Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #23776
ride4fun562
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
They found that guy Harry, in a couple pieces, be safe.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:59 AM   #23777
andyc740
Guzzi wrangler

Oddometer: 41
Buscapina!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
About every five or six hours, you make a quick pit stop. The condition is not affecting me every few minutes, but when I do go, it is like peeing out both sides if you get my drift.
Had a doctor in Mexico prescribe Buscapina when I had some stomach problems several years ago. Magic stuff. Take one of those little pills and you won't have to go for two days. It treats the symptoms, though, not the cause. If it's just a passing problem (not sure if the pun is intended), you'll be OK. If it's an infection or something else, that needs to be addressed as well.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #23778
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc740 View Post
Had a doctor in Mexico prescribe Buscapina when I had some stomach problems several years ago. Magic stuff. Take one of those little pills and you won't have to go for two days. It treats the symptoms, though, not the cause. If it's just a passing problem (not sure if the pun is intended), you'll be OK. If it's an infection or something else, that needs to be addressed as well.
Just an FYI. The primary component of Buscapina is Scopolamine. So you also won't have any problems with nausea or motion sickness. But you might be thirsty.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:11 PM   #23779
ksop
BMW GSA

Oddometer: 12
Traveling Mexico and Central America

I going to try this again. Last time I posted here, my command of the Spanish language was called into question. No problemo. I have a two questions relating to my trip preparations into Mexico and beyond for a one month journey. What type of motorcycle supplies should I carry. I plan to install new tires and fluids in Texas before I cross. Second question, preferred places to hide documentos importantes en mi motorcicleta?

Gracias
Old 07-19-2014, 03:45 PM   #23780
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksop View Post
I going to try this again. Last time I posted here, my command of the Spanish language was called into question. No problemo. I have a two questions relating to my trip preparations into Mexico and beyond for a one month journey. What type of motorcycle supplies should I carry. I plan to install new tires and fluids in Texas before I cross. Second question, preferred places to hide documentos importantes en mi motorcicleta?

Gracias
Try to determine how many miles you will travel in Mexico and estimate tire wear. Reduce tire mileage by at least 10% for bad road surfaces. If it looks like you will burn through tires start to search for dealers where you will be heading. Do the same math for your oil filter. If you use a standard spin-on auto type filter don't sweat it.

I don't hide things anymore. It just makes you crazy. Any place I can think of, someone else with a more devious mind than me will think of it too. I keep my docs n a small leather pouch I made to hold my passport, registration and insurance policy. This goes in my tank bag along with my wallet. I move the pouch and wallet to my pockets when I get off the bike. If I have room in the side cases, the tank bag goes in, if not, I bring it along. If it is just a gas/pit stop I leave the tank bag. I carry a cable with an attached lock to loop through my jacket arms and the d rings on my helmet. I can lock several jackets an 2 helmets for my riding companions. Trice hides a key attached to the frame with electrical tape to make it invisible - a great idea. I usually give a spare key to another rider (my wife) and offer to keep theirs for the ride. Enjoy Mexico
Saludos!
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #23781
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
No problemA if you are planning to bring your BMW motOcicleta to Mexico. You have a good idea to install new tires and oil at the last moment before crossing into Mexico from Texas.
Your spares to take along depend on if you expect things to wear out during the distance in Mexico. A " month" says little as you may be sitting around at a single spot for weeks. Your total accumulated on the odometer need not be huge to have an enjoyable and successful trip.It is not like you will be " hauling the mail" up and down on the Alaska Highway or coast to coast US freeways repeatedly for 30 days straight.
A 500 km day in Mexico will be the exception, or should be .If you travel 200 km in a day you will be closer to a comfortable number, 300 per would still only bag you under 10000 km for the month and that should be easily within the wear limits of most consumable parts.
Oil is available readily and plenty of lube shops will let you D I Y
for a slight fee even if you bought the " special BMW oil" elsewhere.
Perhaps bring a set of new brake pads , a spare fuse if your bike uses any , and an oil filter if the distance covered warrants it. These are bike specific items and difficult to find in Mexico.BMW oil filters MAY interchange with several others but their numbers do NOT correspond , a
company secret ?
Same for spark plugs,BMW spec are a rare number on store shelves so get a fresh set installed and you will be good, you can put the older ones back in later to " use them up"
Light bulbs might be on the list but are not critical , they are standard numbers sold at most auto parts stores . Even if you blew out all your bulbs it should not be a problem because , of course , you will not be riding at night. verdad?
Tire wear is a variable depending on load, riding style and somewhat less on road surface per sé.
A heavy bike like a loaded GS ridden fast will wear tires faster than if ridden at a sedate pace. If you insist on sliding the back end around dirt road corners throwing a spray of sand and rocks you can wear out tires in a day . But it reads like the missus may be passenger so those dirt roosting antics are unlikely.
Definitely do bring a tire plugging kit and KNOW how to use it from actual practice and bring a pump . Hopefully you have a center stand on the bike, makes tire maintenance much easier.
Bring a set of tools , not the non existant bit BMW now gives out to purvey the image of reliability. It need not be a fancy set in a designer holster, just bring the proper size wrenches and Torx
tools to remove the wheels, remove covers, tighten loose fasteners . Go through your tool box and pick out what you may need along the road and to change your brake pads and the oil filter
Other than that you should be set to go, have fun .

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 07:15 AM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #23782
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,943
Apply this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I don't hide things anymore. It just makes you crazy. Any place I can think of, someone else with a more devious mind than me will think of it too.
To this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
hides a key attached to the frame with electrical tape to make it invisible - a great idea.
I opt for a second key on a locking carabiner on my riding gear. Carabiner locks through a belt loop with the keys zipped into the pants pocket.

When I remove the key from the ignition switch I put it on a lanyard around my neck. That's a good idea I got from Tricepilot.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:25 AM   #23783
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
You have a good idea to install new tires and oil at the last moment before crossing into Mexico from Texas.
Speaking of which, check out this Bad Boy: the 170/60 R17 Twinduro on the
new GSA. Eeeeee-NOR-mous!! Can't wait for the cam re-gearing to be finished
so I can go outside and play.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #23784
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,466
Ejole! Cam regearing?
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #23785
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Ejole! Cam regearing?
Ugh, yes!

Mike first thought I'd popped a valve seat in Mexico. Motorrad finally authorized the tear-down and the head was fine. A Motorrad tech listened to the engine by phone and said it was the cam gears. Of course, no one knew WTH he was talking about. Turns out to be a known (IF you're German) problem with the new LC motors: cam shaft end sprockets falling out of spec. By a LOT. Four different spec kits are available to get it back right. Mike's awaiting the 2nd kit as I write this. Accounts for the loss of power ACA-VER leg.

Maaaaaybe next weekend I'll have a running bike. Or two........

Old 07-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #23786
coolmom1211
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Food and Travel

The wine and food made me hungry. The photos were superb, The first bottle of wine looked scary.http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/icon10.gif

Naomi
coolmom1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #23787
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Speaking of which, check out this Bad Boy: the 170/60 R17 Twinduro on the
new GSA. Eeeeee-NOR-mous!! Can't wait for the cam re-gearing to be finished
so I can go outside and play.

Man oh Man....

That is some serious meat!

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #23788
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Navigating Reynosa

I'm planning a November trip to the Huasteca region and need a little inside info on Reynosa.

We'll be leaving the Luxo-van in Edinburg and entering over the Pharr bridge. I've done this before and know how to get from the bridge to Ciudad Mante without driving through Reynosa.

We are thinking of staying in Galeana on our last night in Mexico and winding our way up to Mex40 then taking Rt. 2 to the turn to the Pharr bridge. I've also done this before, but I'm looking for better options.

On Google Earth the route we take south to intersect Hwy 97 appears to continue over toward Mex 40 but stops just short of 40. The GE image is a couple of years old so it could be that if I'm really lucky the connection is complete now.

Has anybody used this road??

Is the an easier way to get from Galeana to Edinburg??

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #23789
andyc740
Guzzi wrangler

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
On Google Earth the route we take south to intersect Hwy 97 appears to continue over toward Mex 40 but stops just short of 40. The GE image is a couple of years old so it could be that if I'm really lucky the connection is complete now.

Has anybody used this road??

In January, the bypass wasn't complete all the way to 40. Coming from Galeana, I would go Linares, Montemorelos, General Teran, China, General Bravo, then pick up the 4-lane where the libre splits from the cuota. Coming in that way, I would cross at the Anzalduas bridge on the west side of Reynosa. Take the cloverleaf at the big Soriana. Just follow the signs.

There are Inmigracion and Banjercito offices at the bridge to turn in paperwork. There aren't any money exchange places at the border. If you need to exchange pesos, you can do that in McAllen.

The DSer's on here would probably recommend taking the back road out of Galeana through Rayones to Montemorelos, if you're up for some dirt.

Enjoy the Zona Huatesca!

andyc740 screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 08:08 PM
andyc740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #23790
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
Sorry, I don't know if the road goes through yet. Mainly because for that route I
take the Anzalduas Bridge as Andy recommended. Routing-wise it's more straight forward than Pharr. And easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy, to boot.