Old 07-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #23776
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Ejole! Cam regearing?
Ugh, yes!

Mike first thought I'd popped a valve seat in Mexico. Motorrad finally authorized the tear-down and the head was fine. A Motorrad tech listened to the engine by phone and said it was the cam gears. Of course, no one knew WTH he was talking about. Turns out to be a known (IF you're German) problem with the new LC motors: cam shaft end sprockets falling out of spec. By a LOT. Four different spec kits are available to get it back right. Mike's awaiting the 2nd kit as I write this. Accounts for the loss of power ACA-VER leg.

Maaaaaybe next weekend I'll have a running bike. Or two........

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #23777
coolmom1211
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Food and Travel

The wine and food made me hungry. The photos were superb, The first bottle of wine looked scary.http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/icon10.gif

Naomi
coolmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #23778
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Speaking of which, check out this Bad Boy: the 170/60 R17 Twinduro on the
new GSA. Eeeeee-NOR-mous!! Can't wait for the cam re-gearing to be finished
so I can go outside and play.

Man oh Man....

That is some serious meat!

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #23779
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Navigating Reynosa

I'm planning a November trip to the Huasteca region and need a little inside info on Reynosa.

We'll be leaving the Luxo-van in Edinburg and entering over the Pharr bridge. I've done this before and know how to get from the bridge to Ciudad Mante without driving through Reynosa.

We are thinking of staying in Galeana on our last night in Mexico and winding our way up to Mex40 then taking Rt. 2 to the turn to the Pharr bridge. I've also done this before, but I'm looking for better options.

On Google Earth the route we take south to intersect Hwy 97 appears to continue over toward Mex 40 but stops just short of 40. The GE image is a couple of years old so it could be that if I'm really lucky the connection is complete now.

Has anybody used this road??

Is the an easier way to get from Galeana to Edinburg??

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #23780
andyc740
Guzzi wrangler

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
On Google Earth the route we take south to intersect Hwy 97 appears to continue over toward Mex 40 but stops just short of 40. The GE image is a couple of years old so it could be that if I'm really lucky the connection is complete now.

In January, the bypass wasn't complete all the way to 40. Coming from Galeana, I would go Linares, Montemorelos, General Teran, China, General Bravo, then pick up the 4-lane where the libre splits from the cuota. Coming in that way, I would cross at the Anzalduas bridge on the west side of Reynosa. Take the cloverleaf at the big Soriana. Just follow the signs.

There are Inmigracion and Banjercito offices at the bridge to turn in paperwork. There aren't any money exchange places at the border. If you need to exchange pesos, you can do that in McAllen.

The DSer's on here would probably recommend taking the back road out of Galeana through Rayones to Montemorelos, if you're up for some dirt.

Enjoy the Zona Huatesca!

andyc740 screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 08:08 PM
andyc740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #23781
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Sorry, I don't know if the road goes through yet. Mainly because for that route I
take the Anzalduas Bridge as Andy recommended. Routing-wise it's more straight forward than Pharr. And easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, to boot.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 07-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #23782
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
I'm planning a November trip to the Huasteca region and need a little inside info on Reynosa.

We'll be leaving the Luxo-van in Edinburg and entering over the Pharr bridge. I've done this before and know how to get from the bridge to Ciudad Mante without driving through Reynosa.

We are thinking of staying in Galeana on our last night in Mexico and winding our way up to Mex40 then taking Rt. 2 to the turn to the Pharr bridge. I've also done this before, but I'm looking for better options.

is not fully completed although you can ride through, but you will get to a toll boot and get charged 25 pesos or 30. you better stick to the known road, since you will not save much time going on this shortcut.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 PM   #23783
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Live a little! Don't be so scared . Head straight through the center of beautiful downtown Reynosa from or too the Hidalgo Texas USA.Personally I prefer this route , gets you an immediate sampler of true Mexico.
You will have no trouble finding the way to or from the border point to hook up with Mex 40 and it should be more interesting than seeing all the truck yards and stuff on the desolate western ring road.
Maybe have a peak at www. borderhelper .com and click on the Reynosa downtown crossing for some details and pictures.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #23784
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Sjoerd, that's a hard sell for riders who've seen the Border many times over a number of years and are just trying to get to the interior to explore new areas. Not dissing the Border, just sayin' not too many riders go to Mexico to explore those areas so they're trying to be time-efficient when they cross.

