Mazatlan on Friday. I thought i would check out this hotel but the rate was a little more than I wanted to pay.

I was shocked and surprised when I heard on Saturday they had arrested El Cheapo

I didn't even know Sjoerd Bakker was in town. I was confused, was he really a closet big spender, was his book Economical Hotels a front, a sham and why was he arrested, for trying to extort an unreasonable discount when he was checking out?

Apparently I'm hard of hearing. I later found out they actually arrested some guy named El Chapo.

Jeez, how boring

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 11:46 AM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 AM   #21518
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
Looks like I may have a short window in the next couple of days to catch a flight to Phoenix, get some gear and a bike together and hit the border at Aqua Prieta.
The game plan is to meet up with inmate Rexbuck somewhere around Aquascalientes or Guadalajara and ride back north with him on his return from Jalisco. Roughly, Guadalajara (or Guanajuanto) to Huejuquila then backroads to Durango then Hwy 23 to Parral then up to Basachic then Banamichi likely with a stopover at Tom and Lynn's Hotel Los Arcos. From there back to Phoenix.

On the way down I am looking at riding 45 to 49D to Torreon onwards to 45 through Rio Grande. Anyone have any input on this routing down? Anyone have a better route or a "do not miss" section? I assume 4 to 5 days from Scottsdale and 7 days on the return.
Jick, Your return route with Rexbuck sounds perfect. You should just do it it twice, once on the way down and once on the way back! Give me a shout when you pass through DGO.

-Your route down is fine just a bit slabby in some places, but what can you do, Northern Mexico is a big place. It is interesting to cut over from 45 to 49 at Rodeo through Nazas (HW 34) than further south. The Nazas river valley is nice.

-I have spent lots of time in Rio Grande. Was just there a few weeks ago. I always stay at the JM hotel. A couple of years ago Rio Grande was completely taken over by criminals and I would not have recommended spending any time there, but it is very tranquillo now.

-There is a Mennonite colony called La Honda located about 45km north of Rio Grande on the west side of the highway. It is kind of interesting to pop into there and see how the Mennonites live.

-The Santo Nino de Atocha church in Plateros outside of Fresnillo is one of the top religious sites in Mexico and well worth a quick visit.

-There is a mine tour in Fresnillo which is interesting if you are into that kind of thing. Look RW66 when you get to Fresnillo. On the subject of Fresnillo, look for the two big white towers in the bean fields west of Fresnillo. Those are the head frames for the biggest silver mine in the world.

-Of course, Zacatecas city is one of the nicest colonial cities in Mexico to visit. Pop in there if you haven't been.

Suerte!
SR
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 AM   #21519
NZLADY650
beamerbarb

Oddometer: 27
Question samsung galaxy tab 3

Has anyone travelled with the above tablet? We are playing with it before our trip.when we downloaded our photos from our cameras it removed the photos from the camera (but we were able to save in our Gallery on the tablet)

Any help welcome
NZLADY650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #21520
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Jick, Your return route with Rexbuck sounds perfect. You should just do it it twice, once on the way down and once on the way back! Give me a shout when you pass through DGO.

-Your route down is fine just a bit slabby in some places, but what can you do, Northern Mexico is a big place. It is interesting to cut over from 45 to 49 at Rodeo through Nazas (HW 34) than further south. The Nazas river valley is nice.

-I have spent lots of time in Rio Grande. Was just there a few weeks ago. I always stay at the JM hotel. A couple of years ago Rio Grande was completely taken over by criminals and I would not have recommended spending any time there, but it is very tranquillo now.

-There is a Mennonite colony called La Honda located about 45km north of Rio Grande on the west side of the highway. It is kind of interesting to pop into there and see how the Mennonites live.

-The Santo Nino de Atocha church in Plateros outside of Fresnillo is one of the top religious sites in Mexico and well worth a quick visit.

-There is a mine tour in Fresnillo which is interesting if you are into that kind of thing. Look RW66 when you get to Fresnillo. On the subject of Fresnillo, look for the two big white towers in the bean fields west of Fresnillo. Those are the head frames for the biggest silver mine in the world.

-Of course, Zacatecas city is one of the nicest colonial cities in Mexico to visit. Pop in there if you haven't been.

Suerte!
SR
SR
I have a work commitment in Vegas March 12 which is what is making for a tight deadline.
My original intention was to get down as far as Barra to say hello to some friends, over to SMA and then returning but its just too far south to allow us a quieter pace coming home. I'm not a fan of hours and hours of slab but as you say its a big place and some is required.

I understand the nicest route down is the reverse of the way we are returning but I was hoping to find a reasonably interesting alternative. The other choice I have is not to take the Highway to Chihuahua and instead ride down through 17 in Sonora through Suhuaripa and over 16 to 24. Covers the same ground I did last time. At least its nice riding and may be better than the alternative to Chihuahua. Kind of goes without saying that we will contact you coming through Durango as I missed you last time but enjoyed a great meal in Durango.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick

Jick Magger screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 08:28 AM
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:12 AM   #21521
UKbri
Just a Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post

I was in Mazatlan on Friday. I thought i would check out this hotel but the rate was a little more than I wanted to pay.

I was shocked and surprised when I heard on Saturday they had arrested El Cheapo

I didn't even know Sjoerd Bakker was in town. I was shocked and confused, was he really a closet big spender, was his book Economical Hotels a front, a sham and why was he arrested, for trying to extort an unreasonable discount when he was checking out?

Apparently I'm hard of hearing. I later found out they actually arrested some guy named El Chapo.

Jeez, how boring

Did you go and see Lee at the Lerma ???
Old 02-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #21522
goodwithafork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Have you guys had good success finding acceptable maps as you roll through central and into south America, or is there a good source online that is preferential to purchase relatively accurate maps from? Thanks!
goodwithafork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #21523
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
[QUOTE=UKbri;23547225]Hell No ! You could loose an eye or snap an ankle if you're not careful.

Does that lead to one of El Chapo's mansions, or to a warehouse in Douglas AZ ?

Old 02-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #21524
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
[QUOTE=FlowBee;23553760]
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKbri View Post
Hell No ! You could loose an eye or snap an ankle if you're not careful.

Does that lead to one of El Chapo's mansions, or to a warehouse in Douglas AZ ?

Both !
Old 02-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #21525
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,344
Seen Recently in Veracruz

Albert must have had these two straggler wannabees in mind