http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #23792
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
I would love to ride there but don't have the gonads to do it alone.Mabe I can talk a few of my riding buddys to go.
"I find I'm so excited I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel. A free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I can make it across the Border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope......."

- Ellis Boyd 'Red' Redding, The Shawshank Redemption

Our fears may at times yield to nerve, but they must surely yield to hope. I hope you find a companion or two and make your trip. You might even find someone here on advrider. Consider opening a thread in Trip Planning to see if there are others interested in joining you. It's been done many times before.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:37 AM   #23793
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
I would love to ride there but don't have the gonads to do it alone.Mabe I can talk a few of my riding buddys to go.
Nice to see what passes for the 5th Estate these days, particularly in the USA, is still pumping out enough misinformation about its neighbor to keep people ignorant to the facts. Damn shame you don't feel like you have the gonads to ride in a place that some of us ride everyday. And some ride in a great deal every year.

It doesn't take gonads to ride in Mexico, it takes common sense.

Anyone who tells you different either knows nothing about Mexico or wants to come off as some sort of tough guy. In short, they are full of sht and prepetuating a myth.

Ride to the border, cross it, and enjoy.

It is that simple.

The freedom that you feel from shedding the ignorance draped on you by sources that should know better will be addictive but most of all it will be enlightening to find out just how much of a prisoner you are in your own country and your own mind.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:08 AM   #23794
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

So there I was being all sweet and inspirational-like when all of the sudden "WHAM!!", you go and lay the plain truth on the poor guy.

I like this part most. Such a gilded cage we live in these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The freedom that you feel from shedding the ignorance draped on you by sources that should know better will be addictive but most of all it will be enlightening to find out just how much of a prisoner you are in your own country and your own mind.
Hope he takes you up on it. There....full circle.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 07-23-2014, 07:13 AM   #23795
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,117
Mexican Cartel takes out another motorcycle adventurer:

http://canadamotoguide.com/2014/07/2...er-found-dead/
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #23796
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Another??

'Splain, please.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #23797
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Head south, it's safer than a school, ship yard,post office....

Good judgement, road smarts and a normal set of cajones will get you through Mexico and beyond safely, but tell everyone that. Two-up solo with my wife on the mainland and the baja as well any times with my regular buds, nothing but good hospitality.

Leaving for Guatemala in December with my wife and my daughter (on her 650 GS). From Tucson, probably ride to Santa Rosalia, catch the Mazatlan ferry, work the Pacific coast to Talum - punch across to Belize if time permits, then head north via the colonial cites, exit at Naco or Agua Prieta. Not my first time doing this but my wife and daughter haven't done it on the ground, so off we go.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #23798
GeauxBiker
Aventurero motocicle

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post

I am only aware of Harry Devert. That's been reported and discussed here a good while back. Is there another?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #23799
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post
Good judgement, road smarts and a normal set of cajones will get you through Mexico and beyond safely, but tell everyone that. Two-up solo with my wife on the mainland and the baja as well any times with my regular buds, nothing but good hospitality.

Leaving for Guatemala in December with my wife and my daughter (on her 650 GS). From Tucson, probably ride to Santa Rosalia, catch the Mazatlan ferry, work the Pacific coast to Talum - punch across to Belize if time permits, then head north via the colonial cites, exit at Naco or Agua Prieta. Not my first time doing this but my wife and daughter haven't done it on the ground, so off we go.

You can replace cajones with a LOAD OF RESPECT for the people and sincere appreciation for the country and you will have more fun and enjoy this country and your ride more.

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #23800
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post

Your source is right on top of things. These sad developments have been reported extensivly elsewhere including CNN, the NYT others. The report also talks about mysterious messages and phone calls. This has not been reported anywhere else nor has the tidbit about ransom. That was all conjecture. Crappy reporting, one would expect better from professional journalists.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #23801
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrab View Post

You are so right. 20 million foreign tourists visit Mexico every year. More than 99.9995% come home safe.

http://www.losarcossonora.com/index.php/banamichi/safe

Let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
Saludos!
Old 07-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #23802
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

People who are worried about visiting Mexico because there are problems in some areas need to realize how big Mexico is. Here are some road distances for perspective:
- Nogales to Zihuatanejo - 1344 miles
- Frankfurt to Donesk, Ukraine - 1500 miles.

About 3 hrs or less drive time difference
Old 07-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #23803
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Traveling in Mexico..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
You can replace cajones with a LOAD OF RESPECT for the people and sincere appreciation for the country and you will have more fun and enjoy this country and your ride more.

Well said Roy!

But just in case.................

SchizzMan screwed with this post 07-23-2014 at 10:09 AM Reason: add pic
Old 07-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #23804
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Your source is right on top of things. These sad developments have been reported extensivly elsewhere including CNN, the NYT others. The report also talks about mysterious messages and phone calls. This has not been reported anywhere else nor has the tidbit about ransom. That was all conjecture. Crappy reporting, one would expect better from professional journalists.
Yes, one would, if journalism was still a profession. Now its just a place where "heads" fill space and regurgitate what script writers have written in order to get viewers and readers.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #23805
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
... and unlike the Ukraine they have never blown a jetliner loaded with noncombatant foreign civilians out of the sky over Mexico
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote