ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2014, 09:22 AM   #24106
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
I saw Doc live in California a year and a half ago. Hard to believe an 85 year old trumpet player could still play like that. Gives me another reason to plan a ride down that way if I'd be able to catch a performance.
His (lively) tour schedule is on his web page.

But yes, it would be a hoot to catch him in SMA, doing some gig in one of the local joints.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #24107
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Oddometer: 4,150
Weather lore

"Mackerel skies and mare's tails, make tall ships carry low sails"...



Who needs Accuweather when you have backyard and and a mariner's proverb?

Just the mackerel part of the equation?

"Mackerel in the sky, three days dry"

or

"Mackerel sky, mackerel sky, never long wet, never long dry"

Hmmmm...the mariners are mixed on mackerels.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #24108
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 1,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
"Mackerel skies and mare's tails, make tall ships carry low sails"...



Who needs Accuweather when you have backyard and and a mariner's proverb?

Just the mackerel part of the equation?

"Mackerel in the sky, three days dry"

or

"Mackerel sky, mackerel sky, never long wet, never long dry"

Hmmmm...the mariners are mixed on mackerels.
Red sky at night, sailor's delight. Red sky in morning, sailors take warning. Kinda works for riders too.
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:02 AM   #24109
acejones
Beastly Adventurer
 
acejones's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: MS. Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 5,267
"Mackerel sky, storm is nigh"
__________________
I got tired of being here, so now I'm there
acejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #24110
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
His (lively) tour schedule is on his web page.

But yes, it would be a hoot to catch him in SMA, doing some gig in one of the local joints.
So far I've come up dry on SMA play dates.

Maybe upgrade to GoogleFoo 2.0.

Orrrrrrrr, fly to Sin City and take in the show there........
__________________
"You don't take photos for yourself, you take them for the old man you will become - if you are lucky." - Falang

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:55 AM   #24111
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,748
I don't think I'd fly to Vegas just to catch Doc Severinsen, but I would go there in part for something like Interbike.

To me it's interesting he picked SMA of all the places to move to after his time with Johnny Carson and the Tonight Show. San Miguel took a bit of a hit after the 08/09 downturn but per the readings I linked to a few posts back, it's really on the comeback swing. And surprisingly, again as the story goes, the resurgent investment money is coming from wealthy cougar types from places like the Hamptons and Palm Beach. If you can trust what you read, single ex pat women out number single ex pat men in SMA 7 to 1.

I'm not saying to the bachelors here to rush out and buy a leisure suit, but the idea may have some appeal for someone in such a market
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #24112
jimmex
Guero con moto
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I don't think I'd fly to Vegas just to catch Doc Severinsen, but I would go there in part for something like Interbike.

To me it's interesting he picked SMA of all the places to move to after his time with Johnny Carson and the Tonight Show. San Miguel took a bit of a hit after the 08/09 downturn but per the readings I linked to a few posts back, it's really on the comeback swing. And surprisingly, again as the story goes, the resurgent investment money is coming from wealthy cougar types from places like the Hamptons and Palm Beach. If you can trust what you read, single ex pat women out number single ex pat men in SMA 7 to 1.

I'm not saying to the bachelors here to rush out and buy a leisure suit, but the idea may have some appeal for someone in such a market
Sounds like a good time to be in the service industry.
__________________
Guero from Texas
COHVCO
AMA
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:02 AM   #24113
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Sounds like a good time to be in the service industry.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:17 AM   #24114
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,748
SMA full disclosure: Miguelito (may he rest in peace) told me the story (right there in SMA the last time I saw him) that a gringo ex pat living in San Miguel did some dirty business dealings with some certain locals and got on their wrong side of right. When he was never seen or heard from again there was a bit of a local scare and word got out that did not help the real estate market there.

I think Kiko had a similar story as pertains to Ajijic and ex pats who scrooge the local contractors, or something like that.

It isn't always just the economy.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #24115
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I don't think I'd fly to Vegas just to catch Doc Severinsen......
I would. But then I left work to drive Folsom - Burbank at the last minute so I could camp out on the studio sidewalk to attend the last Johnny Carson Tonight Show.

Doc is 87 years old. If seeing him perform is a priority, well..................
__________________
"You don't take photos for yourself, you take them for the old man you will become - if you are lucky." - Falang

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #24116
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I think Kiko had a similar story as pertains to Ajijic and ex pats who scrooge the local contractors, or something like that.
That's the main reason you're not likely to see me standing next to Big Kevin on the streets of Mazatlan or Pto. Vallarta.
__________________
"You don't take photos for yourself, you take them for the old man you will become - if you are lucky." - Falang

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #24117
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
That's the main reason you're not likely to see me standing next to Big Kevin on the streets of Mazatlan or Pto. Vallarta.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #24118
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 1,157
I don't have trouble with anyone. Maybe the rumor that I'm a NY mafioso in the witness protection program is gaining traction. We call it "Banămichihammer"


__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:19 PM   #24119
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,748
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #24120
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 1,157
Hey, I ain't sayin' nothin' - I'm just sayin'
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015