For me the Border has lost much of its appeal as it offers so much less than it once did. I used to love exploring the Border towns. My last Border trip was three years ago to enjoy Reynosa and ride the Los Ebanos ferry. Had a great time getting the big Harleys on/off that ferry.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:28 AM   #23785
andreweh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Cool!

Here's something to consider, if you're not already:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615832

Looking forward to your reports from the road.
I was looking at these guys I was also looking at a few others that were a bit cheaper.
andreweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:30 AM   #23786
andreweh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Two great ride reports to check out

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810189

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825139

You can fast forward to Mexico in both RRs although the Alaska and US stuff is good.
Excellent I can use all the help, and info I can get!!
andreweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #23787
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc740 View Post
In January, the bypass wasn't complete all the way to 40. Coming from Galeana, I would go Linares, Montemorelos, General Teran, China, General Bravo, then pick up the 4-lane where the libre splits from the cuota. Coming in that way, I would cross at the Anzalduas bridge on the west side of Reynosa. Take the cloverleaf at the big Soriana. Just follow the signs.

There are Inmigracion and Banjercito offices at the bridge to turn in paperwork. There aren't any money exchange places at the border. If you need to exchange pesos, you can do that in McAllen.

The DSer's on here would probably recommend taking the back road out of Galeana through Rayones to Montemorelos, if you're up for some dirt.
Quote:
Sorry, I don't know if the road goes through yet. Mainly because for that route I
take the Anzalduas Bridge as Andy recommended. Routing-wise it's more straight forward than Pharr. And easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, to boot.
Thanks for the info. I've used the route described several times to get to Pharr and Brownsville and have also exited on the unpaved roads a few different ways. The Anzalduas Bridge looks pretty good. Don't know why I haven't gone that way before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
is not fully completed although you can ride through, but you will get to a toll boot and get charged 25 pesos or 30. you better stick to the known road, since you will not save much time going on this shortcut.
TOLL?? Oh no, can't do that unless the toll is negotiable like it is down by Saltillo.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:20 PM   #23788
Jproaster
I work too much

Oddometer: 172
Hey guys.

Given that I may be meeting up with an advrider in mid-Jan, my travel plans may need tweeked. As I may have mentioned before, I'd like to plan a quick as possible route to Panajachel, Guat entering Mexico somewhere South of Corpus Christi, Tx. After spending time in Guat, I'll hopefully make enough coffee contacts to keep me busy in Chiapas and Oaxaca before meeting advriders in locations east of Mexico City.

As for travel helps, I plan to buy Bakker's guide and mine the deep, deep wisdom of regular contributors in this thread.

I plan to hit the border on either the 27th or 28th of Dec.

Thanks,
John
Jproaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #23789
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
The Anzalduas Bridge looks pretty good. Don't know why I haven't gone that way before.
If a fast and easy crossing is what you're looking for you'll be asking yourself that again when you cross.

But Sjoerd is right about Mexico riders missing out on all that the Border offers when we punch through to the interior. The Border is its own cultural region and should not be overlooked by those who've yet to explore it.

Google "Los Ebanos ferry" for starters.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #23790
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 4,037
Is this the Ebanos Ferry? This vid is old, must be from the 70's.
This vid has intrigued me for a long time.

Heading south this winter. Maybe some Texas Hill Country then Mexico.

thetourist screwed with this post 07-21-2014 at 07:27 PM
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote