Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2014, 11:10 AM   #22996
goodwithafork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
^ Give Mahahual a try

Subcomm, Termite, and I went there and hung out, scuba diving and checking out the local scene. It's way out of the way and, thankfully, way off the radar map that centers on Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel etc.
Looks fantastic! That may be the ticket, thank you! I'll start making my way to the Yucatan on Tuesday I expect. Any other suggestions (or things to see between here and there) are also most welcome.

Cheers!

edit: Oh and for reference as far as cost for 'cheap' - I've been staying in this bungalow for 250 pesos a night. Is that attainable on the Yucatan? Thanks!

goodwithafork screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 11:26 AM
goodwithafork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #22997
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,749
Xcalak

Here'a a video right up your alley

Check out where Xcalak is on the map - once you see where, you'll want to go there
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 12:47 PM   #22998
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Check out the artsy fartsy scene at Merida, and explore the coast north from there.

Jump into one of the countless cenotes. Dos Ojos is probably the most famous, but there are tons more.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:14 PM   #22999
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Uxmal is down below Merida. It has a great elliptical pyramid worth seeing.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:18 PM   #23000
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Seeing the word "Uxmal" and thinking aloud how it is correctly pronounced, reminds me of the precept that 98% of gringos cannot pronounce Chichén Itzá correctly
Old 05-31-2014, 01:28 PM   #23001
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Seeing the word "Uxmal" and thinking aloud how it is correctly pronounced, reminds me of the precept that 98% of gringos cannot pronounce Chichén Itzá correctly
Only 98% ?
Old 05-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #23002
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

The majority of Chichén Itzá visitors come from cruise ships. Ergo the percentage is probably higher.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #23003
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

While we're at it, back at Xcalak as a word that will clear your throat
Old 05-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #23004
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Goodwithafork, there are countless interesting small town locations all over the Yucatan that could fulfill your need for hotels with wifi and lower tourist density.
If you must have saltwater to soak in you could try Celestun, Rio Lagartos or it's neighbour San Felipe
If pretty blue water freshwater lagoons are wanted then pick Bacalar
If cenote water is your thing then pick any of the towns in the Zona de Cenotes arcing around south - and - east of Merida . And there are plenty of Mayan towns among them , like Oxkutzcab .Many towns were built around a cenote or a Mayan ruins site , not just the big- name ones . ( psst , all in the book )
Oh , if you do " jump into a cenote" check first if there is a ladder or pathway OUT
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #23005
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

If you want to see huge flocks of Flamingos head up around Celestun.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:09 PM   #23006
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
If you want to see huge flocks of Flamingos head up around Celestun.
Not on my personal list, but thanks for the suggestion
Old 05-31-2014, 07:00 PM   #23007
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Mrrida is surprisingly cheap, but it's going to be getting warm and rains start soon.
Thought about Campeche at all?
Any TelCel center should be able to get you going with a chip and phone cards.
However, Mexico is expensive for cell communication.
Boca del Rio just installed free internet in certain municipal areas for public use. Progressive mayor.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #23008
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,614
Quote:
Have heard a few Chilangos get that one wrong.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 09:30 PM   #23009
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,614
Now to wrap up the RR from this past week.

For Sunday, May 25th, the plan was to return to Mexico City to make up for my brief visit earlier that had left some hurt feelings behind. By Saturday that had changed to joining my friends in Tolantongo where they were heading for a church baptism service. Turns out it's a popular place for this and I had missed seeing it last year with Terrapinneck, SlowOldGuy & nephews due to having to burn off the flu in Naranjo.

So I tell Carolyn goodbye and I'm off for Tolantongo.

Futbol in Bondojito

Hidalgo in Huichapan

Approaching the entrance to Las Grutas de Tolantongo. The terrain is extreme and beautiful

Entering the park pavement soon yields to 2-3 miles of well-groomed dirt switchback descending to Rio Tolantongo

I park under a tree in front of Hotel La Huerta, change clothes and start hiking upstream to find my group. The service had just begun after which we ate & ate & ate

Marcos and Brenda will soon pass this way

Two of my favorite pix of the day

Getting ready to eat

But first a little walkabout

Game on!

Lil' Princess

Then I'm off for Tamazunchale

I race to beat a thunderstorm to Ixmiquilpan but it hits me hard just before I turn north on the Panamerican Hwy. My rain gear failed me but the bike's Rain Mode worked great

I roll into Tamaz just at dark and easily find Sjoerd's recommended Hotel Guzman on the main boulevard. Nice folks, great parking, $310 pesos for a nice clean room with private bath and "clima" (AC).

The hotel is situated smack in the middle of Tamaz's shopping district so there's restaurants, ferreterias, etc., just outside my door. I enjoyed the Arrachera Huasteca at Las Palmas one block down

After breakfast Monday morning at La Huasteca it is still raining so I set out to find duct tape for my rain suit top and grab a few pix along the way

"Before"

"After"

Oranges are really big in these parts

As are Gorditas

Success!

Of course by then the rain has stopped but I go ahead and tape up the seams on my rain top and head out for Santiago to meet some TWT riders just finishing their Galeana area ride

Tropic of Cancer monument

Of course I must stop at La Picota to see my friend Sergio and buy a little product

I get to Santiago with plenty daylight left and work my way to the central plaza where I discover that the TWT guys have left early for home but not without leaving me with a hotel recommendation. I splurge my last night in Mexico

At $1450 pesos for a standard room I doubt it's in Sjoerd's Guide.

While showering the lights began to flicker then loud pops from the shower head sent me scurrying. One call to the front desk had Manuel at my door. He informs me that the flickering was seen throughout the hotel. I get a Jr. Suite upgrade for my troubles

Views out my door

For dinner I decide to try the new Argentine restaurant across the plaza. It was a very good decision

The Filete de Loma (rare) with spinach, asparagus and a nice Chianti - no, make that a Chilean red - finished with Flan Napolitano and cappuccino brings the day to a nice close

Enjoyed Machaca con Huevos a la Mexicana and a great view of the cathedral for breakfast

Manuel is the guy to know at Las Palomas. He speaks English well and is an all-around good guy

Leaving Santiago Tuesday morning I loop around "La Boca", past La Cueva de Murciélagos to Juárez where I pick up the periferico around Monterrey and head for Puente Colombia and home

"La Boca"

La Cueva de Murciélagos

MX10 to Juárez

A brief stop just short of home to hand off a "sample" of La Picota and take in a little brew

That's about it.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 10:27 PM
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #23010
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Very nice report !