Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #22366
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwithafork View Post
Looking good here in Durango! The road into Balopitas was terrible, and I was defeated by a bridge and 30 mph crosswinds, just not safe to cross when I wasn't confident on the VStrom so I turned around. The little jaunt down to the bridge once the pavement ended was bone shattering, not pleasant at all.

Also, the road from Hildalgo De Parrel to Durango is filled with construction if anyone is headed that way. Numerous diversions on unpaved stuff. There was one where sand was pouring over my boots like water, just to get to the pavement again. The Ankee IIIs didn't care for that much.

Any suggestions on fun routes from here to the Yucatan? I'm headed out tomorrow I expect. Cheers!
The road from Parral to DGO will be a mess for years to come as they widen it to 4 lanes. It is much more fun to head west at Santa Maria del Oro to Tepehuanes and Nuevo Ideal. This route is all new pavement and curvy mountain roads.

From Durango some of the best riding in Mexico is to the west of you. You should take the toll road to Mazatlán for a day and take the free road back.

Then from Durango you can either go SW back town to the coast from Mezquital to Ruiz and San Blas Nayarit or you can jump back over to Zacatecas from the Jesus Maria areas. You could also just head straight to Zacatecas and Guanajuato. They are both very nice interesting and scenic colonial cities.

Suerte!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #22367
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,182
Where did you end up after you left Banamichi? Sahuaripa, Yecora or the falls?
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #22368
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I think the reason that KTM riders wear orange is so BMW riders can see them disappearing in the distance...
You mean the rear view mirror right??

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #22369
UKbri
Just a Rider

Oddometer: 195
After 3 months to the day, 6000 miles and 21 states we finally left Mexico into Belize. It's been a great trip seeing lots of this beautiful country and meeting some fantastic people on the way of whom I'm sure we will keep seeing further South. Apart from the amazing sights I think the things I will remember most will be hazard lights, topes and tacos. It's all been a bit different to my last trip here which was Guatemala to Arizona in 4 days. Till next time.
UKbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:30 AM   #22370
goodwithafork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Where did you end up after you left Banamichi? Sahuaripa, Yecora or the falls?
I ended up staying in Sahuripa. Yecora was to early in the day for a stop, although I did eat lunch there. Lots of great riding :)
goodwithafork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #22371
goodwithafork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
The road from Parral to DGO will be a mess for years to come as they widen it to 4 lanes. It is much more fun to head west at Santa Maria del Oro to Tepehuanes and Nuevo Ideal. This route is all new pavement and curvy mountain roads.

From Durango some of the best riding in Mexico is to the west of you. You should take the toll road to Mazatlán for a day and take the free road back.

Then from Durango you can either go SW back town to the coast from Mezquital to Ruiz and San Blas Nayarit or you can jump back over to Zacatecas from the Jesus Maria areas. You could also just head straight to Zacatecas and Guanajuato. They are both very nice interesting and scenic colonial cities.

Suerte!
Thanks for the suggestions SR. I think I may pack up here shortly and head East. I'm going to be visiting a friend in Puerto Vallarta on the way home, so I'll likely nail those roads between the coast and Durango on the way back up!
goodwithafork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #22372
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Disappearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I noticed.
However, since you were up to your arse in alligators fixing headlights, I figured discretion was called for.
But now, in the breaking news file, it seems that you'll need it to hold that old KLR together! I can imagine that someone got a talking to over that latest episode.

I think the reason that KTM riders wear orange is so BMW riders can see them disappearing in the distance...
yes...in the rear view mirrors.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #22373
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,823
Watching a History Channel special on Dr Martin Luther King - including an interesting profile on his whack job assassin James Earl Ray.

Ray had a bizarre Mexico connection back in the day. Check out the story on Wikipedia by searching his name.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:56 AM   #22374
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Watching a History Channel special on Dr Martin Luther King - including an interesting profile on his whack job assassin James Earl Ray.

Ray had a bizarre Mexico connection back in the day. Check out the story on Wikipedia by searching his name.
I see the connection - jilted by a hooker. Btw, where does the term 'hooker' come from?
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #22375
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
...where does the term 'hooker' come from?
BMW dealers mothers?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #22376
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Hooker

Quote:
I see the connection - jilted by a hooker. Btw, where does the term 'hooker' come from?
From Wikipedia: Although a popular etymology connects "hooker" with Joseph Hooker, a Union general in the American Civil War, the word more likely comes from the concentration of prostitutes around the shipyards and ferry terminal of the Corlear's Hook area of Manhattan in the 1820s, who came to be referred to as "hookers".[12] A streetwalker solicits customers on the streets or in public places, while a call girl makes appointments by phone.

I don't know about that Mike Mike. Bavaria is known for beer. Austria is known for Hitler, Freud and Schwarzenegger. Just sayin'
Old 04-05-2014, 02:35 PM   #22377
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
The lenient civil war General Joseph Hooker theory has been debunked. There really is no definitive answer. This is the best that I could find.

According to the excellent The Slang of Sin by Tom Dalzell, he dismisses the Gen. Hooker story which has pretty much caught on as a clever way of explaining the etymology of the word. Playboy is one of the biggest propaganda vehicles of this story (May 1968).
But George Thompson of NYU, found a usage of hooker in the Sept. 25,1835 New York Transcript where a witness explains to a judge that a hooker is called such as "she allers hangs round the hook, your honner"{sic} The hook in question being Corlear's Hook in NYC. And this explanation has caught on with Bartletts among other sources.
Others include: the habit of these women hooking arms with their prospects (Shady Ladies of the West), a district frequented by criminals or the survival of the 16th-18th century English cant, "hook ," to trick, to catch, to take by angling (American Tramp and Underworld Slang). Yet another derives from the Hook in Baltimore, a section where the town's sailors were picked up by tarts. (Washington Confidential). Finally it may have come from the English Dialect Dictionary as a person who stands outside a merchant's warehouse to invite customers to enter.
As for where they go, I am not sure. The famed Admiral Wilson Boulevard in Camden on the way into Philly was a well known hooker spot featured in several movies including 12 Monkeys and Stealing Home. When the Republican Convention came to Philadelphia, the Governor Christine Whitman had the section owners paid off and the whole strip was demolished within the span of two weeks.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:39 PM   #22378
PhillipsMetal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
SR - my next trip down I am planning on riding from Durango to Matzalan. Looking at the map, I am guessing the most interesting ride is the free road. Is this correct? What are the differences between the cuota and libre on the ride between Durango and Matzalan?

My general route right now is to enter south of Corpus Christi, Texas, go around Monterey on some route that have been recently discussed on here, to Torreon, then Durango to Matzalan. From there is is up the coast to Guaymas, then Hermosillo to Copper Canyon and out.

All of this is open to suggestions. I just need to leave Alabama and end up in outside Guaymas for about a week to visit a friend and have the wife fly down to San Carlos for a quick vacation. Copper Canyon would be nice on the way out if I have time since I want to finish up some exploring there. If Copper Canyon doesn't work out, I will exit around Bisbee so I can visit Turkeycreek.

The Durango to Matzalan ride was key to picking this route, so I would like to work it in, unless there is something much better. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #22379
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsMetal View Post
SR - my next trip down I am planning on riding from Durango to Matzalan. Looking at the map, I am guessing the most interesting ride is the free road. Is this correct? What are the differences between the cuota and libre on the ride between Durango and Matzalan?

My general route right now is to enter south of Corpus Christi, Texas, go around Monterey on some route that have been recently discussed on here, to Torreon, then Durango to Matzalan. From there is is up the coast to Guaymas, then Hermosillo to Copper Canyon and out.

All of this is open to suggestions. I just need to leave Alabama and end up in outside Guaymas for about a week to visit a friend and have the wife fly down to San Carlos for a quick vacation. Copper Canyon would be nice on the way out if I have time since I want to finish up some exploring there. If Copper Canyon doesn't work out, I will exit around Bisbee so I can visit Turkeycreek.

The Durango to Matzalan ride was key to picking this route, so I would like to work it in, unless there is something much better. Thanks.

You are planning a fantastic trip....
My 2 cents on getting to Saltillo. You can leave CC and cross at Anzalduas (south of Mission TX by McAllen) take the free road to Horse Tail Falls and spend the night there. It is a very nice resort. Then take 20 through the mountains to Saltillo.

The resort

t

20 through the mountains.

The Espinaso. Free road.

Copper Canyon

You are planning a great ride!!!!!
Enjoy

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #22380
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsMetal View Post
The toll road is actually kind of interesting for an Autopista. It has the highest cable stayed bridge in the world on it and the engineering is spectacular, but the old free road by all other measures is more fun on a motorcycle. Heading west from Durango, I usually take the Autopista until a few Kms past El Salto and then get on the old road.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote